Book tickets, guided tours and activities in Weimar.
Guided Free Walking Tours
Book free guided walking tours in Weimar.
Explore interesting sights in Weimar, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 43 sights are available in Weimar, Germany.Sightseeing Tours in Weimar
The home table, derived from the Heymelisch, is on the part of the Damaschkestrasse in Weimar. Originally located in a meadow, today there are gardens there. The Heimrichstisch belonged to the hallway of Wallendorf desert, which is still reminiscent of the Wallendorfer Mühle, which is otherwise in Paul-Schneider-Straße. The table top is made of coarse -grained granite, while the stone benches consist of Travertin and Berkaer Buntsandstein. The number "1600" is striking at the table base, presumably the year of its construction. At this place, the owners of the Wallendorfer hallway held up until 1852. They formed their own hallway cooperative, which dissolved in 1877. The city took over this stone from the dissolving corridor cooperative on the condition of it "for eternal times". This was done with a decision of November 3, 1876, for which the city received 60 Taler from the desert box. Like the entire Wallendorf desert, it is a registered floor monument of the city of Weimar. In the Weimar City Archives is located to the Heimrichstisch u. The historical filing of files with regard to the leasing of the community area, which is followed by the Heimrichstisch or under the heading "Monuments of the city supervision".
The Herder Monument in the Tiefurt Palace Park near Weimar is a monument whose simplicity is reminiscent of the Dessauerstein in the Park an der Ilm, which was made according to the design of Adam Friedrich Oeser from 1782 and which was inscribed with the words "FRANCISCO / DESSAVIAE PRINCIPI" in 1787. The monument only shows the name "Herder" on a stone tablet adorned with a butterfly, which is located on a pyramidal rock arrangement. The rock stands for steadfastness and endurance. The execution does not correspond to the original wishes of Duchess Anna Amalia, who wished to see Latin verses dedicated to the Archbishop of Taranto Giuseppe Capecce-Latro on Herder's death on his grave (!) together with a translation in the "New Teutschen Merkur". For the translation, she chose the form of the elegy, which she made herself and which Christoph Martin Wieland corrected and commented on. It was published in 1804.
The Musent temple with a Kalliope by Martin Gottlieb Klauer on a square base in the middle was built in 1803 in the 21 hectare castle park at Weimar. The fact that Klauer says Kalliope and not Polyhymnia emerges from his Toreutik catalog. The polyhymnia also has a lyra here, but the Kalliope with the same posture as the one in Tiefurt, on the other hand. In addition to the tea house, it is one of the most important components of the Parkkarchitecture of Tiefur. However, he had already prompted Anna Amalia and built in 1784, which was supposed to commemorate the ancient tibur. Previously, the figure group Kaunos and Byblis, which was also created by Martin Gottlieb Klauer in 1780, was also here. This is a copy of this group after a cast from the Mannheim anti -navigation hall, which Anna Amalia ordered from Johann Heinrich Merck. This group of figures came to the Herzogin-Anna-Amalia library in 1807.
4. Große Grotte
The large grotto on the western southern slope of the Belvedere park near Weimar is an artificial ruin built around 1815. Her base stirred from the "grotto with water jokes", which is still in the reign of Duchess Anna Amalia, who received the shape of a dilapidated chapel through various remodes and conversions through which the wind is crying. An Äolsharfe once on the oldan reinforced the impression. The design corresponds to the parking car of the age of romance. There is a wall well in a niche of the ground floor. The interior of the ground floor can be viewed through a lattice door. On the upper plateau, an oldan offers a view of the Possenbach valley. A bridge led over an arch leads up to this. In the 1970s and the 1990s, their condition required security measures. In 2014, the restoration measures on the large grotto continued.
5. Stadtkirche St. Peter und Paul
The church of St Peter and Paul in Weimar, Germany, is also known as Herderkirche after Johann Gottfried Herder. It is the most important church building of the town, and is called Stadtkirche, opposed to the courtly Schloßkirche. It has been the church of a Lutheran parish since 1525, after the Reformation. The church is part of the World Heritage Site Classical Weimar, together with other sites affiliated with the Weimar Classicism movement. Inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1998, these sites bear testimony to the cultural importance of Weimar during the late 18th and 19th centuries and the outstanding architecture that arose in response to the cultural values of the time.
