Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Middelburg:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Explore interesting sights in Middelburg, Netherlands. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 6 sights are available in Middelburg, Netherlands.List of cities in Netherlands Sightseeing Tours in Middelburg
Middelburg Town Hall is situated at the market of Middelburg, Zeeland. It is considered one of the finest Gothic buildings in the Netherlands. Construction began in 1452 and was supervised by several generations of the Flemish family of architects Keldermans. Construction was completed in 1520, the town hall received a facade with Gothic windows, red-white shutters, smaller turrets and twenty-five statues of Zeeland's counts and countesses. The building has one main tower, which the Middelburgers call 'Malle Betje'. This mocking name comes from the fact it used to run behind the town's other clock tower, the 'lange Jan'. A meat-auction or 'meathall' used to be situated in the building, which had a separate entrance. Whereas the town hall itself is still used for weddings, since 2004 its spaces are in use by the University College Roosevelt, the local university. The former meat hall has been in use as an exhibition space for the SBKM since 1980.
2. De Seismolen
The Seismolen is a (former) flour mill on the Seisbolwerk in the Dutch city of Middelburg. It is a round stone scaffolding mill that was built in 1728 and is therefore the oldest of the mills still present in Middelburg. After a severe storm in November 1940 and subsequent neglect, the mill fell into disrepair. From 1955, when the mill came into the ownership of the municipality, the masonry was restored. Only after a restoration in 2000-2001 did the mill become grindable again: in the Seismolen there are 2 pairs of 16th artificial and 1 couple of 16der blue stones.
The Koepoort in Middelburg is, of the eight city gates that were once present, the only one who has been preserved in its entirety. The gate, built in Lodewijk XIV style, was designed by architect Jan Pieter van Baurscheidt the young and city architect Jan de Munck. The gate was built in the first half of the eighteenth century and was the successor of various former umbrella species. Where the earlier gates served as defenses, the new gate mainly served as a Sierpoort.
4. De Hoop
De Hoop is a former windmill in the Zeeland village of Sint Laurens. The mill was built in 1721 as a flour mill and burned in 1943 because the catch warmed up. The mill was designated a national monument in 2002 because in the past this mill could be driven by wind power as well as on a diesel engine as well as on an electric motor.
The synagogue of Middelburg is located in the area between the Sint Janstraat and the Herenstraat. It was built in 1705 in the backyard of the home of the Jewish merchant Benjamin Levie. The entrance is now in the Herenstraat. It is the first synagogue to be built on Dutch soil outside amsterdam.
6. Jan Morks
Johannes (Jan) Morks was a Dutch composer, music teacher, conductor, organist, carillonneur and clarinettist. He was best known as a conductor and composer of the melody of the Zeeland national anthem on a text by Daniël Adrianus Poldermans.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.