Looking for premium sights?
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Philadelphia:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Want a guided Free Walking Tour?
Here you can book guided Free Walking Tours in Philadelphia:Guided Free Walking Tours on GuruWalk*
Here you can find interesting sights in Philadelphia, United States. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 100 sights are available in Philadelphia, United States.List of cities in United States Sightseeing Tours in Philadelphia
1. The MetBook Ticket*
The Metropolitan Opera House is a historic opera house located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It has been used for many different purposes over its history. Now known as The Met, the theatre reopened in December 2018, after a complete renovation, as a concert venue. It is managed by Live Nation Philadelphia.
2. Betsy Ross HouseBook Ticket*
The Betsy Ross House is a landmark in Philadelphia purported to be the site where the seamstress and flag-maker Betsy Ross (1752-1836) lived when she is said to have sewed the first American Flag. The origins of the Betsy Ross myth trace back to her relatives, particularly her grandsons, William and George Canby, and the celebrations of the Centennial of 1876. Evidence for the precise location of Ross's home came from verification provided by several surviving family members, although the best archival evidence indicates the house would have been adjacent to the one that still stands today as The Betsy Ross House. The 1937 Philadelphia Guide noted that, after the current Betsy Ross House was selected as the Flag House, the adjacent building where Ross may have indeed lived "was torn down to lessen the hazards of fire, perhaps adding a touch of irony to what may well have been an error in research." Although the house is one of the most visited tourist sites in Philadelphia, the claim that Ross once lived there, and that she designed and sewed the first American flag, sometimes called the Betsy Ross flag, are considered false by most historians.
3. First Bank of the United StatesBook Ticket*
The President, Directors and Company of the Bank of the United States, commonly known as the First Bank of the United States, was a national bank, chartered for a term of twenty years, by the United States Congress on February 25, 1791. It followed the Bank of North America, the nation's first de facto national bank. However, neither served the functions of a modern central bank: They did not set monetary policy, regulate private banks, hold their excess reserves, or act as a lender of last resort. They were national insofar as they were allowed to have branches in multiple states and lend money to the US government. Other banks in the US were each chartered by, and only allowed to have branches in, a single state.
4. Independence HallBook Ticket*
Independence Hall is a historic civic building in Philadelphia, where both the United States Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution were debated and adopted by America's Founding Fathers. The structure forms the centerpiece of the Independence National Historical Park and has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
5. LOVEBook Ticket*
Love is a pop art image by American artist Robert Indiana. It consists of the letters L and O over the letters V and E in bold Didone type; the O is slanted sideways so that its oblong negative space creates a line leading to the V.
6. Masonic TempleBook Ticket*
The Masonic Temple is a historic Masonic building in Philadelphia. Located at 1 North Broad Street, directly across from Philadelphia City Hall, it serves as the headquarters of the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania, Free and Accepted Masons. The Temple features the Masonic Library and Museum of Pennsylvania, and receives thousands of visitors every year to view the ornate structure, which includes seven lodge rooms, where today a number of Philadelphia lodges and the Grand Lodge conduct their meetings.
7. Philadelphia Museum of ArtBook Ticket*
The Philadelphia Museum of Art is an art museum originally chartered in 1876 for the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. The main museum building was completed in 1928 on Fairmount, a hill located at the northwest end of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway at Eakins Oval. The museum administers collections containing over 240,000 objects including major holdings of European, American and Asian origin. The various classes of artwork include sculpture, paintings, prints, drawings, photographs, armor, and decorative arts.
8. Liberty BellBook Ticket*
The Liberty Bell, previously called the State House Bell or Old State House Bell, is an iconic symbol of American independence, located in Philadelphia. Originally placed in the steeple of the Pennsylvania State House, the bell today is located across the street in the Liberty Bell Center in Independence National Historical Park. The bell was commissioned in 1752 by the Pennsylvania Provincial Assembly from the London firm of Lester and Pack, and was cast with the lettering "Proclaim LIBERTY Throughout all the Land unto all the Inhabitants Thereof", a Biblical reference from the Book of Leviticus. The bell first cracked when rung after its arrival in Philadelphia, and was twice recast by local workmen John Pass and John Stow, whose last names appear on the bell. In its early years, the bell was used to summon lawmakers to legislative sessions and to alert citizens about public meetings and proclamations.
9. Independence Seaport MuseumBook Ticket*
The Independence Seaport Museum was founded in 1961 and is located in the Penn's Landing complex along the Delaware River in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The collections at the Independence Seaport Museum document maritime history and culture along the Delaware River. At the museum are two National Historic Landmark ships and the J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library.
10. Powel HouseBook Ticket*
The Powel House is a historic house museum located at 244 South 3rd Street, between Willings Alley and Spruce Street, in the Society Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Built in 1765 in the Georgian style, and embellished by second owner Samuel Powel (1738–1793), it has been called "the finest Georgian row house in the city." As with other houses of this type, the exterior facade is understated and simple, but the interior was elaborately appointed.
John Wanamaker Department Store was one of the first department stores in the United States. Founded by John Wanamaker in Philadelphia, it was influential in the development of the retail industry including as the first store to use price tags. At its zenith in the early 20th century, Wanamaker's also had a store in New York City at Broadway and Ninth Street. Both employed extremely large staffs. By the end of the 20th century, there were 16 Wanamaker's outlets, but after years of change the chain was bought by Albert Taubman, and added to his previous purchase of Woodward & Lothrop, the Washington, D. C. , department store. In 1994, Woodies, as it was known, filed for bankruptcy. The assets of Woodies were purchased by the May Company Department Stores and JCPenney. In 1995, Wanamaker's transitioned to Hecht's, one of the May Company brands. In 2006, Macy's Center City became the occupant of the former Philadelphia Wanamaker's Department Store, which is now a National Historic Landmark.
