Book tickets, guided tours and activities in Verona.
Guided Free Walking Tours
Book free guided walking tours in Verona.
Explore interesting sights in Verona, Italy. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 37 sights are available in Verona, Italy.Sightseeing Tours in Verona
1. Castel San PietroBook Ticket*
The tax barracks of Castel San Pietro or more simply Castel San Pietro, originally called Aratoryalcanern Castel San Pietro, is a military building located on the San Pietro in Verona Colle, in an elevated point and characterized by a wide panoramic view of the Scaliger city, e For this privileged destination for tourists and Veronese who can reach the square in front of the castle also through the funicular of Castel San Pietro. The building was designed by the K.K. Genie-Direktion Verona Austrian stationed in the city and built between 1852 and 1858, when the remains of the curtain wall of the pre-existing castle were also restored, built at the end of the fourteenth century.
2. Ponte PietraBook Ticket*
The Ponte Pietra is a Roman arch bridge crossing the Adige River in Verona, Italy. The bridge was completed in 100 BC, and the Via Postumia from Genoa to Aquileia passed over it. It is the oldest bridge in Verona.
3. Porta Nuova
Porta Nuova is a gateway to the historic center of Verona, built between 1532 and 1540. It was designed by architect Michele Sanmicheli. Giorgio Vasari said of the gateway in Le vite de' più eccellenti pittori, scultori e architettori "never before any other work of more grandeur or better design."
4. Chiesa di San Giovanni in Valle
The church of San Giovanni in Valle is a Catholic place of worship located on the street of the same name in Verona. One of the oldest churches in Verona, it arose on the site of a pagan necropolis and a Roman temple. Little or nothing is known about the early building, however some elements, such as its location in the area where the castrum of Theodoric the Great stood, suggest that in the beginning it may have been the Arian cathedral of Verona, as opposed to the Catholic church of Santo Stefano. In any case, only part of the present crypt remains of this early church, as the rest of the building was severely damaged in the earthquake that struck Verona in 1117. As early as 1120 the reconstruction of what would later be the present building in the Romanesque style began, while in 1164 its consecration took place at the hands of the bishop of Verona Ognibene. During the Middle Ages a collegiate church of clerics also resided there. In 1300 it was decided to enlarge the hall of the building by lengthening the nave by one bay, the pre-existing narthex was then incorporated into the church and the facade rebuilt from scratch. During the following centuries the building did not undergo any other major transformations, however, it was deeply damaged during a World War II bombing raid; at the end of the conflict, therefore, it underwent extensive restoration.
5. Forte Fenilone
Forte Fenilone, originally called Werk d'Aspre, was a fortification located to the south-west of Verona, part of the complex citizen defensive system and more in particular of the first entrenched plain field, put in place between 1848 and 1856. The fort was Made of three different phases: in 1848 the embankment, the moat and the shoulder were set, in 1849 the reduced was built and in 1859 the closure of the throat front and the construction of the wall detached with the carnot with the related leaders took place. However, the usefulness of the fort already decreased after 1861, following the construction of the most advanced line of the second entrenched field, even if it maintained the safety function against infantry infiltrations. The works were followed by the director of the Imperial Regio Office of the fortifications of Verona, the major Conrad Petrasch.
6. Forte Santa Caterina
Forte Santa Caterina, originally called Werk Hess, is a fortification located south of Verona, part of the complex citizen defensive system and more in particular of the first trenched plain field, put in place between 1848 and 1856. The fortified structure was built between 1850 and 1852 and the works were followed by the director of the Imperial Regio Office of the fortifications of Verona, the major Conrad Petrasch. Its denomination in Italian derives from the pre -existing chapel dedicated to Santa Senese, located along the road that from the sixteenth century Lazzaretto of San Pancrazio led to Porta Nuova, but was then officially named after Baron Heinrich von Hess, artillery general and head of state Greater in Josef Radetzky's army, as well as subscriber of the Salasco armistice.
