Here you can find interesting sights in Washington, United States. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 100 sights are available in Washington, United States.List of cities in United States Sightseeing Tours in Washington
1. Seward Square
Seward Square is a square and park maintained by the National Park Service located at the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue and North Carolina Avenue in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Southeast Washington, D. C. The square is bounded by 4th Street to the west and 6th Street to the east. North and south of the park are the respective westbound and eastbound lanes of Seward Square, SE. Because Pennsylvania and North Carolina Avenues intersect in the middle of the square, it divides the square into four unique smaller parks. The park is named after William Henry Seward, the United States Secretary of State under Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson. Seward is noted for his part in the American purchase of Alaska from the Russian Empire in 1867. The purchase was ridiculed at the time and was colloquially known as "Seward's Folly". There is no statue of William Seward on the site of the park, however there is a statue of his adopted daughter, Olive Risley Seward located at a private residence at the corner of 6th Street and North Carolina Avenue, SE. The statue was sculpted in 1971 by John Cavanaugh.
2. Major General John A. Logan Monument
Major General John A. Logan, also known as the General John A. Logan Monument and Logan Circle Monument, is an equestrian statue in Washington, D. C. that honors politician and Civil War general John A. Logan. The monument is sited in the center of Logan Circle, a traffic circle and public park in the Logan Circle neighborhood. The statue was sculpted by artist Franklin Simmons, whose other prominent works include the Peace Monument and statues in the National Statuary Hall Collection. The architect of the statue base was Richard Morris Hunt, designer of prominent buildings including the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City and The Breakers in Newport, Rhode Island. Prominent attendees at the dedication ceremony in 1901 included President William McKinley, members of his cabinet, Senator Chauncey Depew, Senator Shelby Moore Cullom, and General Grenville M. Dodge.
3. U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing
The Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) is a government agency within the United States Department of the Treasury that designs and produces a variety of security products for the United States government, most notable of which is Federal Reserve Notes for the Federal Reserve, the nation's central bank. In addition to paper currency, the BEP produces Treasury securities; military commissions and award certificates; invitations and admission cards; and many different types of identification cards, forms, and other special security documents for a variety of government agencies. The BEP does not produce coins; all coinage is produced by the United States Mint. With production facilities in Washington, D. C. , and Fort Worth, Texas, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is the largest producer of government security documents in the United States.
4. John C. Calhoun
John Caldwell Calhoun was an American statesman and political theorist from South Carolina who held many important positions including being the seventh vice president of the United States from 1825 to 1832, while adamantly defending slavery and protecting the interests of the white South. He began his political career as a nationalist, modernizer, and proponent of a strong national government and protective tariffs. In the late 1820s, his views changed radically, and he became a leading proponent of states' rights, limited government, nullification, and opposition to high tariffs. He saw Northern acceptance of those policies as a condition of the South remaining in the Union. His beliefs and warnings heavily influenced the South's secession from the Union in 1860–1861.
5. John Quincy Adams
John Quincy Adams was an American statesman, diplomat, lawyer, and diarist who served as the sixth president of the United States, from 1825 to 1829. He previously served as the eighth United States Secretary of State from 1817 to 1825. During his long diplomatic and political career, Adams also served as an ambassador, and as a member of the United States Congress representing Massachusetts in both chambers. He was the eldest son of John Adams, who served as the second president of the United States from 1797 to 1801, and First Lady Abigail Adams. Initially a Federalist like his father, he won election to the presidency as a member of the Democratic-Republican Party, and in the mid-1830s became affiliated with the Whig Party.
6. Oak Hill Cemetery Chapel
The Oak Hill Cemetery Chapel, also known as the Renwick Chapel or James Renwick Chapel, is a historic building in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D. C. , United States. Designed by James Renwick, Jr. in 1850, Oak Hill Cemetery Chapel is the architect's only known example of Gothic Revival church architecture in Washington, D. C. It is located on the highest ridge in Oak Hill Cemetery, near the intersection of 29th and R Streets NW. The chapel is one of two structures in Oak Hill Cemetery listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the other being the Van Ness Mausoleum. The chapel, mausoleum, and cemetery are contributing properties to the Georgetown Historic District, a National Historic Landmark.
7. Meridian Hill/Malcolm X Park
Meridian Hill Park, also known as Malcolm X Park, is a structured urban park located in the Washington, D. C. , neighborhood of Columbia Heights; it also abuts the nearby neighborhood of Adams Morgan. The park was designed and built between 1912 and 1940. This 12-acre (49,000 m2), formally landscaped site is officially part of the National Capital Parks Unit of the National Park System, and is administered by the superintendent of nearby Rock Creek Park. Meridian Hill Park is bordered by 15th, 16th, W, and Euclid streets NW, and sits on a prominent hill 1. 5 miles (2. 4 km) directly north of the White House. Since 1969, the name "Malcolm X Park" has been used by many in honor of minister and activist Malcolm X.
8. Number One Observatory Circle
Number One Observatory Circle is the official residence of the vice president of the United States. Located on the northeast grounds of the U. S. Naval Observatory in Washington, D. C. , the house was built in 1893 for the observatory superintendent. The chief of naval operations (CNO) liked the house so much that in 1923 he took over the house for himself. It remained the residence of the CNO until 1974, when Congress authorized its transformation to an official residence for the vice president, though a temporary one. It is still the "official temporary residence of the vice president of the United States" by law. The 1974 congressional authorization covered the cost of refurbishment and furnishing the house.
