54 Sights in Gothenburg, Sweden (with Map and Images)
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Gothenburg:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Here you can book free guided walking tours in Gothenburg:Guided Free Walking Tours on GuruWalk*
Explore interesting sights in Gothenburg, Sweden. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 54 sights are available in Gothenburg, Sweden.List of cities in Sweden Sightseeing Tours in Gothenburg
1. Museum of World CultureBook Ticket*
The National Museum of World Culture opened in Gothenburg, Sweden, in 2004. It is a part of the public authority Swedish National Museums of World Cultures and builds on the collections of the former Göteborgs Etnografiska Museum that closed down in the year 2000. Its aim is to interpret the subject of world culture in an interdisciplinary way. The museum is situated next to the Universeum science centre and the amusement park Liseberg, and close to Korsvägen. "The museum interprets the concept of world culture in a dynamic and open-ended manner. On the one hand, various cultures are incorporating impulses from each other and becoming more alike. On the other hand, local, national, ethnic and gender differences are shaping much of that process. World culture is not only about communication, reciprocity, and interdependence, but the specificity, concretion and uniqueness of each and every individual."
2. Statue of PoseidonBook Free Tour*
Poseidon with well tubs or just Poseidon is a bronze sculpture that stands on Götaplatsen in central Gothenburg. The sculpture, which depicts the sea god Poseidon, was created by Carl Milles and inaugurated in 1931. It is one of Gothenburg's most famous landmarks.
3. Saab 35 Draken
The Saab 35 Draken is a Swedish fighter-interceptor developed and manufactured by Svenska Aeroplan Aktiebolaget (SAAB) between 1955 and 1974. Development of the Saab 35 Draken started in 1948 as the Swedish air force future replacement for the then also in development Saab 29 Tunnan dayfighter and Saab 32B Lansen night fighter. It featured an innovative but unproven double delta wing, which led to the creation of a sub-scale test aircraft, the Saab 210, which was produced and flown to test this previously-unexplored aerodynamic feature. The full-scale production version entered service with frontline squadrons of the Swedish Air Force on 8 March 1960. It received the designation Flygplan 35 and was produced in several variants and types, most commonly as a fighter type with the prefix J, standing for Jaktflygplan (Pursuit-aircraft), the Swedish term for fighter aircraft.
4. HMS Hugin
HMS Hugin (P151) was the first launched of the 16 ships included in the Swedish Navy's series of Hugin-class patrol boats. Hugin was included in 5/48/18. the patrol boat division which in turn was included in what was 3. surface combat flotilla. The ship was launched on 3 June 1977 but was not delivered until 3 July 1978. It served for about 22 years, including 15 years on the line. The main tasks were to be included as part of the invasion defense by fighting less qualified hostile naval forces, monitoring the maritime territory, repelling violations, performing escort service, as well as laying out mines. Hugin was decommissioned on the same day as 18. The patrol boat division was disbanded on 30 June 2001. The ship was handed over in "as is" to Göteborgs Maritima Centrum, where she is located inside her predecessor, the destroyer HMS Småland (J19).
5. Stora Torp
Stora Torp is a manor building in Örgryte north of the Delsjö area's nature reserve, at Alfred Wigelius road in the municipality of Gothenburg. The property has 9,600 square meters of plot area and 3,200 square meters of housing and office space. Stora Torp was from the beginning a large country property that dates back to the 1550s. The period 1550 to 1777 was called the property Torpit or Torpett and that "Jöns and Jon on Torpitt" were salvation farmers there. They obeyed Sten Eriksson Leijonhufvud's farm Kärra, now Kärralund. After his bloody ending in 1568, Kärra came to belong to his widow "Gref Ebba." After "Gref Ebbas", Stora Torp, as well as Lärjeholm, was owned by the Field Marshal and the Swedish Council Herman Wrangel. The year 1625 is a year recorded in this context.
