Explore interesting sights in Katowice, Poland. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 45 sights are available in Katowice, Poland.Sightseeing Tours in Katowice
Giszowiec is an eastern district of the city of Katowice, created as a coal miners' settlement in 1907. Initially consisting of about 3,300 miners and their families, the district's population have grown over the years to over 18,000. Although Giszowiec's architectural originality suffered major damages in the 1970s and 1980s due to large scale urbanization, its early unique character can be still felt in the surviving miners' housings, the marketplace, numerous individual buildings and structures, as well as the relatively well preserved general design of a "Garden city".
2. Kamienica Pod Butem
The tenement house at 6-8 3 Maja Street in Katowice – a historic residential and commercial tenement house, located at 6 and 8 3 Maja Street in Katowice, in the Śródmieście district. It is also called "Haus Kochmann" or "Kochmann's House", and it takes its current name from the bas-relief of a shoe on the coat of arms. The tenement house in its present shape was completed in 1907 in the Art Nouveau style with neo-Gothic and modernist elements, and its characteristic element is the decoration of the façade referring to oak. It is entered in the register of monuments.
3. Pomnik Powstańców Śląskich
The Silesian Insurgents' Monument in Katowice, southern Poland, is a monument to those who took part in the three Silesian Uprisings of 1919, 1920 and 1921, which aimed to make the region of Upper Silesia part of the newly independent Polish state. The monument was unveiled on 1 September 1967, and was designed by sculptor Gustaw Zemła and architect Wojciech Zabłocki. The wings symbolize the three uprisings, and the names of places where battles were fought are etched on the vertical slopes. The monument was funded by the people of Warsaw for Upper Silesia.
4. Kuria Metropolitalna
The Bishop's Palace in Katowice - a building erected in 1927–1933 intended for the seat of the bishops of the Diocese of Katowice and the Bishop's Curia, owned by the Archdiocese of Katowice. It is located at ul. Henryk Jordan 39. The area for the construction of the palace was transferred to the diocese of Katowice Claus-Hubert von Tiele-Winckler. It was designed by the creators of the archcathedral of Christ the King archcathedral, architects Zygmunt Gawlik and Franciszek Mączyński. It is currently the seat of the Archdiocesan Curia.
5. Kościół pw. Niepokalanego Poczęcia Najświętszej Maryi Panny
St. Mary's Church in Katowice is one of the oldest churches in Katowice, Poland, dating back to 19th century. This neo-Gothic church is located in the Śródmieście district.The architectural design was entrusted to Alexis Langer, a renowned architect from Breslau (Wrocław). Although the original plans envisioned a much grander scale, the final neo-Gothic building spans 43 meters in length and 31 meters in width. Its most distinctive feature is the 71-meter octagonal tower, a signature trademark of Langer's craftsmanship.
6. Kościół pw. Świętego Stanisława Kostki
The Church of St. Stanislaus Kostka in Katowice is a Roman Catholic parish church of St. Stanislaus Kostka parish located in Katowice, in the district of Giszowiec, at ul. The architect of the temple was Jerzy Krug, while the current interior decoration was designed by Helena Szuster. The church is a brick building, and adjacent to the church building is a bell tower equipped with two bells. Inside the church, on the side and back, there is a choir, while the ceiling of the church is coffered.
7. Plac Wolności
Liberty Square in Katowice – a city square located in the Katowice district of Śródmieście. It radiates from the following streets: 3 Maja running towards the Market Square, Sokolska leading towards Koszutka and Bogucice, Gliwicka running towards Załęż and further – Chorzów, as well as short Jana Matejki and Sądowa streets. The square has recreational functions, is the starting point of the demonstration, and is also an important transport hub, both for buses and trams.
Giraffe sculpture in the Silesian Park - one of the most famous and recognizable facilities in the Silesian Park. The image of giraffe on three legs is one of many outdoor sculptures in the Silesian Park, and also a symbol of the park. The giraffe is located at one of the main entrances to the Silesian Park, next to the bus and tram stop "Park Śląski Zoological Garden". The sculpture became the inspiration to name the alley leading to the Silesian zoo.
9. Park Giszowiecki
Park Giszowiecki in Katowice - a city park located in Katowice, in the central part of the Giszowiec district, located in the area of the Pod Lipami square and streets: Gościnna, Wesołowska and Działkowa, with an area of 3.378 ha. It was established together with the construction of the Patronacki housing estate in 1907–1910 according to the design of Emil and Georg Zillmann, and the current name was established on October 25, 2010.
10. Kościół świętego Józefa
Church of St. Józef in Katowice-Załęż – Roman Catholic parish church of St. Pauline Parish. Józef, located at Gliwicka Street 76 in Katowice, in the Załęże district. It was established in 1898–1900 as a voluntary church after the mining crash in the Cleophas mine of March 4, 1896. The Church was dedicated on 8 November 1900 and consecrated on 29 April 1902. The author of the Neo-Gothic church was created by Ludwig Schneider.
