Explore interesting sights in Letterkenny, Ireland. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 5 sights are available in Letterkenny, Ireland.
1. Glebe House and Gallery
Glebe House and Glebe Gallery are located just outside the town of Letterkenny near Churchill. The English portrait and landscape painter Derek Hill lived and worked there from 1954 until he presented the house and his art collection to the Irish state in 1981. Hill's former studio has been converted into a modern gallery with changing exhibitions while his art collection is shown in his former home together with European and oriental furniture and William Morris wallpapers and fabrics. The collection includes works by Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque, Louis le Brocquy, Graham Sutherland, Auguste Renoir, Jack Butler Yeats, Oskar Kokoshka, Patrick Swift and the native Tory Island painter, James Dixon.
2. Cathedral of St. Eunan
St Eunan's Cathedral, or the Cathedral of St Eunan and St Columba as it is also known, is a cathedral in the parish of Conwal and Leck, part of the Diocese of Raphoe. Built between the years of 1890 and 1900, the cathedral is found in Letterkenny, County Donegal in Ireland. There are two cathedrals in the county; an older cathedral of the same name is found in the town of Raphoe, and since the Reformation, has been used by the Church of Ireland.
3. Newmills Corn and Flax Mills
Newmills Corn and Flax Mills is a grain mill located in County Donegal, Ireland. The mill is situated on the R250, Churchill road, beside Newmills Bridge on the south bank of the River Swilly, 5 kilometres west of Letterkenny in the small town of Milltown. It features one of the largest operating waterwheels in the country. The millrace is 1 km long and powers two separate millheels, one for grinding oats and barley and the other for flax.
4. Donegal County Museum
Donegal County Museum is a county museum in County Donegal in Ireland. Located on the High Road in Letterkenny, the museum building first opened to the public in 1845 as the Warden's House of the Letterkenny Workhouse. The building was repurposed as a museum in the late 20th century.
5. Inch Fort
Inch Fort, Lough Swilly, Inishowen, County Donegal was built between 1812 and 1813, during the Napoleonic Wars. It had positions for nine guns, six in an open battery and a further three in a blockhouse. Following the peace in 1815, the defences of Lough Swilly were neglected.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.