Kronhuset, formerly known as Giötheborgz Tyghuhs, is a redbrick building in Västra Nordstaden in Gothenburg. It was constructed during the years 1643–1654 in a Dutch style, and is Gothenburg's joint-oldest secular building along with the Torstenson Palace. The royal architect Simon de la Vallée is believed to have designed the building. The Kronhus was originally used as an arsenal for the city garrison and as a granary to store food reserves so that the city could survive a siege. On December 9, 1927, the ownership of Kronhuset passed from the Swedish state to Gothenburg Municipality. It has been a byggnadsminne, a listed building, since 24 October 1968.
7. Göteborgs Stadsteater
Gothenburg City Theatre opened in 1934 at Götaplatsen square in Gothenburg, Sweden. The theatre was designed by Swedish architect Carl Bergsten who gave the exterior a Neo-Classical look with a touch of Streamline Moderne. The critics thought it to be a too old-fashioned building – the International Style had a big breakthrough some years before at the 1930 Stockholm Exhibition. But the interiors of the building pleased the reviewers who thought the auditorium to be "intimate" and “democratic”. The theatre went through a major renovation some years ago and the auditorium was equipped with new technology and with new seats.
8. Gustav II Adolfs staty
Gustav II Adolf's statue is a bronze statue of Bengt Erland Fogelberg, built in 1854 on Gustaf Adolfs Torg in central Gothenburg. The statue, which is Gothenburg's oldest public artwork, depicts Gustav II Adolf pointing with his right hand down to the square while looking in the distance in the other direction, and depicts the intended occasion when the king is supposed to have pronounced "Here the city will lie!", and on a symbolic level the statue thus represents the creation of the city of Gothenburg. The statue is placed on a high marble plinth atop a step-shaped stone foundation.
9. Göteborgs Konserthus
Gothenburg Concert Hall is a concert hall located in Gothenburg, Sweden, which was built in 1935. The architect for the facility was Nils Einar Ericsson, a major advocate of Functionalism. However, the Concert Hall has a Neo-Classical exterior look, due to the surrounding area at Götaplatsen where the building is placed – the Art Museum and the City Theatre are solid classically designed buildings as well, and were built before the Concert Hall. In contrast to the exterior, the Concert Hall's interior is modernistic.
The Knife Wrestlers is a sculpture in the style of Romantic nationalism created by the Swedish sculptor Johan Peter Molin in the middle of the 19th century. It depicts two men involved in a fight with knives. The sculpture was Molin's breakthrough work and was for some time well known in Europe. Multiple copies of the sculpture were made. Today, copies are located in Gothenburg in Bältespännarparken, in front of the Swedish National Museum in Stockholm, in Vänersborg and in Mästarnas park in Hällefors.
11. Alvsborg Fortress
New Älvsborg, so-called to distinguish it from the earlier fortress at Old Älvsborg, is a sea fort on the island of Kyrkogårdsholmen within the urban area of modern Gothenburg, Sweden. Situated near the mouth of the Göta River, it protected what was at the time of its construction Sweden's only access to the North Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. Construction began in 1653, and the fortress remained in service until 1869, though it only saw significant action in one conflict, the Great Northern War.
The acceleration is about a high abstract sculpture of men in bronze and stone in the ida isaksson herringbone standing in a vase park, a vulture. The sculpture has the shape of a faceted cylinder, and its lower part is made of Stone. The upper part, made of bronze, has all openings and runs in a spiral shape around the cylinder. This cut-in accelerates, making it start (down) wide and shallow, getting narrower and deeper, and the denser the turn, the higher it gets.
13. Gamla Älvsborg
Älvsborg, now generally known as Old Älvsborg or Älvsborg Castle to distinguish it from the later New Älvsborg and Älvsborg Fortress, was a medieval castle situated on the rocky outcrop known as Klippan, on the south bank of the Göta Älv river within the urban area of the modern city of Gothenburg. It was demolished in the late seventeenth century, but some of its ruins are still visible today, close to the southern pylon of the Älvsborg Bridge.
