27 Sights in Arnhem, Netherlands (with Map and Images)
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Arnhem:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Explore interesting sights in Arnhem, Netherlands. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 27 sights are available in Arnhem, Netherlands.List of cities in Netherlands Sightseeing Tours in Arnhem
Park Sonsbeek in Arnhem is the most famous park in this city. The park is named after Anna van Sonsbeeck, a considerable 'lady' in the Arnhem community in the 17th century. Anna's father, Franciscus van Sonsbeeck, comes from the German town of Sonsbeck or Sonsbeeck. Above the main entrance of the Lutheran church in Sonsbeeck, built in 1655, the city coat of arms is still found: a sun with some corrugated lines that represent a stream. The park is 67 hectares and borders in the north on the Zijpendaal and Gulden Soil parks. These three parks close closely together and together are about 200 hectares. In the east, Sonsbeek borders the Sonsbeekkwartier and St. Marten districts, almost in the south on the center and in the west on the Burgemeesterswijk. The area is a protected cityscape.
2. Lutherse Kerk
The Lutheran Church is a former Lutheran church building on the Korenmarkt in the Dutch city of Arnhem. The church was built on the location where the bontenburch house had stood until then. In this house, which became increasingly dilapidated, Lutheran faith meetings were held since 1657. In the period 1735 - 1737, the hall church was built in classicist architectural style to probably the design of the Arnhem architect Leendert Viervant the Elder. The façade is set up according to the Ionic architectural style with a large pediment at the top. It features decorations in the Louis XIV style. The capital rests on columns that have been imitated around the building. Above the entrance is an image of a swan as a sign of the Lutheran faith.
3. Presickhaeffs Huys
The Presickhaeffs Huys is a medieval house in the center of Arnhem on Kerkstraat, which according to research was built in the year 1354. In 1555 a T-shaped extension took place at the rear with a beautiful courtyard; From 1606 the Nassausch Widowenhuis moved into the building. Then it was a tea house in 1795 and from 1915-1944 a café with meeting rooms. Partly due to the many destructions caused in the center of Arnhem during the Battle of Arnhem in the Second World War, this is one of the few medieval houses that Arnhem still owns. The house, near the Sint-Eusebiuskerk, had its own courtyard. Previously the house continued to the Kingstraat behind. The building is a national monument.
4. Roman Castellum Castra Herculis
The castellum Meinerwijk was a fortress in Roman Netherlands, which was discovered during archaeological excavations in 1978 and later in 1991 in the floodplains of the Rhine near Meinerswijk near Arnhem. The castellum near Meinerswijk was probably built between the year 10 and 20 by the Roman general Germanicus on the south side of the Rhine. This wooden fortress protected Roman navigation on the Rhine and possibly here was the Drususgrachten, which had been dug from the Rhine to the north. In Roman times, the Oude IJssel flowed from Doesburg to the south to flow into the Rhine at the Castellum.
5. Casa Bianca
Casa Bianca is a house in the Dutch town of Arnhem that was built at the beginning of the 20th century as a service home for the poultry and cow caretaker of the Brantsen family, who lived in Huis Zijpendaal. The white house stands in a wooded area in a line of sight on the Huis Zijpendaal. The floor plan of the house is of a T-farm, where the front house has a hipped roof and the back house a wolf roof. The larger windows are equipped with a brick frame at the top. The lower part of the window, which can be opened as a sliding window, can be sealed by characteristic black and white shutters.
6. Huis Sonsbeek
Huis Sonsbeek, originally from 1744, is a country house in the Arnhem Park Sonsbeek located on a hill overlooking the city of Arnhem. The middle part was built for the young orphaned Adriana van Bayen (1723-1755?) after a design by the Arnhem architect Anthony Viervant and probably enlarged with the side wings by his son Roelof Roelofs Viervant at the end of the eighteenth century. The building, which has had various destinations in the past, is often called "The White Villa" or "City Villa Sonsbeek" locally because of the white façade, which used to have other colors.
7. Airborne monument
The aerial monument in the Dutch city of arnhem is a monument on the aerial square commemorating the Arab War in September 1944. It consists of a pillar of the former Justice Palace, which was destroyed by the war and sits on a pedestal. During the war in September 1944, the court building was completely destroyed. Fragments of one of the pillars were preserved as a memory of the war and now constitute a monument. On September 17, 1945, the queen's commissioner, mr. Heme Stella's baron of spades. On the column, the date is September 17, 1944.
8. De Drie Haringen
De Drie Haringen is the name of an originally medieval warehouse on the Rijnstraat in the Dutch city of Arnhem. The building was probably built by a member of the Schonevaardersgilde. Guilds with that name carried a weapon that showed three pegs. The current façade dates from the beginning of the twentieth century, but contains seven older natural stone sculpted masks along the lines of Hendrick de Keyser and a facing stone with three pegs. These culturally and historically valuable façade elements are registered as a national monument.
9. John Frost Bridge
John Frost Bridge is the road bridge over the Lower Rhine at Arnhem, in the Netherlands. The bridge was inaugurated after the end of World War II, and is named after Major-General John Dutton Frost (1912–1993), who commanded the British forces that reached and temporarily defended the pre-existing Rijnbrug at the same location during the Battle of Arnhem in September 1944. This was the bridge referenced in the 1977 Anglo-American film A Bridge Too Far, although the IJssel bridge in Deventer was used for the actual shooting of the film.
