Explore interesting sights in Richmond, United States. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 34 sights are available in Richmond, United States.Sightseeing Tours in Richmond
1. Virginia State Library - Oliver Hill Building
Virginia State Library-Oliver Hill Building, also known as the State Finance Building, is a historic library and government office building located on Capitol Square in Richmond, Virginia. It was built in 1892–1894, expanded in 1908–1910, remodeled in 1929, and renovated and expanded in 2004. It is a three-story, Beaux Arts style building with a buff brick veneer and terra cotta detailing. It features an Ionic order portico echoing the Virginia State Capitol’s portico. It originally housed the Virginia State Library collections, the Virginia Supreme Court, and office of the Attorney General. From 1910 to 1964, the State Museum of Natural History was housed in a new wing. In 1939, the functions of the State Library and Supreme Court were moved to the new Virginia State Library building, now the Patrick Henry Building, and the building was rechristened the State Finance Building. On October 28, 2005, the building was officially renamed the Oliver Hill Building, after Oliver Hill.
Marburg is a historic home located in the Carillon/Byrd Park area of Richmond, Virginia. It is the oldest standing residence in this area of Richmond, predating nearby Maymont by 4 years. The house was slated for demolition in 2013 to make way for 6 new homes but was saved by an ardent group of preservationists and the Historic Richmond Foundation. The redesigned development will now incorporate and encircle the existing house. An exterior restoration was completed in 2015 returning the house to its original colors after being stark white for many years. The barn red roof color was also restored. Two antebellum structures survive on this property: a 2-room servant cottage and a kitchen, both of which pre-date the house itself by over 30 years. As of February 2021, the house and dependencies have been repainted white with green shutters and roof, retaining a classic feel amongst the newer homes built around it.
3. Children's Museum of Richmond
The Children's Museum of Richmond began in 1977 as the Richmond Children's Museum in the Navy Hill School building in downtown Richmond, Virginia. In 2000, the museum moved to its current location on Broad Street in Richmond. In 2010 The Children's Museum of Richmond became the first in the country to open a satellite location, at West Broad Village in Short Pump, located in the West End of Richmond. The Children's Museum of Richmond opened two other satellites in 2012 and 2014 in Chesterfield, Virginia and Fredericksburg, Virginia. On July 11, 2015, The Short Pump location moved from West Broad Village to Short Pump Town Center. The Short Pump & Fredricksburg locations closed in 2020 due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. The Short Pump Town Center location was replaced by Draftcade. The museum is also home of Commonwealth Parenting and the Central Virginia Book Bank.
4. Central National Bank Building
The Central National Bank building is a 23-story Art Deco skyscraper located in Richmond, Virginia. Completed in 1929, it was one of the first skyscrapers in the city of Richmond not in the heart of the financial district. According to architectural historian Richard Guy Wilson, it and the West Hospital building, are the only two skyscrapers in Richmond to have used the fashionable Art Deco ziggurat-inspired setback, and only a few others exist elsewhere in Virginia. When the bank later changed hands, it was known as the Central Fidelity Bank. It was used as a branch bank for Wachovia Corp. until that closed in 2000. After nearly fifteen years of vacancy, it was converted into apartments, and the first resident moved into the building in mid-2016. The redevelopment is called to "Deco at CNB," a 200-apartment development by Douglas Development Corp.
5. Byrd Park
Byrd Park, also known as William Byrd Park, is a public park located in Richmond, Virginia, United States, north of the James River and adjacent to Maymont. The 200-acre (0.81 km2) park includes a mile-long trail with exercise stops, monuments, an amphitheatre, and three small lakes: Shields, Swan, and Boat Lake. Boat Lake has a lighted fountain at its center. Visitors can rent pedal boats there in season. The park includes tennis courts, Little League baseball fields, and a children's playground. The historic round house and Poplar Vale Cemetery are also located in the park. It is named after William Byrd II, whose family owned much of the area when Richmond was founded in 1737. The park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2016.
6. Cary Street Park and Shop Center
Cary Street Park and Shop Center, also known as the Cary Court Shopping Center, is a historic shopping center developed by the C. F. Sauer family in the Carytown district of Richmond, Virginia. It was built in 1938 in the Art Deco style. Two rectangular wings to the west and east were completed in 1949 and 1951. The structure is essentially a one-story structure in the shape of an elongated "U" and constructed of brick, granite, limestone and marble veneer. It features a prominent parking area, an uninterrupted string of large modern aluminum and glass doors and commercial storefront windows, a stepped limestone parapet, curved windows, and a low, projecting stucco canopy.
7. Virginia Civil Rights Memorial
The Virginia Civil Rights Memorial is a monument in Richmond, Virginia, commemorating protests which helped bring about school desegregation in the state. The memorial was opened in July 2008, and is located on the grounds of the Virginia State Capitol. It features eighteen statues of leaders or participants in the Civil Rights Movement on four sides of a rectangular granite stone block onto which are carved quotes. The memorial was designed by Stanley Bleifeld, who was chosen by the commission behind the construction of the monument. The memorial cost $2.8 million which was financed by private donations.