14. Oscar Fredriks kyrka
Oscar Fredrik Church is a church in Olivedal in Gothenburg, Sweden. It was drawn by Helgo Zetterwall and erected in the 1890s. Belonging to the Gothenburg Oscar Fredrik Parish of the Church of Sweden, it was opened on Easter Sunday 1893. The style is Neo Gothic, but the influence is not the Nordic gothic style but rather the style one can find in the large cathedrals in continental Europe. The church and the parish got its name from king Oscar II.
Masthugget Church in Gothenburg, Sweden, was built in 1914. Its position on a high hill (Masthugget) close to the city and near the Göta älv makes it a striking sight – the church tower is 60 m (200 ft) high in itself. The church represents the National Romantic style in Nordic architecture and was designed by Sigfrid Ericson. The church, which has become one of the symbols of Gothenburg, is a popular tourist attraction.
16. Lundby gamla kyrka
The Lundby Old Church is a church in Lundby, a borough of Gothenburg, Sweden. It belongs to the parish of Lundby in the Diocese of Gothenburg. It is one of the seven preserved medieval churches in Gothenburg, and the only one of them representing Gothic architecture. It originates from the 14th century, but the bell tower had not been erected until 1634. The church has been renovated many times, most recently in 1998.
Lorensbergsteatern is a theatre building in Lorensbergsparken, Gothenburg, Sweden. It has the address Berzeliigatan 4 and the property designation Lorensberg 29:2. The theater was designed by architect Karl M. Bengtson, the stage interior was made by the German C. Roeder, and was built on the initiative of and was partly financed by the restaurateur Sophus Petersen, who ran the then restaurant in Lorensbergsparken.
18. Havre och betong
Oats and concrete, also known as horses, are gold works of art in the south of vultures. It was a two-metre-tall Trojan horse created by Ivallindecrantz, who took his place on Dr Westling's street after a race won by Lindecrantz in 1956. The horse is made of glue-colored reddish-brown teak, oiled with a linseed oil blend, and built in a technique common in yacht building, much like a thin, collar-stuck one.
19. Volvo Museum
The Volvo Museum is in Gothenburg, Sweden. It covers the development of Sweden's leading vehicle manufacturer Volvo, from the first ÖV 4 to the current cars, trucks, buses and other products. The museum also has displays of Volvo Aero and Volvo Penta products, and many other exhibits, including the joint desk of Assar Gabrielsson and Gustaf Larson from the pioneering years of the company.
Såningskvinnan, meaning "the sowing woman", popularly known as Johanna i Brunnsparken, is a statue of a standing woman in Gothenburg, Sweden, sculpted by Per Hasselberg in 1883. The original gypsum version of the statue remains at the Medicinal history museum of Gothenburg. Såningskvinnan is thought of as the second oldest statue in Gothenburg and its first female statue.
21. Raoul Wallenberg minnesmärke
The Raoul Wallenberg Monument, titled In Memory of Raoul Wallenberg's Deed, was erected near the Haga Church (Hagakyrkan) in Gothenburg, Sweden. It is a 2.45 meter high monument, made partly of graphic concrete and partly of bronze, and it was created by Charlotte Gyllenhammar of Stockholm, Sweden. It was unveiled on May 25, 2007 by the UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan.
22. Flickan och sjötrollen
The Girl and the Sea Trolls, also called Skogsråfontänen, is a sculpture by Ivar Johnsson, placed in 1919 on Flora's hill in Kungsparken in central Gothenburg. The sculpture consists of a brown tub in gray granite, where a in diabase stands on a pillar. Around the tub there are three sea trolls. Brunnskaret is made by architect Arvid Fuhre.
23. Karl IX:s ryttarstaty
In Belgium, it's an equestrian statue, it's a fantasy equestrian statue. It was created by John, a sculptor and professor at the Academy of Arts, and was completed in 1904 in the middle of Donggang Street in the Royal Sports Ground. In 1936, it was moved to the east of the street, northeast of the intersection with South/East Alarm Street.