12. Chamounix Hostel
Chamounix is a historic home located in Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Federal-style house was built in 1802 by George Plumsted who was a wealthy Philadelphia merchant, then enlarged to nearly double its original size by subsequent owners after 1853. Chamounix is a 2½-story stuccoed stone dwelling measuring 45 feet long and 47 feet deep, featuring a hipped roof with dormers and a porch on three sides with decorative iron supports. The house served as a country retreat until it was appropriated by the state via eminent domain in 1869 to become a part of Fairmount Park, from which time it was used in various ways including as a boarding house, a restaurant, and a refreshment stand. After years of neglect and then fire damage, the Fairmount Park Commission decided to demolish Chamounix; however, a committee of the former American Youth Hostels successfully petitioned to save it and, since 1964, it has served as an international youth hostel.
13. Washington Grays Monument
Washington Grays Monument, also known as the Pennsylvania Volunteer, is a bronze statue by John A. Wilson. The monument represents the Washington Grays who served in the 17th, 21st and 49th Pennsylvania Militia during the American Civil War. In 1925, almost 20 years after the sculpture was made, renowned sculptor and art historian Lorado Taft wrote, "No American sculpture has surpassed the compelling power which John A. Wilson put into his steady, motionless 'Pennsylvania Volunteer'." Joseph Wilson built the base of the monument which was unveiled on April 19, 1872. Over 35 years later John Wilson sculpted the bronze statue, which was dedicated on April 18, 1908 at Washington Square, and rededicated June 14, 1991 at its present location in front of the Union League of Philadelphia, 140 South Broad Street, in Center City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The sculpture is positioned adjacent to the sculpture 1st Regiment Infantry National Guard of Philadelphia.
14. Mastery Charter School - Thomas Campus
Mastery Charter School Thomas Campus, formerly the George C. Thomas Junior High School, is a secondary charter school located in the south section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is run by Mastery Charter Schools. It is located at the intersection of 9th and Johnston Streets just north of the South Philadelphia Sports Complex. Nearby are the residential neighborhoods of Marconi Plaza, Lower Moyamensing, and Packer Park; the recreational parkland of FDR Park; and the historical and new business-development center of the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. The school is located within the boundaries of the Sports Complex Special Services District, directly on the Oregon Avenue urban corridor of small shops and restaurants anchored by larger shopping plazas on the east and west end of Oregon Avenue, and near the revitalized commercial area of Passyunk Avenue. It shares a site with the D. Newlin Fell School.
15. Dr. Joseph Leidy House
The Dr. Joseph Leidy House is a historic residence located at 1319 Locust Street between S. 13th and S. Juniper Streets in the Washington Square West neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was built in 1893-94 and was designed in the Georgian style by architect Wilson Eyre to be the home of Joseph Leidy, Jr., the nephew of Joseph Leidy (1823–1891), a noted American paleontologist with whom he is often confused. The house is next door to the Clarence B. Moore House, which was designed by Eyre in 1890. From 1925 to 1979, the Leidy House served as the clubhouse of the now-defunct Poor Richard Club, whose members worked in advertising, and with the Moore House next door, was part of the Charles Morris Price School of Advertising and Journalism. Currently, it is the headquarters of District 1199C, the National Union of Hospital and Health Care Employees.
16. Loews Philadelphia Hotel
The PSFS Building, now known as the Loews Philadelphia Hotel, is a skyscraper in Center City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. A National Historic Landmark, the building was the first International style skyscraper constructed in the United States. It was built for the Philadelphia Saving Fund Society in 1932 and was designed by architects William Lescaze and George Howe. The skyscraper's design was a departure from traditional bank and Philadelphia architecture, lacking features such as domes and ornamentation. Combining Lescaze's experience with European modernism, Howe's Beaux-Arts background and the desire of Society President James M. Wilcox for a forward-thinking, tall building the skyscraper incorporated the main characteristics of an International style architecture.
17. Roberts Vaux Junior High School
The Promise Academy at Roberts Vaux High School is a historic high school building located in the North Central neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was designed by Irwin T. Catharine and built in 1936–1938. It is a four-story, 23 bay, "U"-shaped yellow brick building in a Moderne / Art Deco-style. It features projecting end pavilions, terra cotta decorative work, and a two-story stone Tudor-arched entryway. It was named for American jurist, abolitionist, and philanthropist Roberts Vaux (1786-1836). Jacob C. White, Jr. served as principal from 1864 to 1896 and was the first black school principal in Philadelphia. During his tenure, White reformed the institute and became the leading figure in the field of urban education in Philadelphia.
18. The Rosenbach Museum & Library
The Rosenbach is a Philadelphia museum and library located within two 19th-century townhouses. The historic houses contain the collections and treasures of Philip Rosenbach and his younger brother Dr. A. S. W. Rosenbach. The brothers owned the Rosenbach Company, which became the preeminent dealer of rare books, manuscripts and decorative arts during the first half of the 20th century. Dr. Rosenbach in particular was seminal in the rare book world, helping to build libraries such as the Widener Library at Harvard, The Huntington Library and the Folger Shakespeare Library. In 2013, the Rosenbach became a subsidiary of the Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation, but maintains its own board and operates independently of the public library system.