6. Schloss Belvedere
The Baroque palace Schloss Belvedere on the outskirts of Weimar, is a pleasure-house (Lustschloss) built for house-parties, built in 1724–1732 to designs of Johann August Richter and Gottfried Heinrich Krohne for Ernst August, Duke of Saxe-Weimar. The corps de logis is flanked by symmetrical pavilions. Today it houses part of the art collections of Weimar, with porcelains and faience, furniture and paintings of the eighteenth century. As the summer residence, its gardens, laid out in the French style in 1728–1748, were an essential amenity. A wing of the Orangery in the Schlosspark contains a collection of historical carriages.
7. municipality, temporary place of Lord Mayor
The Wilhelm-Ernst-Gymnasium is a secondary school on Herderplatz 14 in Weimar, Germany. Founded in 1712 by Duke William Ernest of Saxe-Weimar, it is the oldest school building in the city. Numerous notable figures such as Johann Gottfried Herder, Johann Heinrich Voss, Friedrich Wilhelm Riemer and Johann Karl August Musäus studied here. It is a designated historic site and is one of the few secular buildings of the pre-classical period still remaining in Weimar. It is prominently located in the urban center and is one of three sites forming the UNESCO World Heritage Site Classical Weimar, created in 1998.
The Leutra sources are three karst and fault sources of the Leutra in the park on the Ilm in Weimar. The source is on the right of the Ilm south of the star bridge at the foot of the horn. At the end of the 18th century, two of the sources were artistically designed as Sphinx grotto and as a so -called ox eye. The Sphinx grotto was built in 1784 by Duke Carl August by Martin Gottlieb Klauer, who created it after designs by Georg Melchior Kraus. The ensemble is one of the oldest facilities in the park and is now part of the World Heritage Site "Classical Weimar".
The original Goethe–Schiller Monument is in Weimar, Germany. It incorporates Ernst Rietschel's 1857 bronze double statue of Johann Wolfgang Goethe (1749–1832) and Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805), who are probably the two most revered figures in German literature. The monument has been described "as one of the most famous and most beloved monuments in all of Germany" and as the beginning of a "cult of the monument". Dozens of monuments to Goethe and to Schiller were built subsequently in Europe and the United States.
In the park of Belvedere (Weimar) near the road to Possendorf and Vollersroda, the ice cream house built around 1863 with a stone bench and flower basket is located. The flower basket is opposite the stone bench. The stone bench has no backrest, but volute on the seat. The legs are decorated with triglyphs. Both are made of sandstone. It was created during the reign of Grand Duke Carl Alexander, for whom it was the fridge. After this there were no significant changes in the Park of Belvedere.
11. Russisch Orthodoxe Kirche
The Russian Orthodox Chapel is a funerary chapel built in Weimar in 1860 for Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna of Russia. It was constructed in the Historical Cemetery behind the Weimarer Fürstengruft, to which it is connected by an underground passage. Maria Pavlovna's coffin is located in the passage, with her husband Charles Frederick's coffin placed directly beside it. A spiral staircase leads to another underground connection to the Fürstengruft, though this is now closed by a metal plate.
The tea house or salon in the Schlosspark von Tiefurt was built in 1805. Before that, there was a bark-clad pavilion in place. It has a rectangular floor plan with two upstream square stems. The large light-flowing windows and the Walmroof, which reminds of Chinese models of pagoda construction, are striking. The walls consist of a framework with brick mastering. The two steps of stairs are made of sandstone. The tea salon reminds of the tea company around Duchess Anna Amalia.
13. Fakultät Architektur und Urbanistik- Hauptgebäude
The Grand-Ducal Saxon Art School, Weimar was founded on 1 October 1860, in Weimar, Germany, by a decree of Charles Alexander, Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. It existed until 1910, when it merged with several other art schools to become the Großherzoglich Sächsische Hochschule für Bildende Kunst. It should not be confused with the Weimar Princely Free Drawing School, which existed from 1776 to 1930 and, after 1860, served as a preparatory school.
