25 Sights in Livorno, Italy (with Map and Images)
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Livorno:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Explore interesting sights in Livorno, Italy. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 25 sights are available in Livorno, Italy.List of cities in Italy Sightseeing Tours in Livorno
1. Bagno Penale
The Bagno dei forzati, or Bagno delle galere, was a large building that, until the years before the Second World War, stood in Livorno, in the area of the current Government Palace, between the port and Piazza Grande. It also housed the hospital of Sant'Antonio and here were also the church of the Purification and that of Sant'Antonio, as well as the Tipografia Coltellini, where the first edition of Cesare Beccaria's Dei delitti e delle pene were printed and, in 1770, the third edition of the Encyclopédie ou Dictionnaire raisonnè des Sciences, des Arts et des Métiers by Diderot and D'Alembert.
2. Chiesa di Santa Giulia
The Oratory of Santa Giulia is a church in Livorno, consecrated to the patron saint of the city and born as an oratory of the Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament and Santa Giulia. The small place of worship stands next to the Duomo, a short distance from Piazza Grande. Attached to the church are the oratory of San Ranieri and the Museum of Santa Giulia. In the latter are preserved sacred furnishings and a table of Giotto's school depicting the homonymous saint, coming from the church of the brotherhood, and even more anciently from the destroyed parish church of Santa Giulia near the old port.
3. Acquedotto Leopoldino
The Acquedotto Leopoldino and the neoclassical cisterns of Livorno were part of a sophisticated scheme to not only provide water to Livorno, but also clean it. The scheme was centred on the 18 km (11 mi) long aqueduct which runs south to north bringing water to the city from Colognole. This feat of engineering first carried water to the city in 1816, long before its completion. It was Livorno's sole water supply until 1912, still serving some areas of the city.
4. Alle Vittime del Traghetto Moby Prince
The Moby Prince disaster was a major maritime accident resulting in 140 deaths. It occurred in the late evening of Wednesday 10 April 1991, in the harbor of Livorno, Italy. It is the worst disaster in the Italian merchant navy since World War II. It is also considered one of the two worst environmental disasters in Italian history, along with the explosion and loss of the tanker Amoco Milford Haven on the following day in an unrelated accident near Voltri.
5. Terrazza Mascagni
The Mascagni Terrace is one of the most elegant and evocative places in Livorno and is located on the seafront on the edge of Viale Italia. The original nucleus was built starting from the twenties of the twentieth century, but the terrace was considerably extended in the immediate post-war period, when it was named after the Livorno composer Pietro Mascagni.
6. Venezia Nuova
The New Venice is a neighborhood in Livorno, the only one in the city center which, after the devastations of the Second World War and the postbellic reconstruction, has preserved most of its urban and architectural vestiges. While not coinciding with the original nucleus of the Medici Livorno, it therefore represents the true historic center of the city.
7. Cisternino di Pian di Rota
The Cisternino di Pian di Rota is located in Livorno, in Pian di Rota, in the countryside a few kilometers from the city center. Until the last years of the nineteenth century it was connected to the water network and constituted a reservoir for the accumulation and purification of water. It is an important example of neoclassical architecture in Italy.
8. Museo ebraico Yeshivà Marini
The Jewish Museum Yeshivà Marini is located in Livorno, in via Micali, and is housed in the nineteenth -century oratory of a neoclassical building. It was inaugurated in 1992 and offers documentation on the Nazi -fascist persecutions implemented after the issue of racial laws, flanked by an exhibition of sacred art objects from the synagogue.
9. Chiesa di San Martino
The church of San Martino is located in Livorno, in the Salviano district. The building, which contains remains of a medieval parish church, is one of the oldest in the entire city and its name is remembered by the literate Carlo Bini (1806-1842) in the story to the people of the parish church of San Martino in Salviano.
10. Chiesa di Santa Caterina
Santa Caterina da Siena is a Baroque architecture, Roman Catholic church in the district Venezia Nuova central Livorno, region of Tuscany, Italy. It stands in front of the Piazza dei Domenicani. The church is notable for its tall octagonal dome and lantern rising above a rough, unfinished rectangular base.
