Book tickets, guided tours and activities in Naples.
Guided Free Walking Tours
Book free guided walking tours in Naples.
Explore interesting sights in Naples, Italy. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 50 sights are available in Naples, Italy.Sightseeing Tours in Naples
1. Gesù Nuovo
Gesù Nuovo is the name of a church and a square in Naples, Italy. They are located just outside the western boundary of the historic center of the city. To the southeast of the spire, one can see a block away the Fountain of Monteoliveto and the piazza of the church of Sant'Anna dei Lombardi. The square is a result of the expansion of the city to the west beginning in the early 16th century under the rule of Spanish viceroy Pedro Alvarez de Toledo. The square of Gesù Nuovo contains three prominent landmarks:The Church of Gesù Nuovo The Church of Santa Chiara The spire or guglia of the Immaculate Virgin
2. Santa Chiara
Santa Chiara is a religious complex in Naples, Italy, that includes the Church of Santa Chiara, a monastery, tombs and an archeological museum. The Basilica church of Santa Chiara faces Via Benedetto Croce, which is the easternmost leg of Via Spaccanapoli. The church facade of Santa Chiara is diagonally across from the church of Gesù Nuovo.
3. Torre La Brava
The Carmine Castle was a castle in Naples, Italy. It was one of the fortifications built by the Spaniards under viceroy Pedro Álvarez de Toledo in the mid-16th century as part of the Spanish plans to surround the city with walls and forts. It stood at what was then the south-east corner of the walled city, that wall then turning in to the north. The fortress had great strategic value in the military history of the city up to and including the defense of the Neapolitan Republic of 1799 against the returning royalist forces of king Ferdinand IV. In order to make room for a modern road along the sea and the port of Naples, the fortress/castle was demolished in 1900 as part of the great urban renewal of Naples of that period. Two towers and fragmentary ruins still stand as historic markers.
4. Cimitero delle Fontanelle
The Fontanelle cemetery in Naples is a charnel house, an ossuary, located in a cave in the tuff hillside in the Materdei section of the city. It is associated with a chapter in the folklore of the city. By the time the Spanish moved into the city in the early 16th century, there was already concern over where to locate cemeteries, and moves had been taken to locate graves outside of the city walls. Many Neapolitans, however, insisted on being interred in their local churches. To make space in the churches for the newly interred, undertakers started removing earlier remains outside the city to the cave, the future Fontanelle cemetery. The remains were interred shallowly and then joined in 1656 by thousands of anonymous corpses, victims of the great plague of that year.
5. Castle dell'Ovo
Castel dell'Ovo is a seafront castle in Naples, located on the former island of Megaride, now a peninsula, on the Gulf of Naples in Italy. The castle's name comes from a legend about the Roman poet Virgil, who had a reputation in the Middle Ages as a great sorcerer and predictor of the future. In the legend, Virgil put a magical egg into the foundations to support the fortifications. It remains there along with his bones, and had this egg been broken, the castle would have been destroyed and a series of disastrous events for Naples would have followed. The castle is located between the districts of San Ferdinando and Chiaia, facing Mergellina across the sea.
6. Chiesa dei Santi Pietro e Paolo dei Greci
Santi Pietro e Paolo dei Greci is a church at the Campania, the historic center of Naples, in Via San Tommaso d'Aquino 51. It was the center of the Scuola dei Greci in Naples and the Confraternity of the Greeks in Naples. Around this period there was a similar church in Venice called San Giorgio dei Greci. There was also a Greek Brotherhood of Venice. A prominent member of the Greek Brotherhood was famous painter Belisario Corenzio. The church was initially dedicated to the Twelve Apostles. They began building the church at the request of one of the descendants of the Byzantine Empire Thomas Asen Palaiologos. The church currently belongs to the Greek State.
7. Basilica di Santa Lucia a Mare
The minor pontifical basilica of the sanctuary of Santa Lucia a Mare is a monumental church in Naples, established as a parish and at the same time having the dignity of a sanctuary and, more recently, decreed a minor basilica. The basilica-sanctuary is located in the district of Santa Lucia, within the historic center of Naples. Always a pilgrimage destination, it was erected as a parish in the second half of the '700 and, in the second half of the '900, elevated to a diocesan sanctuary dedicated to the popular cult of Saint Lucia. Administratively the parish is included in the third deanery of the archdiocese of Naples.
