44 Sights in Glasgow, United Kingdom (with Map and Images)
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Glasgow:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Here you can book free guided walking tours in Glasgow:Guided Free Walking Tours on GuruWalk*
Explore interesting sights in Glasgow, United Kingdom. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 44 sights are available in Glasgow, United Kingdom.List of cities in United Kingdom Sightseeing Tours in Glasgow
1. Glasgow CathedralBook Free Tour*
Glasgow Cathedral is a parish church of the Church of Scotland in Glasgow, Scotland. It is the oldest cathedral in mainland Scotland and the oldest building in Glasgow. The cathedral was the seat of the Archbishop of Glasgow, and the mother church of the Archdiocese of Glasgow and the Province of Glasgow, until the Scottish Reformation in the 16th century. Glasgow Cathedral and St Magnus Cathedral in Orkney are the only medieval cathedrals in Scotland to have survived the Reformation virtually intact. The medieval Bishop's Castle stood to the west of the cathedral until the 18th century.
2. Kelvin Hall
The Kelvin Hall, located on Argyle Street in Glasgow, Scotland, is one of the largest exhibition centres in Britain and now a mixed-use arts and sports venue that opened as an exhibition venue in 1927. It has also been used as a concert hall, home to the Kelvin Hall International Sports Arena to 2014, and from 1988 to 2010, Glasgow's Museum of Transport. As part of the economic redevelopment of Greater Glasgow promoted by the Scottish Development Agency and local authorities to enhance the city's tourist infrastructure and to attract further national and international conferences, the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre was designed as the Hall's successor for exhibitions and entertainments, built and opened on the nearby Queen's Dock in 1985 with an exhibition area equal in size to the Kelvin Hall but with the benefit of extensive car parks and land for other complementary buildings. The Hall is protected as a category B listed building, and is served by city bus services and by Kelvinhall subway station.
3. Theatre Royal
The Theatre Royal is the oldest theatre in Glasgow and the longest running in Scotland. Located at 282 Hope Street, its front door was originally round the corner in Cowcaddens Street. It currently accommodates 1,541 people and is owned by Scottish Opera. The theatre opened in 1867, adopting the name Theatre Royal two years later. It is also the birthplace of Howard & Wyndham Ltd, owners and managers of theatres in Scotland and England until the 1970s, created by its chairman Baillie Michael Simons in 1895. It was Simons who as a cultural entrepreneur of his day also promoted the building of Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and Glasgow's International Exhibitions of 1888 and 1901.
4. The King's Theatre
The King's Theatre is located in Glasgow, Scotland. It was built for Howard & Wyndham Ltd under its chairman Baillie Michael Simons as a sister theatre of their Theatre Royal in the city and was designed by Frank Matcham, opening in 1904. The theatre is primarily a receiving house for touring musicals, dance, comedy and circus-type performances. The theatre also provides a prominent stage for local amateur productions. The King's Theatre also stages an annual pantomime, produced by First Family Entertainment. The theatre is currently operated by the Ambassador Theatre Group, under a lease from Glasgow City Council who own the building.
5. St George's Tron Parish Church
The St George's Tron Church, in Glasgow, Scotland, is a Church of Scotland church in the city centre, located in Nelson Mandela Place, previously known as St George's Place, fronting Buchanan Street at West George Street, along from Queen Street Station. It should not be confused with the 17th-century Tron Church, which lies to the south-west on Trongate and was redeveloped in the 1980s as the Tron Theatre. Located right on the busiest shopping street in Scotland, the building is a significant presence, and the oldest in the area. It stands as a terminating vista for West George Street.
6. Crookston Castle
Crookston Castle is a ruined medieval castle in the Pollok area of Glasgow, Scotland. It is located some 5 miles (8 km) south-west of the city centre, on a hill overlooking the Levern Water, just before its confluence with the White Cart Water. Crookston Castle was built by the Stewarts of Darnley around 1400, and is set within earthworks constructed in the 12th century. Once the property of the earls and dukes of Lennox, the castle was extensively repaired following a siege in 1544, and it is the only surviving medieval castle in Glasgow.
