Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Sopron:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Explore interesting sights in Sopron, Hungary. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 7 sights are available in Sopron, Hungary.List of cities in Hungary Sightseeing Tours in Sopron
1. Szent Mihály főangyal templom
St. Michael's Church is the oldest parish church in Sopron. It is located along a very important traffic road, in the Szentmihálydomb district. In accordance with early medieval customs, it was built in a cemetery in the 13th century before the Tatar invasion, so it was placed outside the fortified city wall (Downtown). Originally built in the Romanesque style, the church was rebuilt in the 15th century in the Gothic style. After the fire in Sopron in 1728, it underwent a Baroque reconstruction, and it was Ferenc Storno who transformed the church in the neo-Gothic style, removing the baroque features. Today it is one of the most significant Gothic churches in Hungary.
2. Nagyboldogasszony (Bencés) templom
The Benedictine Church or Assumption Church, popularly known as the Goat Church, is a Gothic church built in the 13th and 14th centuries in honor of the Assumption on the south side of the Main Square in Sopron. The Franciscan monks first built their monastery in the center of the city, and then around 1280 they erected their church next to it from carved stone from Szentmargita, which is now considered one of the most outstanding works of Hungarian early Gothic architecture. Its nave vault and organ vault were built in the middle of the 15th century, and its furnishings are in the Baroque style.
The Pannonian Limes is that part of the old Roman fortified frontier known as the Danubian Limes that runs for approximately 420 km (260 mi) from the Roman camp of Klosterneuburg in the Vienna Basin in Austria to the castrum in Singidunum (Belgrade) in present-day Serbia. The garrisons of these camps protected the Pannonian provinces against attacks from the north from the time of Augustus (31 BC–14 AD) to the beginning of the 5th century. In places this section of the Roman limes also crossed the river into the territory of the barbarians (Barbaricum).
4. Firewatch Tower
The 58-meter-high Fire Tower in Sopron is a symbol of the city. It stands on the Main Square, built in the 13th century, and then served the city for centuries. It lost its stability at the end of the 19th century, during the construction of City Hall, and then its gate was narrowed for static reasons. It regained its original character during its ratification and restoration in 2009-2012.
On the site of the White Angel pharmacy, which opened in 1601, the country's first pharmacy museum was opened on June 11, 1968. The premises were furnished with furniture from the Black Elephant Pharmacy, which had previously operated in the Storno House. The exhibition on the history of pharmacy at the Sopron Museum can still be visited today.
Abricius House is one of the most distinctive buildings in Opron H Square. Building Z is built on the remains of Roman public buildings. The current form of the Z building is No. 14. It can be seen from the beginning of the century.
The Statue of the Holy Trinity in Sopron is one of the most valuable works of Baroque sculpture in Hungary. The richly decorated, sokalakos sculpture ensemble, dating from 1701, is located in the middle of the Main Square.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.