The Park an der Ilm is a large Landschaftspark in Weimar, Thuringia. It was created in the 18th century, influenced by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, and has not been changed much, preserving a park of the period. It forms part of the World Heritage Site "Classical Weimar along with other sites across Weimar bearing testimony to the city's historical importance as a cultural hub during the Weimar Classicism movement in the late 18th and 19th centuries".
15. Schloss Tiefurt
Tiefurt House is a small stately home on the Ilm river in the Tiefurt quarter of Weimar, about 4 km east of the city centre. It was the summer residence of duchess Anna Amalia of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel. Because of its importance as a centre of culture during the Weimar Classicism movement of the late 18th and early 19th centuries, the Tiefurt House was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1998 as part of the Classical Weimar site.
16. Deutsches Nationaltheater und Staatskapelle Weimar
The Deutsche Nationaltheater und Staatskapelle Weimar (DNT), or German National Theater and Weimar State Orchestra, is the most significant arts organization in Weimar. The institution unites the Deutsches Nationaltheater with the Staatskapelle Weimar. It plays on a total of six stages across the city. All sections of the theater and orchestra periodically give additional guest performances and appear in electronic media.
The Ernst-Thälmann monument on Buchenwaldplatz in the northern suburb of Weimar, inaugurated on August 17, 1958, is considered a monument to the murder of 56,000 prisoners in the former Buchenwald concentration camp. It is particularly dedicated to the political opponents of the Nazi regime, fellow inmates of the concentration camp and former chairman of the Communist Party of Germany Ernst Thälmann (1886–1944).
The Wittumspalais is a museum in Weimar operated by the Weimar Foundation. The building was a long -time widow's seat of Duchess Anna Amalia and formed a center of social and literary life in Weimar during her lifetime. It is located between Theaterplatz, Schillerstraße, the Zeughof and the Restrasse. The access road in the middle of the old town, which leads past the Franciscan monastery, is called the Palais.
The nursery on Belvedere at Weimar is significantly larger than that of the park on the ILM, which is located in the area of the Liszt house because the need for flowers is much larger than there and not solely covered by the orangeries. The gardening should have happened around 1730. The court gardener Johann David Gentzsch was commissioned to create gardens in 1730. You also needed numerous flowers.
20. Goethe-National-Museum/Goethes Wohnhaus
The Goethe-Nationalmuseum is a museum devoted to the German author Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, in the town of Weimar in Germany. Originally comprising the Goethe House, where Goethe lived intermittently for 50 years from 1782 to 1832, the museum was founded on 8 August 1885 as a result of the will of Goethe's last living heir, his grandson Walther von Goethe, who left the Goethe House to the state.
21. Christoph Martin Wieland
Christoph Martin Wieland was a German poet and writer. He is best-remembered for having written the first Bildungsroman, as well as the epic Oberon, which formed the basis for Carl Maria von Weber's opera of the same name. His thought was representative of the cosmopolitanism of the German Enlightenment, exemplified in his remark: "Only a true cosmopolitan can be a good citizen."
The former residence of the theologian and philosopher Johann Gottfried Herder is located in the centre of the old town of Weimar at Herderplatz 8, to the left behind the town church of St. Peter and Paul, called "Herderkirche" for short, where he worked until his death as senior pastor and general superintendent of the Duchy of Saxe-Weimar.
23. Brunnen am Graben
To the left of the Kasseturm in Weimar am Böhlau-Haus (city archive) is a fountain that used to have a different location as a city wall fountain or as a fountain on the Graben and was called Bankstraßenbrunnen because it was now on Bankstrasse, today Bettina-von Arnim-Straße am Jägerhaus, was standing. The ditch is a listed street.
24. Museum für Ur-und Frühgeschichte Thüringens
The Museum of Prehistory and Early History in Thuringia combines a museum with a 1000 m² exhibition area and the Thuringian State Office for the Preservation of Monuments and Archeology under one roof, which is a carrier of the museum. The address of the museum is: Humboldtstraße 11, 99423 Weimar. However, access is in Amalienstrasse.
