Looking for premium sights?
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Palermo:Get tickets and guided tours now *
Here you can find interesting sights in Palermo, Italy. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 38 sights are available in Palermo, Italy.Back to the list of cities in Italy
1. Chiesa di Santa Caterina
Santa Caterina d'Alessandria or Saint Catherine of Alexandria is a Roman Catholic church with a main facade on Piazza Bellini, and a lateral Western facade facing the elaborate Fontana Pretoria, in the historic quarter of Kalsa in the city of Palermo, region of Sicily, Italy. In front of the main facade, across the piazza Bellini, rise the older churches of San Cataldo and Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio, while across Piazza Pretoria is the Theatine church of San Giuseppe and the entrance to the Piazza of Quattro Canti. Refurbished over the centuries, the church retains elements and decorations from the Renaissance, Baroque, and late-Baroque (Rococo) eras. This church is distinct from the Oratorio di Santa Caterina found in the Olivella neighborhood.
2. Museo Archeologico Regionale Antonio Salinas
The "Antonino Salinas" regional archaeological museum is a museum based in Palermo. It has one of the richest archaeological collections in Italy and testimonies of Sicilian history in all its phases, ranging from prehistory to the Middle Ages. Inside the finds and artifacts of the peoples who have determined the history of the island are preserved: Phoenicians, Punic, Greeks, Romans and Byzantines, but also artifacts of other peoples such as Egyptians and Etruscans. There is the Palermo stone, an important testimony of the history of the ancient Egyptian kingdom.
3. Chiesa di San Domenico
San Domenico is a Baroque-style Roman Catholic church, located on Piazza San Domenico, and located in the ancient quarter of La Loggia, in central Palermo, region of Sicily, Italy. Piazza San Domenico opens to Via Roma a few blocks south of the large Palazzo delle Poste, and a few blocks north of Sant'Antonio Abate and Teatro Biondo, is the northern border of the warren of alleys of the Vucciria neighborhood. The church houses the burial monuments of many notable Sicilians, and is known thus as the Pantheon of illustrious Sicilians.
4. Chiesa di San Giuseppe Cafasso
San Giorgio in Kemonia, some decades ago renamed as San Giuseppe Cafasso, is a Roman Catholic parish church located on Via dei Benedettini #13 in the city of Palermo, region of Sicily, Italy. In 1953, the church was rededicated to Joseph Cafasso (1811-1860), patron saint of prisoners, due to former nearby female prison. The apse of the ancient church of San Giovanni degli Eremiti ends on the right flank of the church. Across the street are a series of building forming the Giovanni di Cristina Children's Hospital.
5. Chiesa di San Giovanni degli Eremiti
San Giovanni degli Eremiti is an ancient former monastic church located on Via Benedettini #19 in the ancient quarter of Albergaria of the city of Palermo, region of Sicily, Italy. It is about two blocks south from the Palazzo dei Normanni, adjacent to the church of San Giorgio in Kemonia. While the interior is virtually devoid of decoration or furnishings, the red Norman-Byzantine domes, the medieval cloister ruins, and garden make this small church a symbol of ancient Palermo.
6. Colonna dell'Immacolata
The Colonna dell'Immacolata Concezione is a monumental sculpture, whose centerpiece is a bronze statue of the Virgin of the Immaculate Conception atop a column, erected in 1631 on Piazza San Domenico in Palermo, Sicily. The monument, which stands in front of the church of San Domenico is also referred to as the Colonna di San Domenico or Monumento all'Immacolata. The 18th-century monument falls within the tradition for example, of the guglia or spire monuments common to Naples.
7. Chiesa di Santa Cita
Santa Cita, reconsecrated in 1952 as San Mamiliano, is a baroque-style, Roman Catholic parish church located on Via Squarcialupo #1 in the quarter of Castellammare of the city of Palermo, region of Sicily, Italy. The church and its artworks suffered heavily during the bombardment during World War 2, but it still contains original works and is attached to the Oratory of the Rosary of Santa Cita and less than a block north of the church of Santa Maria di Valverde.
8. Fontana Pretoria
The Praetorian Fountain is a monumental fountain located in Piazza Pretoria in the historic center of Palermo, region of Sicily, Italy. The fountain dominates the piazza on the west flank of the church of Santa Caterina, and is one block south of the intersection of the Quattro Canti. The fountain was originally built in 1544 in Florence by Francesco Camilliani, but was sold, transferred, and reassembled in Palermo in 1574.