9. Peter Muhlenberg Memorial
The Peter Muhlenberg Memorial is a public monument in Washington, D. C. It honors John Peter Gabriel Muhlenberg, a Lutheran minister, Continental Army general, Federalist Era American politician, and member of the prominent Muhlenberg family. The memorial is located in a one-acre park bounded by Connecticut Avenue, Ellicott Street, and 36th Street NW on the eastern edge of Washington's Wakefield neighborhood. Designed by architect John Harbeson, it features at its center a bronze bust of Muhlenberg, sculpted by his descendant, Caroline M. Hufford. Completed in 1980, 52 years after its construction was authorized by Congress, attendees at the dedication ceremony included West German ambassador Peter Hermes.
10. Capitol Hill Baptist Church
Capitol Hill Baptist Church is a Southern Baptist affiliated church located on Capitol Hill in Washington, D. C. , six blocks from the United States Capitol. Mark Dever serves as the senior pastor of the church, where he also runs his ministry 9Marks teaching principles of "healthy church" practices. It was founded in 1878 and was originally named Metropolitan Baptist Church, after the Metropolitan Tabernacle in London. , although the naming origins are refuted by some. It was later named Capitol Hill Metropolitan Baptist Church, to differentiate it from another Metropolitan Baptist Church in the District of Columbia. It was subsequently shortened to be named Capitol Hill Baptist Church.
11. DAR Constitution Hall
DAR Constitution Hall is a concert hall located at 1776 D Street NW, near the White House in Washington, D. C. It was built in 1929 by the Daughters of the American Revolution to house its annual convention when membership delegations outgrew Memorial Continental Hall. Later, the two buildings were connected by a third structure housing the DAR Museum, administrative offices, and genealogical library. DAR Constitution Hall is still owned and operated by the National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1985. It has been a major cultural center of the city since its construction, and houses its largest auditorium.
12. Hoover family
John Edgar Hoover was an American law enforcement administrator who served as the first Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). He was appointed director of the Bureau of Investigation – the FBI's predecessor – in 1924 and was instrumental in founding the FBI in 1935, where he remained director for another 37 years until his death in 1972. Hoover built the FBI into a larger crime-fighting agency than it was at its inception and instituted a number of modernizations to police technology, such as a centralized fingerprint file and forensic laboratories. Hoover also established and expanded a national blacklist, referred to as the FBI Index or Index List.
13. Lieutenant General Winfield Brevet Scott Statue
Brevet Lt. General Winfield Scott is an equestrian statue in Washington, D. C. , that honors career military officer Winfield Scott. The monument stands in the center of Scott Circle, a traffic circle and small park at the convergence of 16th Street, Massachusetts Avenue and Rhode Island Avenue NW. The statue was sculpted by Henry Kirke Brown, whose best-known works include statues of George Washington in New York and Nathanael Greene in Washington, D. C. It was the first of many sculptures honoring Civil War generals that were installed in Washington, D. C. 's traffic circles and squares and was the second statue in the city to honor Scott.
14. National Museum Of American Jewish Military History
The National Museum of American Jewish Military History (NMAJMH) was founded September 2, 1958, in Washington, D. C. , to document and preserve "the contributions of Jewish Americans to the peace and freedom of the United States. . . [and to educate] the public concerning the courage, heroism and sacrifices made by Jewish Americans who served in the armed forces. " It operates under the auspices of the Jewish War Veterans of the United States of America (JWV), National Memorial, Inc. (NMI), and is located at 1811 R Street NW, Washington, D. C. , in the Dupont Circle area, in the same building that houses the JWV National Headquarters.
15. Guglielmo Marconi Statue
Guglielmo Marconi is a public artwork by Attilio Piccirilli, located at the intersection of 16th and Lamont Streets, N. W. , in the Mount Pleasant neighborhood of Washington, D. C. , United States. It stands as a tribute to Italian inventor Guglielmo Marconi. It was paid for by public subscription and erected in 1941. The artwork was listed on both the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites and the National Register of Historic Places in 2007. It is a contributing property in the Mount Pleasant Historic District. The monument was originally surveyed as part of the Smithsonian's Save Outdoor Sculpture! survey in 1994.
16. Carter Barron Amphitheatre
The Carter Barron Amphitheatre is a 4,200-seat outdoor performance venue in Washington, D. C. , United States. Located in Rock Creek Park, the amphitheatre opened in 1950, in honor of the 150th anniversary of Washington, D. C. as the United States' capital. The National Park Service has operated Carter Barron, having offered a variety of quality performances, including reggae, Latin, classical, gospel, musicals, pop, R&B, jazz, new age, theater, and dance. Many of the performances have been provided free of charge. The adjacent William H. G. FitzGerald Tennis Center is part of the Carter Barron recreational facility.