19. Old Federal Reserve Bank Building
The Old Federal Reserve Bank Building is a historic bank building located at 925 Chestnut Street on the corner of S. 10th Street in the Market East neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The main section was designed by architect Paul Philippe Cret in the Classical Revival style influenced by the Beaux-Arts style, and was built between 1931 and 1935. It incorporated the Penn Mutual Life Insurance Building, built in 1889, with additions made in 1918 and 1925. Cret designed the formal gardens which were added in 1941 and in 1952–3, a recessed seventh story were added, designed by Harbeson, Hough, Livingston & Larson, the successor firm to Cret. The building features sculptures of the goddess Athena made by Alfred-Alphonse Bottiau.
The Edward W. Bok Technical High School was a public high school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, designed by Irwin T. Catharine and named after Edward William Bok. It was completed in February 1938 by the Public Works Administration (WPA) as a vocational high school at 8th & Mifflin Streets. As part of the Philadelphia Public Schools' Multiple Property Submission, the school was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in December, 1986. Bok High School was reorganized in 2006-2007 to prepare students for jobs in modern technology. After the 2012-2013 school year, the school was closed. In 2014, the school was renovated to become a home for over 200 businesses including restaurants, apartments, daycares, and hair salons.
21. Philadelphia Art Alliance
The Philadelphia Art Alliance at University of the Arts is a multidisciplinary arts center located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood. It is the oldest multidisciplinary arts center in the United States for visual, literary and performing arts. Founded in 1915 by theater aficionado and philanthropist Christine Wetherill Stevenson, the institution hosts art exhibits, theater and music workshops, poetry readings, lectures, concerts and recitals. The Philadelphia Art Alliance officially merged and was acquired by the University of the Arts in 2018, after unanimous approval from the boards of both institutions in 2017, and is now known as The Philadelphia Art Alliance at University of the Arts.
22. Ormiston Mansion
Ormiston Mansion is a 2+1⁄2-story, red brick, late Georgian period house located in east Fairmount Park, Philadelphia. The house was constructed in 1798 with a large wooden porch in front and a smaller porch in the rear. Many of the original interior features remain including fireplaces with marble mantles and a Scottish bake oven. The cedar shake roof includes a widow's walk and Federal-style dormers, while six large shuttered windows are on each side of the house, and five on the front. The first floor interior includes a large drawing room spanning the entire width of the house, a kitchen, and a dining room with a large door leading to the rear porch. The back of the house overlooks the Schuylkill River.
23. Ohio House
The Ohio House, or Ohio State Building, is a historic building located in west Fairmount Park, Philadelphia. The house was built from various Ohio sandstones and functioned as the Ohio state exhibit for the Centennial Exposition of 1876. The only other extant exposition structures are Memorial Hall and two small comfort stations; the building is the only extant state exhibit remaining from the exposition. The house was restored for the Bicentennial Celebration in 1976, and leased to Ohio House Partners by the Fairmount Park Historic Preservation Trust in 2006. After extensive restoration, the building was opened to the public in November 2007 and has since functioned as a cafe, event venue and offices.
24. Philadelphia High School for the Creative and Performing Arts
The Philadelphia High School for Creative and Performing Arts, commonly known as CAPA, is a magnet school in South Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at the edge of the Christian Street Historic District. It is a part of the School District of Philadelphia. Students major in one of seven areas: creative writing, instrumental music, visual arts, theater, dance, vocal music, and media, design, television & video (MDTV). Students may also minor after their freshman year as long as they meet the audition requirements. The school is located on South Broad Street, in the former Ridgway Library. Notable alumni include Boyz II Men, Questlove and Black Thought of The Roots and Leslie Odom Jr.
25. The Mann Center
The Mann Center for the Performing Arts is a nonprofit performing arts center located in the Centennial District of Philadelphia's West Fairmount Park, built in 1976 as the summer home for the Philadelphia Orchestra. It is the successor in this role to the Robin Hood Dell outdoor amphitheater, where the Philadelphia Orchestra had given summer performances since 1935. It has since hosted artists and touring companies such as the American Ballet Theatre with Mikhail Baryshnikov, Marian Anderson, Leonard Bernstein, Buena Vista Social Club, Ray Charles, Judy Garland, the Metropolitan Opera, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Paul Robeson, Itzhak Perlman, Lang, Midori, and Yo-Yo Ma.
26. Divine Lorraine Hotel
The Divine Lorraine Hotel, also known as the Lorraine Apartments, stands at the corner of Broad Street and Fairmount Avenue in North Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Designed by architect Willis G. Hale and built between 1892 and 1894, the building originally functioned as apartments, housing some of Philadelphia's wealthy residents. Lorraine Apartments was one of the most luxurious and best preserved late 19th-century apartment houses in Philadelphia. In 1900 the building became the Lorraine Hotel when the Metropolitan Hotel Company purchased the apartments. Later it would become the first hotel in Philadelphia to be racially integrated under Father Divine.
27. Saint Clement's Church
Saint Clement's Church is a historic Anglo-Catholic parish in Logan Square, Center City, Philadelphia. It is part of the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania. The church, designed by architect John Notman, was built in 1856. It originally incorporated a spire more than 200 feet (61 m) tall; this was found to be too heavy for the foundation and was removed in 1869. In 1929, the church building, which includes the parish house and rectory, and weighs 5000 tons, was lifted onto steel rollers and moved forty feet west to allow for the widening of 20th Street. On November 20, 1970, Saint Clement's Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
28. Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, formerly the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, is the oldest natural science research institution and museum in the Americas. It was founded in 1812, by many of the leading naturalists of the young American republic with an expressed mission of "the encouragement and cultivation of the sciences". It has sponsored expeditions, conducted original environmental and systematics research, and amassed natural history collections containing more than 17 million specimens. The Academy also organizes public exhibits and educational programs for both schools and the general public.
