Explore interesting sights in St. Louis, United States. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 38 sights are available in St. Louis, United States.Sightseeing Tours in St. Louis
1. Southern Pacific Railroad #4460
Southern Pacific 4460 is the only surviving class "GS-6" steam locomotive, together with "GS-4" class Southern Pacific 4449, which is operational in excursion service. The GS-6 is a semi-streamlined 4-8-4 "Northern" type steam locomotive. GS stands for "Golden State" or "General Service". The locomotive was built by the Lima Locomotive Works (LLW) for the Southern Pacific Railroad (SP) in 1943. The GS-6 lacked side skirting and red and orange "Daylight" paint found on previous locomotives of the GS class and were painted black and silver instead. The War Production Board controlled locomotive manufacturers during World War II and had turned down Southern Pacific's order of fourteen new Daylight locomotives in 1942. Southern Pacific re-designed the new fleet based on the older GS-2s, only with 260 psi instead of 250 psi, an all-weather cab, and a new GS-4 style tender. The design was finally approved, but the War Production Board reassigned four to the smaller and power-starved Western Pacific Railroad. Their smaller size when compared to previous GS class locomotives and the fact that they were built during World War II earned them the nicknames "War Babies".
2. Eads Bridge
The Eads Bridge is a combined road and railway bridge over the Mississippi River connecting the cities of St. Louis, Missouri, and East St. Louis, Illinois. It is located on the St. Louis riverfront between Laclede's Landing to the north, and the grounds of the Gateway Arch to the south. The bridge is named for its designer and builder, James Buchanan Eads. Work on the bridge began in 1867, and it was completed in 1874. The Eads Bridge was the first bridge across the Mississippi south of the Missouri River. Earlier bridges were located north of the Missouri, where the Mississippi is smaller. None of the earlier bridges survive, which means that the Eads Bridge is also the oldest bridge on the river.
3. Anheuser-Busch Brewery
Anheuser-Busch Brewery is a brewery complex in St. Louis, Missouri. It was opened in 1852 by German immigrant Adolphus Busch. It a National Historic Landmark District. The Lyon Schoolhouse Museum is on the grounds at the Anheuser-Busch Brewery. It is considered to be one of oldest school buildings in St Louis. It served as the head offices of the brewery after 1907. The museum contains rare mementos gathered from the founding of the company to current day, including pictures of the brewery and its expansion over the years. The 142 acres (57 ha) property includes 189 buildings. Some of the most striking are red brick Romanesque architecture with crenelated towers and elaborate ornamentation.
4. The Griot Museum of Black History
The Griot Museum of Black History is a wax museum in St. Louis, Missouri, founded in 1997. Originally named The Black World History Wax Museum, the organization changed its name to The Griot Museum of Black History in 2009. In some west African countries, the griot, is a historian, storyteller, praise singer, poet and/or musician. The griot is a repository of oral tradition and is often seen as a societal leader who preserves and shares cultural traditions of a community. Likewise, the museum collects, preserves, and shares the stories, culture, and history of Black people with a focus on those with a regional connection to St. Louis.
5. Forest Park
Forest Park is a public park in western St. Louis, Missouri. It is a prominent civic center and covers 1,326 acres (5.37 km2). Opened in 1876, more than a decade after its proposal, the park has hosted several significant events, including the Louisiana Purchase Exposition of 1904 and the 1904 Summer Olympics. Bounded by Washington University in St. Louis, Skinker Boulevard, Lindell Boulevard, Kingshighway Boulevard, and Oakland Avenue, it is known as the "Heart of St. Louis" and features a variety of attractions, including the St. Louis Zoo, the St. Louis Art Museum, the Missouri History Museum, and the St. Louis Science Center.
6. First Church of Christ Scientist Saint Louis
First Church of Christ, Scientist, is an historic Christian Science church edifice located at 475 North Kingshighway Boulevard, corner of Westminster Place, in St. Louis, Missouri. Built in 1903–1904, it was designed as a stone building in the Classical Revival style of architecture by Edward Gordon Garden of Mauran, Russell & Garden and was the first institutional commission of that fledgling firm. Cost concerns, though, resulted in it being built of brick. It is a contributing property in the Holy Corners Historic District which was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 29, 1975.
