Looking for premium sights?
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Messina:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Here you can find interesting sights in Messina, Italy. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 8 sights are available in Messina, Italy.List of cities in Italy Sightseeing Tours in Messina
1. Don Giovanni d'Austria
John of Austria or Don Giovanni d'Austria is a monumental sculpture in bronze, originally gilded, of John of Austria by architect and sculptor Andrea Calamech, a native of Carrara who trained in the Florentine workshop of Bartolomeo Ammannati. Its erection was decided by the Senate of Messina in 1571 to honor the victor of the Battle of Lepanto, from which many Messineses had benefited, and it was dedicated in 1572. William Stirling-Maxwell called it "one of the most effective monuments of sixteenth-century art". On the sides of the pedestal are bronze plaques depicting the fleet, the battle, and the fleet's victorious return to Messina as well as an inscription. John is figured holding a three-pronged baton in reference to his command of the triple alliance of Philip II, the Pope, and the Republic of Venice, with his foot on the severed head of a vanquished Turk generally considered to be Müezzinzade Ali Pasha.
2. Chiesa della Santissima Annunziata
The church of the Santissima Annunziata is a church in Messina, Camaro Inferiore, which has its origins in the eighteenth century. Damaged by the earthquake of December 28, 1908, it was replaced by a church-shack implanted on the opposite bank of the Camaro stream. Rebuilt in the thirties, not far from its original site, it consists of three naves and is completely in Romanesque style. Inside it is possible to admire the canvas of the Annunciation by the famous painter Adolfo Romano dating back to 1919, four frontals in Baroque style, two eighteenth-century statues depicting the Virgin of Sorrows and St. Louis, some sacred vases dating back to the XVII-XVIII century and various liturgical furnishings in gilded wood including a chair, in the main apse, of the eighteenth century.
3. Chiesa del Carmine
The "Sanctuary of Our Lady of Mount Carmel", better known as Carmine Church, is a Roman Catholic church in Via Porta Imperiale, Messina, Sicily. It replaces the former church, which was razed by the 1908 Messina earthquake. Located close to the Tribunal, the Carmine Church was rebuilt in 1930 in the eighteenth century Baroque or Rococo style. Designed by the architect Cesare Bazzani, the church was reconsecrated on 15 July 1931.
4. Chiesa di Santa Caterina di Valverde
The church of Santa Caterina di Valverde, also church of Santa Caterina Virgin and martyr, is a place of worship of Messina located in via Centonze near via Garibaldi. Belonging to the archdiocese of Messina-Lipari-San Lucia del Mela, Vicariate of Messina Centro under the patronage of the Madonna della Lettera, archpriest of Messina, parish of Santa Caterina di Valverde.
5. Fontana di Gennaro
The fountain of the Aquarium - popularly called fountain of Gennaro - is a monument of Messina, dating back to the early seventeenth century. Initially located at the intersection of Corso and Via del Collegio, it is now located in the homonymous square, between Corso Cavour and Via XXIV Maggio. After restoration work, in 2015 it was returned to view of the city.
6. Colonna dell'Immacolata
The column of the Immaculate or statue of the Immaculate or spire of the Immaculate or obelisk of the Immaculate is a monument of Messina placed in Piazza dell'Immacolata familiarly known and named in the city as Piazza Immacolata di Marmo, located on the north side of the cathedral behind the bell tower.
7. Duomo di Messina
Messina Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral located in Messina, Sicily. Formerly the episcopal seat of the Diocese of Messina, it became in 1986 the archiepiscopal seat of the Archdiocese of Messina-Lipari-Santa Lucia del Mela.
8. Forte Gonzaga
Forte Gonzaga, also known as Castel Gonzaga, is a bastioned fort in Messina, Sicily. It was built in the mid-16th century, and it remained in use by the military until 1973. Today, the fort is in good condition.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.