29. Rocky Steps
The 72 stone steps leading up to the entrance of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, have become known as the "Rocky Steps" as a result of a scene from the 1976 film Rocky. Tourists often mimic Rocky's famous climb, a metaphor for an underdog or an everyman rising to a challenge. A bronze Rocky statue was briefly situated at the top of the steps for the filming of Rocky III. This statue, now located at the bottom right of the steps, is a popular photo opportunity for visitors. The top of the steps offers a commanding view of Eakins Oval, the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, and Philadelphia City Hall.
30. Delaplaine McDaniel School
Delaplaine McDaniel School is a historic K-8 school located in the Point Breeze neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is part of the School District of Philadelphia. The building was designed by Irwin T. Catharine and built in 1935–1937. It is a three-story, 16 bay, yellow brick building in the Art Deco-style. It features three zigzag brick and limestone panels, brick pilasters with stepped capitals, and entrances with limestone pilasters. The school was named for the Philadelphia Quaker iron ore manufacturer and merchant Delaplaine McDaniel (1817–1885), who left funds for the establishment of the school.
31. National Marian Anderson Museum
The Marian Anderson House is a historic home located in the Southwest Center City neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Built circa 1870 in the same neighborhood where opera singer and civil rights advocate Marian Anderson was born 27 years later, this two-story, brick rowhouse dwelling was designed in the Italianate style. Purchased by Anderson in 1924, the same year she became the first African-American concert artist to record spirituals for a major American recording company, she continued to reside here until 1943. The house is currently home to the Marian Anderson Museum and Historical Society.
32. Eleanor C. Emlen Elementary School
Emlen Elementary School, formerly Eleanor Cope Emlen School of Practice, is a historic elementary school located in the Mount Airy neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is part of the School District of Philadelphia. The building was designed by Irwin T. Catharine and built in 1925–1926. It is a three-story, nine bay, brick building on a raised basement in the Late Gothic Revival-style. An auditorium addition was built in 1930. It features a central two-story bay window, stone surrounds, and a crenelated parapet. It was used as an "observation school" for teacher education and training.
33. Oaks Cloister
Oaks Cloister, is the name of the former residence of architect, Joseph Miller Huston. Constructed in 1900, the mansion is located at 5829 Wissahickon Ave,, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19141, in the Germantown section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and was the home and studio of Philadelphia-born Joseph Huston (1866-1940), architect of the Pennsylvania Capitol. The Tudor style home incorporates architectural elements and work by many capital artists. Oaks Cloister was fully restored to its original glory in 2012, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2019.
34. Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (PAFA) is a museum and private art school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was founded in 1805 and is the first and oldest art museum and art school in the United States. The academy's museum is internationally known for its collections of 19th- and 20th-century American paintings, sculptures, and works on paper. Its archives house important materials for the study of American art history, museums, and art training. It offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts, Master of Fine Arts, certificate programs, and continuing education.
35. St. George's United Methodist Church
St. George's United Methodist Church, located at the corner of 4th and New Streets, in the Old City neighborhood of Philadelphia, is the oldest Methodist church in continuous use in the United States, beginning in 1769. The congregation was founded in 1767, meeting initially in a sail loft on Dock Street, and in 1769 it purchased the shell of a building which had been erected in 1763 by a German Reformed congregation. At this time, Methodists had not yet broken away from the Anglican Church and the Methodist Episcopal Church was not founded until 1784.
36. Universal Vare Charter School
Universal Vare Charter School, formerly the Edwin H. Vare Junior High School, is a historic junior high school building located in the Wilson Park neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is currently a charter school run by Universal Family of Schools. The building was designed by Irwin T. Catharine and built in 1922–1924. It is a three-story, 17 bay, brick building on a raised basement in the Colonial Revival-style. It is in the shape of a shallow "W." It features an entrance pavilions with arched openings, pilasters, and a brick parapet.
37. Memphis Street Academy Charter School at J.P. Jones
Memphis Street Academy Charter School at J. P. Jones is a charter school located in the Port Richmond neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is located in the former John Paul Jones Junior High School building. It was designed by Irwin T. Catharine and built in 1923–1924. It is a three-story, 17-bay, brick building on a raised basement in the Colonial Revival style. It features a central projecting entrance pavilion of stone, brick pilasters, and stone cornice and brick parapet. It was named for Naval hero John Paul Jones (1747–1792).
38. Hill-Physick House
The Hill–Physick–Keith House, also known as the Hill–Keith–Physick House, the Hill–Physick House, or simply the Physick House, is a historic house museum located at 321 S. 4th Street in the Society Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Built 1786, it was the home of Philip Syng Physick (1768–1837), who has been called "the father of American surgery". The house was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976. It is now owned and operated by the Philadelphia Society for the Preservation of Landmarks as a house museum.
39. Wagner Free Institute of Science
The Wagner Free Institute of Science is a natural history museum at 1700 West Montgomery Avenue in north Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. Founded in 1855, it is a rare surviving example of a Victorian era scientific society, with a museum, research center, library, and educational facilities. Its buildings, developed between 1859 and 1901, present the collections of founder William Wagner in the style of the period, and have been designated a National Historic Landmark for their architecture and state of preservation.
40. Mastery Charter School: Hardy Williams Campus
Hardy Williams Academy, formerly the Anna Howard Shaw Junior High School is a historic junior high school building located in the Southwest Schuylkill neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The building was designed by Irwin T. Catharine and built in 1922–1924. It is a three-story, 17 bay, brick building on a raised stone basement in the Colonial Revival-style. It is in the shape of a shallow "W". It features a center projecting pavilion, stone cornice, and a brick parapet. The school was named for Anna Howard Shaw.