7. Forte Tomba
Forte Tomba, originally called Werk Stadion, is a fortification located south of Verona, part of the city's complex defensive system and more specifically of the second entrenched plain camp, put in place between 1859 and 1866. The fortified structure was built between 1860 and 1861 and the works were directed by the Imperial Royal Office of Fortifications of Verona. In the early fifties of the twentieth century, in order to give work to the unemployed, the earthworks of the fort were completely leveled, filling the ditch, while in the following years the redoubt was gutted to rectify the road coming from Ostiglia; finally, the state of conservation of the fort further deteriorated in the nineties, when the junction of the southern ring road was built.
8. Chiesa di San Giovanni in Foro
The church of San Giovanni in Foro in Verona, is located on Corso Magenta, near the Piazza Erbe, the site of the ancient Roman Forum on Corso Porta Borsari. A church at this site was gravely damaged during the fire that swept medieval Verona in 1172. During restorations in the early 1900s, it was found that Roman walls had been incorporated into the external walls of the church. The base of the bell-tower dates from the 14th century. The renaissance portal of the church was sculpted by Gerolamo Giolfino with statues of Saints John the Evangelist, Peter, and John the Baptist. The fresco in the niche depicting St John was completed by Nicola Giolfino. The 3 baroque bells are rung with the Veronese bellringing art.
9. Pantheon di Santa Maria in Stelle
The hypogeum of Santa Maria in Stelle, commonly known with the name of Pantheon of Santa Maria in Stelle, is located in the hamlet of the municipality of Verona, at the beginning of Valpantena. It is an underground structure of difficult interpretation, built in the third century probably with the function of a funerary monument, even if it could also have been used as a aqueduct or nymphaeum to capture the waters of an underground source. Starting from the fourth century the space was used as a chapel for Christian cult, a destination of use it maintained until the twelfth century. The structure was rediscovered in the eighteenth century, as the surveys of Gaetano Cristofali document.
10. Forte Parona
Forte Parona, originally called Werk Erzherzog Albrecht, is a fortification located northwest of Verona, part of the city's complex defensive system and more specifically of the second entrenched field on the plain, put in place between 1859 and 1866. The fortified structure was built between 1859 and 1860 and the works were directed by the Imperial Royal Office of Fortifications of Verona. The structure was hit by an Allied air raid in 1944, towards the end of World War II, which caused the explosive depots contained therein to explode, reducing it to complete ruin. Only the remains of the embankment and the moat remain, completely invaded by vegetation.
11. Forte San Leonardo
Forte San Leonardo, originally called Werk San Leonardo, was a fortification located on the hills northwest of Verona, part of the complex defensive system of the city and more particularly in the sector of the strong hills and the forts advanced plain, which was implemented between 1837 and 1843. The fortified structure was built in 1838 and the works were directed by the Director of the Imperial Regio Office of Fortifications in Verona, the major German general Franz von Scholl. In the second half of the twentieth century the structure was deeply transformed to host the church of Our Lady of Lourdes, a subsidiary belonging to the diocese of Verona.
12. Museo di Castelvecchio
Castelvecchio Museum is a museum in Verona, northern Italy, located in the eponymous medieval castle. Restoration by the architect Carlo Scarpa between 1959 and 1973 has enhanced the appearance of the building and exhibits. Scarpa's architectural style is visible in the details for doorways, staircases, furnishings, and even fixtures designed to hold a specific piece of artwork. The renovation carefully balanced new and old, revealing the history of the original building where appropriate. Unusual at the time, this approach has now become a common approach to renovation.
13. Centro Internazionale di fotografia Scavi Scaligeri
The International Center for Photography Scavi Scaligeri is an underground exhibition space that was built within an archaeological site that came to light between 1981 and 1983, in which photographic exhibitions were hosted since 1996, as well as thematic workshops, educational itineraries, Photography courses, shows and readings. The exhibition activities were suspended on 11 May 2015 to allow the restoration works of the Palazzo del Capitanio; The promotion of photography continues in the meantime within the other city museums, pending the reopening of the center.