17. Lincoln Theatre
Lincoln Theatre is a theater in Washington, D. C. , located at 1215 U Street, next to Ben's Chili Bowl. The theater, located on "Washington's Black Broadway", served the city's African American community when segregation kept them out of other venues. The Lincoln Theatre included a movie house and ballroom, and hosted jazz and big band performers such as Duke Ellington. The theater closed after the 1968 race-related riots. It was restored and reopened in 1994, and hosts a variety of performances and events. The U Street Metro station, which opened in 1991, is located across the street from the Lincoln Theatre.
18. Dupont Circle Fountain
The Dupont Circle Fountain, formally known as the Rear Admiral Samuel Francis Dupont Memorial Fountain, is a fountain located in the center of Dupont Circle in Washington, D. C. It honors Rear Admiral Samuel Francis Du Pont, a prominent American naval officer and member of the Du Pont family. The fountain replaced a statue of Du Pont that was installed in 1884. Designed by Henry Bacon and sculpted by Daniel Chester French, the fountain was dedicated in 1921. Prominent guests at the dedication ceremony included First Lady Florence Harding, Secretary of War John W. Weeks and Secretary of the Navy Edwin Denby.
19. Arts and Industries Building
The Arts and Industries Building is the second oldest of the Smithsonian museums on the National Mall in Washington, D. C. Initially named the National Museum, it was built to provide the Smithsonian with its first proper facility for public display of its growing collections. The building, designed by architects Adolf Cluss and Paul Schulze, opened in 1881, hosting an inaugural ball for President James A. Garfield. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1971. After being closed since 2004, the building reopened in 2021 with a special exhibition, Futures, scheduled to run through July 2022.
20. Laogai Museum
The Laogai Museum is a museum in Dupont Circle, Washington, D. C. , United States, which showcases human rights in the People's Republic of China, focusing particularly on Láogǎi, the Chinese prison system of "Reform through Labor". The creation of the museum was spearheaded by Harry Wu, a well-known Chinese dissident who himself served 19 years in laogai prisons; it was supported by the Yahoo! Human Rights Fund. It opened to the public on 12 November 2008, and Wu's non-profit research organization calls it the first museum in the United States to directly address the issue of human rights in China.
21. American Fazl Mosque
The Fazl Mosque in Washington, D. C. was established by the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community in 1950 and is the first mosque in the U. S. capital of Washington, D. C. Its full title is the American Fazl Mosque, which helps to distinguish it from its sister mosque, the Fazl Mosque, London, both of which were the first mosques in the capitals of the U. S. and the U. K. , respectively. Located a few minutes from the White House, and neighboring several embassies, Fazl Mosque opened seven years prior to the Islamic Center of Washington and is the longest serving mosque in the nation's capital.
22. Henry Clay
Henry Clay Sr. was an American attorney and statesman who represented Kentucky in both the U. S. Senate and House of Representatives. He was the seventh House speaker as well as the ninth secretary of state, also receiving electoral votes for president in the 1824, 1832, and 1844 presidential elections. He helped found both the National Republican Party and the Whig Party. For his role in defusing sectional crises, he earned the appellation of the "Great Compromiser" and was part of the "Great Triumvirate" of Congressmen, alongside fellow Whig Daniel Webster and John C. Calhoun.
23. Arlington Memorial Bridge
The Arlington Memorial Bridge is a Neoclassical masonry, steel, and stone arch bridge with a central bascule that crosses the Potomac River at Washington, D. C. , the capital of the United States. First proposed in 1886, the bridge went unbuilt for decades thanks to political quarrels over whether the bridge should be a memorial, and to whom or what. Traffic problems associated with the dedication of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in November 1921 and the desire to build a bridge in time for the bicentennial of the birth of George Washington led to its construction in 1932.
24. Pope John Paul II National Shrine
The Saint John Paul II National Shrine is a national shrine in Washington, D. C. , sponsored by the Knights of Columbus. It is a place of prayer for Catholics and welcomes people of all faiths. The Shrine houses a permanent exhibit called A Gift of Love: the Life of Saint John Paul II and is home to the Redemptor Hominis Church and Luminous Mysteries Chapel, both of which are decorated with mosaic art designed by Rev. Marko Rupnik, S. J. Mass is celebrated daily in the Redemptor Hominis Church, and the Luminous Mysteries Chapel houses a first-class relic of John Paul II.
25. Grant Road Historic District
The Grant Road Historic District is located in the Tenleytown neighborhood of Washington, D. C. The two-block historic district is what remains of a former settlement in rural Washington County in the District of Columbia. It includes 13 contributing buildings and the road itself, a narrow remnant of a country road that was used by soldiers in the Civil War. Following the war, the road was named after Civil War general and President Ulysses S. Grant. Grant Road developed into a residential street lined with mostly small, two-story homes for working-class people.
26. Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral
Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral was founded as a church in 1904 to serve the Greek Orthodox residents of the District of Columbia. In 1962, the church was elevated to a cathedral under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of America in New York City and serves as his cathedral in Washington. The church is not named for Saint Sophia the martyr, but rather the Holy Wisdom of God in the tradition of Hagia Sophia of Constantinople. The building is in the Neo-Byzantine style with a central dome that reaches 80 ft (24 m) in height.
27. Calvary Baptist Church
Calvary Baptist Church is a Baptist church located in the Chinatown neighborhood in Washington, D. C. affiliated with the American Baptist Churches USA, the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, the Baptist Peace Fellowship of North America, the Alliance of Baptists, the District of Columbia Baptist Convention, and the Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists. It severed ties with the Southern Baptist Convention in July 2012. Since 2017, Calvary's Senior Co-Pastors have been Rev. Sally Sarratt and Rev. Maria Swearingen.