7. Frisco Building
The Frisco Building is a historic office building in downtown St. Louis, Missouri. The building was built in 1903-04 as the headquarters for the St. Louis–San Francisco Railway, which was also known as the Frisco. The architecture firm Eames and Young designed the building as well as its 1905-06 addition; the building's subtle ornamentation and its pier and spandrel system were both important developments in skyscraper design. The Frisco occupied the building for almost eighty years after its opening, and in that time played an important role in Missouri's economic development through railroad construction.
8. Monsanto Insectarium
The Bayer Insectarium is an insectarium located within the Saint Louis Zoo in St. Louis, Missouri, United States. Having opened in 2000 and designed by David Mason & Associates with a cost of $4 million, this 9,000 square feet (840 m2) facility houses educational exhibits and an active breeding and research facility. It also includes a window to the exhibits area and two-way communications so visitors may watch entomologists work and ask them questions. The facility even includes a geodesic flight dome cage, which is home to numerous rainforest flowers and butterfly species.
9. Carondelet Park
Carondelet Park, established in 1875, is the third largest park in the city of St. Louis, Missouri. The park contains nearly 180 acres (0.73 km2) and is located in the southeastern portion of the city, just west of Interstate 55, and is accessible at the Loughborough Avenue exit. Loughborough Avenue is the park's southern boundary; its northern boundary is Holly Hills Boulevard. The park takes its name from Carondelet, St. Louis. The Carondelet, Holly Hills, Boulevard Heights, and Bevo Mill neighborhoods surround the park, and the park is a focal point for the community.
10. World Chess Hall of Fame
The World Chess Hall of Fame (WCHOF) is a nonprofit, collecting institution situated in the Central West End neighborhood of St. Louis, Missouri, United States. It features chess exhibits, engages in educational outreach, and maintains a list of inductees to the U.S. Chess Hall of Fame and World Chess Hall of Fame, the latter category being nominated by FIDE. Founded in 1984, it is run by the United States Chess Trust. Formerly located in New Windsor, New York, Washington, D.C., and Miami, Florida, it moved to St. Louis on September 9, 2011.
11. Soldiers Memorial Military Museum
The Soldiers Memorial Military Museum in downtown St. Louis, Missouri is a memorial and military museum, at 1315 Chestnut Street, owned by the City of St. Louis and operated by the Missouri Historical Society. Interior east and west wings contain display cases with military displays and memorabilia from World War I and subsequent American wars. The open-air central breezeway contains a massive black marble cenotaph upon which are engraved the names of all of St. Louis' war dead from the first world war.
12. Norfolk & Western Y6a #2156
Norfolk & Western 2156 is a four-cylinder compound articulated class "Y6a"Mallet" type steam locomotive with a 2-8-8-2 wheel arrangement. The Norfolk & Western Railway built it in 1942 at its Roanoke Shops in Roanoke, Virginia as a member of the N&W's Y6a class. It is the strongest-pulling extant steam locomotive in the world, although it is not operational. It was retired from regular rail service in July 1959 and is now owned by the National Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, Missouri.
13. Christ Church Cathedral
Christ Church Cathedral is the Episcopal cathedral for the Diocese of Missouri. It is located at 1210 Locust Street in St. Louis, Missouri. The dean of the cathedral is the Very Reverend Kathie Adams-Shepherd. Adams-Shepherd is also the first female dean of this cathedral. Built during 1859–67, it is one of the few well-preserved surviving works of Leopold Eidlitz, a leading mid-19th-century American architect, and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1994 for its architecture.
14. Museum of Transportation
The National Museum of Transportation (TNMOT) is a private, 42-acre transportation museum in the Kirkwood suburb of St. Louis, Missouri. Founded in 1944, it restores, preserves, and displays a wide variety of vehicles spanning 15 decades of American history: cars, boats, aircraft, and in particular, locomotives and railroad equipment from around the United States. The museum is also home to a research library of transportation-related memorabilia and documents.