14. Arsenale Austriaco
The Campagnola artillery arsenal, originally called arsenal Franz Josef I but better known as the arsenal of Verona or the Austrian arsenal of Verona, is a military plant built by the Austrian Empire in Verona, today located in the district of Borgo Trento. The preliminary studies and the elaboration of the project, wanted by feldmarshal Josef Radetzky, were held in 1854 with the choice of the executive project of Major Conrad Petersh, director of Genie-Direktion in Verona. The construction of the arsenal ended in 1861 according to the reduced project of 1859.
15. Forte San Procolo
Forte San Procolo, originally called Vorwerk San Procolo, is a fortification located west of Verona, in the current Navigators district, part of the complex city defensive system and more particularly in the sector of the strong hilly and strong advances of the plain, put in place Between 1837 and 1843. The fortified structure was built between 1840 and 1841 and the works were directed by the director of the Imperial Regio Office of the fortifications of Verona, the main German general Franz von Scholl.
16. Forte Porta Nuova
Forte Porta Nuova, originally called Werk Clam, was a fortification placed south of Verona, part of the complex citizen defensive system and more in particular of the first trenched plain field, put in place between 1848 and 1856. The fort was made between 1848 and 1850 and completed with the wall detached from the Carnet and three Caponiere in 1859; The works were followed by the director of the Imperial Regio Office of the fortifications of Verona, the major Conrad Petrasch.
17. Santuario di Santa Teresa di Gesù Bambino
The Church of Santa Teresa del Bambin Gesù is a Catholic place of worship that stands in the Borgo Roma district in Verona; It is a parish church belonging to the Vicariate of Verona Sud in the diocese of the same name, entrusted to the Scalzi Carmelite. On April 26, 1938 he was elevated to the dignity of a minor basilica, while in 1967 the bishop of Verona Giuseppe Carraro constituted the Basilica-Teree Teresian.
18. Forte Chievo
Forte Chievo, originally Werk Kaiser Franz Josef, is a fortification located west of Verona, part of the city's complex defensive system and more specifically of the first entrenched camp on the plain, put in place between 1848 and 1856. The fortified structure was built between 1850 and 1852 and the work was supervised by the director of the Imperial Royal Office of Fortifications in Verona, Major Conrad Petrasch.
19. Chiesa di Santa Maria Antica
Santa Maria Antica is a Roman Catholic church in Verona, Italy. The current church is Romanesque in style and dates to 1185, rebuilt after the earthquake of 1117 destroyed the original building that dated back to the end of the period of Lombard domination in the 7th century. The only surviving remains of the 7th-century building is a fragment of black and white mosaic floor.
20. Museo archeologico al teatro romano
The Archaeological Museum at the Roman Theatre is a large museum complex located in the Veronetta district of Verona, near the bend of the Adige river; it consists of Palazzo Fontana, which serves as the entrance to the large area, the archaeological site of the Roman theater of Verona and the museum itself, located in the fifteenth-century convent of the Gesuati.
21. Castel San Felice
Castel San Felice is a fortification north of Verona, along the city's master walls, in which there have been numerous construction phases over the centuries, the last of which of the first half of the nineteenth century, when it was restored and suitable for the new ones defensive needs from the imperial regio office of the fortifications of Verona.
22. Basilica di San Zeno Maggiore
The Basilica di San Zeno is a minor basilica of Verona, northern Italy constructed between 967 and 1398 AD. Its fame rests partly on its Romanesque architecture and partly upon the tradition that its crypt was the place of the marriage of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. It stands adjacent to a Benedictine abbey, both dedicated to St Zeno of Verona.