28. Art Museum of the Americas
Art Museum of the Americas (AMA), located in Washington, D. C. , is the first art museum in the United States primarily devoted to exhibiting works of modern and contemporary art from Latin America and the Caribbean. The museum was formally established in 1976 by the Organization of American States (OAS) as the Museum of Modern Art of Latin America. Artists represented in the AMA's permanent collection include Carlos Cruz-Diez, Candido Portinari, Pedro Figari, Fernando de Szyszlo, Amelia Peláez, and Alejandro Obregón.
29. Universalist National Memorial Church
Universalist National Memorial Church (UNMC) is a Unitarian Universalist church located at 1810 16th Street, Northwest in the Dupont Circle vicinage of Washington, D. C. Theologically, the church describes itself as "both liberal Christian and Universalist". Originally a member of the Universalist Church of America, it became a member of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) in 1961 when the former merged with the American Unitarian Association to form the UUA, and in 2003, UNMC strengthened its ties to the UUA.
30. All Hallows Guild Traveling Carousel
The All Hallows Guild Carousel or simply the Traveling Carousel is a historic carousel housed at the National Cathedral in Washington, D. C. since 1963. Previously, it was a "county fair" carousel operated by Clifford Sandretzky as part of a traveling carnival based in the northern Virginia area. The rare all-wood carousel was likely built in the 1890s by the Merry-Go-Round Company of Cincinnati and has a rare caliola with brass pipes that was built by the Rudolph Wurlitzer Company of North Tonawanda, New York in 1937.
31. Andrew Mellon Memorial Fountain
The Andrew W. Mellon Memorial Fountain is a bronze fountain sculpture by Sidney Waugh as a memorial to Andrew W. Mellon. It is located at the eastern tip of the Federal Triangle within the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue, Constitution Avenue, and 6th Street NW in Washington D. C. , United States. The fountain is across Constitution Avenue from the West Building of the National Gallery of Art. The Department of the Interior maintains the fountain, which President Harry S. Truman dedicated on May 9, 1952.
32. Dupont Circle
Dupont Circle is a traffic circle, park, neighborhood and historic district in Northwest Washington, D. C. The Dupont Circle neighborhood is bounded approximately by 16th Street NW to the east, 22nd Street NW to the west, M Street NW to the south, and Florida Avenue NW to the north. Much of the neighborhood is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. However, the local government Advisory Neighborhood Commission and the Dupont Circle Historic District have slightly different boundaries.
33. Church of the Ascension and Saint Agnes
The Church of the Ascension and Saint Agnes is an Episcopal church building located at 1215 Massachusetts Avenue in Northwest Washington, D. C. , US. The current structure built in 1874 as the Church of the Ascension was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. In the late 1940s, the Church of the Ascension merged with the nearby St. Agnes Episcopal Church and adopted its present name, under which it has continued as an active parish in the Episcopal Diocese of Washington.
34. Adams Memorial
The Adams Memorial is a grave marker for Marian Hooper Adams and Henry Adams located in Section E of Rock Creek Cemetery, Washington, D. C. The memorial features a cast bronze allegorical sculpture by Augustus Saint-Gaudens. Saint-Gaudens' shrouded-figure statue is seated against a granite block which takes up one side of a hexagonal plaza, designed by architect Stanford White. Across from the statue is a stone bench for visitors. The whole is sheltered by a close screen of dense conifers.
35. Adas Israel Congregation
Adas Israel is located in the Cleveland Park neighborhood of Washington, D. C. It is the largest Conservative synagogue in the city. President Ulysses S. Grant and acting Vice President Thomas W. Ferry attended the dedication of its first building in 1876, the first time a sitting United States President had attended a synagogue service. The original structure is the oldest surviving synagogue building in Washington, D. C. , and today is known as the Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum.
36. Major General James B. McPherson
Major General James B. McPherson is a public artwork by American artist Louis Rebisso, located at McPherson Square in Washington, D. C. , United States. Major General James B. McPherson was originally surveyed as part of the Smithsonian's Save Outdoor Sculpture! survey in 1993. The monument is a bronze equestrian statue of Civil War hero James B. McPherson. The statue is a contributing monument to the Civil War Monuments in Washington, DC, of the National Register of Historic Places.
37. Albert Einstein Memorial
The Albert Einstein Memorial is a monumental bronze statue by sculptor Robert Berks, depicting Albert Einstein seated with manuscript papers in hand. It is located in central Washington, D. C. , United States, in a grove of trees at the southwest corner of the grounds of the National Academy of Sciences at 2101 Constitution Avenue N. W. , near the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Two replicas exist at the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities and the Georgia Institute of Technology.
38. Alexander Dallas Bache
The Alexander Dallas Bache Monument is the tomb of Alexander Dallas Bache, a noted American scientist and surveyor. Bache died in Newport, Rhode Island in 1867 and was transported to Washington, DC's Congressional Cemetery for burial. American architect Henry Hobson Richardson was commissioned to build a tomb in 1868. The tomb is one of only three examples of a monument designed by Richardson and a rare example of a Richardson structure lacking Romanesque design points.