8. Catacombe di San Gennaro
The Catacombs of San Gennaro are underground paleo-Christian burial and worship sites in Naples, Italy, carved out of tuff, a porous stone. They are situated in the northern part of the city, on the slope leading up to Capodimonte, consisting of two levels, San Gennaro Superiore, and San Gennaro Inferiore. The catacombs lie under the Rione Sanità neighborhood of Naples, sometimes called the "Valley of the Dead". The site is now easily identified by the large church of Madre del Buon Consiglio.
9. Villa Comunale
The Villa Comunale is a park in Naples, southern Italy. It was built in the 1780s by King Ferdinand IV on land reclaimed along the coast between the main body of the city and the small port of Mergellina. The park was originally a "Royal Garden", reserved for members of the royal family, but open to the public on special holidays such as the Festival of Piedigrotta. The park was opened to the general public on a permanent basis in 1869 after the unification of Italy.
10. Castel Sant'Elmo
Castel Sant'Elmo is a medieval fortress located on Vomero Hill adjacent to the Certosa di San Martino, overlooking Naples, Italy. The name "Sant'Elmo" derives from a former 10th-century church dedicated to Sant'Erasmo, shortened to "Ermo" and, finally altered to "Elmo". Located near the upper terminus of the Petraio, one of the city's earliest pedestrian connections between upper and lower Naples, the fortress now serves as a museum, exhibition hall, and offices.
11. Chiesa della Pietà dei Turchini
The Church of Pietà dei Turchini is a religious building in Naples, Italy. A smaller church, located on Rua Catalana, was built originally in 1592–1595 by the Confraternity of the Incoronatella. This church was nearly destroyed by an explosion in the Castel Nuovo in 1638. It was rebuilt in 1638–1639, and retitled Santa Maria Incoronatella della Pietà dei Turchini when it acquired a dome. The facade was completed in 1769–70 by Bartolomeo Vecchione.
12. Chiesa dei Santi Cosma e Damiano ai Banchi Nuovi
Santi Cosma e Damiano ai Banchi Nuovi is a deconsecrated church dedicated to Cosmas and Damian in Naples. It is sited on largo Banchi Nuovi and owes its name to the Banchi Nuovi, whose loggia previously occupied the church's site. The church was founded in 1616 and re-used the loggia's facade. It was extended later in the 17th century, including a scheme led by the engineer Luigi Giura. Its high altarpiece is now in the Diocesan Museum.
13. Chiesa della Misericordiella
The church of Santa Maria della Misericordia ai Vergini is one of the churches of Naples, located in the heart of the historic center, on the corner of Via Fuori Porta San Gennaro and Via Misericordiella, right in the entrance area to the Borgo dei Vergini, at Porta San Gennaro. It is part of a complex including the former hospital and the oratory of the Archconfraternity of the Nobles of Santa Maria della Misericordia.
14. Basilica di San Lorenzo Maggiore
San Lorenzo Maggiore is a church in Naples, Italy. It is located at the precise geographic center of the historic center of the ancient Greek-Roman city, at the intersection of via San Gregorio Armeno and via dei Tribunali. The name "San Lorenzo" may also refer to the new museum now opened on the premises, as well as to the ancient Roman market beneath the church itself, the Macellum of Naples.
15. Basilica di Santa Maria della Sanità
The Basilica of Santa Maria della Sanità is a basilica church located over the Catacombs of San Gaudioso, on a Piazza near where Via Sanità meets Via Teresa degli Scalzi, in the Rione of the Sanità, in Naples, Italy. The church is also called San Vincenzo or San Vincenzo della Sanità, due to the cult of an icon of San Vincenzo Ferrer, also called locally O' Monacone.
16. Gesù Vecchio dell'Immacolata di Don Placido
The Gesù Vecchio is a church in Naples, Italy. Its full title is the Basilica Sanctuary of the Gesù Vecchio or Basilica Sanctuary of the Immaculate Conception and Don Placido. It was founded in 1554 and promoted to minor basilica status in 1958. Its name distinguishes it from the nearby Gesù Nuovo, built to cope with the expansion of the Jesuit order in the city.
17. Basilica dell'Incoronata Madre del Buon Consiglio
The Madre del Buon Consiglio is a Roman Catholic church in Naples, southern Italy. It is located on the hillside leading up to the Capodimonte palace and art museum and is visible from many quarters of the city. The church houses a number of works of art rescued from closed, damaged, or abandoned houses of worship in the city. It was building from 1920 to 1960.
18. Chiesa di Sant'Eligio Maggiore
Sant’Eligio Maggiore is a church in Naples, southern Italy. It is located near Piazza Mercato, and was built during the reign of Charles of Anjou by the same congregation that built the nearby Sant’Eligio hospital in 1270. It is the first church built in Naples by the Angevin dynasty and therefore the first one in Gotico Angioiano style.
