Book tickets, guided tours and activities in Leiden.
Guided Free Walking Tours
Book free guided walking tours in Leiden.
Explore interesting sights in Leiden, Netherlands. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 30 sights are available in Leiden, Netherlands.Sightseeing Tours in Leiden
1. Leiden American Pilgrim Museum
The Leiden American Pilgrim Museum is a small museum in the Dutch city of Leiden dedicated to the Pilgrim Fathers. These Separatists or English Dissenters were religious refugees who had fled England to Amsterdam in 1608 and moved to Leiden the next year. They lived and worked in that city for about 12 to 20 years. In 1620, their emigration began. They left Leiden by canal, going to Delfshaven where they embarked on the Speedwell, which took them to Southampton. But the Speedwell proved leaky and had to be sold, so they transferred to the Mayflower. The Mayflower undertook the famous voyage to New England in 1620 alone. In the 19th century the colonists' first harvest festival after their arrival at Plymouth Colony was identified as the origin of the annual Thanksgiving celebration in the United States.
The Jerusalemhof is a courtyard on the former Cellebroersgracht, which has been the Kaiserstraat since it was filled in 1875, in the city center of the Dutch city of Leiden. It is the oldest surviving courtyard in Leiden. It was founded on 16 May 1467 by Wouter IJsbrandszoon in honour of God and the twelve apostles on the occasion of his visit to the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. Originally, the courtyard consisted of 13 cottages intended for thirteen poor men, who are honorable, and of good syn façade. A possible wife was also allowed to live with her, because then she could take care of her husband. When her husband died, she had to leave. The fact that a courtyard was intended for men and not for women was remarkable, because that had never happened before in the Netherlands.
3. Samuel de Zee's hofje
Samuel de Zee's hof is a courtyard in the Dutch city of Leiden. The courtyard was founded in 1723 for destitute family members. The complex consists of 21 houses and is located on the Samuel de Zee's court. The entrance to the courtyard is located on the Doezastraat between house numbers 14 and 18 and contains the text: "Does god only give the honor for good dognie rich neeven ende nigten did Samuel de Zee dit bij sijn leeven stigten, 1723". After the entrance there is a gate with the text: "So was my sin: A yder talks after his understanding ~ but so it is not to your pleasure blyft then buyten k can with my gate not sluyten your mouth 1723 ~".
4. TOP Zoeterwoude
A tourist transfer point (TOP) is a 'natural junction', where various cycling, sailing, skate and walking routes start. Each top is recognizable by the landmark, a kind of obelisk is used in the east of the country, a grass hall in the Groene Hart and a strikingly large information column in the Gooi & Vecht region and Rivierenland region. At tops there are often also a few seats, a bicycle rack and a signpost. Tops in the Gooi & Vecht region are also always equipped with a bicycle rental, hospitality, (free) toilets, an ANWB bicycle service box and a VVV information point.
5. Barend van Namenhofje
Barend van Namenhof is a courtyard at Hoefstraat 12 in the Dutch city of Leiden. The courtyard was founded in 1730 by merchant Barend van Namen for Reformed childless couples over the age of fifty. The courtyard consists of 12 houses. Three courtyard houses were designed by W.C. Mulder. The court was rebuilt in 1788. In 1915 it was completely renovated at the expense of regent C.W.J.W. Pape. This gave it its rich, distinguished impression, which is why it was also called "villahof". The courtyard has a regent's room and has the status of a national monument.
The Schachenhof is a courtyard in the Dutch city of Leiden, the province of South Holland. The hofje is located on the Middestste canal. The Schachenhof was founded in 1664 in the name of the orphan boy Theunis Jacobsz. Van der Schacht. His will stated that a courtyard with 12 houses had to be built on the middle canal. He demanded that residents aged 40 and older were allowed to live there for free and there was a preference for family members of Van der Schacht and residents who had grown up in the orphanage of Leiden, just like Van de Schacht.