39. Emancipation Hall
The United States Capitol Visitor Center (CVC) is a large underground addition to the United States Capitol complex which serves as a gathering point for up to 4,000 tourists and an expansion space for the US Congress. It is located below the East Front of the Capitol and its plaza, between the Capitol building and 1st Street East. The complex contains 580,000 square feet (54,000 m2) of space below ground on three floors. The overall project's budget was $621 million.
40. Saint Peter's Catholic Church
St. Peter's Church, also referred to as St. Peter's on Capitol Hill, is a Roman Catholic church located on Capitol Hill in Washington, D. C. , within the Archdiocese of Washington. Founded in 1820, St. Peter's is the second oldest Catholic parish in the City of Washington. The church building was originally constructed in 1889. However, it was destroyed by a fire in 1940 and rebuilt. The church's motto is, "To be a tangible manifestation of Christ in the community. "
41. United States Capitol
The United States Capitol, often called The Capitol or the Capitol Building, is the meeting place of the United States Congress and the seat of the legislative branch of the U. S. federal government. It is located on Capitol Hill at the eastern end of the National Mall in Washington, D. C. Though no longer at the geographic center of the federal district, the Capitol forms the origin point for the district's street-numbering system and the district's four quadrants.
42. Bryce Park
Bryce Park is an urban triangle park located in the District of Columbia neighborhood of Cathedral Heights; formed by the intersection of Massachusetts Ave., Wisconsin Ave. and Garfield St., NW. This 0.59 acre site is administered by the National Park Service as a part of Rock Creek Park, but is not contiguous with that park. Situated across Massachusetts Ave, NW from the Washington National Cathedral, the park provides pathways and benches for area pedestrians.
43. Alexander Pushkin
Alexander Pushkin is a bronze statue by Alexander Bourganov. It is located at the corner of 22nd Street and H Street, N. W. Washington D. C. on the campus of George Washington University. It was erected as part of a cultural exchange between the cities of Moscow and Washington; in 2009, a statue of the American poet Walt Whitman was erected in Moscow. Pushkin's statue is said to be the first monument commemorating a Russian literary figure in the United States.
44. Anderson House
Anderson House, also known as Larz Anderson House, is a Gilded Age mansion located at 2118 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, on Embassy Row in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, D. C. It now houses the Society of the Cincinnati's international headquarters and a research library on 17th- and 18th-century military and naval history and the art of war. It is also open to the public as a historic house museum about life in Washington in the early 20th century.
45. Taras Shevchenko Statue
The Taras Shevchenko Memorial is a bronze statue and stone relief-adorned wall located on the 2200 block of P Street NW in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, D. C. , United States. It is one of many monuments in Washington, D. C. that honor foreign heroes who symbolize freedom in their native countries. The memorial honors Taras Shevchenko (1814–1861), a Ukrainian poet and artist who influenced the development of modern Ukrainian literature.
46. Congressional Cemetery
The Congressional Cemetery, officially Washington Parish Burial Ground, is a historic and active cemetery located at 1801 E Street, SE, in Washington, D. C. , on the west bank of the Anacostia River. It is the only American "cemetery of national memory" founded before the Civil War. Over 65,000 individuals are buried or memorialized at the cemetery, including many who helped form the nation and the city of Washington in the early 19th century.
47. Decatur House
Decatur House is a historic house museum at 748 Jackson Place in Washington, D. C. , the capital of the United States. It is named after its first owner and occupant Stephen Decatur. The house is located at the northwest corner of Lafayette Square, at the southwest corner of Jackson Place and H Street, near the White House. A museum, it now serves as the National Center for White House History, managed by the White House Historical Association.
48. Church of the Pilgrims
The Church of the Pilgrims is a Presbyterian Church (USA) congregation located in Washington, D. C. , in the United States. The congregation was founded in 1903 as the Second Southern Presbyterian Church and took its current name in 1919. The congregation resides in a Gothic Revival church located at 22nd Street NW and P Street NW. The building was designed by architect Benjamin C. Flournoy of Baltimore, Maryland, and completed in March 1929.
49. Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens
Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens is a decorative arts museum in Washington, D. C. , United States. The former residence of businesswoman, socialite, philanthropist and collector Marjorie Merriweather Post, Hillwood is known for its large decorative arts collection that focuses heavily on the House of Romanov, including Fabergé eggs. Other highlights are 18th- and 19th-century French art and one of the country's finest orchid collections.
50. Farragut Square
Farragut Square is a city square in Washington, D. C. 's Ward 2. It is bordered by K Street NW to the north, I Street NW to the south, on the east and west by segments of 17th Street NW, and interrupts Connecticut Avenue NW. It is the sister park of McPherson Square two blocks east. It is serviced by two stops on the Washington Metro rail system: Farragut North on the Red Line and Farragut West on the Blue, Orange, and Silver Lines.
51. Are Years What? (for Marianne Moore)
Are Years What? is a sculpture by American artist Mark di Suvero. It is in the collection of the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, in Washington, D. C. , United States. The sculpture is named after poet Marianne Moore's "What Are Years". From May 22, 2013 through May 26, 2014, the sculpture resided temporarily in San Francisco, as part of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art's Mark di Suvero exhibition at Crissy Field.