41. Independence Visitor Center
Independence National Historical Park is a federally protected historic district in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States that preserves several sites associated with the American Revolution and the nation's founding history. Administered by the National Park Service, the 55-acre (22 ha) park comprises many of Philadelphia's most-visited historic sites within the Old City and Society Hill neighborhoods. The park has been nicknamed "America's most historic square mile" because of its abundance of historic landmarks.
42. National Constitution Center
The National Constitution Center is a non-profit institution devoted to the Constitution of the United States. On Independence Mall in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the center is an interactive museum and a national town hall for constitutional dialogue, hosting government leaders, journalists, scholars, and celebrities for public discussions. The center offers civic learning resources onsite and online. It does not house the original Constitution, which is stored at the National Archives Building in Washington, D. C.
43. Philadelphia Zoo
The Philadelphia Zoo, located in the Centennial District of Philadelphia, on the west bank of the Schuylkill River, is the first true zoo in the United States. It was chartered by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on March 21, 1859, but its opening was delayed by the Civil War until July 1, 1874. The zoo opened with 1,000 animals and an admission price of 25 cents. For a brief time, the zoo also housed animals brought over from safari on behalf of the Smithsonian Institution, which had not yet built the National Zoo.
44. Matthew Baird Mansion
The Matthew Baird Mansion is an historic home, now apartment building, located at 814 N. Broad Street, in the Francisville neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was built in 1863–1864, and is a four-story, five bay, brownstone faced brick building with 19 rooms in a Late Victorian-style. The mansion consists of the main building, an attached three-story brick back building, and a two-story brick stable. It was built by Matthew Baird (1817–1877), one of the early partners in the Baldwin Locomotive Works.
45. Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul
The Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul, head church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia, is located at 18th Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, on the east side of Logan Square in Philadelphia. It was built between 1846 and 1864, and was designed by Napoleon LeBrun, from original plans by the Reverend Mariano Muller and the Reverend John B. Tornatore, with the dome and Palladian facade, designed by John Notman, added after 1850. The interior was largely decorated by Constantino Brumidi.
46. Merchants' Exchange Building
The Merchants' Exchange Building is a historic building located on the triangular site bounded by Dock Street, Third Street, and Walnut Street in the Old City neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was designed by architect William Strickland, in the Greek Revival style, the first national American architectural style and built between 1832 and 1834. It operated as a brokerage house in the nineteenth century, but by 1875 the Philadelphia Stock Exchange had taken the place of the Merchants' Exchange.
47. General John F. Reynolds School
Gen. John F. Reynolds School is a historic school building located in the North Central neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was designed by Irwin T. Catharine and built in 1925–1926. It is a four-story, 12-bay by 3-bay, brick building on a raised basement in the Art Deco-style. It has a one-story addition on the eastern side built in 1958. It features an entrance with Doric order columns and decorative terra cotta panels. It was named for Civil War General John F. Reynolds (1820–1863).
48. Smyser and English Pharmacy
Smyser and English Pharmacy, also known as Leedom & Wissler Pharmacy, is a historic pharmacy building located in the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was built in 1886–1887, and is a three-story, three bay rectangular brick building in the Queen Anne-style. It had a ground floor pharmacy, with offices and residences above. It features an ornamental cornice and terra cotta decorative details. The interior features ornate tiled fireplaces. It housed a pharmacy until 1997.
49. Turtle Rock Light
The Lighthouse on Turtle Rock is a lighthouse built in 1887 to aid traffic on the Schuylkill River near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The lighthouse was constructed by Frank Thurwanger at a cost of $2,663 on an area of land just west of Boathouse Row. The lighthouse has a hexagonal lantern room with an octagonal walkway. Gas was first used to power the light, but in 1990, when the lighthouse was repainted and received a new wooden balustrade and newel posts, the beacon was electrified.
50. Irvine Auditorium
Irvine Auditorium is a performance venue at 3401 Spruce Street on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia. It was designed by the firm of prominent Philadelphia area architect Horace Trumbauer and built 1926–1932. Irvine Auditorium is notable for its nearly 11,000-pipe Curtis Organ, the world's 22nd-largest pipe organ, originally built for the Sesquicentennial Exposition of 1926 and donated to the university in 1928. The building was opened in May, 1929.
51. Catholic Total Abstinence Union Fountain
The Catholic Total Abstinence Union Fountain (1874–77) – also known as The Catholic Total Abstinence Centennial Fountain or The Centennial Fountain – is a now defunct ornamental fountain and drinking fountain located in West Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Created as an attraction for the 1876 Centennial Exposition, it was commissioned by the Catholic Total Abstinence Union of America, a religious organization that advocated for total abstinence from alcohol.
52. Gloria Dei Church
Gloria Dei Church, known locally as Old Swedes', is a historic church located in the Southwark neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at 929 South Water Street, bounded by Christian Street on the north, South Christopher Columbus Boulevard on the east, and Washington Avenue on the south. It was built between 1698 and 1700, making it the oldest church in Pennsylvania and second oldest Swedish church in the United States after Holy Trinity Church in Wilmington, Delaware.
53. St. Malachy Catholic School
William Henry Harrison School is a historic school building located in the Yorktown neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was designed by architect Irwin T. Catharine (1883–1944) and built in 1928–1929. It is a three-story brick building, nine bays wide on a raised basement in the Late Gothic Revival-style. It features a one-story, stone entrance pavilion with a Tudor-arched opening and a crenellated parapet. It is named for President William Henry Harrison.