The Rodenburgermolen in the Dutch city of Leiden is a polder mill built in 1704, which Bentemde de Rodenburgerpolder. The mill had to be rebuilt in 1893, when the lightning struck and the mill burned out. Instead of the rebuilding, cast iron wheels were used in the rebuilding. The mill was in operation until 1953; In 1959 the interior was removed, with the exception of the cast iron upper wheel and the remarkable catch, which stands in the middle between a block and a hoop catch. The scoop wheel was approximately four meters away from the mill.
Bethlehemshof is a courtyard on the Levendaal in the Dutch city of Leiden. It was founded in 1630 by the Leiden merchant Gerrit Frankens van Hoogmade, who also chose the name of the Hofje. In 1701, the Baptists of this courtyard joined the Hofje de Houcksteen located on the Levendaal, but the board remained separate. In 1811, for financial reasons, both courtyards were merged under the name Bethlehem. In 1897 the part on the Laartaal was provided with a contemporary facade with an upper floor. The courtyard was restored in 1978.
9. Museum De Lakenhal
Museum De Lakenhal is the city museum of fine art and history in Leiden, Netherlands. One highlight is its collection of fijnschilder paintings from the Dutch Golden Age. Just like the city, the museum combines a classical appearance with a contemporary character. The broad collection ranges from early works by Rembrandt van Rijn and Lucas van Leyden's Last Judgement to modern classics of De Stijl and artworks created by contemporary artists such as Claudy Jongstra, Atelier van Lieshout and many others.
The Vevelinghofje is a courtyard in the Dutch city of Leiden, the province of South Holland. The hofje is located on the Gedempte 4th Binnenvestgracht. The presentation was founded in 1655 and built in 1666, commissioned by the Leiden merchants Jacob and Charles Tevel. During the plague epidemic of 1655, Charles Tevel stated in his will that after his death Jacob had to build a courtyard with 12 houses for childless couples older than 20. Jacob and his wife later had this expanded to twenty houses.
11. Kapel van Onze Lieve Vrouw van de Rozenkrans
The Chapel Our Lady of the Holy Rosary is a modern, traditionalist Catholic church in the Dutch city of Leiden. The church was built in 1961 on behalf of the Apostolic Society. The church, located on the Sumatra street in the Leiden district of the Kooi, is a design by A. Dekker and P. van der Sterre and is dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary. The Church is served by the Priest Brotherhood Saint Pius X, a traditional movement within the Catholic Church.
The war memorial in Voorschoten is a column from Euville to a design by sculptor Gra Rueb. This includes a plaque with an image of two angels with a wreath. The text on the column is: those who fell Henryc A. Adamsky Leendert Bouthoorn Franciscus C.H. Everstijn Teunis de Groot Frans W. Kusters Johannes M. Lamboo Abraham Limburg Willem van Mulligen Herman H. Schouten Johannes C. Wagtendonk Koenraad M. Wolleswinkel Evert Zuidmeer 1940–1945
13. Naturalis Biodiversity Centre
Naturalis Biodiversity Center is a national museum of natural history and a research center on biodiversity in Leiden, Netherlands. It was named the European Museum of the Year 2021. Although its current name and organization are relatively recent, the history of Naturalis can be traced back to the early 1800s. Its collection includes approximately 42 million specimens, making it one of the largest natural history collections in the world.
14. Zelden van Passe
The rarely of passe is a polder mill just west of Zoeterwoude-Dorp, along the A4. The mill dates from 1642 and was built for the drainage of the Groote Westeindsche Polder on the Boezem. Until 1952, the mill De Polder tied. The mill has been in possession of the Rijnlandse Molenstichting since 1962. The mill is grinding, but only bumps on a voluntary basis. In the mill there is an iron scoop wheel with a diameter of 5.90 m.
15. Moeder Godskerk
The Mother of God Church is a former Roman Catholic church at the Baron Schimmelpenninck van der Oyelaan 18 in Voorschoten. The church is on the concept heritage list for visual properties of the municipality of Voorschoten. The church was initiated in 1967 by the first Bishop of Rotterdam, M. Jansen. In 2016, she was withdrawn from Catholic worship, but in 2019 it was reopened by GODcentre, a pentecostal municipality.
