Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Potsdam:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Guided Free Walking Tours
Here you can book guided Free Walking Tours in Potsdam:Guided Free Walking Tours on GuruWalk*
Here you can find interesting sights in Potsdam, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 60 sights are available in Potsdam, Germany.List of cities in Germany Sightseeing Tours in Potsdam
1. New PalaceBook Ticket*
The New Palace is a palace situated on the western side of the Sanssouci park in Potsdam, Germany. The building was begun in 1763, after the end of the Seven Years' War, under King Friedrich II and was completed in 1769. It is considered to be the last great Prussian Baroque palace.
2. Sanssouci ParkBook Ticket*
Sanssouci Palace (German: Schloss Sanssouci) is a palace in Potsdam, Germany. It served from 1747 to 1918 as the summer residence of the Prussian kings and German emperors. Because of its art-historical significance, Sanssouci is also called the Prussian Versailles.
3. Einstein Tower
The Einstein Tower is an astrophysical observatory in the Albert Einstein Science Park in Potsdam, Germany built by architect Erich Mendelsohn. It was built on the summit of the Potsdam Telegraphenberg to house a solar telescope designed by the astronomer Erwin Finlay-Freundlich. The telescope supports experiments and observations to validate Albert Einstein's relativity theory. The building was first conceived around 1917, built from 1919 to 1921 after a fund-raising drive, and became operational in 1924. Although Einstein never worked there, he supported the construction and operation of the telescope. It is still a working solar observatory today as part of the Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam. Light from the telescope is directed down through the shaft to the basement where the instruments and laboratory are located. There were more than half a dozen telescopes in the laboratory.
4. Filmmuseum Potsdam
Potsdam Film Museum was established in 1981 as "Film Museum of Democratic Germany", so it is considered as the oldest film museum in Germany, with its own collection and exhibition, and obtained its current name in 1990. It has been administered by the canton of Brandenburg since 1991 and is organized under the Babelsburg Film University. The center of the collection and permanent exhibition is the world's oldest Babelsburg Film Studio, its film production and the artists who work there for the films of Biocop, Ufa, DEFA and Babelsburg Studios. The exhibition programme is complemented by temporary exhibitions, family exhibitions and foyer exhibitions on German and international film and media themes. The Movie Museum runs a museum store and a cinema, with several performances a day, and silent film screenings accompanied by music on the organ of the historic Welte cinema.
The Crystall and Shell Grotto in the New Garden is located in the north of the Potsdam park on the shore of the Jungfernsee, southeast within sight of the dairy and north of Cecilienhof Palace. Friedrich Wilhelm II commissioned Andreas Ludwig Krüger to plan a grotto under the direction of his son Friedrich Ludwig Carl Krüger between 1791 and 1794 on a specially created hill. The grotto in the palace garden of Oranienburg, which was built around 1754/56, served as a model. In contrast to the building there, which was recognizable as garden architecture, the grotto in the New Garden was intended to appear to be created by nature. In order to achieve this naturalness, Krüger had the brick building clad with turf iron stone from Golzow, tufa from Rothenburg ob der Tauber, gypsum stone from the Harz as well as slag and fused, sintered bricks, so-called "Schmolz".
6. Neuer Lustgarten
The Lustgarten is the oldest garden in Potsdam. It is bordered by Breite Straße with the Marstall in the north, the Havel in the east, the railway embankment in the south and the Ministry of the Interior in the west. Created as a Baroque garden for the city palace under the Great Elector Friedrich Wilhelm and half transformed into a flat parade area under King Friedrich Wilhelm I, the rest was embellished by Frederick II and redesigned in 1829 by Peter Joseph Lenné. After the Second World War, the construction of the Ernst Thälmann Stadium in the Lustgarten marked the beginning of the removal of the City Palace. During the construction of the Interhotel Potsdam in 1969, the pleasure garden disappeared beyond recognition. On the occasion of the Federal Garden Show 2001, a new pleasure garden was created after the demolition of the Thälmann Stadium.