11. Old Timers Garage
Old Timers Garage is a theatre and music club located in Katowice, Poland. Old Timers Garage is located in the historic, renovated premises of the Piast Cinema. It is one of the most active independent cultural units in the region. Since November 2009, more than 600 cultural events have taken place in the club. On its stage, well-known stars of the Polish and foreign music scene have performed.
12. Kościół pw. Świętego Józefa Robotnika
The church of Saint Józef Robotnik in Katowice-Józefowiec-Roman Catholic parish church of the parish of St. Józef Robotnik, located in Katowice, in the Woolowiec-Józefowiec district, at the intersection of Józefowska and prof. J. Mikusiński. The church was built in the neo -Baroque style in 1935–1939. The designer of the temple is Jan Priest from Katowice.
13. Evangelical Cemetery
The Evangelical cemetery at Francuska Street in Katowice is a necropolis at Francuska Street in Katowice, owned by the Evangelical-Augsburg parish in Katowice. It stretches between the following streets: Francuska, Powstańców Śląskich and Konstantego Damrota, bordering the Catholic cemetery. In February 1993 it was entered into the register of monuments.
14. Kapliczka Matki Boskiej
The Chapel of the Mother of God in Katowice-Dęba – a historic, neo-Gothic chapel of the cottage type, located at the corner of Dębowa and Źródlana streets in Katowice, in the district of Dąb. It was founded in 1893 by Antoni and Józefa Kracel. It is located in the Roman Catholic parish of St. John and Paul the Martyrs.
15. Dom Oświatowy
Educational House - Silesian Library - building in Katowice, located in the city center at ul. French 12. One example of modernist architecture in Upper Silesia. His designers were architects Stanisław Tabeński and Józef Rybicki. The building was designed in 1928 in the style of functionalism, it was completed in 1934.
16. Cmentarz rzymskokatolicki
Catholic cemetery at ul. French in Katowice – necropolis founded in 1870 in connection with the construction of a church under the call of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is one of the oldest and most valuable in historical terms of necropolis in Katowice. It borders with the Evangelical cemetery located on the same street.
17. Izba Śląska
The Silesian Chamber is a museum in Katowice, in the Giszowiec district, at 3-3a Pod Lipami Square, presenting exhibits related to the culture and art of Upper Silesia, as well as paintings and memorabilia of the painter Ewald Gawlik. This seat is a branch of the Municipal Cultural Centre Szopienice-Giszowiec in Katowice.
18. Pomnik Henryka Sławika i Józsefa Antalla
Monument to Henryk Sławik and József Antall Senior in Katowice - a monument located in Katowice, located on the square in front of the International Congress Center. He is dedicated to Henry Sławik and József Antall Senior - the heroes of World War II, thanks to which at least 5,000 were saved. Polish Jews.
19. Silesian Freedom And Solidarity Centre
Museum – Chamber of Remembrance of the Uncle Mine in Katowice – a museum located in Katowice, in the area of Katowice, Kamienny Coal Mine “Wjuk” in the district of Brynów. Sacrificed memory of the pacification of the mine, which took place on December 16, 1981, after the introduction of martial law.
20. Pomnik Józefa Piłsudskiego
Monument to Marshal Józef Piłsudski - unveiled in 1993, a monument to Józef Piłsudski, located on Bolesław the Brave Square, in front of the pediment of the Silesian building of the Provincial Office in Katowice. The monument was placed back to the building of the former Provincial Trade Union Council.
21. Pomnik Harcerzy Września - Obrońców Katowic
Monument to the Scouts of September - unveiled on September 4, 1983 a monument commemorating the martyrdom of Silesian scouts, who in September 1939 resisted German soldiers and militants entering Katowice. The monument also commemorates scouts who fell or were murdered later in the German occupation.
22. Kaplica pw. Świętego Dobrego Łotra
The Chapel of the Good Thief in Katowice – a historic, Roman Catholic cemetery chapel in the cemetery of the parish of the Transfiguration, located at 32 Gliwicka Street in Katowice, in the Załęże district, right next to the border with the city center, in the so-called Załęskie Przedmieście.
23. Galeria Sztuki Współczesnej BWA
The BWA Contemporary Art Gallery in Katowice – contemporary art gallery was established in Katowice in August 1949, then as a subsidiary of the Central Office of Artistic Exhibitions. It is located at al. Wojciech Korfante 6. Opening hours of exhibitions: except Mondays; daily 10.00 - 18.00.
24. Museum of Katowice History
Museum of the History of Katowice - a local government cultural institution, whose tasks include taking care of the documentation of the past of Katowice and to disseminate the historical, artistic and aesthetic values of the city as part of the Upper Silesian, Polish and European heritage.
25. Park Załęski
Załęski Park in Katowice – a city park in the Katowice district of Załęże, at Gliwicka Street in the area of the intersection with Jana Pawła II Street, next to the Gliwicka Sports Centre, between the railway tracks of railway line No. 137 and the Municipal Kindergarten No. 39.
