Looking for premium sights?
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Mainz:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Want a guided Free Walking Tour?
Here you can book guided Free Walking Tours in Mainz:Guided Free Walking Tours on Freetour*
Here you can find interesting sights in Mainz, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 33 sights are available in Mainz, Germany.List of cities in Germany Sightseeing Tours in Mainz
The Great Mainz Jupiter Column is a civil monument erected in the second half of the first century in Mogontiacum in honor of the Roman god Jupiter. It is the oldest and largest as well as the most elaborate Jupiter column that has been found so far in the German-speaking world. The Great Mainz Jupiter Column was the model for other Jupiter columns erected in the Roman provinces of Germania inferior (Lower Germania) and Germania superior (Upper Germania), especially in the second and third centuries. It was destroyed in the late period of the Roman Empire and rediscovered in 1904/05. Today, the reconstructed remains can be seen in the stone hall of the Landesmuseum in Mainz. Copies of the Great Mainz Jupiter Column can be found not only in Mainz itself, but also at the fort Saalburg, in Saint-Germain-en-Laye and in Rome.
2. Erthaler Hof
The Erthaler Hof is a noble court in Mainz, Germany. It was built as a family residence there by the Mainz bailiff in Lohr am Main, Philipp Christoph von und zu Erthal. He belonged to the Elfershäuser line of the von Erthal family from Franconia. As a cavalier architect and Electoral Mainz court councillor, he was also responsible for the design. The execution was in the hands of Johann Michael Schmitt and Franz Anton Hermann. Construction began in 1734 and was completed in 1739. It thus joins the group of baroque aristocratic estates such as the Schönborner Hof, the Bassenheimer Hof and the Osteiner Hof around Schillerplatz.
3. Mahnmal der Deutschen Einheit
The Memorial of German Unity, also called the "Divided Germany" memorial and the "Memorial of the German East" after its inauguration and before reunification, was inaugurated on 16 June 1961 on Fischtor-Platz in Mainz on the occasion of the anniversary of the popular uprising in the former GDR on 17 June 1953 with the inscription "Germany is indivisible". It contains the majority of the names of former German cities east of the Oder and Neisse rivers, which were then under Polish or Russian administration, and of cities in the former German Democratic Republic.
Heunenäulen, also known as Heunesäulen, is a circular column made of sandstone, originally designed to rebuild Mainz Willigisdomes, which was burned in 1009. They were probably discovered in the 11th century. It was built at a quarry in Bullauer Berge, near Miltenberg, and was completed before the order was placed. However, customers may have chosen other brackets, so round brackets were never needed. It is said that there were 42 pillars in the 18th century. By the 20th century, there were 14 known, and by 1960, there were 8 known.
5. Bischöfliches Dom- und Diözesanmuseum Mainz
The Episcopal Cathedral and Diocesan Museum in Mainz, founded in 1925, houses works of art from two millennia in its historic rooms – the Hohenstaufen vaulted halls, the two-storey late Gothic cloister and the former chapter houses – which once belonged to the furnishings of Mainz Cathedral or the churches of the diocese. In addition, there is the treasury of the cathedral, which, accessible through the chapter houses, is set up in the former St. Nicholas Chapel from the late Gothic period.
6. Grüne Brücke
The Green Bridge is a small art and natural landscape in Mainz-Neustadt, which has existed since 1981, which was designed in 1977 by the environmental artist Dieter Magnus, who lived in the Neustadt at the time. The planning civil engineer was Horst Waldmann. The Green Bridge has become a model for near-natural design in public spaces that has attracted much attention throughout Germany. Among other things, Dieter Magnus received the Federal Cross of Merit on Ribbon for this work in 2012.
7. Sankt Stephan
The Catholic local church of St. Stephan in Mainz-Gonsenheim had its first documentary mention in 1401. During several new buildings and renovations, most recently in 1906, the church in neo-Gothic style received its present imposing form with a length of over 62 meters of the nave and the two almost 60-meter-high church towers. Since it was thus the largest country church in Rhenish Hesse, St. Stephan was soon referred to as "Rheinhessendom".
