34 Sights in Leeds, United Kingdom (with Map and Images)
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Leeds:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Explore interesting sights in Leeds, United Kingdom. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 34 sights are available in Leeds, United Kingdom.List of cities in United KingdomSightseeing Tours in Leeds
1. St Augustine of Hippo Church
St Augustine's Church, Wrangthorn, usually referred to as simply Wrangthorn, is the church of the parish of Woodhouse and Wrangthorn, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It is near Hyde Park Corner at the top of Woodhouse Moor. It shares a benefice and clergy with St George's Church in the city centre, although the parishes remain separate. It was paid for by the Leeds Church Extension Society in 1866 and completed in 1871. The church, which is a Grade II listed building is on a ridge of land between Meanwood Beck and the Aire Valley, on the north-west side of the city. Its architect, James Barlow Fraser (1835–1922), took advantage of this prominent location by including a three-stage pointed steeple; its blackened stone is a local landmark. The church is built in local gritstone ashlar in the Gothic Revival style and is adjoined by the smaller church hall of 1934.
2. Leeds Art Gallery
Leeds Art Gallery in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, is a gallery, part of the Leeds Museums & Galleries group, whose collection of 20th-century British Art was designated by the British government in 1997 as a collection "of national importance". Its collection also includes 19th-century and earlier art works. It is a grade II listed building owned and administered by Leeds City Council, linked on the West to Leeds Central Library and on the East via a bridge to the Henry Moore Institute with which it shares some sculptures. A Henry Moore sculpture, Reclining Woman: Elbow (1981), stands in front of the entrance. The entrance hall contains Leeds' oldest civic sculpture, a 1712 marble statue of Queen Anne.
3. St. Mary's Chapel Lead
St Mary's Church, Lead, is a redundant Anglican chapel standing in an isolated position in fields some 0.75 miles (1.2 km) to the west of the village of Saxton, North Yorkshire, England. Though technically a chapel, it is generally referred to as a church. It is managed by The Churches Conservation Trust, and is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building. The chapel stands close to the site of the battle of Towton of 1461, which was part of the Wars of the Roses. In the 1930s it was saved from neglect by a local group of ramblers, and is known locally as the Ramblers' Church.
4. Minster Church of St-Peter-at-Leeds
Leeds Minster, or the Minster and Parish Church of Saint Peter-at-Leeds is the minster church of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It stands on the site of the oldest church in the city and is of architectural and liturgical significance. A church is recorded on the site as early as the 7th century, although the present structure is a Gothic Revival one, designed by Robert Dennis Chantrell and completed in 1841. It is dedicated to Saint Peter and was the Parish Church of Leeds before receiving the honorific title of "Minster" in 2012. It has been designated a Grade I listed building by Historic England.
5. Royal Armouries
The Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, is a national museum which displays the National Collection of Arms and Armour. It is part of the Royal Armouries family of museums, with other sites at the Royal Armouries' traditional home in the Tower of London, and the National Collection of Artillery at Fort Nelson, Hampshire. The Frazier History Museum in Louisville, Kentucky, USA also previously housed a collection of artifacts on loan from the Royal Armouries. The Royal Armouries is a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
6. Saint John the Baptist Church
The Grade I listed, mainly Norman Church of Saint John the Baptist in Adel, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England has been described by Nicholas Pevsner as 'one of the best and most complete Norman churches in Yorkshire'. It is most notable for its magnificent south doorway with surrounding carvings, and highly carved Norman chancel arch. There is also a replica of a 13th-century sanctuary ring on the exterior of the south door, the original having unfortunately been stolen in 2002. The church is an active Anglican parish church in the archdeaconry of Leeds and the Diocese of Leeds.
7. St Anne's Cathedral
Leeds Cathedral, formally the Cathedral Church of St Anne, commonly known as Saint Anne's Cathedral, is the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Leeds, and is the seat of the Roman Catholic Bishop of Leeds. It is in the city of Leeds, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom. The city of Leeds does not have a Church of England cathedral although it is in the Anglican Diocese of Leeds. The cathedrals of the diocese are in Ripon, Wakefield and Bradford. The city instead has a Minster which is similar to nearby Dewsbury Minster and Halifax Minster, all of which are parish churches.
