Explore interesting sights in Saarbrücken, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 29 sights are available in Saarbrücken, Germany.Sightseeing Tours in Saarbrücken
The Johanneskirche is a Protestant church in Saarbrücken, Germany, completed in 1898. It is located in the district of St. Johann (Saar), opposite the town hall of St. Johann. The neo-Gothic church survived the Second World War almost without damage, although the air raids on Saarbrücken had largely destroyed the city. The church underwent a purifying transformation in the post-war period. Today, St. John's Church is not only used for church services, but also for rallies and cultural events. In the list of monuments of the Saarland, the church is listed as a single monument. The church is assigned to the Saar-West church district of the Evangelical Church in the Rhineland. The tower of St. John's Church with its height of 74 m is currently the highest church tower in Saarland with an original height of 75 m after the war destruction of the tower of Saarbrücken's St. Joseph's Church.
The Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart in Saarbrücken was designed by the architects Ludwig Becker and Anton Falkowski and inaugurated in 1914. The neo-Romanesque church is dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus as a patron saint. The Feast of the Patron Saint is the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus on the third Friday after Pentecost. The church, which is listed as an individual monument in the list of monuments of the Saarland, is located at Odilienbergstraße 1, in the Saarbrücken district of Burbach. The Herz-Jesu-Kirche is historically the third Catholic church of the municipality of Malstatt-Burbach, which was independent from 1874/75 to 1909, after the St. Eligius Church in Burbach and St. Joseph's Church in Malstatt. The church is assigned to the diocese of Trier.
3. Gedenkstätte „Ehemaliges Gestapo-Lager Neue Bremm“
Neue Bremm was a Nazi torture camp in Saarbrücken, set up in 1943 by the Gestapo intentionally with no oversight from other institutions. It was designed to break prisoners who were not destined for immediate death. Some prisoners were held only for a few weeks, others, much longer; both men, and women. During that time they were put to work in slave-labour commandos and broken. Those who survived purposeful starvation were sent on to Nazi concentration camps such as Buchenwald. Approximately 20,000 men and women passed through Neue Bremm, including Jews from occupied Eastern Europe as well as Frenchmen, Belgians, Britons and Italians. However, the total number of casualties remains unknown.
4. Pfarrkirche St. Michael
St. Michael is a Roman Catholic church in the St. Johann district of Saarbrücken, which was built between 1923 and 1924 according to plans by the architect Hans Herkommer. Since then, it has been the largest church building in the Saarland state capital in front of the Protestant Ludwigskirche. In addition to the so-called Saardom in Dillingen/Saar, St. Ingbert's St. Joseph's Church and St. Joseph's Church in Malstatt, St. Michael's Church is one of the largest churches in Saarland. The church is assigned to the diocese of Trier. The patron saint's day of the church is the feast of St. Michael the Archangel on September 29.
The Christkönig Church is a Roman Catholic parish church in St. Arnual, a district of Saarbrücken, Saarland, Germany. The patron saint is Christ the King. In the list of monuments of the Saarland, the church is listed as an individual monument in the ensemble An der Christ-König-Kirche. With regard to the Christological intention of its iconography, the sacred building, designed in an expressionist interpretation of Romanesque and Byzantine formal language, is of particular theological and art-historical importance. The parish belongs to the diocese of Trier.
6. Alter Saarkran
The Saarkran in Saarbrücken, originally called "Saarkrahnen", was a baroque harbour crane, erected according to plans and under the direction of Friedrich Joachim Stengel in 1761/1762 on the orders of Prince Wilhelm Heinrich of Saarbrücken-Nassau. Today's crane is a replica, erected at the same location south of the Wilhelm Heinrich Bridge on the left bank of the Saar. It is a land-based treadwheel crane, also called "house cranes" at the time, as opposed to floating cranes or crane ships.
7. Saarländisches Staatstheater
Theater Saarbrücken, officially Saarländisches Staatstheater since 1971, is the state theatre of Saarland in its capital Saarbrücken, Germany. It has several divisions and offers annually around 30 new productions in around 700 events for more than 200,000 people. Its venues are Großes Haus, Alte Feuerwache, Congresshalle and sparte4. While theatre in Saarbrücken has a long history, the present main venue was completed in 1938, with plans commissioned by the Nazi regime.
8. Villa Obenauer
The Villa Obenauer is an upper-class villa built between 1905 and 1907 according to a design by Peter Behrens in Saarbrücken, Trillerweg 58. It is located in the Triller residential area of Saarbrücken on the south-eastern slope above the road, the hillside location characterises the architecture. As an important testimony to the history of the development of modern architecture in the 20th century, the building is a listed building.
