Explore interesting sights in Trondheim, Norway. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 22 sights are available in Trondheim, Norway.Sightseeing Tours in Trondheim
1. Nidaros CathedralBook Ticket*
Nidaros Cathedral is a Church of Norway cathedral located in the city of Trondheim in Trøndelag county. It is built over the burial site of King Olav II, who became the patron saint of the nation, and is the traditional location for the consecration of new kings of Norway. It was built over a 230-year period, from 1070 to 1300 when it was substantially completed. However additional work, additions and renovations have continued intermittently since then, including a major reconstruction starting in 1869 and completed in 2001.
Hornemansgården located in Kongens gate 7 is one of Trondheim's large 18th century wooden pals and fills the entire quarter between the square, Kongens gate, Vår Lady cemetery and Presidentveita. The quarter originated as a result of Cicignon's regulation after the city fire in 1681. Here Petter Sylow, the agent's on the county writer, erected a farm that burned in 1708. The entire quarter was left uninhabited until 1720, when Stadsfysikus and Lagmann Paul Dons (1689–1748) bought all Auction, except the eastern part towards the cemetery. Dons later took over the rest of the quarter and erected several other buildings. The main building still exists as the ground floor of the current Hornemansgården. There was a building on one floor along Kongens gate from the eastern main entrance to the corner towards the square, with a side wing towards the square. Double cuisine walls at both ends confirm that this house was preserved and built when the entire farm was totally changed later. The farm that Dons listed was described in the fire rate from 1766, the year after a new owner had taken over:
Stiftsgårdsparken is a park adjacent to Stiftsgården in Midtbyen in Trondheim. Stiftsgården is 3,000 m² and was previously closed. During the renovation of the park in the period 1996 - 1997, the park was opened and incorporated into a continuous walk between Bispegata and Virgo. During the renovation, the park was adapted to the historical elements such as original axes, vegetation and fences. The design consists of a circular space with a fountain with benches and planting. Around the fountain and through the park there are established walking zones, which consist of both gravel trails and slate. The park's royal monument of King Olav V is designed by Harald Wårvik. In 2004, the massive fence between the park and the summer road was removed and replaced with wrought iron fence with gate, so that the park got direct access to the square.
4. Ilen kirke
Ilen Church is a parish church of the Church of Norway in Trondheim municipality in Trøndelag county, Norway. It is located in the Ila area in the city of Trondheim, on the 250-metre (820 ft) wide isthmus between the river Nid and the Trondheimsfjord. It is the church for the Ilen parish which is part of the Heimdal og Byåsen prosti (deanery) in the Diocese of Nidaros. The gray, stone church was built in a cruciform style in 1889 by the local building company of Jacob Digre, according to a design by Trondheim based architect Eugene Sissenére. The church seats about 550 people, although it originally fit about 900. The seating was reduced to meet the fire regulations.
5. Nordenfjeldske Kunstindustrimuseum
Nordenfjeldske Kunstindustri Museum is a museum in Trondheim, founded in 1893. The museum has collections of older and recent crafts, of which about 15% are exhibited in the museum’s premises in Munkegaten. The lower floor is dedicated to the style historical collections, including Trønderske silver works from the 16th and 18th centuries and Norwegian glass works from the 18th century. In 1907, Belgian architect Henri van der Velde designed an interior for the museum that today forms the core of a rich art nouveau exhibition. The modern collection includes Scandinavian design from 1950-1965, a jewelry collection, and over 20 carpets by Hannah Ryggen.
The Klemenskirken was a medieval church of Trondheim, and was the first church built in Trondheim. According to the larger saga about Olav Tryggvason, the church was first erected when Olav Tryggvason built Nidaros and built his royal estate at the Skipakrok around 997. This also wrote Snorre Sturlason in his royal sagas. After Olav's death, the sons of Håkon Sigurdsson let the church decay, and it was burned down by Svein Håkonsson during an attack on the city in 1015. The church was then rebuilt the following year by Olav the Holy, and stood until it burned in 1344.
7. Vår Frue kirke
Vår Frue Church is a medieval parish church of the Church of Norway in Trondheim municipality in Trøndelag county, Norway. It is located in the downtown Midtbyen area of the city of Trondheim, just a few blocks north of the Nidaros Cathedral. It is one of the two churches for the Nidaros og Vår Frue parish which is part of the Nidaros domprosti (arch-deanery) in the Diocese of Nidaros. The gray, stone church was built in a long church design in the late 1100s using plans drawn up by Bjørn Sigvardsson. The church seats about 540 people.
