Explore interesting sights in Volgograd, Russia. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 31 sights are available in Volgograd, Russia.Sightseeing Tours in Volgograd
1. Ствол 203-мм гаубицы
203 mm howitzer M1931 (B-4) was a 203 mm (8 inch) Soviet high-power heavy howitzer. During the Second World War, it was under the command of the Stavka's strategic reserve. It was nicknamed "Stalin's sledgehammer" by German soldiers. These guns were used with success against Finnish pillboxes at the Mannerheim Line, heavy German fortifications and in urban combat for destroying protected buildings and bunkers. These guns were used until the end of the war in the Battle of Berlin, during which the Red Army used them to smash German fortifications at point blank range with their heavy 203mm shells. In the spring of 1944, a KV-1S tank chassis was used to create a self-propelled variant, the S-51. The heavy recoil from the muzzle blast threw the crew off their seats and damaged the transmission, and so it was cancelled.
The T-34 is a Soviet medium tank from World War II. When introduced, its 76.2 mm (3 in) tank gun was more powerful than its contemporaries, and its 60-degree sloped armour provided good protection against anti-tank weapons. The T-34 had a profound effect on the conflict on the Eastern Front, and had a long-lasting impact on tank design. The tank was praised by multiple German generals when encountered during Operation Barbarossa, although its armour and armament were surpassed later in the war. Though, its main strength was its cost and production time, meaning that German panzer forces would often fight against Soviet tank forces several times their size. The T-34 is also a critical part of the mechanized divisions that form the backbone of the Deep Battle Strategy.
3. Легкий танк Т-26
The T-26 tank was a Soviet light tank used during many conflicts of the Interwar period and in World War II. It was a development of the British Vickers 6-Ton tank and was one of the most successful tank designs of the 1930s until its light armour became vulnerable to newer anti-tank guns. It was produced in greater numbers than any other tank of the period, with more than 11,000 units manufactured giving it the title of the most produced tank during the interwar period. During the 1930s, the USSR developed 53 variants of the T-26, including flame-throwing tanks, combat engineer vehicles, remotely controlled tanks, self-propelled guns, artillery tractors, and armoured carriers. Twenty-three of these were series-produced, others were experimental models.
4. 152-мм гаубица-пушка образца 1937 года (МЛ-20)
The 152 mm howitzer-gun M1937 (ML-20), is a Soviet heavy gun-howitzer. The gun was developed by the design bureau of the plant no 172, headed by F. F. Petrov, as a deep upgrade of the 152-mm gun M1910/34, in turn based on the 152-mm siege gun M1910, a pre-World War I design by Schneider. It was in production from 1937 to 1946. The ML-20 saw action in World War II, mainly as a corps / army level artillery piece of the Soviet Army. Captured guns were employed by Wehrmacht and the Finnish Army. Post World War II, the ML-20 saw combat in numerous conflicts during the mid to late twentieth century.
5. 122-мм гаубица образца 1938 года (М-30)
The 122 mm howitzer M1938 (M-30) is a Soviet 121.92 mm (4.8 inch) howitzer. The weapon was developed by the design bureau of Motovilikha Plants, headed by F. F. Petrov, in the late 1930s, and was in production from 1939 to 1955. The M-30 saw action in World War II, mainly as a divisional artillery piece of the Red Army (RKKA). Captured guns were also employed later in the conflict by the German Wehrmacht and the Finnish Army. Post World War II the M-30 saw combat in numerous conflicts of the mid- to late twentieth century in service of other countries' armies, notably in the Middle East.
The T-72 is a family of Soviet main battle tanks that entered production in 1969. The T-72 was a development to the T-64, which was troubled by high costs and its reliance on immature developmental technology. About 25,000 T-72 tanks have been built, and refurbishment has enabled many to remain in service for decades. It has been widely exported and has seen service in 40 countries and in numerous conflicts. The Russian T-90 introduced in 1992 and the Chinese Type 99 are further developments of the T-72. Production and development of various modernized T-72 models continues today.