11. Chiesa di Santa Maria del Soccorso
Santa Maria del Soccorso is a Neoclassical style, Roman Catholic, Marian votive church in central Livorno. The tall brick church facade is located scenically at the end of Via Magenta, and has a park surrounding it. In front is a Monument to Fallen Soldiers (Caduti) in the first World War.
12. Ai Caduti della Meloria
On 9 November 1971, a Royal Air Force Lockheed Hercules C.1 crashed into the sea off the coast of Livorno by Meloria shoal, Italy, killing all 46 passengers and 6 crew. At the time it was described by Italian officials as the worst military air disaster in Italy in peacetime.
13. Chiesa di San Ferdinando
San Ferdinando is a Baroque style, Roman Catholic church located in Venezia Nuova district next to Piazza del Luogo Pio in Livorno, region of Tuscany, Italy. It is also called San Ferdinando Re or the Church of the Crocetta. Nearby is the deconsecrated church of Sant'Anna.
14. Chiesa di Sant'Andrea
The church of Sant'Andrea is a place of worship in Livorno; It is located on the Cisternone square, in front of the characteristic size of the great preservation. Adjacent to the church is the great seminar Girolamo Gavi, with the Diocesan Museum Leonello Barsotti.
15. Casa natale di Amedeo Modigliani
The birthplace of Amedeo Modigliani is located in Livorno, in via Roma number 38, not far from the central Piazza Attias. Here, on July 12, 1884, the famous painter Labronico was born, the fourth son of a family belonging to the large Jewish community of Livorno.
16. Poggio Lecceta
The Poggio Lecceta, 457 meters above sea level, is the highest peak of the Livorno hills and is divided between the municipalities of Livorno and Collesalvetti. The summit is occupied by a radar station, whose radome can be seen from a great distance.
17. Chiesa di San Sebastiano
The church of San Sebastiano is located in the center of Livorno, in the area between the Duomo and the Porto Mediceo. Testimony of the presence in the city of the Barnabite order, today it is entrusted to the Institute of Christ the King High Priest.
18. Cappella di Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa Chapel is located in the Antinano district of Livorno; It is affiliated with the "Saint Teresa" religious college, maintained by the Carmel nuns, and is located in via del Littorale, near the Antignano Castle and Saint Lucia Church.
19. Chiesa della Madonna
The church of the Madonna, formally dedicated to Saints Mary, Julia and Francis, stands on the street of the same name, in the heart of Livorno, a few meters from the church of the United Greeks and the remains of the Armenian church.
20. Museo Civico Giovanni Fattori
The Giovanni Fattori Civic Museum is a museum structure of Livorno; He is located in the suggestive setting of Villa Mimbelli and was inaugurated in 1994 in the presence of the then President of the Republic Oscar Luigi Scalfaro.
21. Chiesa di San Matteo
The church of San Matteo is a church in Livorno, located along the Via Provinciale Pisana, near the Garibaldi Barrier. At the back of the building is the chapel de Larderel and, nearby, the oratory of Sant'Antonino.
22. Cappella della Sacra Famiglia
Sacra Famiglia Chapel is a small Catholic place of worship in Quercianella, Livorno City, near the railway station serving the town. There is also a church dedicated to Santa Ana in the center of the village.
23. Cappella di Maria Immacolata
The Chapel of Mary Immaculate is located in Livorno, behind the church of Soccorso, in via Serafino de Tivoli. It is attached to the "Immacolata" institute, held by the Mantellate Sisters Servants of Mary.
24. Castello del Boccale
The Boccale Castle is a residential building that rises in Livorno, south of the district of Antignano, along the coastal road to Quercianella in the stretch of coast called "Boccale" or "Cala dei Pirati".
25. Torre Maltarchiata
The Maltarchiata Tower, also called Torraccia or Castelletto, was one of the numerous towers originally placed at the entrance of the Porto Pisano and later incorporated into the port area of Livorno.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.