Here you can find interesting sights in Thessaloniki Municipal Unit, Greece. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 18 sights are available in Thessaloniki Municipal Unit, Greece.Back to the list of cities in Greece
1. Άγιος Νικόλαος Ορφανός
The Church of St. Nicholas of Orphanos is an old Byzantine Catholic monastery of Thessaloniki and a World Heritage Site, built in the early 14th century. It is located in the northeast corner of the Upper Town, within the walls, between Herodotou and Apostolos Pavlos streets. The name of the Temple, Orphanos or the Orphans, is first encountered in 17th and 18th centuries sources and identifies with the unknown property of the monument belonging to the Orphan family or to the operation of the orphanage in the area of the monastery, or attributed to the status Nicholas as the patron of the widows and the orphans. The founder of the temple has been nominated by the researchers by Nikon Skouterios Kapandritis Orphanos, as well as Serbian Milutin Kralis who, due to his marriage to Princess Simonida, had close ties with Thessaloniki.
The Heptapyrgion, modern Eptapyrgio, also popularly known by its Ottoman Turkish name Yedi Kule, is a Byzantine and Ottoman-era fortress situated on the north-eastern corner of the Acropolis of Thessaloniki in Greece. Despite its name, which in both languages means "Fortress of Seven Towers", it features ten, and was probably named after the Yedikule Fortress in Constantinople. It served as the major redoubt of the city's acropolis, as well as the seat of its garrison commander in Ottoman times, until the late 19th century. It was then converted to a prison, which remained open until 1989. References to the infamous Yedi Kule prison abound in the Greek rebetika songs. Restoration and archaeological work began in the 1970s and continues to this day.
The wheel is a 4th century arched circular building in Thessaloniki, similar to the top of Rome. The original use has not been determined, but so far various hypotheses have been put forward: the temple with two-headed crabs, built by Sirius of Caesar, as his mausoleum, or as the temple of the restorer's throne. Complex. It was converted into a temple during the early Christian period, and some researchers agree with Byzantine sources as the temple of the corpses of troops. In 1591, it was transformed into a Muslim mosque by Sheikh Hortaci Suleiman efendi. After the liberation of Thessaloniki in 1912, it devoted itself to St. Potato. It was included in early Christian and Byzantine monuments as an unesco World Heritage site.
4. Ίδρυμα Μουσείου Μακεδονικού Αγώνα
The Museum for the Macedonian Struggle is located in the centre of the city Thessaloniki in Central Macedonia, Greece. It occupies a neo-classical building designed by the renowned architect Ernst Ziller and built in 1893. In its six ground-floor rooms the museum graphically illustrates the modern and contemporary history of Greek Macedonia. It presents the social, economic, political and military developments that shaped the presence of Hellenism in the region. This approach enables the visitor to form a global picture, not only of the revolutionary movements in the area, but also of the rapidly changing society of the southern Balkans and its agonizing struggles to balance between tradition and
5. Αγία Αικατερίνη
The Church of Saint Catherine is a late Byzantine church in the northwestern corner of the Ano Poli, Thessaloniki, Greece. The church dates to the Palaiologan period, but its exact dating and original dedication are unknown. From its interior decoration, which survives in fragments and is dated to ca. 1315, it has been suggested that it was the katholikon of the Monastery of the Almighty. It was converted to a mosque by Yakup Pasha in the reign of the Ottoman sultan Bayezid II and named after him Yakup Pasha Mosque. In 1988, it was included among the Paleochristian and Byzantine monuments of Thessaloniki on the list of World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.
6. Μονή Λατόμου
The Church of Hosios David is a late 5th-century church in Thessaloniki, Greece. During the Byzantine times, it functioned as the katholikon of the Latomos Monastery, and was adorned with rich mosaic and fresco decoration, which was renewed in the 12th–14th centuries. Today, the surviving examples are of high artistic quality. Under Ottoman rule, the building was converted into a mosque, until it was reconsecrated as a Greek Orthodox church in 1921, thus receiving its present name. In 1988, this monument was included among the Paleochristian and Byzantine monuments of Thessaloniki on the list of World Heritage Sites by UNESCO.