7. Mamayev Kurgan
Mamayev Kurgan is a dominant height overlooking the city of Volgograd in Southern Russia. The name in Russian means "tumulus of Mamai". The formation is dominated by a memorial complex commemorating the Battle of Stalingrad. The battle, a hard-fought Soviet victory over Axis forces on the Eastern Front of World War II, turned into one of the bloodiest battles in human history. At the time of its installation in 1967 the statue, named The Motherland Calls, formed the largest free-standing sculpture in the world; today it is the tallest sculpture of a woman in the world.
8. 85-мм дивизионная пушка Д-44
The 85-mm divisional gun D-44 was a Soviet divisional 85-mm calibre field artillery gun used in the last action of World War II. It was designed as the replacement for the 76 mm divisional gun M1942 (ZiS-3). The gun was no longer in front-line service with the Russian Ground Forces, until being pressed back into service in the Russo-Ukrainian War in 2023. Some 200 of the Chinese Type 56 variant are still in service with the Pakistan Army. Wartime service included use by communist forces during the Vietnam War and by Arab forces during their conflicts with Israel.
9. Памятник Чекистам
A monument to the soldiers of the 10th Division of the NKVD troops and the Stalingrad police officers, the defenders of the city in 1942-1943 or the Chekist Monument is a memorial in Volgograd, located on the right bank of the Tsaritsa River, near the Astrakhan Bridge connecting the Central and Voroshilov districts of the city. The Chekistov Square with a small park area is arranged around the monument. Nearby the metro-tram station and public transport stops. It is a figure of a warrior with a high-raising naked sword in his hand located on the pedestal.
10. 152-мм гаубица образца 1943 года (Д-1)
The D-1 howitzer M1943 is a Soviet World War II-era 152.4 mm howitzer. The gun was developed by the design bureau headed by F. F. Petrov in 1942 and 1943, based on the carriage of the 122 mm howitzer M1938 (M-30) and using the barrel of the 152 mm howitzer M1938 (M-10). The powerful and mobile D-1, with its wide range of ammunition, significantly increased the firepower and breakthrough abilities of Red Army tank and motor rifle formations. Several hundred D-1s were manufactured before the end of World War II.
11. The Motherland Calls
The Motherland Calls is the compositional centre of the monument-ensemble "Heroes of the Battle of Stalingrad" on Mamayev Kurgan in Volgograd, Russia. The statue is designed in the Soviet style of socialist realism. It was created by sculptor Yevgeny Vuchetich and structural engineer Nikolai Nikitin, and declared the tallest statue in the world in 1967. At 85 m (279 ft), it is the tallest statue in the eastern hemisphere outside of Asia and the tallest statue of a woman in the world.
12. Музей Старая Сарепта
The historical, ethnographic and architectural museum-reserve "Old Sarepta" is a major cultural, tourist, research and methodological center of Volgograd. The exhibition complex “Old Sarepts” occupies an area of 7.1 ha, includes 27 buildings, of which 23 are federal monuments of the 18th - 19th centuries, constant historical and ethnographic exhibitions, replaceable exhibitions of artists, photographers, masters of decorative and applied creativity.
13. 150-мм тяжелая полевая пушка 15 cm sFH 18
The 15 cm schwere Feldhaubitze 18 or sFH 18, nicknamed Immergrün ("Evergreen"), was the basic German division-level heavy howitzer of 149mm during the Second World War, serving alongside the smaller but more numerous 10.5 cm leFH 18. Its mobility and firing range and the effectiveness of its 44 kilogram shell made it the most important weapon of all German infantry divisions. A total of 6,756 examples were produced.
14. Лог смерти
In the Krasnoktyabrsky district of Volgograd, on the banks of the Volga on the mass grave, there is a monument with a laconic inscription: “Here, in the days of the Battle of Stalingrad, the warriors of the 95th Infantry Division under the command of Colonel Vasily Gorishnina heroically fought in the years.” Even during the battle, the place was called the “Log of Death”.
15. В.Г. Мигуля
Vladimir Georgievich Migulya was a Soviet and Russian musician, singer and composer. He authored many popular songs in the 1970s and the 1990s. He collaborated with the group Zemlyane. In 1988 he was named Honored Artist of the RSFSR Migulya wrote the music of the first Hymn of Cosmonautics of Russia Grass by the Home. He was a 14-times laureate of the festival Pesnya Goda.