15. Joseph Erlanger House
The Joseph Erlanger House is a historic house at 5127 Waterman Boulevard in St. Louis, Missouri. As a National Historic Landmark, it was designated to recognize the achievements of Joseph Erlanger (1874-1965), an American doctor and physiologist, who was awarded with the Nobel Prize in medicine in 1944. It was Erlanger's home from 1917 until his death. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976. However, the house is not open to the public.
16. Scott Joplin House
The Scott Joplin House State Historic Site is located at 2658 Delmar Boulevard in St. Louis, Missouri. It preserves the Scott Joplin Residence, the home of composer Scott Joplin from 1901 to 1903. The house and its surroundings are maintained by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources as a state historic site. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places and designated a U.S. National Historic Landmark in 1976.
Citygarden is an urban park and sculpture garden in St. Louis, Missouri owned by the City of St. Louis but maintained by the Gateway Foundation. It is located between Eighth, Tenth, Market, and Chestnut streets, in the city's "Gateway Mall" area. Before being converted to a garden and park, the site comprised two empty blocks of grass. Citygarden was dedicated on June 30, 2009, and opened one day later, on July 1, 2009.
18. Wainwright Building
The Wainwright Building is a 10-story, 41 m (135 ft) terra cotta office building at 709 Chestnut Street in downtown St. Louis, Missouri. The Wainwright Building is considered to be one of the first aesthetically fully expressed early skyscrapers. It was designed by Dankmar Adler and Louis Sullivan and built between 1890 and 1891. It was named for local brewer, building contractor, and financier Ellis Wainwright.
19. Saint Louis Art Museum
The Saint Louis Art Museum (SLAM) is one of the principal U.S. art museums, with paintings, sculptures, cultural objects, and ancient masterpieces from all corners of the world. Its three-story building stands in Forest Park in St. Louis, Missouri, where it is visited by up to a half million people every year. Admission is free through a subsidy from the cultural tax district for St. Louis City and County.
20. Powell Symphony Hall
The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra is an American symphony orchestra based in St. Louis, Missouri. Founded in 1880 by Joseph Otten as the St. Louis Choral Society, the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra (SLSO) is the second-oldest professional symphony orchestra in the United States, preceded only by the New York Philharmonic. Its principal concert venue is Powell Hall, located in midtown St. Louis.
21. The Roberts Orpheum Theater
The Orpheum Theater in St. Louis, Missouri is a Beaux-Arts style theater, built in 1917. It was constructed by local self-made millionaire Louis A. Cella and designed by architect Albert Lansburgh. The $500,000 theater opened on Labor Day, 1917, as a vaudeville house. As vaudeville declined, it was sold to Warner Brothers in 1930, and served as a movie theater until it closed in the 1960s.
22. National Blues Museum
The National Blues Museum is a 501(c)(3) non-profit museum in St. Louis, Missouri, United States, dedicated to exploring the musical history and impact of the blues. It exists as an entertainment and educational resource focusing on blues music. The Museum offers a rotating collection of exhibits, live performances in the Lumiere Place Legends room, and is available for private events.
23. Quinn Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Quinn Chapel AME Church is a historic African Methodist Episcopal Church building located at 227 Bowen Street in the Carondelet section of St. Louis, Missouri, in the United States. Built in 1869 as the North Public Market, it was acquired by the church in 1880. On October 16, 1974, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Its current pastor is Rev. Lori K. Beason.
24. Shelley House
The Shelley House is a historic house at 4600 Labadie Avenue in St. Louis, Missouri. Built in 1906, this duplex was the focus of the 1948 United States Supreme Court case Shelley v. Kraemer, which ruled that judicial enforcement by state courts of racially restrictive covenants violated the Constitution. The house was designated a National Historic Landmark on December 14, 1990.
25. Eugene Field House
The Eugene Field House is a historic house museum in St. Louis, Missouri. Built in 1845, it was the home of Roswell Field, an attorney for Dred Scott in the landmark Dred Scott v. Sandford court case. Field's son, Eugene Field, was raised there and became a noted writer of children's stories. A National Historic Landmark, it is now a museum known as the Field House Museum.