26. Archikatedra pw. Chrystusa Króla w Katowicach
Archikatedra Chrystusa Króla w Katowicach is a classicist and modernist archcathedral in Katowice-Śródmieście, Katowice, Poland. Constructed between 1927 and 1955, the Archcathedral of Christ the King is the largest archcathedral and cathedral in Poland, 120,000 metres cubed large.
Spodek is a multipurpose arena complex in Katowice, Poland, opened on 9 May 1971. Aside from the main dome, the complex includes a gym, an ice rink, a hotel and three large car parks. It was the largest indoor venue of its kind in Poland until it was surpassed by Tauron Arena in 2014.
28. Katowice Mountaineering Club
The Alpinist Monument in Katowice – a monument located in Katowice, located in Kościuszko Park, in the vicinity of the historic church of St. Michael the Archangel. This Obelisk commemorates tragically dead mountaineers – members of the Katowice Wysokogórski Club.
29. Kościół Podwyższenia Krzyża Świętego i Matki Bożej Uzdrowienia Chorych
The Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross and Our Lady of Healing of the sick in Katowice - the Roman Catholic parish church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross and Our Lady of Healing the sick at ul. He lives and at the Mysteri -League housing estate in Katowice.
30. Wojciech Korfanty
The Wojciech Korfanty Monument in Katowice is a monument to Wojciech Korfanty, unveiled on 19 June 1999, located on the Silesian Sejm Square, between the Silesian Voivodship Office and the Faculty of Philology of the University of Silesia in Katowice.
31. Kościół pw. Świętego Michała Archanioła
Church of St. Michael Archangel is one of the oldest buildings in Katowice. It's located in Kościuszko Park, where it was moved in 1938 from the village Syrynia, where it was originally constructed in 1510. It is under the invocation of St. Michael.
32. Budynek Łaźni Miejskiej
Municipal bath building in Katowice - public building at ul. Adam Mickiewicza 5 in Katowice, erected in 1894–1895 in an eclectic style, rebuilt in 1911 and in 1996–1997, entered in the register of immovable monuments of the Śląskie Voivodeship.
33. Garden of Lights: Piękna i Bestia
34. Jerzy Ziętek
Monument to General Jerzy Ziętek-a monument in Katowice-Śródmieście, unveiled on November 19, 2005, on the eve of the 20th anniversary of the death of former voivode General Jerzy Ziętek (Jorga), located at the Katowice roundabout of his name.
35. Pomnik Józefa Wieczorka
The Józef Wieczorek Monument in Katowice – a monument commemorating Józef Wieczorek, a miner of the "Giesche" mine, located at Zofia Nałkowska Street in the Janów-Nikiszowiec district, opposite the Emil and Georg Zillmann Square.
36. plac ks. kard. Augusta Hlonda
Cardinal August Hlonda Square in Katowice - a square located in the Śródmieście district in Katowice, in the city center. It is located between the following streets: Mikołowska, Henryka Jordan, Głowacki and J. Poniatowski.
37. Galeria Artystyczna
The Artists' Gallery is a gallery located in the Koszutka district of Grunwaldzki Square in Katowice. The gallery consists of busts of well-known and meritorious creators and artists, the aim of which is to commemorate them.
38. Wieża spadochronowa
Parachute Tower in Katowice is a 35-metre tall lattice parachute tower built in 1937 for training parachute jumps. It was used in the first days of World War II by Germany's 73rd Infantry Division as an observation tower.
39. Kościół świętego Szczepana
The Kościół św. Szczepana or Saint Stephen's Church is a church in Katowice, Silesian Voivodship, Poland. It is dedicated to Saint Stephen and located at 50°16′9″N 19°2′17″E on Leopold Markiefki street.
40. Jan Paweł II
The Monument of Pope John Paul II is a monument in Katowice, Poland, located in the north-west corner of the Cathedral Square in Katowice. On the opposite side of Powstańców Street there is John Paul II Square.
41. Śląski Ogród Zoologiczny
42. Plac Grunwaldzki
Grunwaldzki Square in Katowice – a square located in Katowice district Koszutka, in the northern part of the city. Located between Sokolska Street, Gustaw Morcinka Street and Władysław Broniewski Street.
43. Pałac Młodzieży im. Aleksandra Kamińskiego
Youth Palace prof. Aleksander Kamiński in Katowice - an outbuilding of the city of Katowice. Pedagogical supervision over the Palace of Youth is exercised by the Silesian School Superintendent in Katowice.
The Family Monument in Katowice is a monument in the Koszutka district of Katowice, located in the western part of Grunwaldzki Square, at the intersection of Sokolska Street and Gustawa Morcinka Street.
45. Pomnik Powstańców Śląskich w Nikiszowcu
Monument to the Silesian Powstańców in Katowice-Nikiszowiec-a monument commemorating the Silesian Insurgents, located on the square at Zamkowa Street in Katowice, in the Janów-Nikiszowiec district.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.