19. Amor Divino
The Cappella Sansevero is a chapel located on Via Francesco de Sanctis 19, just northwest of the church of San Domenico Maggiore, in the historic center of Naples, Italy. The chapel is more properly named the Chapel of Santa Maria della Pietà. It contains works of Rococo art by some of the leading Italian artists of the 18th century.
20. Chiesa di San Giovanni a Carbonara
San Giovanni a Carbonara is a Gothic church in Naples, Southern Italy. It is located at the northern end of via Carbonara, just outside what used to be the eastern wall of the old city. The name carbonara was given to this site allocated for the collection and burning of refuse outside the city walls in the Middle Ages.
21. Chiesa dei Girolamini
The Church and Convent of the Girolamini or Gerolamini is a church and ecclesiastical complex in Naples, Italy. It is located directly across from the Cathedral of Naples on via Duomo. The facade is across the homonymous piazza and street from Santa Maria della Colonna. It is one block west of Via Duomo.
22. Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Genovesi
San Giorgio dei Genovesi is a church on Via Medina in the Center of Naples, Italy. It is adjacent and just north of the Church of the Santa Maria Incoronata, two doors south from the Palazzo d’Aquino di Caramanico, and across the street from the Church of the Pietà dei Turchini.
23. Chiesa dei Santi Bernardo e Margherita
The church of Santi Bernardo e Margherita is a monumental church in Naples, Italy, located in Via San Giuseppe dei Nudi. The building is incorporated into the Sovereign Military Order of Malta Complex, and is also known as the church of St. John of the Sovereign Order of Malta.
24. Basilica di Santa Restituta
Santa Restituta is a church in Naples, southern Italy, dedicated to Saint Restituta. The foundation of the basilica is attributed to the Emperor Constantine the Great in the 4th century and is mentioned in a passage from the life of Pope Sylvester I in the Liber pontificalis:
25. Chiesa di Santa Maria Egiziaca a Pizzofalcone
Santa Maria Egiziaca a Pizzofalcone is a Baroque-style, Roman Catholic, Basilica church on the street of the titular name in the hill of Pizzofalcone, in the historic center of Naples, region of Campania, Italy. The church layout was initially designed by Cosimo Fanzago.
26. Parco dell'Osservatorio Astronomico di Capodimonte
The Astronomical Observatory of Capodimonte is the Neapolitan department of Istituto Nazionale di Astrofisica, the most important Italian institution promoting, developing and conducting scientific research in the fields of astronomy, astrophysics, and space science.
27. Museo nazionale della ceramica Duca di Martina
The National Museum of Ceramics Duca Di Martina is a historical and artistic site situated inside of the Villa Floridiana Park in Naples, Italy. The building used to be one of Campania’s Bourbon royal residences and since 1927 this residence has hosted the museum.
28. Chiesa di Santa Maria degli Angeli alle Croci
Santa Maria degli Angeli alle Croci is a Baroque style, Roman Catholic church in Naples, Italy, located on via Veterinaria, near the Botanical Gardens. The extramural church gained its name because the road leading up to this hill here passed a series of crosses.
29. Mausoleo Schilizzi
The Mausoleo Schilizzi, also known as the Mausoleum of Posillipo or Ara Votiva per i Caduti della Patria is a monumental mausoleum built in the 1880s in a Neo-Egyptian style. It is located at Posillipo, Naples, and overlooks the bay from atop a hillside.
30. Chiesa dei Santi Crispino e Crispiniano
The church of Santi Crispino e Crispiniano, also known as chiesa de' calzolari, is a church in Naples, located in Via Antonio Ranieri, in the Duchesca area. Founded in the first half of the sixteenth century, it contains some paintings by local authors.
31. Fontana di Capodimonte
The Capodimonte fountain is one of the historic fountains of Capodimonte (Naples); located at the Tondo di Capodimonte, in the immediate vicinity there is the Basilica dell'Incoronata Madre del Buon Consiglio and the monumental fountain of the Duchess.
32. Palazzo delle Arti Napoli
The Palazzo delle Arti di Napoli is a museum in the city of Naples, located in the historic Carafa di Roccella - a monumental building located in the neighbourhood of Chiaia, via dei Mille ; it hosts exhibitions of contemporary art in its many forms.