8. Trondheim Kunstmuseum Bispegata
The Trondheim Art Museum is an art museum located in Trondheim in Sør-Trøndelag county, Norway. The museum shows temporary exhibitions of international and regional art in dialogue with works from the museum's collection. The museum possesses Norway's third largest public art collection with an emphasis on art since 1850. The permanent collection contains iconic works such as Harald Sohlberg's Natt (1904), Georg Jacobsen's Haren (1922), and Peder Balke's Nordkapp (1870s).
Rockheim is Norway's national museum for popular music from the 1950s to the present. It is a division of Museene i Sør-Trøndelag and is housed in a former grain warehouse in Trondheim. It opened in 2010; since 2013, the director has been Sissel Guttormsen. The museum also has a virtual presence, Virtuelle Rockheim, which launched in 2009, and since 2011 musicians and groups have been chosen for the Rockheim Hall of Fame.
10. NTNU. Main Administration Building
The main building on Campus NTNU Gløshaugen in Trondheim is one of the first four buildings built for the Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTH), all designed by architect Bredo Greve. The building was inaugurated when NTH opened in 1910, although only the approximately 105 meter long main wing to the north was completed. The last of Greve's three planned wings to the south was completed in 1915.
11. Norsk Døvemuseum
Norsk Døvemuseum is a museum in Trondheim, Norway. It is a division of Trøndelag Folkemuseum. The museum is located in Rødbygget, which was drawn by Christian Heinrich Grosch. It was the first Neo-Gothic building in Trondheim, built in 1855. The museum was established in 1992, and rebuilt in 2009. Today the upper floors hold offices, and a café is located on the first floor.
12. The NTNU Museum of Natural History and Archaeology
The NTNU University Museum in Trondheim is one of seven Norwegian university museums with natural and cultural history collections and exhibits. The museum has research and administrative responsibility over archaeology and biology in Central Norway. Additionally, the museum operates comprehensive community outreach programs and has exhibits in wooden buildings in Kalvskinnet.
The Norwegian National Museum of Justice, Norwegian: 'Justismuseet', until 2016: Norsk Rettsmuseum, is a public museum of penal justice and law enforcement in Trondheim, Norway. From 2001-2017, the director of the museum was ohan Sigfred Helberg. From 2017-2018, the director was Brynja Birgisdottir and since 2019, has been Åshild Karevold. It is housed in a former prison.
14. Iladalen park
Iladalen park is a park and recreation area at Ila and Ilsvika in Trondheim, Norway. The park was established through the reopening of Ilabekken in 2006 to 2008, which had been laid in pipes in the lower parts of Ila and Ilsvika since the first half of the 1900s. Iladalen park is one of three nearby city parks at Ila, where the other two are Ilaparken and Skansen park.
15. Bunker 18 på Persaunet
Persaunet camp was a military camp located at Persaunet in northeastern Trondheim, not far from Tyholt. The camp was built by German forces during World War II as a submarine crews from the 13th submarine flotilla at the Dora bunkers. After the war, it was taken over by the Norwegian Navy and recently served as a stand quarter for Sør-Trøndelag Regiment.
The Exercise House was built in 1805–1806 by General and Architect Nicolai Wilhelm Gedde as an Essererhus for the soldiers in Trondheim. The house contained a gymnasium of 350 sqm. The house is built with a roof and in red bricks. From 1945, the building was built with the Bakery and Munkegata no. 6 District Command Trøndelag's headquarters.
Olavshallen was built in 1989 as a concert hall and is named after a historical tradition in Trondheim, Norway, the St. Olav tradition. The foundation stone was laid by HM King Olav V 22 July 1988. Olavshallen opened for its first concert 17 September 1989 with jazz pianist Oscar Peterson and the official opening was held on 21 September.
The National Region Exhibition is an exhibition for the public in the Archdiocese of Trondheim where the Kingdom of Norway's regalis and coronation equipment are shown. Exhibition was opened on June 22, 2006, on the day a hundred years after the coronation of King Haakon VII and Queen Maud.
The Monkegata No. 6 was built in 1812-1814 for the Depot of the Engineering Weapons. The building was also used as a local for the under-officer school. From 1930, the school was also a command school, under the name 5th Division School. Schools were moved in 1975.
The Archbishop's Palace in Trondheim is a castle and palace in the city of Trondheim, located just south of the Nidaros Cathedral. For hundreds of years, the castle was the seat, residence and administrative center of the Archbishop of Nidaros.
"The Armoury" Army Museum in Trondheim is a military museum in the Archbishop's Palace (Erkebispegården) in Trondheim, Norway. Today it is a Norwegian army museum as well as a resistance museum, emphasizing the military history of Trøndelag.
Go' Day is a sculpture of sculptor Tone Thiis Schjetne. It is a total of about 175 cm high and cast in bronze. It was made in 1980 and is found in two copies: One stands in Stavanger and one in Trondheim.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.