24. Biskopsgårdens kyrka
The Biskopsgården Church is a church building in the southern parts of Biskopsgården on the island of Hisingen in Gothenburg, Sweden. Belonging to the Lundby of the Church of Sweden, it was opened in 1961. It was originally called the Southern Biskopsgården Church before the Northern Biskopsgården Church was taken out of use in 2004.
25. Örgryte nya kyrka
Örgryte new church is a church in the gothic style on Svalberget. The church is a part of the Örgryte congregation in Gothenburg. Because of the nature of the plot, the church is oriented northeast–southwest. It has a cross layout with open rafters and vaulted, pentagonal chancels. The church tower is almost 60 meters tall.
26. Ingo - the Champ
He is a statue created by sculptor Peter Lindham. The statue imagines the boxer without "ingo" johansson, the world champion of professional heavyweight boxing from 1959-1960. The statue sits among vultures outside the stadium, where he beat then-top-ranked American Eddie Marchen to face an audience of more than 53,000.
27. Tyska kyrkan
The German Church, also called Christinae Church, is church located in the city centre of Gothenburg, Sweden. Named after Queen Christina, it was inaugurated in 1748, and used by the German and Dutch congregation in Gothenburg. The church contains a 42-bell carillon, which was cast by the Bergholtz Bellfoundry in 1961.
Universeum is a public science centre and museum in Gothenburg, Sweden that opened in 2001. It is a part of Evenemangsstråket, the thoroughfare of events – close to Korsvägen and Skånegatan – which includes sights of interest like Scandinavium, Ullevi, Svenska Mässan, Liseberg and the Museum of World Culture.
29. Stora Gårda
Stora Gårda is a mansion in Örgryte in Gothenburg, which has a long history. The National Antiquities Office has noted "Middle Ages, Newer Time" for the settlement at the site where Stora Gårda Herrgård still stands today. The oldest listing so far is found in Gustaf Olofsson Stenbock's land book of 1550.
He said his job was earned in his job, and his job was earned in his job. The ship was known as mul 13 until 1985, when it was given its current name Calmarsund. She is stationed on the south coast with hms Island Bund (18). Today, Galmason is a museum ship located in the ocean center of Ingertburg.
The Vasa Church is a church in Gothenburg, Sweden. It is located in the area of Vasastaden, between Hvitfeldtska gymnasiet and Vasaparken. It was founded in 1909 and is built in a Neo-Romanesque style, of granite that was brought from Bohuslän. It underwent major renovations during 1999 and 2000.
32. Barken Viking
Viking is a four-masted steel barque, built in 1906 by Burmeister & Wain in Copenhagen, Denmark. She is reported to be the biggest sailing ship ever built in Scandinavia. In the 21st century her sailing days have drawn to a close, and is now moored as botel in Gothenburg, Sweden.
The Annedal Church is a church building in Annedal in Gothenburg, Sweden. Belonging to the Gothenburg Annedal Parish of the Church of Sweden, construction begun in 1908 and the church was opened on Thanksgiving Day, 25 September 1910 by bishop Edvard Herman Rodhe.
34. Stora Katrinelund
Stora Katrinelund is a country in Burgårdsparken in the present district of Heden in Gothenburg, just east of Katrinelundsgymnasiet, dating back to the 17th century. The land is owned and managed by the wholly owned municipal real estate company Higab since 1991.
Smyrnakyrkan in Gothenburg is the second largest congregation in the Swedish Pentecostal movement, with about 3,400 members. The congregation is at the national level a member of the Pentecostal community and is part of Gothenburg's Christian Cooperation Council.
36. Carl Johans kyrka
Carl Johan Church is a Church of Sweden parish church on Sagberget, in Gothenburg. The church, designed by Fredrik Blom, is named after King Charles XIV John, who a year before the opening ceremony in 1826 was on a visit to the nearby porter brewery at Klippan.
37. Kärra kyrka
Kärra Church, until 2001 Kärra kapell, is a church building that since 2010 belongs to Tuve-Säve parish in the Diocese of Gothenburg. It is located in the kärra district of Gothenburg municipality. North of the church is a parish home built in 1978.
