Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Rostock:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Here you can find interesting sights in Rostock, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 20 sights are available in Rostock, Germany.List of cities in Germany Sightseeing Tours in Rostock
1. Kröpeliner TorBook Ticket*
The Kröpeliner Tor was the westernmost of the four large gates of Rostock's city fortifications built around 1270 in Gothic style. Even then, it was very large with its two floors and remained one of the most powerful of the at times up to 22 city gates. Whether it was named after the small town of Kröpelin, in whose direction it leads, or after a patrician family of the same name, is still controversial today. It represents the western end of Kröpeliner Straße.
2. Dokumentations- und Gedenkstätte für Opfer deutscher Dikaturen BStU Rostock
The Documentation and Memorial Site (DuG) in the former remand prison of the district administration of the Stasi in Rostock focuses on the work of the Ministry for State Security (MfS) of the GDR and commemorates its victims. It is one of the best preserved remand prisons of the MfS. The DuG is embedded in the documentation center of the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for the victims of dictatorships in Germany and was operated until August 2017 by the Rostock branch of the Federal Commissioner for the Stasi Records (BStU) in cooperation with the University of Rostock. Between 2017 and 2021, the DuG was closed for renovation. In 2021, the Landeszentrale für politische Bildung Mecklenburg-Vorpommern took over the sponsorship.
The Nikolaikirche of the Hanseatic city of Rostock was built from 1230 and is thus considered one of the oldest still preserved hall churches in the Baltic Sea region. It is one of the three surviving large parish churches of the city and named after the bishop Nicholas of Myra. Like St. Mary's Church and St. Peter's Church, it belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran inner city community of Rostock in the Propstei Rostock in the church district of Mecklenburg of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Northern Germany. Only occasional services are held in it. It sees itself as a supra-congregational, spiritual and cultural center of the city, open for church and other cultural use and is mostly used as a concert church.
4. Wasserturm Rostock
The municipal water tower of Rostock is a listed technical structure with an elevated tank, which served both to supply drinking water to the inhabitants and to generate a constant water pressure in the city's water supply network. It is located on Blücherstraße, not far from Rostock Central Station. The water tower, built in 1903, is one of Rostock's most important historical buildings, but was no longer needed in 1959 and was shut down. After the fall of the Berlin Wall, in the 1990s, the building was renovated and the interior rebuilt.
5. Walther von der Vogelweide
Walther von der Vogelweide was a Minnesänger who composed and performed love-songs and political songs ("Sprüche") in Middle High German. Walther has been described as the greatest German lyrical poet before Goethe; his hundred or so love-songs are widely regarded as the pinnacle of Minnesang, the medieval German love lyric, and his innovations breathed new life into the tradition of courtly love. He was also the first political poet to write in German, with a considerable body of encomium, satire, invective, and moralising.
St. Mary's Church, Rostock, in German Marienkirche, is the biggest of three town churches found in the Hanseatic city of Rostock, in northern Germany. The other two are St. Peter's (Petrikirche) and St. Nicholas (Nikolaikirche). A fourth, St. James' (Jakobikirche), was heavily damaged during the Second World War and subsequently demolished. St. Mary's was designated in 1265 as the main parish church. Since the Protestant Reformation in 1531, it houses a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran State Church of Mecklenburg.
Since the mid-13th century, the fortifications of Rostock town have been around Rostock town. In 1265, after the original cores of three parts of Rostock were formally merged into one city, a common, about 3 km long city wall was built with more than 20 gates. They are divided into "land" and "beach gates" according to whether they lead to the hinterland of Mecklenburg or to the city port of Unterwarnow.
The Holy Spirit Church is a neo-Gothic church building in Rostock, Germany. It was built between 1905 and 1908 on the corner of Margaretenstraße / Borwinstraße in the Kröpeliner-Tor-Vorstadt and is used by the Evangelical Lutheran Holy Spirit community, which belongs to the Propstei Rostock in the church district of Mecklenburg of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Northern Germany.
9. Kloster zum Heiligen Kreuz
The Abbey of the Holy Cross in Rostock, Germany, was founded in the 13th century by Cistercian nuns. It is the only fully preserved abbey in the city. The complex includes the former abbey church which is used today as the University Church (Universitätskirche). The remaining former convent buildings house the Museum of Cultural History for the city of Rostock.
St. Peter's Church, in German Petrikirche, was built in the 13th century and is the oldest of three town churches found in the Hanseatic city of Rostock, in northern Germany. The other two are St. Mary's Church (Marienkirche) and St. Nicholas (Nikolaikirche). A fourth, St. Jakobi, was heavily damaged during the Second World War and subsequently demolished.
The Steintor in its present form is a gate built between 1574 and 1577 in Renaissance style in the south of Rostock's historic city fortifications. It replaced the older gate, which had been razed in 1566. In addition to the Kröpeliner Tor, the Petritor and the Mühlentor the Steintor, the Steintor was one of the four main gates of the city of Rostock.
The Blücher monument in Rostock commemorates Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher, the Rostock-born general of the anti-Napoleonic wars of liberation. The bronze figure stands on a pedestal, the four sides of which are decorated with bronze reliefs. The monument in honour of Rostock's first honorary citizen was unveiled on 26 August 1819 at the Hopfenmarkt.
Wokrenterstraße is a historic street in Rostock, now known as the Northern Old Town. It connects the streets An der Oberkante in the south and Am Strande in the north and marks the interface between the buildings in industrial construction and the renovated building fabric using historic gable elements. This makes Wokrenterstraße in Rostock unique.
14. Botanischer Garten der Universität Rostock
The Botanischer Garten Universität Rostock, also known as the Botanischer Garten Rostock, is a botanical garden and arboretum maintained by the University of Rostock. It is adjacent to the university sports fields along Hans-Sachs Allee, Rostock, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany, and open daily except Monday in the warmer months.
The Max-Samuel-Haus is a villa in Rostock, which has housed the Foundation Meeting Center for Jewish History and Culture in Rostock since 1991. Cultural events such as readings, exhibitions and concerts take place in the house, and an extensive library offers interested parties non-fiction on Jewish history and culture.
16. Zoologischer Garten Rostock
Rostock Zoo is a zoo in the city of Rostock, founded in 1899. It covers 56 hectares and with 4,500 animals from 320 species, Rostock Zoo is the largest zoo on the German east coast. Rostock Zoo is studbook keeper of Polar bears within the European Endangered Species Programme. The director of Rostock Zoo is Udo Nagel.
17. Alte Christuskirche
The Christuskirche was a Catholic church on Schröderplatz in Rostock, Germany. It was consecrated in 1909 and demolished in 1971 for ostensibly urban planning reasons. The new Christuskirche, which was built as a replacement elsewhere in a residential area, bears the same name.
18. Eisbrecher Stephan Jantzen
The Stephan Jantzen is a decommissioned icebreaker. The ship was built in 1967 as the last ship of the Nikitich class, a series of 21 units, at the Leningrad Admiral Shipyard and named after the former Warnemünde pilot commander Stephan Jantzen (1827–1913).
19. Gedenkstätte revolutionärer Matrosen
The memorial of revolutionary sailors at Rostock's city harbour commemorates the revolutionary sailors at the end of the First World War. It was created by the artists Wolfgang Eckardt and Reinhard Dietrich and officially inaugurated on September 16, 1977.
The Kuhtor is not only the oldest of the four of the former 22 gates of Rostock's historic city fortifications, but also one of the oldest buildings in Rostock and probably the oldest preserved city gate in northern Germany.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.