8. Old Round Church
The Round Church, also known as the Old Round Church, is a historic church on Round Church Road in Richmond, Vermont. Built in 1812–1813, it is a rare, well-preserved example of a sixteen-sided meeting house. It was built to serve as the meeting place for the town as well as five Protestant congregations. Today it is maintained by the Richmond Historical Society and is open to the public during the summer and early fall, It is also available for weddings and other events. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1996 for the rarity of its form and its exceptional state of preservation.
9. Wilton House Museum
Wilton House Museum is a museum in a historic house located in Richmond, Virginia. Wilton was constructed c. 1753 by William Randolph III, son of William Randolph II, of Turkey Island. Wilton was originally the manor house on a 2,000-acre (8.1 km2) tobacco plantation known as "World's End" located on the north bank of the James River several miles east of the city of Richmond. Between 1747 and 1759, William III acquired more than a dozen contiguous tracts of land. About 1753, Randolph completed building a Georgian manor house, which he named "Wilton," on a site overlooking the river.
10. Virginia Washington Monument
The Virginia Washington Monument, known locally simply as the Washington Monument, is a 19th-century neoclassical statue of George Washington located on the public square in Richmond, Virginia. It was designed by Thomas Crawford (1814-1857) and completed under the supervision of Randolph Rogers (1825-1892) after Crawford's death. It is the terminus for Grace Street. The cornerstone of the monument was laid in 1850 and it became the second equestrian statue of Washington to be unveiled in the United States. It was not completed until 1869.
11. Richmond CenterStage
Richmond CenterStage is a performing arts center in Richmond, Virginia, that includes the Altria Theatre and the theatre formerly known as Carpenter Theatre Center for the Performing Arts. The Carpenter Theatre was originally a Loew's Theatre movie palace developed by the Loew's Theatres company and designed by John Eberson. The building's construction began in 1927, with its doors opening in 1928. The Altria Theatre was constructed a year earlier, in 1926, and was originally a Shriners hall.
12. Chimborazo Medical Museum
Chimborazo Hospital was a Civil War-era facility built in Richmond, Virginia to service the medical needs of the Confederate Army. It functioned between 1862 and 1865 in what is now Chimborazo Park, treating over 76,000 injured Confederate soldiers. During its existence, the hospital admitted nearly 78,000 patients and between 6,500 and 8,000 of these patients died. This mortality rate of between 8.3 and 10.3 percent is among the lowest such rates of period military hospitals.
13. St. Peters Catholic Church
St. Peter's Pro-Cathedral is a Catholic church located in Richmond, Virginia, United States. It is the oldest Catholic church in the city. From the erecting of the Diocese of Richmond in 1850 until the completion of the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in 1906, St. Peter's Church served as the cathedral and seat of the diocese. Originally, the church was predominantly Irish American. The church continued to serve a congregation of approximately 300 as of 2011.
14. Cathedral of the Sacred Heart
The Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Richmond, Virginia, is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Richmond. The property is located along North Laurel Street at 823 Cathedral Place, facing Monroe Park one block north of Main Street. Construction of the cathedral was begun in 1903, financed by donations of Thomas Fortune Ryan and his wife; it was the only cathedral at that time known to be constructed by the exclusive patronage of a single family.
15. American Civil War Museum
The American Civil War Museum is a multi-site museum in the Greater Richmond Region of central Virginia, dedicated to the history of the American Civil War. The museum operates three sites: The White House of the Confederacy, American Civil War Museum at Historic Tredegar in Richmond, and American Civil War Museum at Appomattox. It maintains a comprehensive collection of artifacts, manuscripts, Confederate books and pamphlets, and photographs.
16. White House of the Confederacy
The White House of the Confederacy is a historic house located in the Court End neighborhood of Richmond, Virginia. Built in 1818, it was the main executive residence of the sole President of the Confederate States of America, Jefferson Davis, from August 1861 until April 1865. It was viewed as the Confederate States counterpart to the White House in Washington, D. C. It currently sits on the campus of Virginia Commonwealth University.
17. C&O Church Hill Tunnel Western Portal
Church Hill Tunnel is an old Chesapeake and Ohio Railway (C&O) tunnel, built in the early 1870s, which extends approximately 4,000 feet under the Church Hill district of Richmond, Virginia, United States. On October 2, 1925, the tunnel collapsed on a work train, killing four men and trapping a steam locomotive and ten flat cars. Rescue efforts only resulted in further collapse, and the tunnel was eventually sealed for safety reasons.
