Explore interesting sights in Franklin County, United States. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 6 sights are available in Franklin County, United States.
1. Marmes Rockshelter
The Marmes Rockshelter is an archaeological site first excavated in 1962, near Lyons Ferry Park and the confluence of the Snake and Palouse Rivers, in Franklin County, southeastern Washington. This rockshelter is remarkable in the level of preservation of organic materials, the depth of stratified deposits, and the apparent age of the associated Native American human remains. The site was discovered on the property of Roland Marmes, and was the site of the oldest human remains in North America at that time. In 1966, the site became, along with Chinook Point and the American and English Camps on San Juan Island, the first National Historic Landmarks listed in Washington. In 1969, the site was submerged in water when a levee protecting it from waters rising behind the then newly constructed Lower Monumental Dam, which was 20 miles (32 km) down the Snake River, failed to hold back water that leaked into the protected area through gravel under the soil, creating Lake Herbert G. West.
2. Bear River Massacre Site
Bear River Massacre Site, near Preston, Idaho, is the site of the Bear River Massacre, in which a village of Shoshone Native Americans were attacked by the California Volunteers on January 29, 1863. Estimates of Shoshone casualties are as high as 384. It is also known as Bear River Battleground or Massacre at Boa Ogoi. The incident has one of the highest recorded casualty counts of the American Indian Wars of the 19th century, but was overshadowed at the time by events of the ongoing American Civil War. The site was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1990.
3. Stockheughter Covered Bridge
Stockheughter Covered Bridge, also known as Enochsburg Covered Bridge and County Bridge number 73, is a historic Howe Truss covered bridge located in Ray Township, Franklin County, Indiana. The bridge was built in 1891, and measures 101 feet, 10 inches, long, 13 feet high, and 13 feet wide. It has a gable roof and the exterior is clad in board and natten siding.
4. Crooked River Lighthouse
The Crooked River Light, also known as the Carrabelle Light, was built in 1895 to replace the Dog Island Light on Dog Island, which had been destroyed in 1875 by a hurricane. The location on the mainland allowed the light to serve as the rear range light for the channel to the west of Dog Island, used by ships in the lumber trade.
5. Snow Hill Covered Bridge
Snow Hill Covered Bridge, also known as Johnson Fork Covered Bridge, is a historic Howe Truss covered bridge located in Whitewater Township, Franklin County, Indiana. The bridge was built in 1895, and measures 75 feet long. It has a gable roof, is clad in board and natten siding, and has an open clerestory.
6. Switzer Covered Bridge
The Switzer Covered Bridge, located off Rocky Branch Rd., over North Elkhorn Creek, in or near Switzer, Kentucky, was built around 1855. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.