7. St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral
The Cathedral Church of St Mary the Virgin, commonly called St Mary's Cathedral, is a cathedral of the Scottish Episcopal Church. It is located on the Great Western Road, in the west end of Glasgow, Scotland. The current building was opened on 9 November 1871 as St Mary's Episcopal Church and was completed in 1893 when the spire was completed. The architect was Sir Gilbert Scott. It was raised to cathedral status in 1908. The total height of the cathedral is 63 metres. The church structure is protected as a category A listed building.
8. Blythswood Square Gardens
Blythswood Square is the Georgian square on Blythswood Hill in the heart of the City of Glasgow, Scotland. The square is part of the 'Magnificent New Town of Blythswood' built in the 1800s on the rising empty ground west of a very new Buchanan Street. These open grounds were part of the vast Lands of Blythswood stretching to the River Kelvin acquired by the Douglas-Campbell family in the 17th century. The Blythswood district became a Conservation Area in 1970, because of its important architectural and historic buildings.
9. St Andrew's Cathedral
The Metropolitan Cathedral Church of Saint Andrew or Glasgow Metropolitan Cathedral is a Roman Catholic Cathedral in the city centre of Glasgow, Scotland. It is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow. The cathedral, which was designed in 1814 by James Gillespie Graham in the Neo Gothic style, lies on the north bank of the River Clyde in Clyde Street. St Andrew's Cathedral is the seat of the Archbishop of Glasgow, currently William Nolan. It is dedicated to the patron saint of Scotland, Saint Andrew.
10. Ruchill Parish Church
Ruchill Church Hall, designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, was built as a mission for the Free Church of Scotland and completed in 1899. It is located at 15/17 Shakespeare Street, a side road off Maryhill Road, Glasgow, Scotland, close to the bridge which takes Ruchill Street across the Forth and Clyde Canal to the Ruchill area, and near a shopping centre on the main road. The adjacent church closer to the canal was constructed later, designed by a different architect.
11. Alexandra Park
Alexandra Park is a public park in the East End of Glasgow, Scotland. It is located in Dennistoun, 2 miles (3 km) east of the city centre. Named after Princess Alexandra of Denmark, it opened in 1870. The highest point of the park gives views north to Ben Lomond and south to the Tinto Hills. The park is generally open from dawn to dusk daily, but the facilities inside the park have separate opening and closing times accordingly.
12. Saint Mungo's
St Mungo's Church is a Roman Catholic Parish Church in the Townhead area of Glasgow, Scotland. It was built in 1841, with later work done on the church in 1877, and designed by George Goldie. It is situated on the corner of Parson Street and Glebe Street, east of St Mungo's Catholic Primary School and west of the Springburn Road. It was founded by the Passionists, is a Gothic Revival church and is a category B listed building.
13. Jimmy Johnstone
James Connolly Johnstone was a Scottish footballer who played as an outside right. Known as "Jinky" for his elusive dribbling style, Johnstone played for Celtic for 13 years, and was part of the 'Lisbon Lions', the team who won the 1967 European Cup Final, as well as winning nine consecutive Scottish championships. He scored 129 goals for Celtic in 515 appearances and was voted the club's greatest ever player by fans in 2002.
14. Ramshorn Theatre
The Ramshorn is a former church building located on Ingram Street in the Merchant City area of Glasgow, Scotland. It is home to SCILT, Scotland's National Centre for Languages and the Confucius Institute for Scotland's Schools (CISS), both centres within the University of Strathclyde. The building is owned by the University, which bought the church in 1983 and used it as a theatre and performance space from 1992 until 2011.
Glenlee is a steel-hulled three-masted barque, built as a cargo ship at Port Glasgow under that name in 1896 for Glasgow owners. With later owners she was named Islamount and Clarastella. From 1922 she was the sail training ship Galatea in the Spanish Navy. Since 1993, carrying her original name, Glenlee has been a museum ship at the Riverside Museum on Pointhouse Quay, Glasgow, known as The Tall Ship at Glasgow Harbour.
