Explore interesting sights in Zutphen, Netherlands. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 7 sights are available in Zutphen, Netherlands.Sightseeing Tours in Zutphen
The Spanjaardspoort or Spanish Gate was the front gate of the Nieuwstadspoort. This main gate was a square gatehouse from around 1325 that was provided with flanking semicircular towers around 1400. In 1536 a barbican was built in front of the front gate with a diameter of 33 meters, with at least one, but possibly two cannon casemates. The barbican was demolished in 1857 and excavated in 2000 and 2022. The Old New City Gate was finally demolished in 1894. The gate was first mentioned in 1393. in Zutphen, Netherlands. The remains of it, the front gate and part of the shield wall, are called Spanish Gate as an ensemble. The front gate is protected as a national monument and was restored in 1905 and in 1951-1952.
2. TOP Zutphen
A Tourist Transfer Point (TOP) is a 'natural junction', where various cycling, sailing, skating and walking routes start. Each TOP is recognizable by its landmark, a kind of obelisk is used in the east of the country, a grass neck in the Green Heart and a remarkably large information column in the Gooi & Vecht region and the Rivierenland region. At TOPs there are often also a few seats, a bicycle rack and a signpost. TOPs in the Gooi & Vecht region are also always equipped with a bicycle rental, catering, (free) toilets, an ANWB Bicycle Service Box and a VVV information point.
The Gideon monument in Zutphen is a monument in memory of the Zutphen victims of the Second World War. The monument is a masonry fountain with a column in the middle, on which stands the statue of Gideon, a biblical figure who symbolizes the resistance of a small group against a force majeure. The monument was designed by Paul Grégoire, ir. A. J. van der Steur and G. H. Kleinhout. The unveiling took place on April 10, 1950. The monument has been given a place in the monastery courtyard near the Broederenkerk on the Rozengracht.
The Drogenapstoren, originally called the Saltpoort (salt gate), was built in 1444-1446 as the city gate of Zutphen. It only served as a city gate for a short time because it was bricked up in 1465. After the city musician Tonis Drogenap moved into the building in the mid-16th century, the gatehouse was named Drogenapstoren.
5. Sint Walburgiskerk
The Walburgiskerk, locally known as Walburgkerk or Walburgskerk, is a church on the 's-Gravenhof in Zutphen, the oldest part of which dates from the 11th century. The present church dates for the most part from the first half of the 13th century; Since the 16th century, the exterior has changed little.
6. Windmotor Zutphen
The Windmotor Stokebrandsweerd is an American wind engine in the floodplains of the river IJssel near Zutphen. The mill, built in 1927, was in use until 1968 to drain the floodplains, after which the mill was decommissioned by, among other things, the pumping of the summer dike.
The Berkelpoort is a water gate and part of the Zutphense city wall and located on the eastern edge of the city center, over the small river Berkel. The gate was built in the 14th century to connect the two settlements on both sides of the Berkel.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.