52. Frances Perkins House
The Frances Perkins House is a historic house at 2326 California Street NW in Washington, D. C. Built in 1914, it was from 1937 to 1940 the home of Frances Perkins (1880-1965), the first woman to serve in the United States Cabinet. Perkins was the Secretary of Labor under president Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and was a major force in advancing his New Deal agenda. This house was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1991.
53. Connecticut Avenue Northwest
The Taft Bridge is a historic bridge located in the Northwest quadrant of Washington, D. C. It carries Connecticut Avenue over the Rock Creek gorge, including Rock Creek and the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway, connecting the neighborhoods of Woodley Park and Kalorama. It is named after former United States president and Supreme Court Chief Justice William Howard Taft, and sits to the southwest of the Duke Ellington Bridge.
54. Bartholdi Fountain
The Bartholdi Fountain is a monumental public fountain, designed by Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi, who later created the Statue of Liberty. The fountain was originally made for the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and is now located at the corner of Independence Avenue and First Street, SW, in the United States Botanic Garden, on the grounds of the United States Capitol, in Washington D. C.
55. John Philip Sousa
John Philip Sousa was a Portuguese-American composer and conductor of the late Romantic era known primarily for American military marches. He is known as "The March King" or the "American March King", to distinguish him from his British counterpart Kenneth J. Alford. Among his best-known marches are "The Stars and Stripes Forever", "Semper Fidelis", "The Liberty Bell", "The Thunderer", and "The Washington Post".
56. Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln (1920) is a colossal seated figure of the 16th President of the United States Abraham Lincoln (1809–1865) sculpted by Daniel Chester French (1850–1931) and carved by the Piccirilli Brothers. It is in the Lincoln Memorial, on the National Mall, Washington, D. C. , United States, and was unveiled in 1922. The work follows in the Beaux Arts and American Renaissance style traditions.
57. Union Station Plaza
Columbus Circle, also known as Union Station Plaza or Columbus Plaza, is a traffic circle at the intersection of Delaware, Louisiana and Massachusetts Avenues and E and First Streets, Northeast in Washington, D. C. It is located in front of Union Station right next to the grounds of the United States Capitol. Union Station and its access roads interrupt this circle on one side, forming an arc.
58. Lincoln Temple United Church of Christ
Lincoln Temple United Church of Christ was a congregation of the United Church of Christ located since 1880 in the Shaw neighborhood in the Northwest Quadrant of Washington, D. C. The church building was completed in 1928 and is a historic structure that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. The church is also listed on the city's African-American Heritage Trail.
59. Bishop John Carroll
Bishop John Carroll is a statue by the sculptor Jerome Connor commemorating Archbishop John Carroll, the founder of Georgetown University and the first Catholic bishop in the United States. Located in front of Healy Hall, on university's campus in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D. C. , the statue consists of a bronze sculpture of Carroll on top of a granite pedestal.
60. Andrew Jackson
Andrew Jackson is a bronze equestrian statue by Clark Mills mounted on a white marble base in the center of Lafayette Square within President's Park in Washington, D. C. , just to the north of the White House. Jackson is depicted dressed in military uniform, raising his hat with his right hand, while controlling the reins with his left hand as his horse rises on its rear legs.
61. National Baptist Memorial Church
National Baptist Memorial Church is a Baptist church in Washington, D. C. It is located at the intersection of 16th Street NW and Columbia Road, where the Mt. Pleasant, Columbia Heights and Adams Morgan neighborhoods meet. The crossroads is notable for the triple steeples of National Baptist Memorial Church, All Souls Unitarian Church and the Unification Church's cathedral.
62. James Jackson
James Jackson was an early British-born Georgia politician of the Democratic-Republican Party. He was a member of the U. S. House of Representatives from 1789 until 1791. He was also a U. S. Senator from Georgia from 1793 to 1795, and from 1801 until his death in 1806. In 1797 he was elected 23rd Governor of Georgia, serving from 1798 to 1801 before returning to the senate.
63. McPherson Square
McPherson Square is a square in downtown Washington, D. C. It is bound by K Street Northwest to the north, Vermont Avenue NW on the East, I Street NW on the south, and 15th Street NW on the West; it is one block northeast of Lafayette Park. It is the sister square of Farragut Square two blocks west. and is served by the McPherson Square station of the Washington Metro.
64. Dumbarton Oaks
Dumbarton Oaks is a historic estate in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D. C. It was the residence and garden of wealthy U. S. diplomat Robert Woods Bliss (1875–1962) and his wife Mildred Barnes Bliss (1879–1969). The Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection was founded here by the Bliss couple, who gave the property to Harvard University in 1940.
65. Saint Pauls Lutheran Church
St. Paul's Lutheran Church is a decorated Gothic Revival-style Lutheran church in northwest Washington, D. C. Currently located off of Connecticut Avenue NW, between Ellicott and Everett Streets, it was originally founded in 1843 as the first English-speaking Lutheran church in the District. St. Paul's is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
66. Carnegie Library of Washington D.C
The Carnegie Library of Washington D. C. , also known as Central Public Library, now known as the Apple Carnegie Library, is situated in Mount Vernon Square, Washington, D. C. Donated to the public by entrepreneur Andrew Carnegie, it was dedicated on January 7, 1903. It was designed by the New York firm of Ackerman & Ross in the style of Beaux-Arts architecture.