8. Woodhouse Moor Park
Woodhouse Moor is an open space approximately one mile (1.6 km) from Leeds city centre, West Yorkshire, England. Today it consists of 3 parts: a formal park, Woodhouse Moor, of around 26 hectares in area on the west of Woodhouse Lane, and two other open areas on the east of it. These are known as the Monument and Cinder Moors which are used for events such as circuses and sporting matches, and sometimes car parking. Woodhouse Moor is north-west of Leeds city centre and is bounded by Woodhouse, the University of Leeds, Burley, Hyde Park, and Headingley.
9. Tropical World
Roundhay Park in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, is one of the biggest city parks in Europe. It covers more than 700 acres (2.8 km2) of parkland, lakes, woodland and gardens which are owned by Leeds City Council. The park is one of the most popular attractions in Leeds; nearly a million people visit each year. It is situated on the north-east edge of the city, bordered by the suburb of Roundhay to the west, Oakwood to the south and the A6120 outer ring road to the north.
10. Temple Works
Temple Works is a former flax mill in Holbeck, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It was designed by the engineer James Coombe a former pupil of John Rennie; the painter David Roberts; and the architect Joseph Bonomi the Younger. It was built in the Egyptian Revival style for the industrialist John Marshall between 1836 and 1840 to contain a 240 horsepower double-beam engine by Benjamin Hick. Temple Works is the only Grade I listed building in Holbeck.
11. Leeds Rifles War Memorial
The Leeds Rifles War Memorial is a First World War memorial outside Leeds Minster on Kirkgate in Leeds, West Yorkshire in northern England. The memorial was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, one of 15 instances of his War Cross and the only one commissioned by a regiment. The memorial, dedicated to members of the Leeds Rifles who fell in the First World War, was unveiled on Remembrance Sunday, 13 November 1921, and is today a grade II listed building.
12. Thwaite Mills Watermill
Thwaite Mills is an industrial museum in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It is a fully restored working water-powered mill built in 1823-25, harnessing the power of the River Aire, and claims to be "one of the best last remaining examples of a water-powered mill in Britain". It is administered by Leeds City Council through Leeds Museums & Galleries. The mill, the manager's house and three associated buildings are all grade II listed buildings.
13. Saint Ricarius Parish Church
The Church of St Ricarius, Aberford, West Yorkshire, England, is an active Anglican parish church in the archdeaconry of York and the Diocese of Leeds. It is commonly stated that the dedication refers to the French saint St Richarius or Riquier who is supposed to have visited Aberford in 630. However, the church itself has a stained glass window depicting "Ricarius Rex 720" the Saxon King also known as St Richard the Pilgrim.
14. Headingley Hill Congregational Church
Headingley Hill Congregational Church is a redundant Unitarian church at the corner of Headingley Lane and Cumberland Road, in the Headingley area of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. The church, which is a Grade II listed building, was designed in the Gothic Revival style by Cuthbert Brodrick and completed in 1866. It was the only church to have been designed by Brodrick, who is noted for Leeds Town Hall and the Corn Exchange.
15. Saint John the Evangelist's Church
St John the Evangelist's Church is a redundant Anglican church in the centre of the city of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. The architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner refers to it as "the only church at Leeds of more than local interest".
16. Fulneck Moravian Church
Fulneck Moravian Church and its associated settlement were established on the Fulneck estate, Pudsey, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, in 1744 by Count Nicolaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf, a Moravian Bishop and Lutheran priest, following a donation of land by the evangelical Anglican clergyman, Benjamin Ingham. Fulneck is now part of the City of Leeds, West Yorkshire.
17. St Edward, King & Confessor
Saint Edward King and Confessor Church is a Roman Catholic church in Clifford, West Yorkshire. The church is the largest in Clifford and its tall tower is the most prominent structure in the area. The church is a grade II Listed building and serves Clifford and the surrounding villages. The church lies in the Roman Catholic diocese of Leeds and deanery of Harrogate.
Wikipedia: St Edward King and Confessor Catholic Church, Clifford (EN)
18. Harewood House & Gardens
Harewood House is a country house in Harewood, West Yorkshire, England. Designed by architects John Carr and Robert Adam, it was built, between 1759 and 1771, for Edwin Lascelles, 1st Baron Harewood, a wealthy West Indian plantation and slave-owner. The landscape was designed by Lancelot "Capability" Brown and spans 1,000 acres (400 ha) at Harewood.
