Here you can find interesting sights in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 23 sights are available in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia.Back to the list of cities in Russia
1. Истребитель ЛА-7
The Lavochkin La-7 was a piston-engined single-seat Soviet fighter aircraft developed during World War II by the Lavochkin Design Bureau. It was a development and refinement of the Lavochkin La-5, and the last in a family of aircraft that had begun with the LaGG-1 in 1938. Its first flight was in early 1944 and it entered service with the Soviet Air Forces later in the year. A small batch of La-7s was given to the Czechoslovak Air Force the following year, but it was otherwise not exported. Armed with two or three 20 mm (0.8 in) cannon, it had a top speed of 661 kilometers per hour (411 mph). The La-7 was felt by its pilots to be at least the equal of any German piston-engined fighter. It was phased out in 1947 by the Soviet Air Force, but served until 1950 with the Czechoslovak Air Force.
2. Зенитная пушка 52-К
The 85 mm air defense gun M1939 (52-K) was an 85 mm (3.3 in) Soviet anti-aircraft gun, developed under guidance of leading Soviet designers M. N. Loginov and G. D. Dorokhin. This gun was successfully used throughout the German-Soviet War against level bombers and other high- and medium-altitude targets. In emergencies they were utilized as powerful anti-tank weapons. The barrel of the 52-K was the basis for the family of 85-mm Soviet tank guns. After the war some 52-Ks were refitted for peaceful purposes as anti-avalanche guns in mountainous terrain.
3. Русский музей фотографии
The Russian Photography Museum in Nizhny Novgorod is a municipal cultural institution in Nizhny Novgorod. The museum has a large collection of photographic techniques, photographic documents and photos from the 19th and 20th centuries. On the basis of the Russian Museum of Photography, major photographic events on a Russian and international scale, such as the Volga Biennale, the Svetopist Festival and the Nizhny Novgorod Regional Photographic Festival, are held. From 2007 to 2010, the annual Russian Youth Photography Festival was held here.
4. Бронеавтомобиль БА-64
The BA-64 was a Soviet four-wheeled armoured scout car. Built on the chassis of a GAZ-64 or GAZ-67 jeep, it incorporated a hull loosely modeled after that of the Sd. Kfz. 221. The BA-64 was developed between July and November 1941 to replace the BA-20 then in service with armoured car units of the Red Army. Cheap and exceptionally reliable, it would later become the most common Soviet wheeled armoured fighting vehicle to enter service during World War II, with over 9,000 being manufactured before production ended.
5. Рубка подводной лодки С-13
S-13 was a Stalinets-class submarine of the Soviet Navy. Her keel was laid down by Krasnoye Sormovo in Gorky on 19 October 1938. She was launched on 25 April 1939 and commissioned on 31 July 1941 in the Baltic Fleet, under the command of Captain Pavel Malantyenko. The submarine is best known for the 1945 sinking of Wilhelm Gustloff, a German military transport ship/converted cruise ship. With a career total of 44,701 GRT sunk or damaged, she is the highest-scoring Soviet submarine in history.
The BRDM-2 is an amphibious armoured scout car used by states that were part of the Soviet Union and its allies. It was also known under the designations BTR-40PB, BTR-40P-2 and GAZ 41-08. This vehicle, like many other Soviet designs, has been exported extensively and is in use in at least 38 countries. It was intended to replace the older BRDM-1, and has improved amphibious capabilities and better armament compared to its predecessor.
7. Артиллерия СУ-76
The SU-76 was a Soviet light self-propelled gun used during and after World War II. The SU-76 was based on a lengthened version of the T-70 light tank chassis and armed with the 76 mm divisional gun M1942 (ZiS-3). Its quite simple construction and multipurpose combat role made it the second most produced Soviet armoured fighting vehicle of World War II, after the T-34 medium tank.
The BMP-1 is a Soviet amphibious tracked infantry fighting vehicle. BMP stands for Boyevaya Mashina Pyekhoty 1, meaning "infantry fighting vehicle, 1st serial model". The BMP-1 was the first mass-produced infantry fighting vehicle (IFV) of the Soviet Union. It was called the M-1967, BMP and BMP-76PB by NATO before its correct designation was known.