Park Glienicke, is an English landscape garden in the southwestern outskirts of Berlin, Germany. It is located in the locality of Wannsee in the Steglitz-Zehlendorf borough. Close to Glienicke Bridge the park is open to the general public. The park is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin. Within the ensemble it is one of the five main parks, the others being Sanssouci Park, New Garden, Babelsberg Park and Peacock Island (Pfaueninsel). Regarding diversity in gardening styles within the Potsdam park ensemble Park Glienicke is only superseded by Sanssouci Park. Furthermore, it is a park especially characterized by one personality due to the intense involvement of Prince Charles of Prussia. The park covers approximately 116 hectares
8. Museum Barberini
The Museum Barberini is an art museum in Potsdam opened in 2017. Its exhibitions range from the so-called Old Masters to contemporary art, with an emphasis on impressionist painting. Centered around works from the collection of its founder and patron Hasso Plattner, the Barberini presents three temporary exhibitions per year, featuring loans from international museums and private collections. Academic conferences serve to prepare these exhibitions. At the same time, shorter gallery displays – the so-called “art histories” – put works from the collection into constantly shifting contexts. The museum aims to offer a diverse programme of events and educational activities as well as digital offers like the Barberini App and the 4K Smart Wall in the museum.
The Michelson interferometer is a common configuration for optical interferometry and was invented by the 19/20th-century American physicist Albert Abraham Michelson. Using a beam splitter, a light source is split into two arms. Each of those light beams is reflected back toward the beamsplitter which then combines their amplitudes using the superposition principle. The resulting interference pattern that is not directed back toward the source is typically directed to some type of photoelectric detector or camera. For different applications of the interferometer, the two light paths can be with different lengths or incorporate optical elements or even materials under test.
The Teufelsgrabenbrücke (colloquially) known as the Devil's Bridge (German: Teufelsgrabenbrücke) is a five-arched stone viaduct in Potsdam-Bornstedt, Germany, designed in 1843 by architect Ludwig Persius and built as a pedestrian bridge. It leads over a drainage ditch of the Bornstedter See, which was created at the time of Frederick II, leading into the Golmer Loch. The construction of the bridge was part of the landscape park created by Peter Joseph Lenné on behalf of Frederick William IV, which connected the Bornstedt crown estate with Lindstedt Castle. The Teufelsgraben is without water today. This flows in 1891 underground clay pipes.
11. Park Babelsberg
Babelsberg Park is a 114 hectare park in the northeast of the city of Potsdam, bordering on the Tiefen See lake on the River Havel. The park was first designed by the landscape artist Peter Joseph Lenné and, after him, by Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau and Karl Friedrich Schinkel, by order of the then-prince William I and his wife, Augusta. Located on a hill sloping down to the lake, the park and castle are part of the Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin, which were inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List because of their unique architecture and testimony to the development of landscape design.
12. former Reich War Academy/ Brandenburg State Assembly
The historic Royal Prussian War School or the Schwechten-Bau is a building complex that was built from 1899 to 1902 on the instructions of Kaiser Wilhelm II on the Potsdam Brauhausberg. The building ensemble was used permanently after the dissolution of the war school in 1914; from 1946 to 1952 and from 1990 to 2013 it housed the Brandenburg Landtag until it was replaced by the Potsdam City Palace. From December 2015 to September 2018, it was a refugee shelter. From the second half of 2019, 200 apartments will be built in the building. In the GDR era, the nickname "Kremlin" prevailed for the complex.
Nuthepark is a natural landscape park in Potsdam, Germany. The park stretches along the east bank of the Havel south and north of the mouth of the Nuthe, starting in the south at Potsdam Hauptbahnhof to Babelsberg Park. It was recreated between 1998 and 2001 in the course of preparations for the Federal Horticultural Show 2001 on a fallow site. To connect the two parts, the Nuthe is spanned by a pedestrian and cyclist bridge shortly before its mouth. The green spaces newly created in 2020 by the Investitionsbank des Landes Brandenburg are to merge with the areas of the Nuthepark in the future.
The Berlin Observatory is a German astronomical institution with a series of observatories and related organizations in and around the city of Berlin in Germany, starting from the 18th century. It has its origins in 1700 when Gottfried Leibniz initiated the "Brandenburg Society of Science″ which would later (1744) become the Prussian Academy of Sciences. The Society had no observatory but nevertheless an astronomer, Gottfried Kirch, who observed from a private observatory in Berlin. A first small observatory was furnished in 1711, financing itself by calendrical computations.