9. Museo dell'Osservatorio Astronomico
The Giuseppe S. Vaiana Astronomical Observatory is an astronomical observatory located in Palermo, Sicily, Italy, housed inside the Palazzo dei Normanni. It is one of the research facilities of the National Institute of Astrophysics. The observatory carries out research projects in the field of astronomy and astrophysics including the study of solar and stellar coronas, stellar evolution and of the supernova remnants.
10. Parrocchia Santissima Trinità - Basilica la Magione
La Magione is a 12th-century Norman-Gothic architecture, Roman Catholic Basilica church, located on Via Magione #44, the entrance to the facade, which faces southeast, is through a garden path midway between via Castrofilippo and Via Giuseppe Garibaldi, in the ancient quarter of Kalsa of Palermo, region of Sicily, Italy. The apse of the church is on the southeast corner of Piazza Magione.
11. Cattedrale Santa Vergine Maria Assunta
Palermo Cathedral is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Palermo, located in Palermo, Sicily, southern Italy. It is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. As an architectural complex, it is characterized by the presence of different styles, due to a long history of additions, alterations and restorations, the last of which occurred in the 18th century.
12. Castello della Zisa
The Zisa is alternatively listed as either a castle or palace, and located in the western area of Palemo, region of Sicily, Italy. The edifice was begun around 1165 by an Moorish craftsman under the rule of the Norman conquerer of Sicily, king William I of Sicily. It was not finished until 1189 was under the rule of William II. It is presently open to the public for tours.
13. Chiesa di San Cataldo
The Church of San Cataldo is a Catholic church located at Piazza Bellini in central Palermo, Sicily, Italy. Erected in 1154 as a notable example of the Arab-Norman architecture which flourished in Sicily under Norman rule on the island, the church is annexed to that of Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio. Since the 1930s, it belongs to the Order of the Holy Sepulchre.
14. Chiesa di San Giovanni dei Lebbrosi
San Giovanni dei Lebbrosi is an ancient church in Palermo, Sicily. While built by the Norman rulers, the architecture has strong Arabic influences. The builders may have been Fatimid architects. The church in 1119 was attached to a leprosarium, hence the title. The church was dedicated to St John the Baptist. The adjacent hospital no longer exists.
15. Orto Botanico
The Orto Botanico di Palermo is both a botanical garden and a research and educational institution of the Department of Botany of the University of Palermo. The garden lies within the city of Palermo, Italy at 10 m (33 ft) above sea-level. It covers about 0.12 km2 on top of red soil that has evolved on a limestone tuff substratum.
16. Chiesa di San Nicolò da Tolentino (Palermo)
San Nicola da Tolentino, or more in non-dialect known as the church Saint Niccolò da Tolentino, is a Roman Catholic church located on via Maqueda #157, between via dei Calderai and via Giardinaccio, at the Southwest border of the quarter of Kalsa (Tribunali) of the historic centre of Palermo, region of Sicily, Italy.
17. Genio del Porto
The genius of the port, also called the genius of the pier, genius of Palermo at the port or genius of the cippo, is an ancient marble high -relief inserted at the end of the 16th century in a commemorative stone which has been located at the entrance of via Emerico Amari since 2000, inside the port of Palermo.
18. Chiesa di San Matteo al Cassaro
The Church of Saint Matthew is a Baroque-style, Roman Catholic church of Palermo, region of Sicily, Italy. It is located in the main street of the city, the ancient Cassaro now Corso Vittorio Emanuele, in the quarter of the Loggia, about a block east of the Quattro Canti, within the historic centre of Palermo.
19. Porta Nuova
Porta Nuova is a monumental city gate of Palermo. It represents the entrance of the Cassaro from Corso Calatafimi and is located beside Palazzo dei Normanni, royal palace of Palermo. The gate was built to celebrate Charles V's conquest of Tunis (1535) and his visit to the capital of the Kingdom of Sicily.
20. Genio del Garraffo
The genius of the Garraffo, also called Palermo's genius at Garraffo, or in Sicilian Palermu Lu Grandi, is a marble sculpture of the end of the fifteenth century, and is part of a sculptural group placed in a 17th century newsstand, in Piazzetta del Garraffo, In the Vucciria market, in Palermo.
21. Museo del Risorgimento Vittorio Emanuele Orlando
The Risorgimento Museum is an exhibition space in Palermo dedicated to the Risorgimento. The exhibition deals with issues relating above all to the Sicilian revolution of 1848 and the phases of the expedition of the thousands of thousands in Sicily. It is named after Vittorio Emanuele Orlando.