7. Άγαλμα Μεγάλου Αλεξάνδρου
On the beach of Thessaloniki, next to the White Tower is the statue of Alexander the Great, King of the Macedonians. Alexander the Great is represented to ride the Bukefala, a war horse who accompanied the Macedonian soldier for 20 years in his campaigns. It was erected in 1973 at expenditure by fundraisers and inaugurated in 1974. It is a work by sculptor Evangelos Mustakas who designed it in his workshop in Pallini. The bronze statue was cast in the "Renzo Mikelucci" foundings in Pistoia, Italy. The height of the statue is 6 meters and has a weight of 4 tonnes. The total height along with the pedestal is 11 meters.
8. Άγαλμα Χρυσοστόμου Σμύρνης
Chrysostomos Kalafatis known as Saint Chrysostomos of Smyrna, Chrysostomos of Smyrna and Metropolitan Chrysostom, was the Greek Orthodox metropolitan bishop of Smyrna (Izmir) between 1910 and 1914, and again from 1919 until his death in 1922. He was born in Triglia, Turkey in 1867, considerably aided the Greek campaign in Smyrna in 1919 and was subsequently killed by a lynch mob after Turkish troops took back the city at the end of the Greco-Turkish War of 1919–1922. He was declared a martyr and a saint of the Eastern Orthodox Church by the Holy Synod of the Church of Greece on 4 November 1992.
9. Λευκός Πύργος
The White Tower of Thessaloniki is a monument and museum on the waterfront of the city of Thessaloniki, capital of the region of Macedonia in northern Greece. The present tower replaced an old Byzantine fortification, known to have been mentioned around the 12th century, that the Ottoman Empire reconstructed to fortify the city's fortress after Sultan Murad II captured Thessaloniki in 1430. During the period of Ottoman rule, White tower became a notorious prison and scene of mass executions.
The Church of Our Lady of Achirozite is an Early Christian Basilica of Thessaloniki, which today is preserved in the same form that was built in the 5th century - which makes it unique in the Eastern Mediterranean. It is located on Agia Sofia Street, opposite Macedonian Square and its foundation is located in the period 450-475. It is dedicated to Theotokos and its name is due to the "unholy" worship image of the Virgin Mary in the Temple.
11. Τελλόγλειο Ίδρυμα Τεχνών Α.Π.Θ.
The Teloglion Fine Arts Foundation was established in Thessaloniki, Central Macedonia, Greece in 1972. It was named after Nestor and Aliki Telloglou, who donated their art collection and their entire property to the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. Later the University established this foundation in order to house the art collection and make it available to the public.
12. Μνημείο Γρηγόρη Λαμπράκη
Grigoris Lambrakis was a Greek politician, physician, track and field athlete, and member of the faculty of the School of Medicine at the University of Athens. A member of the Greek resistance to Axis rule during World War II, he later became a prominent anti-war activist. His assassination by right-wing zealots provoked mass protests and led to a political crisis.
13. Άγιος Δημήτριος
The Church of Saint Demetrius, or Hagios Demetrios, is the main sanctuary dedicated to Saint Demetrius, the patron saint of Thessaloniki, dating from a time when it was the second largest city of the Byzantine Empire. It is part of the site Palaeochristian and Byzantine Monuments of Thessaloniki on the list of World Heritage Sites by UNESCO since 1988.
14. Άγιος Παντελεήμων
The Paladin Temple is an ancient Catholic Byzantine monastery and World Heritage site in Thessaloniki. In the city center, at the conference on Lisbon and Yaseonid Highway. It belongs to the type of compound quadruped crossbow with splint and peripheral arch, and ends in two chapels to the east.
15. Αψίδα Γαλερίου (Καμάρα)
One of Thessaloniki's most typical monuments is the Triumphal Galena Arch, also known as the Arch, located above Copernicus Street, some distance from the Rotunda. This is one of the most familiar meeting points for city residents and tourists.
16. Μονή Βλατάδων
Vlatades Monastery or Vlatadon Monastery is a monastery in Ano Poli, Thessaloniki, Greece. Built in the 14th century during the late era of the Byzantine Empire, it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, one of the 15 in the city.
17. Παναγία Δεξιά
The Temple of Notre Dame is the parish temple of Thessaloniki, belonging to Notre Dame Thessaloniki. It's on Nenana Street in the center of the city. The architectural types of temples are dome and two domes.
18. Αγία Σοφία
The Hagia Sophia in Thessaloniki, Greece, is one of the oldest churches in the city still standing today. It is one of several monuments in Thessaloniki included as a World Heritage Site on the UNESCO list.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.