The Yakovlev Yak-3 was a single-engine, single-seat World War II Soviet fighter. Robust and easy to maintain, it was much liked by both pilots and ground crew. One of the smallest and lightest combat fighters fielded by any combatant during the war, its high power-to-weight ratio gave it excellent performance and it proved to be a formidable dogfighter.
17. Волгоградский областной краеведческий музей
The Volga Regional Museum of Regional Lore was founded on November 2 (15), 1914 as the Tsaritsyn City Museum under the Society for the Promotion of Out-of-School Education of Tsaritsyn on the basis of the City School Museum at the 12th Ivanov School. The museum's fund consists of 143,000 items.
Volgograd Synagogue is a historic synagogue built in 1888 in then Tsaritsyn, now Volgograd. It was destroyed during the Battle of Stalingrad after the invasion of German forces, and rebuilt after World War II. In the early 21st century, it serves the Jewish community of Volgograd, Russia.
19. Бармалей (Детский хоровод)
The Barmaley is an informal name of a fountain in the city of Volgograd. Its official name is Children's Khorovod. The statue is of a circle of six children dancing the khorovod around a crocodile. While the original fountain was removed in the 1950s, two replicas were installed in 2013.
20. Памятник Хользунову
The monument to Kholzunov is a sculpture of the Hero of the Soviet Union Viktor Stepanovich Kholzunov installed on the central embankment of the city of Volgograd. It is an object of cultural heritage of federal significance and one of the few surviving pre -war monuments in the city.
The Sukhoi Su-2 was a Soviet reconnaissance and light bomber aircraft used in the early stages of World War II. It was the first airplane designed by Pavel Sukhoi. The basic design received an engine and armament upgrade (Su-4) and was modified for the ground-attack role (ShB).
22. 50-мм противотанковая пушка 5 cm FlaK 41
The 5 cm FlaK 41 (Flugabwehrkanone 41) was a German 50 mm (2.0 in) anti-aircraft gun produced for defending the intermediate zone above the range of light guns, but below the ceiling of the heavy pieces. The gun proved inadequate and was produced only in small numbers.
23. 57-мм противотанковая пушка образца 1941 года (ЗИС-2)
The ZiS-2 is a Soviet 57 mm anti-tank gun used during World War II. The ZiS-4 is a version of the gun that was meant to be installed in tanks. ZiS stands for Zavod imeni Stalina, the official title of Artillery Factory No. 92, which produced the gun first.
24. 76-мм дивизионная пушка образца 1942 года (ЗИС-3)
The 76-mm divisional gun M1942 (ZiS-3) was a Soviet 76.2 mm divisional field gun used during World War II. ZiS was a factory designation and stood for Zavod imeni Stalina, the honorific title of Artillery Factory No. 92, which first constructed this gun.
25. Храм Иоанна Предтечи
The temple of the Holy Prophet John the Baptist is the first church of the city of Tsaritsyn. On July 2, 1589, the construction of the Tsaritsyn fortress by the Cossacks began with the construction of a wooden church in the name of St. John the Baptist.
26. Волгоградский музыкальный театр
The Volgograd Musical Theater is the oldest musical theater on the Volga River, the successor of the 2nd State Stalingrad Workers' Theater, the Stalingrad Regional Theater of Musical Comedy and the Volgograd Regional Theater of Musical Comedy;
27. Легкий танк Т-60
The T-60 scout tank was a light tank produced by the Soviet Union from 1941 to 1942. During this period, 6,292 units were built. The tank was designed to replace the obsolete T-38 amphibious scout tank and saw action during World War II.
28. Аллея Героев
Alley of Heroes-Boulevard in the Center for the Hero City Volgograd. Connects the embankment to them. The 62nd Army and the Square of the Fallen Warchers, crossing the avenue to them. Lenin, Sovetskaya and Chuykov streets.
29. Памятник В. И. Ленин
Memorial to Lenin is a monument to Vladimir Ilyich Lenin at the entrance to the Volga-Don Shipping Canal named after V. I. Lenin on the Volga side not far from the first lock. One of the tallest statues in the world.
31. Медаль Золотая звезда
The title Hero of the Soviet Union was the highest distinction in the Soviet Union, awarded together with the Order of Lenin personally or collectively for heroic feats in service to the Soviet state and society.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.