Explore interesting sights in Zamora, Spain. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 25 sights are available in Zamora, Spain.Sightseeing Tours in Zamora
1. Puente de Piedra
Zamora Stone Bridge is one of five bridges across the Douro River through the provincial capital city of the same name. For centuries, it was the city's only river passage, connecting the suburbs with the city's historic center. At present, it is the connecting point between Vigo Avenue and Bethlehem Square. Because of its position on the silver track, it is an important place for people, goods and nomads to pass through the Douro River. Built in the early 12th century, it has been renovated many times and is now one of the most representative symbols of the city. Many of the decorative elements of the bridge underwent fundamental changes during interventions carried out in the early 20th century, with two towers flanked by the bridge entrance removed to make it easier to access growing road traffic. Many decorations and ornaments on the bridge disappeared in this profound reform. Only the original stone material is left: the main arch and the vault of the pile, although these are consciously decorated. The bridge is part of the Silver Jacob route. Historically, it was part of the Roman road, known as iter ab emerita asturicam. In the following centuries, it was an important passage for people, goods and nomads to pass through the Douro River. The opening of the so-called Poet Bridge in 2013 made it a footbridge.
2. Aceñas de Olivares
The aceñas de Olivares are a group of this type of mills located on the bed of the Duero River, in the Spanish city of Zamora. They constitute one of the five sets of aceñas that still exist in the city, although all were already of productive use since the early twentieth century, along with those of Pinilla, Cabañales, Gijón and Los Pisones. They have been rehabilitated and consolidated to install in them the Interpretation Center of the Traditional Water Industries. The project, with an investment of € 317,000, was in charge of the architects Francisco Somoza and Pedro Lucas del Teso, who received a special mention for it in the "Hispania Nostra" awards in 2008.
3. Convent of San Francisco
The convent of San Francisco Extraponte was a Franciscan institution built in the fourteenth century in Zamora. It is known for having been the resting place of the polygraph Juan Gil de Zamora, close collaborator of Alfonso X the Wise and preceptor of his son, Sancho IV of Castile. The name "extraponte" comes from its proximity to the old bridge. The convent is in the early twenty-first century in a state of restoration. The Dean's Chapel was built in the sixteenth century under the direction of Gil de Hontañón and since 2007 houses an exhibition and conference hall. Since 1994 it has been the headquarters of the Rei Afonso Henriques Spanish-Portuguese Foundation.
4. Ayuntamiento Viejo de Zamora
The Old Town Hall of Zamora is an arcaded building that is located in the Plaza Mayor of Zamora. It is one of the oldest buildings in the Plaza along with the church of San Juan. It had City Hall functions until 1950, just when the new building began to operate. Despite its antiquity it is not the seat of the first town hall that the city had. The current building, called Old Town Hall, was made in the early seventeenth century and is Plateresque style. Among its most significant changes is the removal of two of its towers, and the restoration of the building in 1977. It currently houses the premises of the Municipal Police.
5. Iglesia de San Juan Bautista
The Church of San Juan Bautista is a Romanesque church located in Zamora, Castile and León (Spain). It is located on one side of the Plaza Mayor. The name of San Juan is due to San Juan Bautista and the New Door was a cover when the neighboring wall passed near the square. It dates from the mid-twelfth century. In 1961 it was approved as a Historical Monument. In one of its corners, already outside, you can find a modern statue dedicated to Merlú, a work that was erected in 1996 by the Zamorano sculptor Antonio Pedrero Yéboles.
6. Iglesia de Santiago el Burgo
The Church of Santiago del Burgo or as it is sometimes called, Santiago el Burgo, is a Romanesque temple located in the city of Zamora, Spain. Dated to the late twelfth century. It maintains its original structure of three naves, typical of the Hispanic Romanesque. Being the only church in the city that maintains this interior structure of tripartite head. The church building is completed by a quadrangular tower located in the southwest corner. It is located in the center of the current Zamora, in the busy street of Santa Clara.
7. Aceñas de Cabañales
The Aceñas de Cabañales are a group of mills located on the bed of the Duero River, in the Spanish city of Zamora. They constitute one of the five sets of aceñas that still exist in the city, although all were already of productive use since the beginning of the twentieth century. They coexist with other aceñas such as Olivares, La Pinilla. Both in possession of the cathedral chapter until the twentieth century. These aceñas are located upstream of the Puente de Piedra, on the left bank.
8. Teatro Ramos Carrión
The Ramos Carrión Theatre is a theatre building located in Zamora, Spain. The modernist style building is the work of the architect Francisco Ferriol. A competition of ideas was started in 1996 with the aim of renovating the building completely, with this it was intended to create a cultural space. The works that end in 2011 maintain the entrance body. The building was built in honor of the Zamorano humorist Miguel Ramos Carrión who was born in a house located right in front of the theater.
9. Iglesia de San Esteban
The Church of San Esteban, popularly known as the "Fathers", is a Romanesque building that is located in the Plaza de San Esteban, between the neighborhoods of San Torcaz, del Burgo and de la Lana in the city of Zamora, Community of Castilla y León, Spain. It retains its original exterior structure but not the interior due to the reforms carried out during the eighteenth century. Until 2009 it has been the provisional headquarters of the Baltasar Lobo Museum, now moved to the city's castle.
