Explore interesting sights in Würzburg, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 31 sights are available in Würzburg, Germany.Sightseeing Tours in Würzburg
1. MarienkapelleBook Ticket*
The Marienkapelle is a Roman Catholic church located at the Unterer Markt of the town of Würzburg, Bavaria. It was built in the Gothic style in the 14th century. Despite its large size, it is a chapel by status, as it does not have a parish. Today it is administered by the united parishes of the Würzburg Cathedral and the Kollegiatstift Neumünster.
2. Marienberg FortressBook Ticket*
Marienberg Fortress is a prominent landmark on the left bank of the Main river in Würzburg, in the Franconia region of Bavaria, Germany. It is a symbol of Würzburg and served as a home of the local prince-bishops for nearly five centuries. It has been a fort since ancient times, although most of the current structures were built in Renaissance and Baroque styles between the 16th and 18th centuries. After Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden conquered the area in 1631 during the Thirty Years' War, the castle was reconstructed as a Baroque residence. After it ceased to serve as residence of the Bishops of Würzburg, the fortress saw repeated action in the wars of the late 18th and 19th centuries. It was severely damaged by British bombs in March 1945 and only fully rebuilt in 1990. Today, it houses two museums.
3. Sankt Stephan
St. Stephan, also called Stephanskirche, has been the first longer existing Evangelical Church of Würzburg since 1803. It goes back to the monastery church of a Benedictine convention of St. Stephan, which was dissolved by secularization. A few years earlier, the old building of the monastery church was largely demolished in 1788/89 and a new building was built according to Johann Philipp Geigel plans. The old building with the associated monastery buildings goes back to 1014, namely to a former St. Peter and Paul college pencil, which was converted into a Benedictine monastery by Bishop Adalbero in 1057. After the transfer of relics of St. Stephanus, it was only named after this, while the name St. Peter and Paul was transferred to the new parish church. The monastery buildings were used profane after 1803, totally destroyed and removed in 1945. New buildings took up the government of Lower Franconia. The church was rebuilt in 1949–1955 as a flat hedged hall building, inaugurated in 1952 and is now the dean's church of Würzburg. In addition to the existing CVJM from 1963, institutions such as the Rudolf Alexander-Schröder-Haus, an Evangelical bookstore and a advice center of the Diakonie were created in addition to the existing CVJM, which made the place a Würzburg Evangelical Center.
4. Würzburg Cathedral
Würzburg Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Würzburg in Bavaria, Germany, dedicated to Saint Kilian. It is the seat of the Bishop of Würzburg and has served as the burial place for the Prince-Bishops of Würzburg for hundreds of years. With an overall length of 103 metres, it is the fourth largest Romanesque church building in Germany, and a masterpiece of German architecture from the Salian period. Notable later additions include work by Tilman Riemenschneider and Balthasar Neumann. The cathedral was heavily damaged by British bombs in March 1945 but rebuilt post-World War II.
St. Adalbero is a Catholic parish church opened in 1899, was an exposure from 1905 and has also been a parish in the Sanderau district of Würzburg since 1914, which is immediately connected to the city center in the south. Together with the Church of St. Andreas, it forms the parish community of Sanderau and is an outstanding example of neuromanic architecture. The art historical importance of the Adalbero Church for Würzburg consists above all in the fact that at the time of the construction, all sculptors and painters based in Würzburg have participated in the interior design.
The Neubaukirche is a former university church and profaned Renaissance church in Würzburg, which today serves as an auditorium for the University of Würzburg. It is considered one of the most important church buildings of the Renaissance north of the Alps. Construction began in 1583 by master builder Georg Robin and was completed between 1696 and 1704 by Antonio Petrini and Joseph Greissing, who mainly rebuilt the upper floors of the tower, including the dome and lantern. After severe damage in the Second World War, the new church was rebuilt between 1970 and 1985.
7. St. Johannis
The St. Johannis Church is the second Evangelical Lutheran parish church in Würzburg after St. Stephen's and at the same time the first to be built by the Protestant community itself. It was consecrated to John the Baptist on June 24, 1895. The church, which was rebuilt after being destroyed during the war and reconsecrated in 1957, is located in Würzburg's city centre, about 200 metres northeast of the Residenz at the junction of Hofstallstraße and Husarenstraße. Due to the road network, it is not exactly oriented, but points to the northeast.
8. Berta Bloch
This list of Stumbling Stones in Würzburg contains the Stumbling Stones that were laid as part of the art project of the same name by Gunter Demnig in Würzburg, the capital of the administrative district of Lower Franconia. On each of the concrete blocks with an edge length of ten centimeters, which are embedded in the sidewalks in front of the former homes of the victims, a brass plaque is anchored on the top. This provides information about the names, year of birth and fate of the persons to be commemorated.
9. Alte Mainbrücke
The Old Main Bridge is the oldest bridge over the Main River in Würzburg and a landmark of the city. Begun in the 15th century, the structure was Würzburg's only river crossing until 1886. The bridge, part of the East-West Passage, connects the old town on the right bank of the Main with the Marienberg Fortress at Main kilometre 252.32. It is used by pedestrians and cyclists. In the 18th century, the Old Main Bridge, like Prague's Charles Bridge, continued a tradition begun in Rome with the Ponte Sant'Angelo.
10. Stift Haug
The parish church of St. Johannes in Würzburg, located in the Haug district, is called Haug, the associated parish as St. Johannes in Abbey Haug. The former collegiate church belonged to the Haug collegiate pencil until the secularization in 1803. The Church, consecrated to the Baptist and John, was completed in 1691 after plans by Antonio Petrini. The two towers of the Haug Abbey are the second highest church towers in Würzburg with a height of 75 meters.