16. University Memorial Chapel
The University of Glasgow Memorial Chapel is a chapel at the University of Glasgow, Scotland. It was consecrated on 4 October 1929, and is dedicated to the memory of the former students and staff of the university who died in the First World War. It is located in the West Quadrangle of the Main Building of the university, and was designed by John James Burnet. The chapel is protected as a category A listed building.
17. St Mary's
Saint Mary's is a Catholic church in Calton, Glasgow, Scotland. It is the second oldest church in the Archdiocese of Glasgow and acted as the Pro-Cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow from 14 August 2009 to April 2011, during the restoration of St Andrew's Cathedral. The church building on Abercromby Street, completed in 1842, is protected as a category A listed building.
18. Hunterian Art Gallery
The Hunterian is a complex of museums located in and operated by the University of Glasgow in Glasgow, Scotland. It is the oldest museum in Scotland. It covers the Hunterian Museum, the Hunterian Art Gallery, the Mackintosh House, the Zoology Museum and the Anatomy Museum, which are all located in various buildings on the main campus of the university in the west end of Glasgow.
19. St Columba
St Columba's Church is a Roman Catholic Parish church in Woodside, Glasgow, Scotland. It was completed in 1941 and designed by Gillespie, Kidd & Coia. It is situated on Hopehill Road south west of Garscube Road. From 2005 until 2016 it was served by priests from the Dominican Order. Since 2016 it has been served by the Holy Ghost Fathers. It is a category A listed building.
20. Billy McNeill
William McNeill was a Scottish football player and manager. He had a long association with Celtic, spanning more than sixty years as a player, manager and club ambassador. McNeill captained Celtic's 'Lisbon Lions' to their European Cup victory in 1967 and later spent two spells as the club's manager. As a player and manager, he won 31 major trophies with Celtic.
21. Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is a museum and art gallery in Glasgow, Scotland. It reopened in 2006 after a three-year refurbishment and since then has been one of Scotland's most popular visitor attractions. The museum has 22 galleries, housing a range of exhibits, including Renaissance art, taxidermy, and artefacts from ancient Egypt.
22. Nelson's Monument
The Nelson Monument is a commemorative obelisk built in 1806 in honour of Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson, constructed the year after his death at the Battle of Trafalgar. It is located within Glasgow Green, a historic public park in Glasgow, Scotland. It stands 144 feet (44 m) tall, and its square plinth is enclosed by cast iron railings.
23. St Mungo Museum of Religious Life & Art
The St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art is a museum of religion in Glasgow, Scotland. It has been described as the only public museum in the world devoted solely to this subject, although other notable museums of this kind are the State Museum of the History of Religion in St. Petersburg and the Catharijneconvent in Utrecht.
Wikipedia: St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art (EN), Website
24. Scotland Street School Museum
Scotland Street School Museum is a museum of school education in Glasgow, Scotland, in the district of Kingston. It is located in a former school designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh between 1903 and 1906. The building is one of Glasgow's foremost architectural attractions. It is located next to the Shields Road subway station.
25. Bellgrove Hotel (closed)
The Bellgrove Hotel is a category B listed building in the Gallowgate area of Glasgow. The hotel became notorious as a homeless hostel due to the poor living conditions it provides after a number of press and media reports and it was prominently mentioned during a debate in the Scottish Parliament on 16 December 2014.
26. Ladywell Business Centre
Alexander's School, at 94 Duke Street, Glasgow, was designed by John Burnet and built in 1858 at a cost of £6000 for James Alexander, the proprietor of the cotton mill next door - itself an innovative 1849 fire-proof construction - to educate local children. It was known as "Alexander's Endowed School".
27. Tron Theatre
The Tron Theatre is located in the corner of Trongate and Chisholm Street. This location was formerly the Tron Kirk, which had started as the Collegiate Church of Our Lady and St. Anne in the Trongate area of Glasgow, Scotland. The Tron Steeple still stands adjacent to the theatre.
28. Hillhead Baptist Church
Hillhead Baptist Church is a Baptist church in the west end of Glasgow, Scotland. It was admitted to the Baptist Union of Scotland in 1883, when the church opened. It has operated for over 125 years, one of 164 active Baptist churches in Scotland in the early twenty-first century.