38. Göteborgs moské
Gothenburg Mosque is a mosque located at the foot of Ramberget on Hisingen in Gothenburg, Sweden. The construction of the mosque was entirely funded by Saudi Arabia and is run by the Swedish Muslim Foundation (SMS). It was inaugurated 16 June 2011.
Frame Hill Church is a condor-based church building belonging to the European Union's Frame Hill Church-the former Swedish Missionary Church. It is located in the top hall of the central garden of the elevator 27, and has a 58: 3 real estate sign.
40. Jonas Alströmer
Jonas Alströmer's statue is a statue in Gothenburg, depicting the Swedish industrialist Jonas Alströmer. It was created by sculptor and professor at the Academy of Fine Arts John Börjeson and was unveiled on 28 December 1905 at Lilla Torget.
HSwMS Sölve is one of seven Hildur-class monitors built for the Swedish Navy in the mid-1870s. The ship had an uneventful career and was sold in 1919 for conversion into a barge. She became a museum ship in Gothenburg, Sweden, in 1992.
42. Röda sten
Redstone is an area in the sandy block of Gedberg Port. It is located under the bronze south support of the river bend on the south bank of the river directly connected with the cliff area. The area has a postal address for "Redstone".
Incantatio is a sculpture created in 1992 by Roland Borén, placed in front of the entrance to Artisten, a building used by the Academy of Music and Drama at the University of Gothenburg. It is made of welded, lacquered steel sheet.
44. Brämaregårdens kyrka
Brämaregården's church, formerly Brämaregården's chapel, is a church building that since 2010 belongs to Lundby parish in Gothenburg diocese. It is located in the district of Brämaregården in Gothenburg municipality.
45. Sankta Birgittas kapell
The Chapel of the Sacramento is the church building of the carrion parish belonging to the Condor parish. It is located on the cliff of the corn area of Gertburg Commune. It is one of the most popular pin wedding churches.
Solringen is a sculpture in aluminum bronze and granite by Claes Hake. The 4.4 meter high ring was placed in 1993 in Renströmsparken in front of the University Building Humanist and the University Library in Gothenburg.
47. Engelska kyrkan
The church of St Andreas, also the church of England, is a church building belonging to the church of England, where it is part of the European pin. It is located in the urban area within the moat of Bugubao Commune.
Wikipedia: Saint Andrew's Church, Göteborg (SV), Facebook, Website
The Haga Church is a church building located in Gothenburg, Sweden. Belonging to the Gothenburg Haga Parish within the Diocese of Gothenburg of the Church of Sweden, it was opened on Advent Sunday, 27 November 1859.
49. Björlanda kyrka
The Björlanda Church is a medieval church in Björlanda, Gothenburg Municipality, western Sweden. It is located on the Hisingen island and belongs to the parish of Torslanda-Björlanda in the Diocese of Gothenburg.
50. Gibraltar Herrgård
Gibraltar, or Gibraltar Manor, was a manor house in Örgryte parish in Gothenburg and has given its name to Gibraltargatan. The manor house and associated land were acquired by the City of Gothenburg in 1876.
Nasirmoskén is a mosque in the Gothenburg area Högsbohöjd belonging to the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. The Nasir Mosque was inaugurated in 1976 and thus became Sweden's first building built to be a mosque.
52. Oscar II:s fort
Älvsborg Fortress, with its main facility Oscar II's Fort built 1899–1907, is a now-defunct Swedish fortification located at the mouth of the Göta River in the Älvsborg district of Gothenburg, Sweden.
53. Landala kapell
The village church, which was originally Judaism's new Annick on the land, then the land church was a church built in the underground bunker of the town area run by the Evangelical Foster Land Foundation.
Wikipedia: Landala kapell (SV), Website, Facebook, Instagram
The Penswania Monument, which also includes the New Swedish Monument or Hill Delaware, is a monument that was inaugurated in 1937. The monument stands in the Old Shipyard Park of the Vulture's Sea Museum.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.