26. Bell Telephone Building
The Bell Telephone Building, located at 920 Olive Street in downtown St. Louis, Missouri, was built in 1889 for the purposes of housing the switchboard and local headquarters of the Bell Telephone Company. The building served as the main telephone exchange for St. Louis from its construction until 1926, and it is the oldest extant telephone building in St. Louis.
27. Fox Theatre
The Fox Theatre, a former movie palace, is a performing arts center located at 527 N. Grand Blvd. in St. Louis, Missouri, United States. Also known as "The Fabulous Fox", it is situated in the arts district of the Grand Center area in Midtown St. Louis, one block north of Saint Louis University. It opened in 1929 and was completely restored in 1982.
28. Bissell Water Tower
Bissell Street Water Tower is a historic standpipe water tower located at the junction of Bissell Street and Blair Avenue in St. Louis, Missouri. The tower was completed in 1886 and was in service until 1912. It is one of three remaining historic standpipes in Saint Louis, along with the Grand Avenue Water Tower and the Compton Hill Water Tower.
29. Saint Louis Science Center
The Saint Louis Science Center, founded as a planetarium in 1963, is a collection of buildings including a science museum and planetarium in St. Louis, Missouri, on the southeastern corner of Forest Park. With over 750 exhibits in a complex of over 300,000 square feet (28,000 m2), it is among the largest of its type in the United States.
30. St. Louis Union Station
St. Louis Union Station is a National Historic Landmark and former train station in St. Louis, Missouri. At its 1894 opening, the station was the largest in the world that had tracks and passenger service areas all on one level. Traffic peaked at 100,000 people a day in the 1940s. The last Amtrak passenger train left the station in 1978.
31. Apotheosis of Saint Louis
Apotheosis of St. Louis is a statue of King Louis IX of France, namesake of St. Louis, Missouri, located in front of the Saint Louis Art Museum in Forest Park. Part of the iconography of St. Louis, the statue was the principal symbol of the city between its erection in 1906 and the construction of the Gateway Arch in the mid-1960s.
32. St. Mary of Victories Church
The Church of St. Mary of Victories is a historic Roman Catholic church in downtown St. Louis, Missouri, in the Chouteau's Landing Historic District south of the Gateway Arch. It was established in 1843, and was the second Catholic Church to be built in the city. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
33. Antioch Baptist Church
The Antioch Baptist Church in St. Louis, Missouri is a church long important in the black community of the Ville neighborhood of North St. Louis. It is located in a Gothic Revival-style brick building at 4213 N. Market St. which was built in 1921. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.
34. Lafayette Park
Lafayette Square is a neighborhood in St. Louis, Missouri, which is bounded on the north by Chouteau Avenue, on the south by Interstate 44, on the east by Truman Parkway, and on the west by South Jefferson Avenue. It surrounds Lafayette Park, which is the city's oldest public park — created by local ordinance in 1836.
35. Old Courthouse
The Old St. Louis County Courthouse was built as a combination federal and state courthouse in St. Louis, Missouri, United States. Missouri's tallest habitable building from 1864 to 1894, it is now part of Gateway Arch National Park and operated by the National Park Service for historical exhibits and events.
36. Saint Raymond Maronite Cathedral
St. Raymond's Cathedral is a Maronite Catholic co-cathedral located in St. Louis, Missouri, United States. It is the seat of the Eparchy of Our Lady of Lebanon of Los Angeles along with Our Lady of Mt. Lebanon-St. Peter Cathedral in Los Angeles.
37. Sugarloaf Mound
Sugarloaf Mound is the sole remaining Mississippian culture platform mound in St. Louis, Missouri, a city commonly referred to in its earlier years as "Mound City" for its approximately 40 Native American earthen structures.
38. 700 Market
700 Market is a six-story office building located at 700 Market Street in downtown St. Louis, Missouri, United States. Spire, Inc. is the sole tenant of the building, using it for its corporate headquarters.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.