54. The U School
Joseph C. Ferguson School is a historic school building located in the Cecil B. Moore neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was designed by Irwin T. Catharine and built in 1921–1922. It is a three-story, nine bay, U-shaped brick building on a raised basement, in the Colonial Revival-style. It features large stone arches, a double stone cornice, and brick parapet. The school is named after Joseph C. Ferguson a judge that was apart of Philadelphia orphan court.
55. Philly AIDS Thrift @ Giovanni's Room
Giovanni's Room Bookstore is a gay bookstore in Philadelphia. It is the oldest gay bookstore in the United States still operating and has been called the "center of gay Philly". Founded in 1973 in Philadelphia, Giovanni's Room Bookstore is named after James Baldwin's gay novel Giovanni's Room. Philly AIDS Thrift took over the store after the owner retired in 2014 and the bookstore is now called Philly AIDS Thrift at Giovanni's Room, also known as PAT @ Giovanni's Room.
56. Richmond School
Richmond Elementary School is a historic elementary school located in the Port Richmond neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is part of the School District of Philadelphia. The building was designed by Irwin T. Catharine and built in 1928–1929. It is a three-story, nine-bay, brick building on a raised basement in the Late Gothic Revival style. It features a projecting stone entryway with Tudor arch, stone beltcourse and cornice, and a crenellated parapet.
57. Congress Hall
Congress Hall, located in Philadelphia at the intersection of Chestnut and 6th Streets, served as the seat of the United States Congress from December 6, 1790, to May 14, 1800. During Congress Hall's duration as the capitol of the United States, the country admitted three new states, Vermont, Kentucky, and Tennessee; ratified the Bill of Rights of the United States Constitution; and oversaw the presidential inaugurations of both George Washington and John Adams.
58. Clarence B. Moore House
The Clarence B. Moore House is a historic home located at 1321 Locust Street at the corner of S. Juniper Street between S. 13th and S. Broad Streets in the Washington Square West neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Moore house was built in 1890 and was designed by architect Wilson Eyre as the home of the merchant, archaeologist, and writer Clarence Bloomfield Moore (1852-1936). It sits next to the Dr. Joseph Leidy House, which Eyre designed in 1893.
59. Benjamin Chew House
Cliveden, also known as the Chew House, is a historic site owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, located in the Mt. Airy neighborhood of Northwest Philadelphia. Built as a country house for attorney Benjamin Chew, Cliveden was completed in 1767 and was home to seven generations of the Chew family. Cliveden has long been famous as the site of the American Revolutionary War's Battle of Germantown in 1777 as well as for its Georgian architecture.
60. Boelson Cottage
Boelson Cottage is a Dutch and Swedish-style colonial era cottage located in Fairmount Park, Philadelphia. The 1+1⁄2-story gambrel-roofed fieldstone cottage was built sometime between 1678 and 1684. The cottage is situated on the west bank of the Schuylkill River within a plot of 100 acres (40 ha) of land granted to John Boelson in 1677 by the Swedish colonial court in Upland, Pennsylvania. Boelson's cottage is the oldest extant structure in Fairmount Park.
61. Smith Memorial Arch
Smith Memorial Arch is an American Civil War monument at South Concourse and Lansdowne Drive in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Built on the former grounds of the 1876 Centennial Exposition, it serves as a gateway to West Fairmount Park. The Memorial consists of two colossal columns supported by curving, neo-Baroque arches, and adorned with 13 individual portrait sculptures ; two eagles standing on globes; and architectural reliefs of 8 allegorical figures.
62. The Lofts at 1835 Arch
The Bell Telephone Company Building is a historic 17 story skyscraper located at 1835 Arch Street in the Logan Square neighborhood on the edge of downtown Philadelphia, Pennsylvania which was used as a long distance telephone exchange by the Bell Telephone Company. Its construction in 1925 marked the beginning of the era of long distance trunk lines in telephone communication. The building was listed by the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
63. St. Peter's Church
St. Peter's Church is a historic Episcopal church located on the corner of Third and Pine Streets in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It opened for worship on September 4, 1761 and served as a place of worship for many of the United States Founding Fathers during the period of the Continental Congresses. The building was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1996. The church remains an active parish; the current rector is the Rev. Claire Nevin-Field.
64. F. Amedee Bregy Elementary School
F. Amadee Bregy School is a historic school located in the Marconi Plaza neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is part of the School District of Philadelphia. The building was designed by Irwin T. Catharine and built in 1923–1924. It is a three-story, nine bay, brick building on a raised basement in the Colonial Revival-style. It features large stone arched surrounds, double stone cornice, projecting entrance pavilion, and a brick parapet.
65. The John Coltrane House
The John Coltrane House is a historic house at 1511 North 33rd Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. A National Historic Landmark, it was the home of American saxophonist and jazz pioneer John Coltrane from 1952 until 1958. On his death in 1967 the house passed to his cousin, who sold it in 2004. Efforts for restoration and reuse as a jazz venue are struggling. In 2022, two of Coltrane's sons filed a lawsuit contesting the ownership of the home.
66. Library Hall
Library Hall in Carpentersville, Illinois, also known as Administration Building, Dundee Township Park District, is a Romanesque architecture style building built during 1895–1897. It was built as a memorial to Julius Angelo Carpenter, donor of the Union Congregational Church and Parsonage in Carpenterville. It was individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Also it is included in Dundee Township Historic District.
