Guided Free Walking Tours
Book free guided walking tours in Thessaloniki Municipal Unit.
Guided Sightseeing Tours
Book guided sightseeing tours and activities in Thessaloniki Municipal Unit.
Explore Thessaloniki Municipal Unit in Greece with this free self-guided walking tour. The map shows the route of the tour. Below is a list of attractions, including their details.Individual Sights in Thessaloniki Municipal Unit
Sight 1: Sculpture TIF
The Sculpture Cor-ten or Sculpture DETH is an artwork of the Greek sculptor George Zongolopoulos that was placed to the northern entrance of the Thessaloniki International Fair (DETH) in 1966.
Sight 2: Παναγία Δεξιά
The Church of Our Lady of Dexia is a parish church of Thessaloniki and belongs to the Holy Metropolis of Thessaloniki. It is located on Egnatia Street, in the city center. The architectural type of the temple is cruciform with a dome and two bells.
Sight 3: Arch of Galerius
One of the most characteristic monuments of Thessaloniki is the Triumphal Arch of Galerius, also known as Kamara, located on the upper side of Egnatia Street and a short distance from the Rotunda. It is one of the most famous meeting points for residents and visitors of the city.
Sight 4: Ροτόντα
Rotonda is a vaulted circular building of the 4th century in Thessaloniki, similar to the Pantheon of Rome. Its initial use is not known but so far various cases have been formulated: that there was a temple of Zeus, or the Kabeiri, that it was built by Caesar Galerio as his mausoleum, or as a throne hall in the palace complex. It was transformed into a temple during the Early Christian period, which some researchers identify with the temple of the Asomatos forces mentioned by Byzantine sources. In 1591 he was transformed into a Muslim mosque by Sheikh Hortaci Suleiman Efendi. After the liberation of Thessaloniki in 1912, it was dedicated to Saint George. It is included in the early Christian and Byzantine monuments of Thessaloniki as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Sight 5: St. Panteleimon
The Church of Saint Panteleimon is an old catholic Byzantine monastery of Thessaloniki and a World Heritage Site. It is located in the central part of the city, at the meeting of Egnatia and Iasonidou streets. It belongs to the type of composite four-columned cruciform inscribed with narthex and perimeter portico, which east ends in two chapels.
Sight 6: Άγιος Αθανάσιος
The church of St. Athanasius is a Christian church in Thessaloniki. The present church was built in 1818. It is located in the center of the city, at the intersection of Egnatia and Socrates streets.
Sight 7: Αχειροποίητος
The church of Panagia Akhiroiitos is an early Christian basilica of Thessaloniki, which is currently preserved in the same form as it was built in the 5th century - which makes it unique in the eastern Mediterranean. It is located on Agia Sophia Street, opposite the Makedomachon Square and its foundation is placed in the period 450-475. It is dedicated to Theotokos and its name is due to the image of the Theotokos tied to the temple.
Sight 8: Αγία Σοφία
The Hagia Sophia is a church located in Thessaloniki, Greece. With its current structure dating from the 7th century, it is one of the oldest churches in the city still standing today. Because of its outstanding Byzantine art and architecture, in addition to its importance in early Christianity, it is one of several monuments in Thessaloniki listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1988.
Sight 9: Statue of Chrisostomos of Smyrna
Chrysostomos Kalafatis also known as Saint Chrysostomos of Smyrna, Chrysostomos of Smyrna and Metropolitan Chrysostom, was the Greek Orthodox metropolitan bishop of Smyrna (İzmir) between 1910 and 1914, and again from 1919 until his death in 1922. He was born in Triglia, Turkey in 1867. He aided the Greek campaign in Smyrna in 1919 and was subsequently killed by a lynch mob after Turkish troops occupied the city at the end of the Greco-Turkish War of 1919–1922. He was declared a martyr and a saint of the Eastern Orthodox Church by the Holy Synod of the Church of Greece on 4 November 1992.
Sight 10: Grigorios Palamas Church (Metropolitan Church of Thessaloniki)
The Metropolitan Church of Saint Gregory Palamas is a Church in Thessaloniki, Greece. It belongs to the Metropolis of Thessaloniki and is under the administration of the Orthodox Church of Greece. It is dedicated to Saint Gregory Palamas, a 14th-century theologian known for his writings and teachings on hesychasm.