10. Teatro Principal de Zamora
The Teatro Principal de Zamora was inaugurated in 1606 and built on the site of the old 'corral de comedias', where the convent of Santa Paula was formerly located. Located in the corner of San Vicente Street, it differed from the rest of its time by being covered and not having a charitable welfare purpose. Due to its small size it is popularly known as the "bombonera". It is considered an Asset of Cultural Interest since the late twentieth century.
11. Iglesia de Santa María la Nueva
The Church of Santa María la Nueva is a Romanesque temple located in the city of Zamora, Spain. In the Plaza de Santa María la Nueva. It is one of the Zamoran churches built in the early twelfth century. Burned during the Trout mutiny in 1158, it was built again. Spacious nave, result of the fusion of its three primitive naves. It was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1945. Inside highlights the baptismal font of the thirteenth century.
12. Casa del Cid
La Casa del Cid is a Romanesque civil building located in the city of Zamora (Spain). Since 1931 it has been protected by having been declared a historic-artistic monument. This building is located next to the Puerta Optima, Olivares or Bishop, the latter denomination because it is open next to the episcopal palace. It is therefore located in a privileged place of the old village, occupying part of the walls, allowing views towards the Douro.
13. Iglesia de San Torcuato
The church of San Torcuato was a Romanesque temple located next to the door of San Torcuato next to the walls. It was demolished in 1837 and the dedication of San Torcuato was moved to the current headquarters of the Church of the Convent of the Trinitarios Calzados. The current church is a baroque style temple that began its construction in 1673 and renovated in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries after receiving the title.
14. Iglesia y Convento del Tránsito
The Convent of Corpus Christi, also called del Tránsito, of Barefoot Poor Clares in Zamora (Spain) was built in the early sixteenth century, as the house of Doña Ana de Osorio and Don Juan de Carbajal, being Doña Ana de Osorio who in her will ordered to donate "the houses of her dwelling and all her hacienda, so that a monastery of first rule of Santa Clara was founded, who are vulgarly called "Barefoot"".
15. Iglesia de San Claudio de Olivares
The Church of San Claudio de Olivares is a Romanesque temple located in the city of Zamora (Spain), in the neighborhood of Olivares. Some historians consider it as the oldest remaining of the Romanesque of the city. It is also known because it receives worship the Christ of Amparo, crucified that the night of Holy Wednesday is taken out in procession by the Brotherhood of Penance.
16. Museo Etnográfico de Castilla y León
The Ethnographic Museum of Castilla y León, located in the city of Zamora, is one of the four that make up the Network of Regional Museums of Castilla y León, together with the Museum of Steel and Mining of Castilla y León (MSM), located in Sabero, the Museum of Contemporary Art of Castilla y León (MUSAC), in León capital, and the Museum of Human Evolution, based in Burgos.
17. Iglesia de San Pedro y San Ildefonso
The Archpriestal Church of San Pedro and San Ildefonso, is a temple, in Romanesque origin, of the city of Zamora, Spain, the largest and most important of the town after the Cathedral. By concession of Don Juan de Aguilar was declared in 1500 Archpriestal Church. It is a National Monument since 1974.
18. Iglesia de San Isidoro
The Church of San Isidoro is a Romanesque monument in Zamora (Spain). It is located in the Plaza de San Isidro s / n. It was the temple founded by Sancha, sister of Alfonso VII, who had it built inside the first walled enclosure of the city. It is located in the vicinity of Portillo de la Traición.
19. Estatua de Viriato
Viriato or the Monument to Viriathus is an instance of public art in Zamora, Spain. Dedicated to Viriathus and located in the eponymous plaza, the monument consists of a bronze sculpture of the Lusitanian chieftain-shepherd put on an unpolished stone pedestal that features a battering ram.
20. Museo de Zamora
The Museum of Zamora is a provincial museum located in the Plaza de Santa Lucía de Zamora, Spain, in the neighborhood that in medieval times was called "La Puebla del Valle". Its ownership is the Ministry of Culture, being the management transferred to the Junta de Castilla y León.
21. Iglesia del Sepulcro
The Church of the Holy Sepulchre is a Romanesque temple, located in the city of Zamora (Spain). Built in the twelfth century, it enjoys special protection since June 13, 1977, when it was declared of cultural interest of provincial character, with the category of monument.
22. Iglesia de San Frontis
The Church of San Frontis is a temple, in Romanesque origin, of the city of Zamora, Spain, located on the left bank of the Duero River, in the neighborhood to which it gives its name. It was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest on September 26, 2013.
23. Centro de Interpretación de las Ciudades Medievales
The Interpretation Centre of the Medieval Cities is an exhibition space located in the Spanish city of Zamora dedicated to disseminating what the cities of Europe were like during the Middle Ages, with special attention to the capital of Zamora itself.
24. Iglesia de San Vicente
The Church of San Vicente Mártir is a Romanesque church in the city of Zamora, Spain. Its tower and its western façade were declared a National Monument in 1961. The church was built in the late twelfth or early thirteenth century.
In the Holy Week of Zamora (Spain), the Merlú is the name given to those couples of congregants of the Brotherhood of Jesus Nazareno whose work is to gather the other brothers to begin the processional parade.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.