8 Sights in Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom (with Map and Images)
Explore interesting sights in Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 8 sights are available in Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom.List of cities in United Kingdom Sightseeing Tours in Barrow-in-Furness
1. Barrow in Furness War Memorial
The Barrow Park Cenotaph is the main war memorial in the UK town of Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, North West England. Located in Barrow's main public park, the structure is grade II listed. It is made from Portland limestone and is pillar like in appearance. It was built in 1919 in commemoration of the 616 Barrovian men who lost their lives in combat during World War I, however since then the names of 274 more locals have been added. The cenotaph currently only bears the names of Barrovians lost during these three wars whilst in military action. Two inscriptions on the memorial read, To the glory of God and in honoured memory of the men of Barrow-in-Furness who fell in the Great War and in honoured memory of all service personnel who gave their lives in the 1939–1945 War. Also Korea and Cyprus campaigns having made the supreme sacrifice that we might live lest we forget.
2. Piel Castle
Piel Castle, also known as Fouldry Castle or the Pile of Fouldray, is a castle situated on the south-eastern point of Piel Island, off the coast of the Furness Peninsula in north-west England. Built in the early-14th century by John Cockerham, the Abbot of neighbouring Furness Abbey, it was intended to oversee the trade through the local harbour and to protect against Scottish raids. The castle was built using stones from the local beach, and featured a large keep with surrounding inner and outer baileys. It was used as a base by the Yorkist pretender Lambert Simnel in 1487, but by 1534 it had fallen into ruin and passed into the hands of the Crown.
3. St George
St. George's Church is in St George's Square, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, England. It is the oldest active Anglican parish church in the town. The church is in the deanery of Barrow, the archdeaconry of Westmorland and Furness, and the diocese of Carlisle. Its benefice is united with those of St Aidan, Newbarns, St Luke, Risedale, and St Perran, Roose, to form the South Barrow Team Ministry. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building. It stands at the southeast extremity of the town.
4. Rampside Lighthouse
Rampside Leading Light, also known as "The Needle", is a leading light located in the Rampside area of Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, England. Built in 1875, it is the only surviving example of 13 such beacons built around Barrow during the late 19th century to aid vessels into the town's port. It stands 20 metres (66 ft) tall and is constructed from red and yellow bricks. Rampside Lighthouse was designated a Grade II listed building by English Heritage in 1991.
5. St. Mary's Church Centre
St Mary's Church is in the town of Dalton-in-Furness, Cumbria, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Furness, the archdeaconry of Westmorland and Furness, and the diocese of Carlisle. Its benefice has been combined with that of St Peter, Ireleth-with-Askam. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building. It stands in an elevated position near Dalton Castle.
6. James Ramsden Statue
Sir James Ramsden was a British mechanical engineer, industrialist, and civic leader, who played a dominant role in the development of the new town of Barrow-in-Furness, in the historic county of Lancashire. He served five successive terms as mayor on its first achieving municipal borough status, from 1867 onwards.
7. South Lakes Safari Zoo
South Lakes Safari Zoo is a 51-acre (21 ha) zoo established in 1994 by David Gill, and located in Cumbria, England. Its name refers to its proximity to the Lake District, though it lies entirely within the Borough of Barrow-in-Furness on the outskirts of Dalton.
8. Walney Lighthouse
Walney Lighthouse is a functioning lighthouse located on Walney Island in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, England. The current building dates to the early 19th-century and is Grade II* listed as well as being the southernmost man-made structure in Cumbria.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.