8. Neuer Brunnen
The New Fountain in the Bleichenviertel of Mainz is a building from the late Baroque. It was built between 1724 and 1726 by Johannes Weydt. The most striking feature of the fountain is the approximately 12-meter-high obelisk in the middle, which is covered with bas-reliefs on various themes. At its base there are a total of four sculptures, each representing two river gods and two lions. The oval basin and obelisk are made of red sandstone.
9. Sankt Peter
St. Peter's Church is located beneath Deutschhaus Mainz in the northwest of the historical center of Mainz, Germany. It is the one of the most important rococo buildings in Mainz. Originally it was a collegiate church monastery of ″St. Peter before the walls″, which had existed since the 10th century and is dedicated to the apostle Peter as patron. Today it serves as a parish church for the parish of St. Peter / St. Emmeran.
10. 117er Ehrenhof
Darth 3. Gro betaherzoglich-Hessische Infantry Leibregiment Nr. 117 "Gro betaherzogin" was an infantry unit of the Grand Duchy Army of Hesse, placed under Prussian command following the 1867 Military Convention. "Gro betaherzoglich-Hessische Infantry Leibregiment Nr. 117"Gro betaherzogin" is an infantry unit of the Grand Duchy Army of Hesse. It was part of the Mainz garrison, which was mainly stationed there until 1918.
The Drususstein is a nearly 20 metres high masonry block of Roman origin on the grounds of the citadel of Mainz, Germany. It was originally cased in marble. Researchers now largely accept that this is the structural remnant of the cenotaph mentioned by writers like Eutropius and Suetonius, erected in 9 BC by Roman troops in honour of the deceased general Drusus, in Mogontiacum as part of the Roman funerary art.
12. Wildpark Mainz-Gonsenheim
The Mainz-Gonsenheim Wildlife Park is a wildlife park in the Mainz district of Gonsenheim in the immediate vicinity of the Lennebergwald Nature Reserve. Although the park is only about three hectares in size, it is of great importance for the city as a local recreation area. According to the city of Mainz, it is visited by several hundred thousand people a year.
The Christuskirche is a Protestant church located in Mainz. The Christuskirche was built between 1896 and 1903 designed by Eduard Kreyßig. It was consecrated on 2 July 1903. After demolition during the air raids of World War II the church was reconstructed between 1952 and 1954. The congregation forms part of the Protestant Church in Hesse and Nassau.
14. Naturhistorisches Museum
The Natural History Museum Landessammlung für Naturkunde Rheinland-Pfalz (nhm) in Mainz is the largest museum of its kind in Rhineland-Palatinate. The exhibitions and collections focus on the bio- and geosciences in Rhineland-Palatinate and its partner country Rwanda. Bernd Herkner has been the director since 1 August 2019, succeeding Michael Schmitz.
The Gutenberg Museum is one of the oldest museums of printing in the world, located opposite the cathedral in the old part of Mainz, Germany. It is named after Johannes Gutenberg, the inventor of printing from movable metal type in Western Europe. The collections include printing equipment and examples of printed materials from many cultures.
The Iron Tower is a mediaeval tower dating to the early 13th century, and modified in the 15th century, which with the Wood Tower and the Alexander Tower is one of three remaining towers from the city walls of Mainz, Germany. Its name derives from the Iron Market (Eisenmarkt), which was held in the immediate vicinity until the 19th century.
17. Kunsthalle Mainz
The Kunsthalle Mainz is an exhibition center for contemporary art. It is located in the boiler and machine house planned by Eduard Kreyßig in 1887 in the Mainz customs port. The building was rebuilt in 2006 by the Mainzer Stadtwerke. The former energy centre of the customs port has served as a Kunsthalle since its opening on 1 March 2008.
18. Neue Golden-Ross-Kaserne
Neue Golden-Ross-Kaserne (New Kinross Barracks) was a barracks in Mainz, Germany, in what is today the Hartenberg-Münchfeld district. It is one of several new buildings in the 21st Barracks. It was built at Monbach Gate on the high wall of Rhine. With the end of the First World War, so did the military use of the "New Kinross Barracks".