67. Hajoca Corporation Headquarters and Showroom
Hajoca Corporation Headquarters and Showroom is a historic commercial building located in the University City neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The original section was built in 1921, and expanded in 1930. It is a two-story, flat roofed building in the Art Deco style. It is clad in limestone and features decorative brickwork. The building houses WXPN radio and the World Cafe Live, a live music venue dedicated to showcasing live music.
68. Eastern State Penitentiary
The Eastern State Penitentiary (ESP) is a former American prison in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is located at 2027 Fairmount Avenue between Corinthian Avenue and North 22nd Street in the Fairmount section of the city, and was operational from 1829 until 1971. The penitentiary refined the revolutionary system of separate incarceration first pioneered at the Walnut Street Jail which emphasized principles of reform rather than punishment.
69. Barnes Foundation
The Barnes Foundation is an art collection and educational institution promoting the appreciation of art and horticulture. Originally in Merion, the art collection moved in 2012 to a new building on Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The arboretum of the Barnes Foundation remains in Merion, where it has been proposed to be maintained under a long-term educational affiliation agreement with Saint Joseph's University.
70. Robert Fulton Elementary School
Robert Fulton School is a historic school building located in the Morton neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was designed by Irwin T. Catharine and built in 1935–1937. It is a three-story, brick and limestone building in the Moderne-style. It features ribbon bands of windows, large brick piers, a main entrance tower, and historical figures holding lamps of enlightenment and knowledge. It was named for inventor Robert Fulton.
71. Michael Billmeyer House
The Michael Billmeyer House, aka the Bensell-Billmeyer House, is a historic twin house in the Mount Airy section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was built around 1730 by John George Bensell. Michael Billmeyer, the noted printer of Germantown, purchased it in 1789. It is said that from this point, General George Washington directed the Continental forces in the Battle of Germantown against the British stronghold at Cliveden.
72. John Greenleaf Whittier School
John Greenleaf Whittier School is a historic school building located in the Allegheny West neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was designed by architect Henry deCourcy Richards and built in 1913. It is a three-story, brick-faced reinforced concrete building, five bays wide with terra cotta trim. It has a Classical Revival-style entrance surround with entablature. It is named for John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892).
73. Mount Pleasant
Mount Pleasant is a historic mansion in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, atop cliffs overlooking the Schuylkill River. It was built about 1761–62 in what was then the countryside outside the city by John Macpherson and his wife Margaret. Macpherson was a privateer, or perhaps a pirate, who had "an arm twice shot off" according to John Adams. He named the house "Clunie" after the ancient seat of his family's clan in Scotland.
74. High Road School of Philadelphia
Simon Muhr Work Training School is a historic school building located in the Nicetown–Tioga neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was built in 1899, and is a three-story, three bay, stone building on a raised basement in the Gothic-style. It features a central projecting bay with stepped gable and battlement-like motif. It was named for Simon Muhr, who bequeathed money for public education in Philadelphia.
75. Kensington High School
Kensington High School is a historic high school located in the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is part of the School District of Philadelphia. The building was designed by Henry deCourcy Richards and built in 1916–1917. It is a 3+1⁄2-story, nine-bay by seven-bay, brick building on a raised basement in the Tudor Revival style. It features limestone sills and lintels and a brick parapet.
76. General Electric Switchgear Plant
The General Electric Switchgear Plant is a historic factory building located at 421 North 7th Street at Willow Street in the Callowhill neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was built in 1916, and is a seven-story, seven bay by nine bay, reinforced concrete building with brick facing. It was designed by William Steele & Company for General Electric, which manufactured electric switchboard equipment there.
77. Franklin Institute
The Franklin Institute is a science museum and the center of science education and research in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is named after the American scientist and statesman Benjamin Franklin. It houses the Benjamin Franklin National Memorial. Founded in 1824, the Franklin Institute is one of the oldest centers of science education and development in the United States. Its chief astronomer is Derrick Pitts.
78. Congregation Rodeph Shalom
Congregation Rodeph Shalom of Philadelphia, founded in 1795, is the oldest Ashkenazic synagogue in the Western Hemisphere. It is noted historically for its leadership of the Reform Judaism among American Hebrew congregations, for its spiritual influence upon international Jewry, and for its unique 1927 Moorish Revival building on North Broad Street, on the National Register of Historic Places for many decades.
79. Sparks Shot Tower
The Sparks Shot Tower is a historic shot tower located at 129-131 Carpenter Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Opened on July 4, 1808, it was one of the first shot towers in the United States, with the Jackson Ferry Shot Tower in Wythe County, Virginia possibly predating it by a year or so. It was built near the Delaware River waterfront at Front and Carpenter Streets, just west of Gloria Dei Church.
80. Alternative Middle Years at James Martin School
Alternative Middle Years at James Martin School is a historic middle school located in the Port Richmond neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is part of the School District of Philadelphia. The building was built in 1894–1896, and expanded in 1922. It is a three-story, five-bay, stone building on a raised basement in the Romanesque style. It features portholes above the central three bays.
81. Saint Mary's Church
St. Mary’s Church, Hamilton Village, is an Episcopal Church located on the University of Pennsylvania campus in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It calls itself the Episcopal Church at Penn to emphasize its campus ministry. The parish is part of the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Pennsylvania. In 2020, it reported 225 members, 51 average attendance, and plate and pledge financial support of $95,097.
82. The Thinker
The Thinker is a bronze sculpture by Auguste Rodin, usually placed on a stone pedestal. The work depicts a nude male figure of heroic size sitting on a rock. He is seen leaning over, his right elbow placed on his left thigh, holding the weight of his chin on the back of his right hand. The pose is one of deep thought and contemplation, and the statue is often used as an image to represent philosophy.
