Explore interesting sights in Nijmegen, Netherlands. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 14 sights are available in Nijmegen, Netherlands.Sightseeing Tours in Nijmegen
1. Fort Beneden LentBook Ticket*
Fort Beneden Lent or Nieuw Knodsenburg is a fort on the north bank of the Waal west of the village of Lent. The fort was built in 1862. First to defend the city of Nijmegen and later to protect the railway bridge over the Waal. The fort consists of a bomb-proof accommodation building surrounded by an earthen redoute and a moat. The building has been managed by Staatsbosbeheer since 1983.
hunnerberg is a residential area and gypsum reservoir located on the banks of the river. The location along the wheels makes this low mountain, like the proximity of the head plateau, a very strategic location. This can be seen in many archaeological discoveries, including two Roman castras, which include Roman aqueducts, and many discoveries in the late Neolithic Age, Bronze Age and late Middle Ages. The fort excavated during construction appears to have been built on the remains of the Tenth Legion camp. In their mountainous areas, the streets are named after cities such as Charm, Yugni Lucker and Klass North Rhine-Westphalia.
3. Joods monument
The Jewish monument in the lower city of Nijmegen is a bronze statue of a grieving woman. It was created by sculptor Paul de Swaaf. On May 4, 1995, the monument, made in memory of the more than four hundred Jewish Nijmegen residents who were killed in the extermination camps during the Second World War, was unveiled. In memory of the unveiling, the intersection on which the statue is located was named after one of the youngest Jewish victims in Nijmegen: Kitty (Kaatje) the Wise. This young woman has become the symbol of the Jewish people of Nijmegen who were deported and never returned.
4. Maria Geboortekerk
The Maria Geboortekerk is a Roman Catholic church building in Nijmegen. The church is located on the Berg en Dalseweg and on the Mariaplein named after the church, and belongs to the Hunnerberg district. She is dedicated to Mary-Nativity. The church is built in neo-Gothic style. The architects were Johannes and Jules Kayser. The building is a national monument and belongs to the protected cityscape "19th-century city interpretation". In front of the church is a statue of Mary by Albert Meertens.
The Gunpowder Tower, a relic of an ancient river ditch wall, is located on the park road and on the edge of Chronicle Park. The tower was founded in 1426 and is about 30 meters high. In the 19th century, when fortifications were sold, the state deliberately retained ownership of the towers to prevent them from being demolished. The tower was not owned by the National Building Services until January 15, 2016, but was subsequently moved to the National Monuments Organization (nmo).
6. De Witte Molen
The Witte Molen is the oldest of the two windmills still in existence in Nijmegen in the Dutch province of Gelderland. It is located on the Looimolenweg, more than a kilometer outside the center towards slightly to the side of the road to Grave on the edge of the hill that offers a view over the Nijmegen district de Wolfskuil. It is a large round stone scaffolding mill, covered with roofing felt and with a flight of 25.60 m.
7. Mariken van Nieumeghen
Mariken van Nieumeghen (Mary of Nijmegen) is a miracle play recorded in a Middle Dutch text from the early 16th century. The protagonist Mariken of the story spends seven years with the devil, after which she is miraculously released. The oldest edition dates from 1515 and was printed by Willem Vorsterman. Linguistic evidence suggests it was written by a poet from an Antwerp chamber of rhetoric.
8. Sint-Antonius van Padua
The Antonius van Paduakerk is a Roman Catholic church on the Groesbeekseweg in Nijmegen. The neo-Gothic building was built in 1916-1917 to a design by the Rotterdam architect Jos Margry. The church is dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua. The construction was supported by the Church Building Foundation, which aimed to build churches dedicated to this saint.
The Barbarossa ruin in the Dutch city of Nijmegen, also called St. Martin's Chapel, is a remnant of the Valkhof, a palace rebuilt by Emperor Frederik Barbarossa in 1155. The ruin is an apse made of tuff and contains spolia of various architectural styles from Roman and Carolingian times.
10. Hollands Duits Gemaal
The Hollandsch-Duitsch pumping station is a pumping station located at the beginning of the Ooijpolder near Nijmegen. In 1933 the pumping station was built to drain water from the Ooijpolder and the adjacent German polder via 't Meertje in the Waal.
The Kerkboog, also called Stevenspoortje, is a gatehouse in Nijmegen that connects the Grote Markt with the Sint-Stevenskerkhof behind it and provides access to the Stevenskerk. Initially, this building was part of the Nijmegen cloth hall.
12. Park Brakkenstein
Park Brakkenstein is a park in the Heijendaal district of the Dutch city of Nijmegen. The park is part of the former Brakkesteyn estate. The park is sandwiched between the Nijmegen - Venlo railway line, Radboud University and d'Almarasweg.
The Kronenburgerpark is a park in the center of Nijmegen, the Netherlands. It is close to the Central Railway Station and the Lange Hezelstraat. Where the park touches the Parkweg are the remains of the medieval walls with the Kruittoren.
The Jewish Namur Monument is a monument on the Kitty de Wijzeplaats in Nijmegen, Gelderland. On April 26, 2015, the plaque was placed in memory of the Nijmegen Jewish population who died during the Second World War in the Netherlands.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.