10. voormalig Evangelisch-Lutherse kerk
The Evangelical-Lutheran Church was a church in the Dutch city of Arnhem where believers of the Evangelisch-Lutheran congregation came together. The church was built around 1898 to a design by architect A. R. Freem and took over the celebrations from the previous church, the Lutheran church on the Korenmarkt. The building is built in neo -gothic style and designed as a hall church. The choir of church is aimed at the choir of the nearby Sint-Martinus church. The church is a national monument.
11. International Memorial for the Unknown Child
The International Monument to the Unknown Child is a monument that is located on the Delhuyzen National Scattering Area in the municipality of Arnhem, just outside the Veluwezoom National Park. It is a collection of man-sized stones. In the middle of the collection of stones is a colourful glass artwork by artist Cobi van de Kuit, which represents a rose. The status of the monument (2020) is that it is not yet 'finished', it is 'growing'. Large stones are regularly added.
Wikipedia: Internationaal monument voor het onbekende kind (NL), Website
The Devil's House is a city castle from the 16th century in the center of Arnhem. The house is now called the Maarten van Rossum House and is part of the town hall. In the city castle is the office of the Mayor of Arnhem. Right in front of the Devil's House is the provincial house of Gelderland. After the Second World War, it also became a place of pilgrimage for veterans, relatives and other interested parties regarding the Battle of Arnhem.
13. Luxor Live
Luxor Live, formerly The Luxor-Théâtre and from 1915 to 1984 a cinema, is the municipal pop stage of Arnhem, located on the Willemsplein, near the Korenmarkt, in Arnhem. Luxor was previously in private hands. After years of vacancy, after closure due to violence by visitors, it has been revived as a pop venue. It can accommodate 250 visitors in the small upper room and 750 visitors in the main hall.
14. Elisabeth Gasthuis
The Elisabeth Gasthuis is a former hospital in the Dutch city of Arnhem. The hospital was founded in 1878 by J. H. van Basten Batenburg as a Roman Catholic hospital. In 1893, architect J. W. Boerbooms designed the building in neo-Renaissance style. The hospital was named after Saint Elisabeth of Thuringia, with the medical staff consisting of Franciscan nuns from Münster for a long time.
15. Burgers' Zoo
Royal Burgers' Zoo is a 45-hectare (110-acre) zoo in Arnhem, Netherlands, and is one of the biggest zoos in the country. Arnhem is a city that lies within the Veluwe, a nature park in the east of the Netherlands. The zoo is popular with both Dutch and German people, and receives about 1.5 million visitors annually. It was founded by Johan Burgers in 1913.
16. Arnhem War Museum 40 - 45
The arnhems War Museum 40-45 is a private museum dedicated to World War II, especially in and around arnhem. The museum was established on May 24, 1994. The museum is located in the former school, has the Bible on the mountain, and is organized as a foundation. It is not listed as an accredited museum for museum registration.
Park Westerveld is a park in Arnhem-Zuid, originally an estate, laid out in the eighteenth century by the Tulleken family. On the north side it is bordered by the Drielsedijk in the south by a new neighborhood of the village of Elden. In 2009, the park was designated a protected municipal monument.
18. De Arnhemse Schipbrug
The Arnhem ship bridge was a pontoon bridge in Arnhem over the Lower Rhine. The ship bridge was located west of the city on the spot where the Nelson Mandela Bridge is located today. It provided the most important connection across the Rhine until the construction of the Rhine Bridge in 1935.
The Belvédère in park Sonsbeek is a viewing tower in Park Sonsbeek in Arnhem. The belvédère was built in the 19th century by order of Baron H. J. C. J. van Heeckeren van Enghuizen. Baron van Heeckeren had become the owner of Park Sonsbeek in 1821.
The Sint Petersgasthuis is a former guesthouse in the Dutch city of Arnhem. The building was built around 1354 on the Rijnstraat and served in the first years as a house and as a mint. In 1407 the building was taken into use as a guest house.
21. Nationaal Brandweermonument
The National Fire Brigade Monument is a memorial in the Dutch town of Schaarsbergen in memory of firefighters who have died during their work since 1945. The monument was designed by Jeroen Doorenweerd and unveiled on 16 June 2012.
The Jubilee Park is a park in the south of the Dutch city of Arnhem. It is located between the De Laar Oost district and the A325. The park is a gift from the bourgeoisie of Arnhem at the 750th anniversary of the city in 1983.
23. Nederlands Openluchtmuseum
The Netherlands Open Air Museum is a national open-air museum located in Arnhem. It focuses on the culture associated with the everyday lives of ordinary people, and demonstrating the old way of life in the Netherlands.
24. Park Gulden Bodem
Gulden Soil is a park and former country estate in the Dutch city of Arnhem, located on the north side of the city. It has been a national monument since 2006. Due to its location it is the over -garden of Zypendaal.
25. Spinnenkopmolen (Gorredijk)
The spinnenkop of the Netherlands Open Air Museum in Arnhem is a small drainage mill originally located near Gorredijk, Friesland, Netherlands. It is a hollow post windmill that has been restored to working order.
26. St. Walburgisbasiliek
The Sint-Walburgiskerk is the oldest surviving church in Arnhem. The building has a characteristic double tower front on the west side. The church is built on the Count's Court and the residence of Reinald 1.
27. Het Nederland Watermuseum
The Dutch Water Museum in Arnhem is the museum that focuses on information about all aspects of (fresh) water, such as water management, drinking water and water purification. The museum was opened in 2004.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.