15. Volkspark Potsdam
The Volkspark Potsdam is located in the Bornstedter Feld in the north of the city of Potsdam. The area extends over three kilometres to the Jungfernsee in the north and to the "Lennésche Feldflur" in the west. In the south it borders on the ruins of Sanssouci Park and the Nauener Vorstadt and in the east on the Pfingstberg. With an area of 65 ha, the park includes the sub-areas In den Wällen, Kleiner and Großer Wiesenpark, Remisenpark and Waldpark (Schragen). The area managed by the development agency Bornstedter Feld is subject to admission.
16. Marmor Palace
The Marmorpalais is a former royal residence in Potsdam, near Berlin in Germany, built on the grounds of the extensive Neuer Garten on the shores of the Heiliger See (lake). The palace was commissioned by King Friedrich Wilhelm II and designed in the early Neoclassical style by the architects Carl von Gontard and Carl Gotthard Langhans. The palace remained in use by the Hohenzollern family until the early 20th century. It served as a military museum under communist rule, but has since been restored and is once again open to the public.
The Antique Temple is a small round temple in the west part of Sanssouci Park in Potsdam. Frederick the Great had the building constructed to house his collection of classical works of art, antique artifacts, coins and antique gems. Carl von Gontard created the building in 1768/69 near the New Palace north of the Central Alley, as a complement to the Temple of Friendship situated south of the Alley. Since 1921 the Antique Temple has been used as a mausoleum for members of the House of Hohenzollern and is not open to the public.
18. Brockessches Haus
Brockessche Haus, also known in recent publications as Brockessche or Brock'sches Palais, is a residential and manufacturing building in central Potsdam. The building was built in 1776 on the highway over the canal, based on the design of Carl von Gontard and with the support of Frederick II. Built for the glass cutter Johann Christoph Brockes. After many changes of ownership and a long period of vacancy, the palace was completely restored and used as a residential building before the end of 2016.
Pfaueninsel is an island in the River Havel situated in Berlin-Wannsee, in the district of Steglitz-Zehlendorf in southwestern Berlin, near the border with Potsdam in Brandenburg. The island is part of the Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin UNESCO World Heritage Site because of its outstanding Prussian architecture, and is a popular destination for day-trippers. Pfaueninsel is also a nature reserve in accordance with the EU Habitats Directive and a Special Protection Area for wild birds.
The plant of the German Jute Spinning and Weaving Mill in Potsdam is a clinker building located in Nutheufer, Nowawes District, Potsdam. It was built in 1863 and later expanded several times. Beginning in 2014, after years of decay, it was refurbished, with the former workshop and machine room converted into the Jute-Lofts housing complex until 2017. This building is listed as a historical monument and is one of the oldest existing jute spinning industrial buildings on the European continent.
The fort in the park of Sanssouci was a fortress model for the representation of new gun technology with armor in fortifications at the end of the 19th century. The Krupp company had the model fort built in 1893 in the northwestern part of Potsdam's Sanssouci Park in order to convince Kaiser Wilhelm II of the basic principles of the new technology. In November 2004, the ruin was filled in by the Prussian Palaces and Gardens Foundation Berlin-Brandenburg and can no longer be visited.
The Brauhausberg is an 88 m above sea level elevation in the Teltow suburb of Potsdam. It is located in front of the Ravensberg Mountains and forms the northern end of the Saarmund terminal moraine arch. Its name is based on a brewery opened on it in the early 18th century. Its southern neighbour is the Telegrafenberg, which was called Hinterer Brauhausberg until 1832. The Brauhausberg is considered an ancient natural landmark in the glacial valley, long before the Havel existed.
23. Hiller-Brandtsche Häuser
The Hiller-Brandtsche Houses are the buildings completed in 1769 at Breite Straße 8 to 12 in Potsdam. King Frederick II had the two town houses rebuilt with a uniform façade according to plans by Georg Christian Unger and extended by a barracks. The building is named after its users, the merchant Johann Friedrich Hiller and the master tailor Johann Gebhardt Brandt. Since its renovation, the listed building has housed rental and condominium apartments since 2013.