9. Нижегородский острог
Nizhny Novgorod Prison is a former prison in the historic center of Nizhny Novgorod. Prison is a complex composed of prison and administrative building. It is built in a rectangular shape with four towers at four corners. The whole area is surrounded by brick walls. It is now used as a museum. Located in Nizhny Novgorod, pl. Freedom, 2A.
10. Г. И. Петровский
Grigory Ivanovich Petrovsky was a Ukrainian Soviet politician and Old Bolshevik. He participated in signing the Treaty on the Creation of the USSR and the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk. Petrovsky was Communist Party leader in Ukraine until 1938, and one of the officials responsible for implementing Stalin's policy of collectivization.
The BTR-70 is an eight-wheeled armored personnel carrier originally developed by the Soviet Union during the late 1960s under the manufacturing code GAZ-4905. On August 21, 1972, it was accepted into Soviet service and would later be widely exported. Large quantities were also produced under license in Romania as the TAB-77.
12. Я. М. Свердлову
The monument to Y. M. Sverdlov in Nizhny Novgorod is located in the square on the corner of Bolshaya Pokrovskaya and Oktyabrskaya streets. The opening of the monument took place on November 5, 1957. The authors of the project were sculptors P. I. Gusev and N. M. Chugurin, architect V. N. Rymarenko.
13. Театр оперы и балета
Named after A. S. Pushkin, Nizhny Novgorod's National Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre is Nizhny Novgorod Theatre, which was founded in 1935 as Gorky Opera and Ballet Theatre at that time. It is located in the Sovetsky district of Nizhny Novgorod. The number of seats in the auditorium is 1152.
The T-10 was a Soviet heavy tank of the Cold War, the final development of the IS tank series. During development, it was called IS-8 and IS-9. It was accepted into production in 1952 as the IS-10, but due to the political climate in the wake of Stalin's death in 1953, it was renamed T-10.
15. Памятник Н.А. Добролюбову
The N. A. Dobrolyubov Monument is located in the city of Nizhny Novgorod, in the park of Teatralnaya Square, on the right side of the Academic Theatre Building. Here, there is a house nearby, where N. A. Dobrolyubov (1836-1861), a literary critic and publicist, was born.
16. «Катюша» БМ-13
BM-13 was a Soviet rocket launcher chariot during the Great Patriotic War and the largest Soviet chariot (BM) in this class. The most widely known nickname was "Katyusha," which Nazi German soldiers called "Stalin's organ" for making the sound of a rocket tail.
17. 76-мм пушка ЗиС-3
The 76-mm divisional gun M1942 (ZiS-3) was a Soviet 76.2 mm divisional field gun used during World War II. ZiS was a factory designation and stood for Zavod imeni Stalina, the honorific title of Artillery Factory No. 92, which first constructed this gun.
The BTR-80 is an 8×8 wheeled amphibious armoured personnel carrier (APC) designed in the USSR. It was adopted in 1985 and replaced the previous vehicles, the BTR-60 and BTR-70, in the Soviet Army. It was first deployed during the Soviet–Afghan War.
19. 57-мм пушка ЗиС-3
The ZiS-2 was a Soviet 57-mm anti-tank gun used during World War II. The ZiS-4 was a version of the gun meant to be installed in tanks. ZiS stands for Zavod imeni Stalina, the official title of Artillery Factory No. 92, which produced the gun first.
20. Губернаторский сад
Governor's Garden is a park located in the historical center of Nizhny Novgorod, within the Kremlin in Nizhny Novgorod. Designed in 1836 by Franz Semenovich Perzel, chief gardener of the Kremlin architectural expedition, the style is English.
21. Домик Каширина
Kashirin House is a museum located in Nizhny Novgorod, Postal Assembly, 21, at the home of his mother's grandfather, M. Gorky (A. M. Peshkov). Objects of cultural heritage of the people of the Russian Federation with federal significance.
22. Василий Маргелов
Vasily Filippovich Margelov was a Red Army General who was the commander of the Soviet Airborne Forces (VDV) from 1954 to 1959 and from 1961–1979. Margelov modernized the VDV and was a Hero of the Soviet Union.
23. Побег из ада
On 8 February 1945, 10 Soviet prisoners of war, led by fighter pilot M. P. Devyataev, escaped from the German concentration camp at the Penemyunde training ground aboard a captured German Heinkel He 111 bomber.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.