25. Schiller Museum
The Schillerhaus Weimar is a museum operated by the Klassik Stiftung Weimar in the former home of Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805) in Weimar. In 1988, the new building of the Schiller Museum was erected behind the residential building, which is now used for special and temporary exhibitions of the Klassik Stiftung Weimar.
26. Haus am Horn
The Haus am Horn is a domestic house in Weimar, Germany, designed by Georg Muche. It was built for the Bauhaus Werkschau exhibition which ran from July to September 1923. It was the first building based on Bauhaus design principles, which revolutionized 20th century architectural and aesthetic thinking and practice.
27. Beatae Mariae Virginis
The Protestant village church Beatae Mariae Virginis, also called Marienkirche, is located in the Ehringsdorf district on the village long of the independent city of Weimar in Thuringia. It belongs to the parish of Oberweimar-Ehringsdorf in the Weimar church district of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
28. Goethes Gartenhaus
Goethe's garden house in the park on the Ilm zu Weimar was a residential and workplace Johann Wolfgang von Goethes. As part of the “Classical Weimar” ensemble, it has been part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1998. The Corona Schröter-Weg runs past this. It stands at the foot of the horn.
Hetzerhallen are column-free halls with a roof structure made of glued laminated timber or laminated beams, which were named after the inventor of their roof or hall structure, the Grand Duchy of Weimar's court carpenter and entrepreneur Karl Friedrich Otto Hetzer (1846–1911).
30. Buchenwald Memorial
Buchenwald was a Nazi concentration camp established on Ettersberg hill near Weimar, Germany, in July 1937. It was one of the first and the largest of the concentration camps within Germany's 1937 borders. Many actual or suspected communists were among the first internees.
The Klassik Stiftung Weimar is one of the largest and most significant cultural institutions in Germany. It owns more than 20 museums, palaces, historic houses and parks, as well as literary and art collections, a number of which are World Heritage Sites.
32. Sankt Christophorus
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Christophorus is located in the district of Tiefurt in Weimar, Thuringia. It belongs to the church of Weimar in the Evangelical Church in Central Germany and is historically closely connected to the Schloss Tiefurt.
The Roman Catholic parish church Herz Jesus stands in the Thuringian district-free town of Weimar. It is the parish church of the parish of Jesus Weimar in the dean of Weimar, the diocese of Erfurt. She carries the patrozium of the Holy Heart of Jesus.
34. St. Mauritius
The village church of St. Mauritius is located in the district of Niederrunstedt of the city of Weimar in Thuringia. It belongs to the parish association Buchfart-Fleifeld in the Weimar church district of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
The Cattle Auction Hall was a listed market and event hall in the city of Weimar in Thuringia, in the immediate vicinity of Weimar's Hetzerhallen in Rießnerstraße in Weimar-Nord. It was built in 1938–39 and destroyed by arson in April 2015.
36. Kurt Nehrling
A Stolperstein is a ten-centimetre (3.9 in) concrete cube bearing a brass plate inscribed with the name and life dates of victims of Nazi extermination or persecution. Literally, it means 'stumbling stone' and metaphorically 'stumbling block'.
37. Kirche Gelmeroda
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Weimar has been a member of the local Evangelical Lutheran Church since 1928, and a church in Central Germany since 2009. Originally, the church of England was ordained as the Church of England in 1899.
The Jakobskirche in Weimar is a church building of the Baroque. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and Christiane Vulpius were married in their sacristy. The associated Jakobsfriedhof houses the graves of Lucas Cranach and Friedrich Schiller.
40. Zu den Vierzehn Heiligen
The Protestant village church Zu den 14 Heiligen is located in the Süßenborn district of the city of Weimar in Thuringia. It belongs to the parish of Weimar in the Weimar church district of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
41. Ringwallanlage Brunfthof
The Brunthof Ring Wall was located north of Weimar on the Ettersberg in the center of a hunting star near the Castle Ettersburg near Ettersburg in the north of the Weimar Land district in Thuringia. The hunting star has its own story.
42. Sankt Peter und Paul
43. Sankt Marien
St. Mary's Evangelical Church is located in the Tröbsdorf district of the city of Weimar in Thuringia, Germany. It belongs to the parish of Weimar in the Weimar church district of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.