83. Mütter Museum
The Mütter Museum is a medical museum located in the Center City area of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It contains a collection of anatomical and pathological specimens, wax models, and antique medical equipment. The museum is part of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The original purpose of the collection, donated by Dr. Thomas Dent Mutter in 1858, was for biomedical research and education.
84. William S. Peirce School
William S. Peirce School is a historic school building located in the Southwest Center City neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was designed by Irwin T. Catharine and built in 1928–1929. It is a four-story, nine bay, brick building on a raised basement in the Late Gothic Revival-style. It features pilasters with limestone caps and a projecting entrance pavilion with an arched opening.
85. USS Olympia
USS Olympia (C-6/CA-15/CL-15/IX-40) is a protected cruiser that saw service in the United States Navy from her commissioning in 1895 until 1922. This vessel became famous as the flagship of Commodore George Dewey at the Battle of Manila Bay during the Spanish–American War in 1898. The ship was decommissioned after returning to the U. S. in 1899, but was returned to active service in 1902.
86. John Johnson House
The John Johnson House is a National Historic Landmark in the Germantown section of Philadelphia, significant for its role in the antislavery movement and the Underground Railroad. It is located at 6306 Germantown Avenue and is a contributing property of the Colonial Germantown Historic District, which is also a National Historic Landmark. It is operated today as a museum open to the public.
87. Boathouse Row
Boathouse Row is a historic site located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on the east bank of the Schuylkill River just north of the Fairmount Water Works and the Philadelphia Museum of Art. It consists of a row of 15 boathouses housing social and rowing clubs and their racing shells. Each of the boathouses has its own history, and all have addresses on both Boathouse Row and Kelly Drive.
88. Dickens and Little Nell
Dickens and Little Nell is a bronze sculpture by Francis Edwin Elwell that stands in Clark Park in the Spruce Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia. The sculpture depicts the 19th-century British author Charles Dickens and Nell Trent, a character from his 1840–41 novel The Old Curiosity Shop. The grouping was one of the most celebrated American sculptural works of the late 19th century.
89. Internal Revenue Service
United States Post Office-Main Branch is a historic post office building located in the University City neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is located across from Amtrak's 30th Street Station. It was built between 1931 and 1935, and is a six-story, steel frame building clad in limestone in the Art Deco-style. It measures 386 feet (118 m) wide and 455 feet (139 m) long.
90. Theater of Living Arts
The Theatre of Living Arts is a concert venue located on South Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The venue, which opened in 1988, dates back to the early 1900s as a nickelodeon. Over the years, the venue has seen many incarnations ranging from concert hall to movie theatre to theatre. Known for its acoustics, it was voted as one of the best concert venues in America by Complex.
91. USS New Jersey
USS New Jersey (BB-62) is an Iowa-class battleship, and was the second ship of the United States Navy to be named after the US state of New Jersey. She was often referred to fondly as "Big J". New Jersey earned more battle stars for combat actions than the other three completed Iowa-class battleships, and was the only US battleship providing gunfire support during the Vietnam War.
92. St. John the Evangelist Church
St. John the Evangelist Church is a parish of the Roman Catholic Church in Center City, Philadelphia, within the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. From 1838 to 1864 it served as the cathedral for the diocese. The historic Gothic Revival parish church, completed in 1832, is located just south of Market Street on 13th Street, a little more than a block from Philadelphia City Hall.
93. D. Newlin Fell School
D. Newlin Fell School is a public elementary school located in the East Oregon neighborhood of South Philadelphia. It is part of the School District of Philadelphia, and shares a site with the George C. Thomas Junior High School. It was named in honor of D. Newlin Fell, who served as a Justice of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court from 1894 to 1910 and Chief Justice until 1915.
94. The Chandler School Apartments
George Chandler School is a historic school building located in the Fishtown neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was designed by Henry deCourcy Richards and built in 1907–1908. It is a 2+1⁄2-story, "U"-shaped, brick building with a raised basement in the Colonial Revival / Late Gothic Revival-style. It features stone trim and three large arched openings.
95. Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site
The Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site is a preserved home once rented by American author Edgar Allan Poe, located at 532 N. 7th Street, in the Spring Garden neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Though Poe lived in many houses over several years in Philadelphia, it is the only one which still survives. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1962.
96. USS Becuna
USS Becuna (SS/AGSS-319), a Balao-class submarine, is a former ship of the United States Navy named for the becuna, a pike-like fish of Europe. She was designated a National Historic Landmark for her service in World War II, for which she earned four battle stars. She presently serves as a museum ship at the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
97. Edwin Forrest House
The Edwin Forrest House is a historic house and arts building at 1346 North Broad Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Built in 1853–54, it was from 1880 until 1960 home to the Philadelphia School of Design for Women, at one time one of the nation's largest art schools for women. The house was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1993 for this association.
98. Arch Street Friends Meetinghouse
The Arch Street Friends Meeting House, at 320 Arch Street at the corner of 4th Street in the Old City neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is a Meeting House of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). Built to reflect Friends’ testimonies of simplicity and equality, this building is little changed after more than two centuries of continuous use.
99. Wyck House
The Wyck house, also known as the Haines house or Hans Millan house, is a historic mansion, museum, garden, and urban farm in the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was recognized as a National Historic Landmark in 1971 for its well-preserved condition and its documentary records, which span nine generations of a single family.
100. Rodin Museum
The Rodin Museum is an art museum located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania that contains one of the largest collections of sculptor Auguste Rodin's works outside Paris. Opened in 1929, the museum is administered by the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The museum houses a collection of nearly 150 objects containing bronzes, marbles, and plasters by Rodin.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.