The Carmelite Church St. Joseph and St. Maria Magdalena in Würzburg was built by Antonio Petrini from 1662 to 1669. The cross -shaped baroque building with a well -structured facade is the monastery church of the Würzburg Carmelite monastery St. Maria Magdalena. It was not until 1997 to 2001 that the church received a new equipment as a replacement for the one under the Second World War. It is still referred to as the hub church today.
Johann Georg Oegg was an Austrian prince-bishop's court locksmith and blacksmith who worked in Vienna and Würzburg. Among other things, he was commissioned by Prince Eugene to create the gates of the gardens for his palaces Belvedere in Vienna and Hof Palace, as well as gates for the Court of Honour of the Würzburg Residence and its adjoining court garden on behalf of three or four prince-bishops of Würzburg.
13. Berliner Meilenstein
The Berlin Milestones are small monuments with mileage to the German capital Berlin. At the time of German division in the second half of 20th century, the milestones were furnished in numerous location in former West Germany. It has the Berlin Bear on it. After the German Reunification it remained as a memorial of the history of German division. Many of the monuments are located on highways and federal roads.
14. St. Norbert
St. Norbert is a Catholic parish church in the municipality of Höchberg in the district of Würzburg in Bavaria in Germany. It was built in 1981/82 according to plans by the local architect Rainer Gärtner. The modern tent roof construction characterizes the townscape of the Hexenbruch district with its extraordinary appearance. There is also a smaller adjoining church where the children's service is held.
The Marienkirche, Würzburg is a chapel located in the inner court of Marienberg Fortress in Würzburg, Bavaria. The first Christian church at this location was built in 706 by Duke Hedan II. The structure of today's building can be traced back to the early 11th century. It is the oldest church in Würzburg and the oldest building in the fortress.
16. Pfeifer von Niklashausen
Hans Böhm, also known as the Drummer of Niklashausen, was born in the village of Helmstadt in the south-central region of Germany known as Franconia. The year of Böhm's birth is unknown; peasants made little impact in the written historical record. Böhm was a religious revolutionary: his inconspicuous existence changed abruptly.
17. Museum im Kulturspeicher
The Museum im Kulturspeicher in Würzburg displays art from the 19th century to the present. It is located in a converted river-side warehouse since 2002. After the previous director Marlene Lauter retired after nearly 30 years of service, the art historian Luisa Heese took over as director of the museum on September 1, 2020
The so-called Schönborn Chapel at the northern transept of Würzburg Cathedral was built from 1721 onwards mainly by Balthasar Neumann on behalf of Johann Philipp Franz von Schönborn until 1724 (shell construction) and from 1731 to 1736 by Friedrich Carl von Schönborn as a burial place for the Schönborn family.
19. Eisenbahnmuseum Würzburg
The Würzburg railway museum is a railway museum of the German Society for Railway History (DEGION) in Würzburg. The mobile museum with a location at Würzburg-Zell trained organizes public trips and special trips in the greater Würzburg area with the 1943 freight train steam locomotive 52 7409 of the 52 series.
20. St. Elisabeth / Heiligkreuz
The parish church Heiligkreuz Würzburg is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Zellerau district of Würzburg, Germany. It is located at the corner of Sedanstraße and Friedrichstraße and is a protected monument with the file number D-6-63-000-165 of the Bavarian State Office for the Preservation of Monuments.
The Lusam garden is a small walled courtyard in Martinstraße 4 on the north side of the Neumünsterkirche in Würzburg. It was originally created in the middle of the late Romanesque cloister of the Neumünsterstift. The tomb for the minstrel Walther von der Birdweide is located inside the garden.
22. Röntgen-Gedächtnisstätte Würzburg
The Röntgen Memorial Site in Würzburg, Germany, is dedicated to the work of the German physicist Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen (1845–1923) and his discovery of X-rays, for which he was granted the Nobel Prize in physics. It contains an exhibition of historical instruments, machines and documents.
The Gethsemanekirche in the Heuchelhof district of Würzburg is a parish church of the Evangelical Lutheran Deanery in Würzburg. It was built in 1998-2001 according to plans by Alexander von Branca. The architect had also planned the Michaelskirche on the Schwanberg in the Kitzingen district.
24. Bismarckturm Würzburg
The Bismarck Tower in Würzburg is a 15 m high lookout tower in the Bismarckswäldchen above the vineyard on the stone. It was built in 1905 and - like all other Bismarck towers built in Germany - was also a monument to the Otto von Bismarck, who was revered as co -founder of the German Reich.
25. Universelles Leben
Universal Life is the name of a controversial new religious movement based in Marktheidenfeld, Germany, which is described by members as a part of the new revelation movement. The group was originally called Heimholungswerk Jesu Christi, but has been known as Universal Life since 1984.
27. Franziskanerkirche (Heilig Kreuz)
The Franciscan Church is a Catholic church building in Würzburg of the Franciscan minority monastery in Würzburg. The monastery church of the Franciscan order is located in the city center between Franziskanergasse and Franziskanerplatz.
28. St. Sebastian
The parish church of St. Sebastian in the Heuchelhof district of Würzburg is a parish church of the Catholic Deanery of Würzburg-Stadt. The church was built in the years 1976–1977 according to plans by Friedrich Ebert.
29. Botanischer Garten
The Botanischer Garten der Universität Würzburg is a botanical garden maintained by the University of Würzburg. It is located at Julius-von-Sachs-Platz 4, Würzburg, Bavaria, Germany, and open daily; admission is free.
The Martin von Wagner Museum contains the art collection of the University of Würzburg and has been located in the south wing of the Würzburg Residence since 1963. It is among the largest university museums in Europe.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.