22. Cappella Palatina
The Palatine Chapel is the royal chapel of the Norman Palace in Palermo, Sicily. This building is a mixture of Byzantine, Norman and Fatimid architectural styles, showing the tricultural state of Sicily during the 12th century after Roger I and Robert Guiscard conquered the island.
23. Chiesa di Santa Ninfa dei Crociferi
The Church of Saint Nympha is a Baroque-Mannerist church of Palermo. The facade rises on Via Maqueda, a block north of the central intersection known as the Quattro Canti, in the quarter of Seralcadi, within the historic centre of Palermo. The church belongs to the Camillians.
24. Chiesa di San Giovanni dei Napoletani
The San Giovanni dei Napoletani (English: St John of the Neapolitans is a late-Baroque or neoclassical church of Palermo. It is located in the quarter of Kalsa of the historic centre of Palermo. It is located diagonally in front of the church of Santa Maria della Catena.
25. Chiesa di Sant'Anna la Misericordia
The Church of Saint Anne the Mercy is a Baroque church of Palermo. It is located in the area of the ancient market of Lattarini, in the quarter of the Kalsa, within the historic centre of Palermo. The church is kept by the Third Order Regular of St. Francis of Penance.
26. Chiesa del Santissimo Salvatore
The Church of Most Holy Saviour is a Baroque-style, Roman Catholic church located on #396 of the ancient main street of the Palermo, the Cassaro, presently Via Vittorio Emanuele, in the ancient quarter of the Albergaria of the city of Palermo, region of Sicily, Italy.
27. Chiesa di San Francesco Saverio
The Church of Saint Francis Xavier is a Baroque church of Palermo. It is located on the Street of the same name in the quarter of the Albergaria, within the historic centre of Palermo. The building is considered the masterpiece of the Jesuit architect Angelo Italia.
28. Chiesa di Sant'Agostino
The Church of Saint Augustine is a Gothic church of Palermo. It is located near the market of the Capo, in the quarter of the Seralcadio, within the historic centre of Palermo. The church is also called Santa Rita, because of the devotion to this Augustinian saint.
29. Chiesa della Santissima Trinità
Zisa Holy Trinity Church or Palatine della Zisa Chapel is a Norman church in Palermo, Italy. It is located almost at the intersection of via Normanni, via Whitaker and via Zisa Square, in the Zisa district, in the highlands of the city, to the north of Zisa Palace.
30. Teatro Massimo Vittorio Emanuele
31. Chiesa di Sant'Orsola
The Church of Saint Ursula of the Blacks is a Baroque-style, Roman Catholic church located in the central Via Maqueda #110, adjacent to the Palazzo Comitini, in the quarter of the Albergaria, within the historic centre of Palermo, Region of Sicily, Italy.
32. ricordo della strage di via Carini
The Via Carini massacre was a Cosa Nostra attack in which, on 3 September 1982, in the Palermo's via Isidoro Carini, the prefect of Palermo Carlo Alberto Dalla Chiesa, his wife Emanuela Setti Carraro and the escort agent Domenico Russo lost their lives.
33. Aereo Fiat G59 4B
The Fiat G.59 was a single -mounted cagesting monomotor training plane developed by the Italian Air Force Fiat Aviato company in the post -war period, designed by the engineer Giuseppe Gabrielli and derived from the previous G.55 Centauro and G.56.
34. museo dell'Islam
The Islamic art museum of Palermo is a museum body located in the Arab-Norman castle of Zisa, west of the historic center. It collects Islamic art objects of Sicily and the Mediterranean area, produced between the ninth and twelfth centuries.
35. Chiesa di San Gioacchino
The Church of San Gioacchino All 'Olivella is a church in the historic center of Palermo. The Church of San Joachim is located in the district of Oliveira, at the corner of the avenues of San Basilio and Patania.
36. Fontana del Genio a Villa Giulia
The Fontana del Genio a Villa Giulia or Genio di Villa Giulia is a sculpted water fountain in the park of the Villa Giulia in Palermo. It was sculpted by Ignazio Marabitti in 1778 and shows the Genius of Palermo.
37. Archivio Storico Comunale
The municipal historical archive of Palermo is a building that preserves the archives of the municipal administration of Palermo, which contain documents from the end of the thirteenth century until 1957.
38. Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Genovesi
Saint George of the Genoese is a Renaissance-style, Roman Catholic church located near the port of La Cala, on Via Buon Pastore in the ancient quarter of the Loggia, in Palermo, region of Sicily, Italy.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.