The Mainzer Ranzengarde was founded in 1837 by Johann Maria Kertell and is the oldest carnival corporation within the Mainzer Fastnacht. It therefore also bears the nickname "Mother of all Mainz Guards". In 1838, with the help of the Ranzengarde, the Mainzer Carneval-Verein (MCV) was founded, which is the oldest carnival club in Mainz.
Feldbergplatz is a square in Mainz-Neustadt, Germany. It is located directly south of the former customs and inland port and on the banks of the Rhine in Mainz. The square is designated as a monument zone and adjacent buildings as cultural monuments. It was named after the Großer Feldberg, the highest mountain in the Taunus.
The Vierzehn-Nothelfer-Kapelle von Mainz-Gonsenheim is a chapel on the edge of the Lennebergwald between the Mainz district of Gonsenheim and Budenheim in the Mainz-Bingen district in Rhineland-Palatinate. It is dedicated to the holy fourteen helpers. The construction in neo-Gothic style was completed in 1895.
The Marktbrunnen in Mainz is a renaissance fountain located at the ″Markt″ of Mainz. It was donated by elector Albert of Mainz and crafted in the workshop of the Mainz sculptor Hans Backoffen. The Marktbrunnen represents one of the first architectural formed decorated fountains of the renaissance.
23. Neue Synagoge Mainz
The New Synagogue of Mainz is in use since 2010 as a community center at the location of the former main synagogue on the Hindenburgstraße of Mainz Neustadt. Due to controversial discussions regarding the street name, the location in the Hindenburgstraße was renamed as Synagogenplatz.
The Gautor in Mainz was part of the fortress ring around the city built in the 1650s. The gate was one of the most important entrances to Mainz and was only demolished in 1896. In 1998, the preserved façade of the outer side of the Gautor was re-erected near the original location.
25. St. Petrus Canisius
St. Petrus Canisius is a Roman Catholic church in Mainz-Gonsenheim, Germany. It is part of the pastoral area Mainz-North-West of the region Rheinhessen in the Diocese of Mainz. As a modern post-war building of the 1950s, the church is now a listed building.
26. St. Bonifaz
The parish church of St. Bonifaz in Mainz's Neustadt district at the foot of the Bonifazius towers named after it is the centre of the Roman Catholic parish of St. Bonifaz in the Mainz-City pastoral area of the Rheinhessen region of the Diocese of Mainz.
Mainz Cathedral or St. Martin's Cathedral is located near the historical center and pedestrianized market square of the city of Mainz, Germany. This 1000-year-old Roman Catholic cathedral is the site of the episcopal see of the Bishop of Mainz.
The Dativius Victor Arch in Mainz is one of the most important Roman monuments rebuilt in Germany. The building dates back to the middle of the 3rd century. It used to be the central passage of the porch of a public building in Mogontiakum.
The Fastnachtsbrunnen in Mainz is located on Schillerplatz at the corner of Schillerstraße and Ludwigsstraße. The monument is meant to symbolize the foolish season. After three years of construction, it was unveiled on January 14, 1967.
30. St. Rabanus Maurus
St. Rabanus Maorus is a Catholic church in the Hartenberg district of Mainz, Germany, dedicated to Archbishop Rabanus Maorus. Along with St. John's Evangelist Diocese in Münchfeld, it is one of two churches in the Diocese of Don Bosco.
The Nail Pillar of Mainz, a post erected during the First World War on Liebfrauenplatz in front of the east side of Mainz Cathedral, was built as a war nail within the framework of German propaganda and fund-raising activities.
The Carmelite Church in Mainz is a listed Roman Catholic church. Since 1924 it has been used by the Carmelite mendicant order. The three-aisled Gothic basilica with ridge turret is located in the old town at Karmeliterplatz 5.
The Görzsiedlung is a housing estate in Mainz built between 1903 and 1937, which goes back to a foundation of the merchant Adolf Gorizia (1857–1900). The entire complex has been a listed building since 1985.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.