33. Basilica di San Paolo Maggiore
San Paolo Maggiore is a basilica church in Naples, southern Italy, and the burial place of Gaetano Thiene, known as Saint Cajetan, founder of the Order of Clerics Regular. It is located on Piazza Gaetano, about 1-2 blocks north of Via dei Tribunali.
34. Chiesa di Santa Caterina a Chiaia
Santa Caterina a Chiaia is a Roman Catholic church located on via Santa Caterina 76 in Naples, Italy. It is located near Piazza dei Martiri in the Chiaia section of the city, near where Via Santa Caterina flows toward the tree-shaded Via Chiaia.
35. Parco Archeologico del Pausilypon
The archaeological-environmental park of Posillipo or Pausilypon is an archaeological area in the Posillipo district of Naples opened in 2009. Access to the Park to visitors is from Coroglio 36 descent, through the imposing Grotta di Seiano.
36. Chiesa del Gesù delle Monache
Gesù delle Monache is a Roman Catholic church located near the Porta San Gennaro in central Naples, Italy. Over the years, the church was also a parish church known as San Giovanni Evangelista in Porta San Gennaro or San Giovanni in Porta.
37. Basilica di Santa Maria della Pazienza
The sanctuary of Santa Maria della Pazienza is a complex founded in 1601 and formed by an ancient hospital and the homonymous basilica church; stands in Naples in Piazza Cesarea, in the Avvocata district, near the Holy Trinity at Caesarea.
38. Chiesa dei Santi Alberto e Teresa
The church of Saints Joseph and Christopher, also known as the church of Saints Albert and Teresa, is a place of Catholic worship of historical and artistic interest in the historic center of Naples, located in Piazza Santa Maria la Nova.
39. Chiesa delle Crocelle ai Mannesi
The Church of St. Francis in Assisi, commonly known as the Church of Crocelle ai Mannesi, is a historical and artistic building in Naples, Italy. It is located in the center of the historic center, on the square of the same name.
40. Chiesa di San Severo fuori le mura
The church of San Severo fuori le mura (better known as San Severo alla Sanità) is an ancient church in Naples and is located in one of the most populous districts of the capital of Campania, in Piazza San Severo in Capodimonte.
41. Cappella Pontano
The Pontano Chapel or Cappella dei Pontano is a Renaissance-style chapel in central Naples, Italy, on Via Tribunali, just in front of and obscuring the left lower façade of the church of Santa Maria Maggiore alla Pietrasanta.
42. Villa Pignatelli
The Villa Pignatelli is a museum in Naples in southern Italy. The villa is located along the Riviera di Chiaia, the road bounding the north side of the Villa Comunale on the sea front between Mergellina and Piazza Vittoria.
43. Chiesa di San Carlo all'Arena
San Carlo all'Arena is a Roman Catholic church built in a Baroque-style layout with a Neoclassic façade, and located on via Foria in the quartiere or neighborhood of the San Carlo all'Arena, in the city of Naples, Italy.
44. Basilica di San Gennaro fuori le mura
San Gennaro extra Moenia is a church in Naples, Italy. It is located in the Rione Sanita on the large road that leads up to the Capodimonte museum and is an example of so-called paleo-Christian architecture in the city.
45. Cappella di San Giovanni dei Pappacoda
The Pappacoda chapel is a monumental chapel in Naples; It stands in Largo San Giovanni Maggiore, adjacent to the Basilica of San Giovanni Maggiore and in front of the Palazzo Giusso, in the historic center of the city.
46. Chiesa San Carlo Borromeo
Piazza San Carlo, previously known as Piazza Reale, Piazza d'Armi, and Place Napoléon, is one of the main city squares in Turin, Italy. It was laid out in the 16th and 17th century and is an example of Baroque style.
47. Chiesa dei Santi Marco e Andrea a Nilo
The church of Santi Marco e Andrea a Nilo is a former Roman Catholic church, located on via Paladino #50 in central Naples, Italy. It is less than a block east of the Santa Maria Assunta dei Pignatelli church.
48. Chiesa di Santa Maria in Cosmedin
The church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin or Santa Maria di Portanova is an ancient church of Naples located in Piazza Portanova, near Corso Umberto I. According to legend it was founded by Emperor Constantine I.
49. Fontana della Marinella al Carmine
The Marinella Fountain (al Carmine) is one of Naples's historic fountains; It is located in front of the vado del Carmine, just steps from the Aragon Tower of the demolished castello del Carmine, via Marina.
50. Chiesa di Santa Caterina da Siena
The church of Santa Caterina da Siena is located in the city center of Naples, Italy, and while built in the 16th century, the interior was decorated by Baroque era artists over the next two centuries.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.