18. Richmond Congregational Church
The Richmond Congregational Church is a historic church at 20 Church Street in Richmond, Vermont, United States. Built in 1903-04, it is a significant local example of Colonial Revival architecture, designed by prominent Vermont architect Walter R. B. Willcox. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. The congregation is affiliated with the United Church of Christ; the minister is Rev. Katelyn Macrae.
19. John Marshall House
The John Marshall House is a historic house museum and National Historic Landmark at 818 East Marshall Street in Richmond, Virginia. It was the home of Chief Justice of the United States and Founding Father John Marshall, who was appointed to the court in 1801 by President John Adams and served for the rest of his life, writing such influential decisions as Marbury v. Madison (1803) and McCulloch v. Maryland (1819).
20. Virginia Museum of History and Culture
The Virginia Museum of History and Culture founded in 1831 as the Virginia Historical and Philosophical Society and headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, is a major repository, research, and teaching center for Virginia history. It is a private, non-profit organization, supported almost entirely by private contributions. In 2004, it was designated the official state historical society of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
21. Agecroft Hall
Agecroft Hall is a Tudor manor house and estate located at 4305 Sulgrave Road on the James River in the Windsor Farms neighborhood of Richmond, Virginia, United States. The manor house was built in the late 15th century, and was originally located in the Irwell Valley at Agecroft, Pendlebury, then in the historic county of Lancashire, England, but by the 20th century it was unoccupied and in a state of disrepair.
22. Monroe Park
Monroe Park is a 7.5 acres (3.0 ha) landscaped park 1 mile (1.6 km) northwest of the Virginia State Capitol Building in Richmond, Virginia. It is named after James Monroe, the fifth President of the United States (1817–1825). The park unofficially demarcates the eastern point of the Fan District and is Richmond's oldest park. It occupies the center of the Virginia Commonwealth University Monroe Park Campus.
23. Golden State Model Railroad Museum
The Golden State Model Railroad Museum is an operating model railroad exhibit located in Point Richmond, California, within the boundary of the Miller/Knox Regional Shoreline park. It is located in the Brickyard Cove area and features dozens of realistic city and country scenes, with trains from different eras running on several layouts in different scales. It is on the US National Register of Historic Places.
24. Monumental Church
Monumental Church is a former Episcopal church at 1224 E. Broad Street between N. 12th and College streets in Richmond, Virginia. Designed by architect Robert Mills, it is one of America's earliest and most distinctive Greek Revival churches. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, has been designated as a National Historic Landmark and is located in the Court End historic district.
25. Brown's Island
Brown's Island is an artificial island on the James River in Richmond, Virginia, formed by the Haxall Canal. Part of the city's James River Park, it is the popular venue of a large number of outdoor concerts and festivals in the spring and summer, such as the weekly Friday Cheers concert series or Dominion Riverrock. The Rivanna Subdivision Trestle crosses over the island.
26. Madonna of the Trail
Madonna of the Trail is a series of 12 identical monuments dedicated to the spirit of pioneer women in the United States. The monuments were commissioned by the National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR). They were installed in each of the 12 states along the National Old Trails Road, which extended from Cumberland, Maryland, to Upland, California.
27. Centenary United Methodist Church
Centenary United Methodist Church is a historic Methodist church located in Richmond, Virginia. The Gothic Revival building was completed in 1843. A simple brick building it was initially designed by John and Samuel Freeman before receiving a major expansion in the 1870s according to designs by Richmond architect Albert L. West. It is located at 411 East Grace Street.
28. Altria Theater
The Altria Theater in Richmond, Virginia, United States is a theater at the southwest corner of Monroe Park on the campus of Virginia Commonwealth University, and is the largest venue of Richmond CenterStage's performing arts complex. Formerly known as The Mosque and the Landmark Theater, the Altria Theater was originally built for Shriners of the Acca Temple Shrine.
29. Byrd Theatre
The Byrd Theatre is a cinema in the Carytown neighborhood of Richmond, Virginia. It was named after William Byrd II, the founder of the city. The theater opened on December 24, 1928 to much excitement and is affectionately referred to as "Richmond’s Movie Palace". It was the first cinema in Virginia to be outfitted when built with a sound system.
30. Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) is an art museum in Richmond, Virginia, United States, which opened in 1936. The museum is owned and operated by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Private donations, endowments, and funds are used for the support of specific programs and all acquisition of artwork, as well as additional general support.
31. Saint Paul's Episcopal Church
St. Paul's Episcopal Church is an historic Episcopal church in Richmond, Virginia, United States. Located directly across the street from the Virginia State Capitol, it has long been a popular house of worship for political figures, including General Robert E. Lee and Confederate President Jefferson Davis. Davis was a member.
32. Brooks Island Regional Preserve
33. Science Museum of Virginia
34. Branch House
Branch House in Richmond, Virginia, was designed in 1916 by the firm of John Russell Pope as a private residence of financier John Kerr Branch (1865–1930) and his wife Beulah Gould Branch (1860–1952).
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.