Explore Porto Alegre in Brazil with this free self-guided walking tour. The map shows the route of the tour. Below is a list of attractions, including their details.Individual Sights in Porto Alegre
Sight 1: Monumento ao Batalhão Suez
The Monument to the Suez Battalion, regionally known as the UN Monument and/or Monument of the Blue Helmet, is a national military monument located in the city of Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, and pays tribute to the gaucho soldiers involved in the peace missions of UN in the Middle East in 1959. These soldiers are known to belong to the Suez Battalion.
Sight 2: Monumento aos Açorianos
The Monument to the Azoreans is a public art monument in full time exhibition in Porto Alegre, state of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, in honor of the arrival of the first sixty Azorean couples that populated the city in 1752. It was inaugurated on March 26, 1974, in the city's 206th anniversary. The monument is 17 meters high and 24 meters wide.
Sight 3: Museu Júlio de Castilhos
Sight 4: Monumento a Júlio de Castilhos
The monument to Julius of Castiles is a Brazilian monument located in the Matrix Square in the center of Porto Alegre, honoring the ruler Julius of Castiles, founder of a long political tradition associated with positive positivity.
Sight 5: Igreja Nossa Senhora das Dores
Nossa Senhora das Dores Church, Our Lady of Sorrows Church or Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows can refer to: Our Lady of Sorrows Church (Chamusca) - in Portugal Nossa Senhora das Dores Church - in the Azores Nossa Senhora das Dores Church (Macau) - in China Church of Our Lady of Sorrows (Paraty) - In Brazil Nossa Senhora das Dores Church - in Portugal Nossa Senhora das Dores Church - in Brazil Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Sorrows - in Porto Alegre, Brazil
Sight 6: Rio Grande do Sul Museum of Art
The Rio Grande do Sul Museum of Art is an art museum in the State of Rio Grande do Sul. It is located in the centre of Porto Alegre. Its eclectic building, national heritage, is one of the most noteworthy historic buildings in Porto Alegre. Its design is usually attributed to Theodor Wiederspahn, a German-Brazilian architect, although important local historian and artist Fernando Corona ascribes it to Germano Gundlach.
Sight 7: Farol Santander Porto Alegre (antigo Santander Cultural)
The Santander Porto Alegre Lighthouse, formerly called Santander Cultural, is a Brazilian cultural center maintained by Banco Santander in a historic building of Porto Alegre, in Rio Grande do Sul. It is located at Alfândega Square and its building was listed by IPHAE.
Sight 8: Memorial do Rio Grande do Sul
The Rio Grande do Sul Memorial is a cultural center in Porto Alegre, housed in a historic property located in Alfândega Square, in the city's historic center. It is a building listed as historical heritage by the City Hall and by the National Institute of Historic and Artistic Heritage.
Sight 9: Monumento ao Barão do Rio Branco
The Monument to the Baron of Rio Branco is a public monument erected in Praça da Alfândega, in the center of the Brazilian city of Porto Alegre, in front of the Memorial of Rio Grande do Sul.
Sight 10: Monumento ao General Osório
The Monument to General Osório is a public monument located in Praça da Alfândega, in the center of Porto Alegre, erected in honor of Manuel Luís Osório, patron of the Brazilian Army Cavalry and hero of the Paraguayan War.
Sight 11: MERGS
The Rio Grande do Sul Electricity Museum (Mergs) is a Brazilian museum, located in the city of Porto Alegre. It occupies the second floor of Espaço Força e Luz, installed in a building built between 1926 and 1928 by engineer Adolfo Stern, in Rua dos Andradas, downtown Porto Alegre. The building has eclectic style, but with French influence from the early twentieth century, having been listed in 1994 by the Institute of Historical and Artistic Heritage of the State of Rio Grande do Sul.
Sight 12: Esquina Democrática
The Democratic Esquina is one of the main popular meeting points of the city of Porto Alegre, the capital of the South Rio Grande.
Sight 13: Fonte Talavera de la Reina
The Talavera de La Reina Fountain is an important monument in the city of Porto Alegre.
Sight 14: Largo Glênio Peres
Largo Glenius Peres is a public space of Porto Alegre. It's located in the centre of the city, across the street from the public market and November XV Square.
Sight 15: Igreja Nossa Senhora do Rosário
Our Lady of the Rosary Church, better known as the Rosary Church, is a Catholic church located in the historic center of the city of Porto Alegre, capital of the state of Rio Grande do Sul. The original church was listed by the Institute of National Historical and Artistic Heritage along with its collection, but the tipping was reversed in 1951 to build a new church.
Sight 16: Monumento ao Conde de Porto Alegre
The Monument to the Count of Porto Alegre is a public monument in the Brazilian city of Porto Alegre. It is located in Praça Conde de Porto Alegre and is dedicated to Manuel Marques de Sousa, Count of Porto Alegre, combatant in the Cisplatine War, in the Farroupilha Revolution and in the War against Oribe and Rosas, and hero of the Battle of Tuiuti, which took place during the Paraguayan War.
Sight 17: Praça Argentina
Argentina Square is a square located in Porto Alegre, capital of the state of Rio Grande do Sul. It is next to the Santa Casa de Misericórdia of Porto Alegre, between João Pessoa Avenue and the building of the UFRGS School of Engineering.
Sight 18: Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Conceição
The Church of Our Lady of the Conception is a temple of the Catholic Church located on Independência Avenue, in front of the Dom Sebastião Square, in Porto Alegre, Brazil. It is one of the oldest churches in the city and the one that best preserves its original appearance, containing a rich internal decoration in gilded woodcarving and statuary, besides being a listed property by the City Hall.
Sight 19: Fonte Francesa
The French Fountain, also known as Imperial Fountain, is a cast iron fountain located in Farroupilha Park, the main public park of Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. Created by sculptor Carrier-Belleuse and dated 1866, was manufactured in France and imported to Porto Alegre along with six other fountains. With the disappearance without explanation of the other fountains in the late nineteenth century, the French source became the only remnant of that period that remains to this day. Originally it was in Alfândega Square, in front of the old customs building, being later transferred to Paradise Square, remaining until 1925, when again would change places, now to Pereira Parobé Square, a square that existed next to Porto Alegre Public Market, where today there is the Pereira Parobé Bus Terminal. After the 1941 flood, it was transferred to its current place in the European corner of Farroupilha Park.
Sight 20: Monument to the Expeditionary
The Expeditionary Monument is a historical monument of the city of Porto Alegre, and was inaugurated in 1957. The idea for the monument was launched by the PEOPLE MAIL NEWSPAPER, which generated a public tender for the elaboration of a triumph bow, Where the project of Antonio Caringi, author also of the statue of the loop, symbol of Porto Alegre.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.
GPX-Download For navigation apps and GPS devices you can download the tour as a GPX file.