Clamdigger is a bronze sculpture by Willem de Kooning. It may have been inspired by "the men who dug for clams along the beaches" near his home in East Hampton, New York. It has been described as one of his "extraordinarily tactile figurative sculptures" that "seemed pulled from the primordial ooze," and "as part man, part creature of the mud and the shallows."
68. Connecticut Avenue Northwest
The Kingle Valley Bridge, officially known as the Connecticut Avenue Bridge, is an Art Deco steel-arch bridge located near the National Zoological Park on Connecticut Avenue, Northwest in Washington, D. C. The bridge crosses Klingle Valley, running from Macomb Street to Devonshire Place and connecting the Cleveland Park and Woodley Park neighborhoods.
69. Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is a large minor Catholic basilica and national shrine located at 400 Michigan Avenue NE in the northeast quadrant of Washington, D. C. The basilica is adjacent to Catholic University of America and served by the Brookland–CUA station on the Red Line, roughly 1,640 feet (500 m) away.
70. Greenberg Theatre
The Harold and Sylvia Greenberg Theatre at American University is located in Tenleytown, Washington, DC. It opened in March 2003 with the mission of providing the University and civic community a place to experience live performances in music, theatre and dance. The theatre's construction was made possible by a gift from Harold and Sylvia Greenberg.
71. Franklin Square
Franklin Square is a square in downtown Washington, D. C. Purportedly named after Benjamin Franklin, it is bounded by K Street NW to the north, 13th Street NW on the east, I Street NW on the south, and 14th Street NW on the west. It is served by the McPherson Square station of the Washington Metro, which is located just southwest of the park.
72. Canova Lions
The Canova Lions, located in front of the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington, D. C. , are copies of a pair of lions sculpted by Antonio Canova in 1792 for the tomb of Pope Clement XIII in St Peter's in Rome. The originals were sculpted from marble; these were cast in bronze from molds of the originals. The pieces were installed in 1860.
73. President Lincoln's Cottage
President Lincoln and Soldiers’ Home National Monument, sometimes shortened to President Lincoln's Cottage, is a national monument on the grounds of the Soldiers' Home, known today as the Armed Forces Retirement Home. It is located near Brookland in Washington, D. C. President Lincoln's Cottage was formerly known as Anderson Cottage.
74. Homeless Jesus
Homeless Jesus, also known as Jesus the Homeless, is a bronze sculpture by Canadian sculptor Timothy Schmalz depicting Jesus as a homeless person, sleeping on a park bench. The original sculpture was installed at Regis College, University of Toronto, in early 2013. Other casts have since been installed at many places across the world.
75. Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
The Arthur M. Sackler Gallery is an art museum of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D. C. , focusing on Asian art. The Sackler Gallery and the Freer Gallery of Art together form the National Museum of Asian Art in the United States. The Freer and Sackler galleries house the largest Asian art research library in the country.
76. Christ Church Washington Parish
Christ Church — known also as Christ Church, Washington Parish or Christ Church on Capitol Hill — is a historic Episcopal church located at 620 G Street SE in Washington, D. C. , USA. The church is also called Christ Church, Navy Yard, because of its proximity to the Washington Navy Yard and the U. S. Marine Barracks nearby.
77. Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Monument
The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal commemorative obelisk is an 8-foot (2. 4 m) marble obelisk erected in 1850 in Washington, D. C. , to mark the completion of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal to Cumberland, Maryland. It stands on the northwest corner of the Wisconsin Avenue Bridge over the canal in Washington's Georgetown neighborhood.
78. Dumbarton Oaks Park
The Dumbarton Oaks Park is a public park, located in the 3100 block of R Street, Northwest, Washington, D. C. , in the Georgetown neighborhood. Access is via Lovers' Lane from R Street, east of 32nd Street. It is located near Dumbarton Oaks, Montrose Park, and Oak Hill Cemetery. It is part of the Georgetown Historic District.
79. Ukrainian Catholic National Shrine of the Holy Family
The Ukrainian Catholic National Shrine of the Holy Family is a Catholic church located near University Heights, Washington, D. C. The shrine is part of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, a sui iuris Eastern Catholic church in communion with the Bishop of Rome. The shrine is administered by the Archeparchy of Philadelphia.
80. For Gordon Bunshaft
For Gordon Bunshaft is a 2006 sculpture by Dan Graham, installed at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in Washington, D. C. , United States. The work, which refers to American architect Gordon Bunshaft, was installed by the reflection pool of the Bunshaft-designed sculpture garden at the Hirshhorn on May 30, 2008.
81. Washington Hebrew Congregation
Washington Hebrew Congregation (WHC) is a Reform Jewish synagogue in Washington, D. C. Washington Hebrew Congregation is currently a member of the Union for Reform Judaism. It is one of the largest Reform congregations in the United States, with 2,781 members reported on the Union for Reform Judaism database as of 2012.
82. Mary McLeod Bethune Council House
The Mary McLeod Bethune Council House National Historic Site preserves the house of Mary McLeod Bethune, located in Northwest Washington, D. C. , at 1318 Vermont Avenue NW. National Park Service rangers offer tours of the home, and a video about Bethune's life is shown. It is part of the Logan Circle Historic District.