9. ehem. Winterbergdenkmal
The Winterberg Monument was a war memorial on the Winterberg in Saarbrücken, Germany. Built on an artificial hill, the 30-metre-high tower monument with a circumferential foyer commemorated Prussia's victory at the Battle of Spichern on 6 August 1870. Today, only the reconstructed pedestal with stairs remains, which is a listed building. The name Winterberg itself is a corruption of Wingert-Berg, as wine had been grown here.
10. St. Antonius
The Catholic Church of St. Anthony of Padua is a church building of the three parishes united since 1 January 2006 in the upper and lower Malstatt in the pastoral care unit of St. Josef (Saarbrücken) in the deanery of Saarbrücken of the Diocese of Trier and stands in the Saarbrücken district of Malstatt on the Rastpfuhl. It bears the patronage of St. Anthony of Padua.
11. Platz des Unsichtbaren Mahnmals
The Platz des Unsichtbaren Mahnmals – or in English, the Place of the Invisible Memorial – is a memorial to Jewish cemeteries. It is located in Saarbrücken, capital of the German state of the Saarland. To the visitor, the memorial is completely invisible – it only appears as a sign at the place, reading "Platz des Unsichtbaren Mahnmals".
The Stumm-Kirche is a former Protestant church in the Brebach-Fechingen district of Saarbrücken, Germany. It is named after the Stumm family of industrialists, who had the church built. The building is listed as an individual monument in the Stummstraße monument ensemble. The former sacred building is now used for agriculture.
13. St. Paulus
The Catholic Church of St. Paul is a church building of the parish community of Saarbrücken-Malstatt in the deanery of Saarbrücken of the Diocese of Trier and stands on the corner of Lebacher Straße and Rheinstraße in the Saarbrücken district of Malstatt on the Rastpfuhl. It bears the patronage of St. Paul of Tarsus.
14. St. Marien
The Catholic Church of St. Mary is a church building of the parish community of Saarbrücken Malstatt in the deanery of Saarbrücken of the Diocese of Trier and stands in Fischbachstraße in the Saarbrücken district of Malstatt on the Rußhütte. It bears the patronage of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
15. Evangelische Kirche Güdingen
The Evangelical Church of Güdingen is a sacred building of the parish of Obere Saar in the Saarbrücken district of Güdingen. The parish is assigned to the Saar-West church district of the Evangelical Church in the Rhineland. In the list of monuments of the Saarland, the church is listed as a single monument.
16. Evangelische Kirche Scheidt
The Evangelical Church of Scheidt is a church building in the Scheidt district of Saarbrücken, Germany. It is centrally located just south of the Kaiserstraße (B 40) on the flank of the Scheidter Berg. In the list of monuments of the Saarland, the church is listed as a single monument.
17. St. Elisabeth
The Church of St. Elisabeth is a Roman Catholic branch and youth church of the Diocese of Trier in Saarbrücken. It is located on Hellwigstraße in the district of St. Johann an der Saar. Patroziniumtag is the ecclesiastical commemoration day of Elisabeth of Thuringia on 19 November.
The 4560 is a so-called Graffiti Hall of Fame in Saarbrücken, Germany. On this graffiti wall, the city allows graffiti to be sprayed and in this way wants to promote the creativity of youth culture. The wall extends over 450 meters and has an area of 1800 square meters.
Ludwigskirche in Old Saarbrücken, Germany, is a Lutheran Baroque-style church. It is the symbol of the city and is considered to be one of the most important Protestant churches in Germany, along with the Dresden Frauenkirche and the St. Michael's Church, Hamburg.
20. Evangelisch-Lutherische Immanuelgemeinde Saarbrücken
The Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel Church in Saarbrücken is a Protestant church in Saarbrücken, Germany. It belongs to the church district of Southern Germany of the Independent Evangelical Lutheran Church (SELK). The parish includes Saarbrücken and Walpershofen.
The Oblate Monastery of Saarbrücken is a former Roman Catholic monastery of the Oblates of the Immaculate Virgin Mary. It is located in the residential district of Rotenbühl, which is why it was occasionally referred to as the Rotenbühl Monastery.
22. Saarländisches Künstlerhaus
23. Evangelische Kirche Malstatt
24. Saarbrücker Schloss
25. Alte Feuerwache
26. Schloss Halberg
At 280 m above sea level, the Halberg is a solitary, wooded mountain in Saarbrücken. The Halberg rises in the Saaraue, which it towers over by about 80 m. On the slope is the middle sandstone, on the top of the upper red sandstone.
The Schwarzenberg Tower is an observation tower on the Schwarzenberg in Saarbrücken, Germany. The tower with a square cross-section was built in 1930 from reinforced concrete and has been a listed building since August 1, 1996.
28. Stiftskirche St. Arnual
29. Alter Jüdischer Friedhof
The old Jewish cemetery in Saarbr ü cken, the capital of Saarland, was built in 1841. The Jewish cemetery, located at the corner of Graf-Simon-Straße/Komturstraße, is a protected cultural monument.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.