Looking for premium sights?
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Taranto:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Here you can find interesting sights in Taranto, Italy. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 12 sights are available in Taranto, Italy.List of cities in Italy Sightseeing Tours in Taranto
1. Mudi Museo Diocesano di Taranto
The Diocesan Museum or Mu.di. It is set up in the premises of the sixteenth -century archiepiscopal seminary of Taranto in the old city. The museum was inaugurated on 6 May 2011 by Archbishop Benigno Luigi Papa. The Mu.di develops on 4 floors, with a basement, with remains of an ancient IAPIGIO village, the ground floor that includes a 100 -seater auditorium, a multifunctional room, and the first and second floor, in which the Thematic sections: liturgical, Christological, Mariana, saints, religious and confraternity orders, cathedral and archbishops. The exhibition contains over 300 works that embrace a time span ranging from the VII to the twentieth century, among sacred furnishings, relics, paintings and sculptures of exceptional cultural value. These are largely from churches no longer open to worship, or by the "Treasury of San Cataldo" and by the heritage of the Archdiocese.
2. Ponte Girevole
The Ponte Girevole is a swing bridge in Taranto, Italy, spanning the navigation canal between Taranto's Mar Grande and the Mar Piccolo. The bridge connects Borgo Antico island to the Borgo Nuovo peninsula. The canal was excavated in 1481 as part of the defenses of Taranto. A steel and wood bridge was first built across the canal in 1886. The present steel bridge was built in 1958. Officially titled the Ponte di San Francesco di Paola, the bridge has two swing spans that pivot near the banks of the canal to meet in the middle of the canal. When open, the halves are parallel to the embankment, leaving the width of the canal clear for passage. The bridge is a Taranto landmark.
3. Monumento al Marinaio di Taranto
The monument to the Sailor of Taranto is one of the monuments of the Borgo Nuovo of the city. Dedicated to the sailors of the Italian Navy, it was made of bronze on Corso Due Mari by the sculptor Vittorio Di Cobertaldo in 1974, by the will of Admiral Angelo Iachino, commander of the fleet stationed in Taranto during the Second World War, who wanted to donate the work to the city that was the scene of the famous "Night of Taranto".
4. Monumento ai Caduti
The monument to the fallen of Taranto is the largest monument of the new village of the city. Dedicated to the citizens who fell during the First World War, it was conceived, designed and created in Trani limestone and bronze by the sculptor Tarantino Francesco Paolo Como, the winner of the appropriate national competition. For his installation, the website in Piazza della Vittoria was chosen, where it is still located today.
5. Tempio Dorico
The Temple of Poseidon is a peripteral Doric temple located in the modern piazza Castello in the historic centre of Taranto, Italy. It is the oldest temple in Magna Graecia and the only Greek religious structure still visible in the old town of Taranto. The temple dates to the first quarter of the sixth century BC. It fell into ruin in the Middle Ages and parts of it were reused in the construction of other buildings.
6. Chiesa di San Domenico Maggiore
Santa Domenico Church is a Romanesque-Gothic church, located to the west of the historical center of Taranto, built around 1360. The "principal" name it uses in the only monograph on the complex published today is actually inaccurate, as in the source it is referred to as the "Temple of the Notre Dame" or "Monte Oliveto", when the Dominicans moved there from the post-Napoleonic restoration to 1866.
7. Palazzo Amati
The Amati Palace of Taranto is one of the most prestigious buildings in the ancient village of the city. It was built in the second half of the eighteenth century by the Baron Giacomo Amati, through a complex work of the union of three minor buildings owned since 1748. The building overlooks the Great Sea, but the entrance with the imposing portal is located in Vico Vigilant.
8. Palazzo Carducci Artenisio
Taranto's Carducci Palazzo Carducci is one of the main buildings of the Taranto aristocracy. The building has largely preserved the original noble characteristics, both in the fine decorations and in the furnishings. He was built in 1650 by Ludovico Carducci, descending from a noble family of Florence. The entrance of the building is located in Vico the seminars.
9. MAR.TA Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Taranto
The National Archaeological Museum of Taranto (MArTA) is an Italian museum in Taranto, Italy. It exhibits one of the largest collections of artifacts from the Magna Graecia, including the Gold of Taranto. The museum is operated by the Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities of Italy.
10. Giardini Peripato
The periphered gardens are a Taranto park. They occupy an area of almost five hectares located in the Umbertine village, close to the Piccolo Mar. The name refers to the school of Aristotle of which the Tarantino Archita scientist and politician was an important exponent.
11. Palazzo Pantaleo
The Pantaleo Palace of Taranto is an eighteenth century building owned by the municipality. From 2000 to 2007 he hosted some collections of the National Archaeological Museum of Taranto in the Old Town. It is currently home to the Alfredo Majorano ethnographic museum.
12. Fontana della Rosa dei Venti
The Fontana della Rosa dei Venti di Taranto is a monumental fountain of the new village of the city. It was built on a design by the architect Brunetti in the center of the Ebalia square, between via Berardi and the Lungomare Vittorio Emanuele III.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.