83. Elbridge Gerry
Elbridge Gerry was an American Founding Father, merchant, politician, and diplomat who served as the fifth vice president of the United States under President James Madison from 1813 until his death in 1814. The political practice of gerrymandering is named after him. He was the second vice president to die in office.
84. (Here I Stand) In the Spirit of Paul Robeson
(Here I Stand) in the Spirit of Paul Robeson is a public artwork by American artist Allen Uzikee Nelson, located at the intersection of Kansas Ave NW, Georgia Ave NW and Varnum St NW in the Petworth neighborhood in Washington, D. C. , United States. It is a tribute to musician, actor and social activist Paul Robeson.
Brushstroke is a sculpture by Roy Lichtenstein. There are two copies. The original was created in 2001 for the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía in Madrid, Spain. The second was delivered to the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in Washington, DC, on September 16, 2003, and dedicated on October 25, 2003.
86. An Entrance to the Paris Métropolitain
An Entrance to the Paris Métropolitain is a sculpture by Hector Guimard, conceived in 1902 and fabricated between 1902 and 1913. Guimard designed 141 entrances to the Paris Métro of varying types, 86 of which are still standing. One is featured at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden in Washington, D. C.
87. Edmund Burke Statue
Edmund Burke is a bronze full length statue of Irish statesman, author, orator, political theorist and philosopher Edmund Burke by British artist James Havard Thomas. The original is in Bristol, England, with a second cast on Massachusetts Avenue at 11th and "L" Streets, NW, in Washington, D. C. , United States.
88. Nineteenth Street Baptist Church
The Nineteenth Street Baptist Church, located on 16th Street, NW, is considered to be the first and oldest black Baptist congregation in Washington, D. C. Since its founding in 1839, the church has figured prominently within the historical and social fabric of Washington, D. C. 's African American community.
89. Belmont-Paul Women's Equality National Monument
The Belmont–Paul Women's Equality National Monument is a historic house and museum of the U. S. women's suffrage and equal rights movements located in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Washington, D. C. The monument is named after suffragists and National Woman's Party leaders Alva Belmont and Alice Paul.
90. American Legion Freedom Bell
Freedom Bell, American Legion, is a public artwork located at Union Station in Washington, D. C. , United States. A replica of the Liberty Bell, Freedom Bell, American Legion was surveyed as part of the Smithsonian's American Art Museum's Inventories of American Painting and Sculpture database in 1985.
91. Cathedral of Saint Matthew the Apostle
The Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle in Washington, D. C. , most commonly known as St. Matthew's Cathedral, is the seat of the Archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington. As St. Matthew's Cathedral and Rectory, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
92. Saint Marks Episcopal Church
St. Mark's Episcopal Church, also known as St. Mark's, Capitol Hill, is a historic Episcopal church located at 3rd and A Streets, Southeast in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Washington, D. C. Built 1888–1894, the church is an example of Gothic Revival and Romanesque Revival architectures.
93. Friendship Baptist Church
Friendship Baptist Church is a church located at 900 Delaware Avenue SW in the Southwest Waterfront neighborhood of Washington, D. C. It was originally known as Virginia Avenue Baptist Church. Organized in 1875, the church is one of Washington, D. C. 's oldest African-American congregations.
94. Butt-Millet Memorial Fountain
The Butt–Millet Memorial Fountain is a memorial fountain in President's Park in Washington, D. C. , in the United States. Dedicated in October 1913, it commemorates the deaths of Archibald Butt and Francis Davis Millet. Both men died during the sinking of the RMS Titanic on April 15, 1912.
95. Twin Oaks
The Twin Oaks is a 17-acre estate located in the Cleveland Park neighborhood in Washington, D. C. , United States. It was the residence of nine Republic of China ambassadors to the United States before the United States broke off diplomatic ties to the Republic of China on Taiwan in 1979.
96. National Presbyterian Church
The National Presbyterian Church is a Christian congregation of approximately 1,500 members of all ages from the greater metropolitan Washington, D. C. , area. The mission statement of the church is "Leading People to Become Faithful Followers of Jesus Christ Together in God’s World"
97. John Gould Stephenson
John Gould Stephenson was an American physician and soldier. He was the fifth Librarian of the United States Congress from 1861 to 1864. He was referred to as the "librarian of the Civil War era" because Stephenson's tenure of librarianship covered almost the entire length of the war.
98. Anna Thornton
Anna Maria Brodeau Thornton (1775?–1865) was a prominent Washington, D. C. , socialite, diarist, and the wife of architect William Thornton, who designed the first United States Capitol building. She rubbed shoulders with figures such as George Washington and Dolley Madison.
99. Daniel Webster Memorial
The Daniel Webster Memorial is a monument in Washington, D. C. honoring U. S. statesman Daniel Webster. It is located near Webster's former home at 1603 Massachusetts Avenue Northwest, beside Scott Circle at the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Rhode Island Avenue.
100. Clyde Tolson
Clyde Anderson Tolson was the second-ranking official of the FBI from 1930 until 1972, from 1947 titled Associate Director, primarily responsible for personnel and discipline. He was the protégé, long-time top deputy, and possible lover of FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.