19. War Memorial
Leeds War Memorial stands on Victoria Square on the Headrow, to the east of Town Hall and to the south of Leeds City Art Gallery in Leeds, England. It was erected as a memorial to those who had fallen in the First World War. The memorial was designed by Henry Charles Fehr (1867–1940) and unveiled on 14 October 1922 by Viscount Lascelles.
20. Mill Hill Unitarian Chapel
Mill Hill Chapel is a Unitarian church in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It is a member of the General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches, the umbrella organisation for British Unitarians. The building, which stands in the centre of the city on City Square, was granted Grade II* listed status in 1963.
21. St George's Church
St George's Church, Leeds is a Church of England parish church based in the centre of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. The church building is near to Leeds General Infirmary. Although based in the city centre, the congregation is drawn from all parts of the city, including a large student congregation.
22. Abbey House Museum
Abbey House Museum in Kirkstall, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England is housed in the gatehouse of the ruined 12th-century Kirkstall Abbey, and is a Grade II* listed building. The house is 3 miles (4.8 km) north west of Leeds city centre on the A65 road. It is part of the Leeds Museums & Galleries group.
23. Leeds Playhouse
Leeds Playhouse is a theatre in the city centre of Leeds, West Yorkshire. Having originally opened in 1970 in a different location in Leeds, it reopened as West Yorkshire Playhouse, on Quarry Hill, in March 1990. After a refurbishment in 2018-2019, it reverted to its original name; Leeds Playhouse.
24. Christ Church
Christ Church in Armley, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England is an active Anglican parish church in the archdeaconry of Leeds and the Diocese of Leeds. The church is one of two Church of England churches in Armley; the other being the larger St. Batholomew's Church. It is a Grade II listed building.
25. Leeds O2 Academy
The O2 Academy Leeds (formerly known as the Town and Country Club) is a music venue situated in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It is run by the Academy Music Group, which has other music venues around the UK. The Academy was nominated for the TPi Awards 2010 for the country's favourite venue.
26. Kirkstall Abbey (Ruins)
Kirkstall Abbey is a ruined Cistercian monastery in Kirkstall, north-west of Leeds city centre in West Yorkshire, England. It is set in a public park on the north bank of the River Aire. It was founded c. 1152. It was disestablished during the Dissolution of the Monasteries under Henry VIII.
27. Leeds Museums Discovery Centre
Leeds Discovery Centre is the purpose-built display storage facility built for Leeds Museums & Galleries in 2007. It was funded by Leeds City Council and the National Lottery Heritage Fund. The facility stores over one million objects in climate-controlled conditions and hosts regular tours.
28. Park Square
Park Square is a Georgian public square in central Leeds, West Yorkshire. The square is grassed over and is a traditional Georgian park. The square is in Leeds' financial quarter and is surrounded by Georgian buildings, which are occupied as offices, many by barristers and solicitors.
29. Leeds City Museum
Leeds City Museum, originally established in 1819, reopened in 2008 in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It is housed in the former Mechanics' Institute built by Cuthbert Brodrick, in Cookridge Street. It is one of nine sites in the Leeds Museums & Galleries group.
30. Leeds Industrial Museum
The Leeds Industrial Museum at Armley Mills is a museum of industrial heritage located in Armley, near Leeds, in West Yorkshire, Northern England. The museum includes collections of textile machinery, railway equipment and heavy engineering amongst others.
Wikipedia: Leeds Industrial Museum at Armley Mills (EN), Website
31. St Michael and All Angels' Church
Headingley Parish Church or the Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels in Headingley, a suburban area of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England is a large Victorian Church of England parish church in the centre of the parish on Otley Road.
Wikipedia: St Michael and All Angels Church, Headingley (EN), Website
32. Middleton Railway
The Middleton Railway is the world's oldest continuously working railway, situated in the English city of Leeds. It was founded in 1758 and is now a heritage railway, run by volunteers from The Middleton Railway Trust Ltd. since 1960.
33. St Matthew's Church, Chapel Allerton
St Matthew's Church is a Church of England church in Chapel Allerton, Leeds described by Nikolaus Pevsner as a "noble and spacious building" with a "bold, sturdy tower". The church has been Grade II* listed since 23 September 1963.
34. All Souls' Church
All Souls' Church, Blackman Lane, in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England is a large Victorian Church of England parish church. Worship at All Souls is in the Anglo-Catholic tradition of the Church of England.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.