29. The Burrell Collection
The Burrell Collection is a museum in Glasgow, Scotland, managed by Glasgow Museums. It houses the art collection of Sir William Burrell and Constance, Lady Burrell. The museum reopened on 29 March 2022 with free entry, having been closed for refurbishment since 23 October 2016.
30. Centre for Contemporary Arts
The Centre for Contemporary Arts (CCA) is an arts centre in Glasgow, Scotland. The year-round programme includes exhibitions, film, music, literature, festivals, spoken word, Gaelic and performances. The Centre commissions new work from artists it works with to present them.
31. Baillieston St Andrew's Church
Baillieston St Andrew's Church is a congregation of the Church of Scotland, a member of the Presbyterian Church. The church building is located on the corner of Bredisholm Road and Muirhead Road, Baillieston, Glasgow, Scotland. The church today serves the town of Baillieston.
32. Citizens' Theatre
The Citizens Theatre, in what was the Royal Princess's Theatre, is the creation of James Bridie and is based in Glasgow, Scotland as a principal producing theatre. The theatre includes a 500-seat Main Auditorium, and has also included various studio theatres over time.
33. Cathcart Castle
Cathcart Castle was a 15th-century castle, located in what is now Linn Park in the Cathcart area of southern Glasgow, Scotland. The castle was abandoned in the 18th century, and the remaining ruins were pulled down in 1980, leaving only foundations visible.
34. Kelvinside Memorial Church
Kelvinbridge Parish Church, also known as the Kelvin Stevenson Memorial Church, is a Church of Scotland parish church, serving part of the North Kelvinside area of Glasgow, Scotland. The church is within the Church of Scotland's Presbytery of Glasgow.
35. Jordanhill Parish Church
Jordanhill Parish Church is a parish church of the Church of Scotland, serving Jordanhill in the west end of Glasgow, Scotland. It is within the Church of Scotland's Presbytery of Glasgow. The church building is located on Woodend Drive, Jordanhill.
36. Jock Stein
John "Jock" Stein was a Scottish football player and manager. He was the first manager of a British side to win the European Cup, with Celtic in 1967. Stein also guided Celtic to nine successive Scottish League championships between 1966 and 1974.
37. La Pasionaria
Isidora Dolores Ibárruri Gómez, also known as la Pasionaria, was a Spanish Republican politician of the Spanish Civil War of 1936–1939 and a communist known for her slogan ¡No Pasarán! issued during the Battle for Madrid in November 1936.
38. Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church
Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church, originally Hillhead Parish Church, is a parish church of the Church of Scotland, serving the Hillhead and Kelvinside areas of Glasgow, Scotland. It is within the Church of Scotland's Presbytery of Glasgow.
Wikipedia: Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church, Glasgow (EN), Website
39. Glasgow Green
Glasgow Green is a park in the east end of Glasgow, Scotland, on the north bank of the River Clyde. Established in the 15th century, it is the oldest park in the city. It connects to the south via the St Andrew's Suspension Bridge.
40. Wellington Church
Wellington Church is a congregation and parish church of the Church of Scotland, serving part of the Hillhead area of Glasgow, Scotland. The building is located on University Avenue, Glasgow, opposite the University of Glasgow.
41. Haggs Castle
Haggs Castle is a 16th-century tower house, located in the neighbourhood of Pollokshields, in Glasgow, Scotland. The richly decorated building was restored in the 19th century, and today is once more occupied as a residence.
42. The Mackintosh Church, Queen's Cross
Queen's Cross Church is a former Church of Scotland parish church in Glasgow, Scotland. It is the only church designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh to have been built; hence, it is also known as The Mackintosh Church.
43. Gartloch Hospital
Gartloch Hospital was a mental health facility located on the Gartloch Road near the village of Gartcosh, Scotland. It opened in 1896 and was officially closed in 1996. It was managed by NHS Greater Glasgow.
44. Duke of Wellington
The equestrian statue of Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington located outside the Royal Exchange, now known as the Gallery of Modern Art, Glasgow, Scotland, is one of Glasgow's most iconic landmarks.
Wikipedia: Equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington, Glasgow (EN)
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.