Explore interesting sights in Schwerin, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 20 sights are available in Schwerin, Germany.Sightseeing Tours in Schwerin
1. Mecklenburg State Theatre
The Mecklenburg State Theatre is the principal theatre of Schwerin in Germany. Its main theatre seats 650 people and is used for the performance of plays, opera, musical theatre and ballet. Designed by Georg Daniel, the present building was built between 1883 and 1886 after the previous court theatre had been destroyed by fire in 1882. It was inaugurated on 3 October 1886 with a performance of Gluck's Iphigénie en Aulide with Marie Wittich in the title role. The complex also includes the State Museum in Schwerin and a 240-seat concert hall, now used for performances of chamber works.
2. Schweriner Marstall
Mecklenburg-Marstall of Schwerin, the state capital of Western Pomerania, is located on a small promontory, formerly Wadewiesen, now Marstall Peninsula, on the west bank of Schwerin Inner Lake in Werderstraße. In 2009, the area was integrated into the site of the 2009 Federal Garden Exhibition. Marstall has been home to the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture since 1990, a temporary part of the National Museum of Technology since 1997 and the Ministry of Labour, Equality and Social Affairs since 2009.
The former urban electricity plant on the northeastern bank of the Pfaffenteich of the city of Schwerin served from 1904 to 1969 the production of electric electricity and was in operation as a switchgear in the urban power grid until 1999. The building under monument protection has been used culturally since 1998-as a venue for the State Theater, the doll's stage, the Fritz-Reuter-stage and for the Kunstverein Schwerin.
The market in Schwerin is a rectangular historic market square in the old town of Schwerin, whose history dates back to the founding of the city in 1160. To distinguish it from the shelf market of the Neustadt (Schelfe), which was independent until 1832, it is also known as the Old Town Market. It is located south of the cathedral. Four of the buildings surrounding the square are listed as historical monuments.
5. Schweriner Zoo
The Schwerin Zoological Garden is a medium-sized, year-round zoo with about 2400 animals in 154 species and almost 138,000 visitors annually in the south of the state capital Schwerin. The zoo stretches between the southern shore of Lake Schwerin, the Fauler See and the residential area of Großer Dreesch and covers an area of about 25 hectares. It is managed in the corporate form of a gGmbH.
6. Staatliches Museum Schwerin
The Staatliches Museum Schwerin is an art gallery and museum in Schwerin in Germany. It was established by Frederick Francis II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin in 1882 its historicist Haupthaus as the Staatsgalerie next to the Staatstheater. Its other locations are opposite the Schweriner Schloss and in the former residences at Schloss Güstrow and Schloss Ludwigslust.
7. Demmler Mausoleum
Georg Adolph Demmler was a German architect, socialist and politician, first of the left-liberal South German People's Party (DtVP) and later of the Socialist Workers' Party of Germany (SAP). As an architect, he created many buildings that continue to shape the cityscape of Schwerin to this day. Some are listed as historical monuments.
The Church of St. Nikolai Schwerin, also known as the Schelfkirche, is a baroque brick church in the Schwerin district of Schelfstadt in the form of a central building from the early 18th century. It is one of the few baroque brick churches in northern Germany and the first major post-Reformation church building in Mecklenburg.
The Schwerin grinding mill is a grinding mill driven by an undershot water wheel for processing stones from the 18th century in the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern state capital Schwerin. After the closure of operations, the mill was converted into a museum facility in 1985. The building is a technical cultural monument.
10. Wasserturm Schwerin-Neumühle
The water tower is located in the Schwerin district of Neumühle on the street "Am Wasserturm". With its location on the 86.1 m high vineyard, it is located on the highest point of the city of Schwerin and is still integrated into the drinking water network as a pressure compensation tank.
11. Jagdschloss Friedrichsthal
The Jagdschloss Friedrichsthal is a former hunting residence of the Mecklenburg Grand Duke Friedrich Franz I in Friedrichsthal, now a district of Schwerin. The hunting lodge and the cavalier houses that formerly belonged to the palace complex are listed as historical monuments.
12. Kollegiengebäude I
The Collegiate Building I is a representative, listed building in the old town of Schwerin. The building is located at Schloßstraße (Schwerin) 2/4 and is adjacent to the Old Garden. Today it is the seat of the State Chancellery of the State of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.
13. Altes Palais
The Old Palace in Schwerin, the capital of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, is a half-timbered building on the Alter Garten. The building, which was once used as a ducal residence, is now the seat of the state parliament administration. It is a listed building.
15. Propsteikirche Sankt Anna
The Provost Church of St. Anna in Schwerin is the mother church of all Catholic churches in Mecklenburg and was for a time the seat of an auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Hamburg in his function as episcopal vicar in Mecklenburg.
16. Friedrich Franz II
The equestrian monument of Friedrich Franz II in Schwerin is the only historical equestrian monument in Mecklenburg and the main work of the sculptor Ludwig Brunow. It is located in the Schwerin castle garden very close to the castle.
The Victory Column on the Old Garden in Schwerin is a "monument to the people of Mecklenburg who remained in the war of 1870/71". On the column stands the allegorical figure of Megalopolis, which personifies the state of Mecklenburg.
The Schwerin Castle Bridge is a 48-metre-long, arch-shaped bridge that spans the northern of the two water connections between Lake Schwerin and Lake Burg, connecting Schwerin Castle on the Castle Island with the city of Schwerin.
19. Reppiner Burg
The Reppin Castle is an artificial ruin, which was built in 1907 as an incomplete castle complex on the southern shore of Lake Schwerin. Today it lies within the urban area of Schwerin in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
The castle church in Schwerin Castle is today the church of a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in northern Germany. It combines building elements from the Renaissance and Neo-Gothic styles.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.