The Hartebrugkerk is a church in the Dutch city of Leiden. The church is part of the Saints Peter and Paul parish. The official name is our Lady Immaculate. The church is named after the bridge with the same name at the time. Among the people of Leiden, the church is also known as the Coelijkerk, according to the last word of the Latin spell above the entrance, Hic Domus dei Est et Porta Coeli.
17. Het Leids Wevershuis
Museum Het Leids Wevershuis consists of one of the last remaining "weavers' homes" (1560) in Leiden, Netherlands. The exterior, the large antique loom (1830) and the interior, are testimony of the once flourishing textile industry around Leiden, in particular during the 16th and 17th century, when many home weavers supplied the draper's guild with high quality woolen cloth.
18. Moskee Al Hijra
The Al Hera-Moskee is a mosque in the Dutch city of Leiden, which had been located since around 1982 at Rembrandtstraat 10. Because the building became too small for the Moroccan religious community, new construction was opened on Ter Haarkade in 2018. The name Al Hera or Al Hidjra refers to the migration of Mohammed and his followers from Mecca to Medina in 622.
19. De Heesterboom
D'Heesterboom, including the Heesterboom, is a sawmill in the Dutch city of Leiden. He is one of the Top 100 of the National Service for Monument Care. The mill stands at the Houthandel Noordman on the Haagweg on a plot on the Oude Rijn/Galgewater. The mill has three saw windows. The middle window consists of a saw and shell window.
20. Hooglandse Kerk
The Hooglandse Kerk is a Gothic church in Leiden. Its earliest parts date back to the last quarter of the fourteenth century. Most of the current structure dates from the fifteenth century. The brick church was dedicated to St. Pancras and today serves parishioners of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands.
The Paviljoenshof is a complex homes in the Dutch city of Leiden. The Court can be reached by a gate between the Villa De Kroon and Café Eigenzorg café on Stationsweg, named to the client Arnold Kroon. The complex consists of 33 contiguous courtyard houses spread over 4 rows with a common inner garden.
22. Joseph Scaliger
Joseph Justus Scaliger was a Franco-Italian Calvinist religious leader and scholar, known for expanding the notion of classical history from Greek and Ancient Roman history to include Persian, Babylonian, Jewish and Ancient Egyptian history. He spent the last sixteen years of his life in the Netherlands.
23. National Museum of Ethnology
The National Museum of Ethnology, is an ethnographic museum in the Netherlands located in the university city of Leiden. As of 2014, the museum, along with the Tropenmuseum in Amsterdam, and the Africa Museum in Berg en Dal, together make up the National Museum of World Cultures.
24. François Houttijnshof
François Houttijnshof is a courtyard in the Dutch city of Leiden. The courtyard is located on Hooigracht 81 and contains 9 houses. In 1736 it was decided to found the courtyard, the completion was a year later. It has a sober entrance and a stone with inscription 1737.
25. Hortus Botanicus Leiden
The Hortus botanicus of Leiden is the oldest botanical garden of the Netherlands, and one of the oldest in the world. It is located in the southwestern part of the historical centre of the city, between the Academy building and the old Leiden Observatory building.
26. De Burcht
The Burcht van Leiden is an old shell keep in Leiden constructed in the 11th century. It is located at the spot where two tributaries of the Rhine come together, the Oude Rijn and the Nieuwe Rijn. The structure is on top of a motte, and is today a public park.
27. Evangelisch Lutherse kerk
Evangelical-Lutheran Church is a church in the Dutch city of Leiden. The church is located on Hooglandse Kerkgracht 26. The building dates from 1618 and is therefore the oldest church building that was built in the city for the Protestant service.
The Laurentiuskerk or Dorpskerk is a Protestant church at Dorpsstraat 17 in Zoeterwoude-Dorp, South Holland. Both the church building and the west tower were placed on the list of monuments in 1968 as national monuments.
30. Sint Annahof of Joostenpoort
The Saint Annahof or Joostenpoort is a court on the Zeigersteeg in the city of Leiden. The Court also has a (borgeous) port at the end of the Doelengracht, which is referred to as the 5th Inner Investment Moat.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.