Sight 11: Museum of the Macedonian Struggle
The Museum for the Macedonian Struggle is located in the centre of the city Thessaloniki in Central Macedonia, Greece. It occupies a neo-classical building designed by the renowned architect Ernst Ziller and built in 1893. In its six ground-floor rooms the museum graphically illustrates the modern and contemporary history of Greek Macedonia. It presents the social, economic, political and military developments that shaped the presence of Hellenism in the region. This approach enables the visitor to form a global picture, not only of the revolutionary movements in the area, but also of the rapidly changing society of the southern Balkans and its agonizing struggles to balance between tradition and modernization.
Sight 12: Giahoudi Haman Turkish Bath
The Yahudi Hamam is an Ottoman-era bath in Thessaloniki, Greece. Located at the intersection of Vasileos Irakleiou and Frangini streets, the bath dates to the 16th century. Its name means "Bath of the Jews", as the area was predominantly settled by Sephardi Jews. It was also named Pazar Hamam, due to its location in the central market-place of the city.
Sight 13: Memorial for Grigoris Lambrakis
Grigoris Lambrakis was a Greek politician, physician, athlete, and lecturer. He participated in track and field sports and was a member of the faculty of the School of Medicine at the University of Athens. A member of the Greek resistance to Axis rule during World War II, he later became a prominent anti-war activist. His assassination by right-wing zealots that were covertly supported by the police and military provoked mass protests and led to a political crisis.
Sight 14: Panagia Chalkeon
The Church of Panagia Chalkeon is an 11th-century Byzantine church in the northern Greek city of Thessaloniki. The church's well-preserved Byzantine architecture and testimony to the importance of Thessaloniki in early and medieval Christianity led it to be inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1988 along with other Paleochristian and Byzantine monuments of Thessaloniki.
Sight 15: Ρωμαϊκή Αγορά
The Roman Forum of Thessaloniki is the ancient Roman-era forum of the city, located at the upper side of Aristotelous Square.
Sight 16: Moni Latomou
The Church of Hosios David is a late 5th-century church in Thessaloniki, Greece. During Byzantine times, it functioned as the katholikon of the Latomos Monastery, and was adorned with rich mosaic and fresco decoration, which was renewed in the 12th–14th centuries. The church is dedicated to David the Dendrite. Many surviving elements of the Byzantine decoration are of high artistic quality, especially the 5th-century apse mosaic the Icon of Christ of Latomos. Under Ottoman rule, the building was converted into a mosque, until it was reconsecrated as a Greek Orthodox church in 1921, thus receiving its present name. In 1988, this monument was included among the Paleochristian and Byzantine monuments of Thessaloniki on the list of World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.
Sight 17: Ιερός Ναός Ταξιαρχών
The Pammegistoi Taxiarches church is a Byzantine church located in the Upper Town of Thessaloniki, Greece. The church was built in the 14th century, and served as a mosque during the Ottoman period, before it was turned back into a church in 1912. The church underwent significant modifications during the 1950s and the 1960s, and unlike other Byzantine churches in Thessaloniki, a new section was added in neo-Byzantine style.
Sight 18: St. Nicolas Orphanos
The Church of Agios Nikolaos Orphanos is an old Byzantine Catholic monastery of Thessaloniki and a World Heritage monument, built in the early 14th century. It is located in the north-east corner of the Upper city, within the walls, between Herodotou and Apostolos Paul. The name of the temple, Orphanos or Orphans, is first found in sources of the 17th and 18th centuries and is identified with the unknown owner of the monument belonging to the family of Orphans or the function of an orphanage in the monastery, whether attributed to the status of St. Nicholas as the protector of the widows and orphans. As the founder of the temple, Nikos Skoutios Kapandritis Orfanos, as well as the Serbian Milutin clay, who, due to his marriage to Princess Simonida, had close ties with Thessaloniki.
Sight 19: Ανδριάντας Βιζυηνού
Georgios Vizyinos was a Greek short story writer and poet. He is considered highly influential in Greek literature.
Sight 20: Teloglion Foundation of Art A.U.Th.
The Teloglion Fine Arts Foundation was established in Thessaloniki, Central Macedonia, Greece in 1972. It was named after Nestor and Aliki Telloglou, who donated their art collection and their entire property to the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. Later the university established this foundation in order to house the art collection and make it available to the public.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.
GPX-Download For navigation apps and GPS devices you can download the tour as a GPX file.