23. Museo e pinacoteca Canonicale
The Canonical Museum is set up at the architectural complex of the Cathedral of Verona and can be accessed from Piazza Duomo. In it there are collections of archaeological materials from the pre-existing Roman buildings and early Christian basilicas, sacred furnishings and valuable sculptures and paintings dating from the 12th to the 19th century.
24. Maffei Museum
The Maffeiano lapidary museum, founded in the first half of the eighteenth century by the Veronese scholar Scipione Maffei, is one of the oldest European public museum institutions, located in the heart of the historic center of Verona, within the municipal walls, overlooking Piazza Bra and a few steps from the Arena di Verona.
25. Leone della Serenissima - Piazza Erbe
The Lion of Saint Mark, representing Mark the Evangelist, pictured in the form of a winged lion, is an aspect of the Tetramorph. On the pinnacle of St Mark's Cathedral he is depicted as holding a Bible, and surmounting a golden lion which is the symbol of the city of Venice and formerly of the Venetian Republic.
26. Forte San Zeno
Forte San Zeno, originally called Werk Radetzky, was a fortification located west of Verona, part of the complex defensive system of the city and more particularly of the first entrenched plain camp, wanted by the Austrian feldmarshal Josef Radetzky and put into operation between 1848 and 1856.
27. Area archeologica di Corte Sgarzarie
The Capitolium of Verona was a complex that was part of the Forum area of the Roman city, corresponding to today's Piazza delle Erbe. Parts of the cryptoporticus can be seen and visited under the loggia of the Sgarzerie court and in the crypt of the church of San Benedetto al Monte.
28. Chiesa dei Santi Siro e Libera
The church of the saints Siro and Libera is a place of Catholic worship that stands in the neighborhood of Veronetta and Verona, within the archaeological site within which the Roman theater is located and the homonymous museum; It is part of the diocese of Verona.
29. Torre della Catena
The Torre della Catena is a military building built during the fourteenth century on the bed of the Adige as part of the Scaliger defensive system of the city of Verona. The tower, now in disuse, is located between the Catena bridge and the Risorgimento bridge.
30. Porta Vescovo
Porta Vescovo was a gate or portal of the former outer medieval walls of the city of Verona, Italy. It was designed and built during 1520 by the architect Teodoro Trivulzio. It is named Vescovo, because the gate once collected a toll benefitting the bishop.
31. Chiesa di San Nicolò
The church of San Nicolò alla Arena is a place of Catholic worship that stands in the heart of the historic center of Verona, behind the Roman amphitheater; It is a parish church belonging to the Vicariate of Verona Centro in the diocese of the same name.
32. Chiesa di Sant'Anastasia
The chiesa di Sant'Anastasia, or the Basilica of Saint Anastasia is a church built by the Dominican Order in Verona, northern Italy. In Gothic style, it is the largest church in the city, located in its most ancient district, near the Ponte Pietra.
33. Battistero di San Giovanni in Fonte
The Baptistery of San Giovanni in Fonte, also simply called Church of San Giovanni in Fonte, is a place of Catholic worship that stands in the heart of the historic center of Verona, adjacent to the cathedral; It is part of the diocese of Verona.
34. Carcere degli Scalzi
The prison of the Scalzi was a convent of the Order of the bare Carmelites adjacent to the church of the Scalzi in Verona, built between 1666 and 1750, suppressed in 1806 by Napoleonic decree and used as a prison from 1883 to 1945.
35. Chiesa di San Zeno in Oratorio
The church of San Zeno in Oratory, also known as the church of San Zenetto, is a place of Catholic worship that is located in the district of San Zeno in Verona, a few steps from Castelvecchio; it is part of the diocese of Verona.
36. Chiesa di Sant'Elena
The church of Sant'Elena, formerly the church of Saints Giorgio and Zeno, is a Catholic place of worship located in the heart of the historic center of Verona, adjacent to the Cathedral; it is part of the diocese of Verona.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.