24. Potsdam Museum
The Potsdam Museum – Forum for Art and History, founded at the beginning of the 20th century, owns one of the largest art, cultural and regional history collections in the state of Brandenburg with over 250,000 objects. The collection reflects the civic commitment and passion for collecting of the founding years. The diverse collections include cultural-historical and military-historical areas as well as works of artistic creation.
The Winzerberg is located in Potsdam and is located east of the Sanssouci park. The entrance from the southern foot of the hill is formed by the imposing triumphal gate. The Winzerberg belongs to the administrative stock of the Prussian Palaces and Gardens Berlin-Brandenburg Foundation, is entertained by a support association that has previously completely restored it and has been part of the Potsdam World Heritage Site since 1990.
Dragon House is a historical building in Potsdam, Germany, built by King Frederick the Great of Prussia on the southern slope of the Klausberg, which borders the northern edge of Sanssouci Park. It was constructed between 1770 and 1772 in the prevailing Chinoiserie taste of the time, designed to imitate a Chinese pagoda. Carl von Gontard was commissioned to build it. The house served as the residence of the vineyard's vintner.
The former steam engine house for Sanssouci - also called "pump house" or "mosque" - is in Potsdam on the Neustädter Havelbucht. At the request of King Friedrich Wilhelm IV. From 1841 to 1843 under the direction of Ludwig Persius for the operation of the great fountains in front of Sanssouci Castle. It is one of the historical landmarks of engineering in Germany and is an outstanding example of oriental architecture.
28. Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam
Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam (AIP) is a German research institute. It is the successor of the Berlin Observatory founded in 1700 and of the Astrophysical Observatory Potsdam (AOP) founded in 1874. The latter was the world's first observatory to emphasize explicitly the research area of astrophysics. The AIP was founded in 1992, in a re-structuring following the German reunification.
29. Schloss Glienicke
Glienicke Palace is a historic palace located on the peninsula of Berlin-Wannsee in Germany. It was designed by Karl Friedrich Schinkel around 1825 for Prince Carl of Prussia. Since 1990, Glienicke Palace and the park have been part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site "Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin" because of their unique contribution to Prussian landscape architecture.
30. Platz der Einheit
The Platz der Einheit is next to the Bassinplatz and the plantation one of the oldest squares in Potsdam. Laid out under the soldier king Friedrich Wilhelm I, the square is bordered by the Wilhelmgalerie in the north, residential buildings in the east, the street Am Kanal in the south and Friedrich-Ebert-Straße in the west. It is an important hub of public transport.
The Marstall is a listed building on Breite Straße in Potsdam, Germany. Built in 1685 by Johann Arnold Nering in the Baroque style as an orangery, it has been rebuilt and expanded several times throughout history. The former riding horse stable of the City Palace is the oldest preserved building in the city and has been home to the Filmmuseum Potsdam since 1981.
32. Blockhaus Nikolskoe
The Blockhaus Nikolskoe is a monument in the Berlin district of Wannsee and is used as a restaurant. It was built in 1819 by King Friedrich Wilhelm III on the occasion of the visit of his daughter Charlotte and her husband Nikolaus in the style of a Russian farmhouse. Damaged in a fire in 1984, it was subsequently rebuilt true to the original.
33. Das Minsk Kunsthaus
Kunsthaus Das Minsk is a museum of contemporary art in Potsdam, which opened in September 2022. The building of the former Minsk restaurant on Potsdam's Brauhausberg had been renovated by the industrialist and patron of the arts Hasso Plattner and his charitable foundation. Before the opening, the name Minsk Kunsthaus was also used.
The obelisk on the Alter Markt was built between 1753 and 1755 according to a design by Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff. It reaches a height of almost 25 meters. Its location marks the common intersection of all mirror axes of the Baroque predecessor building of the Nikolaikirche, the Old Town Hall and the Barberini Palace.
Fortuna Portal is located in Alte Markt, Potsdam, opposite St. Nicholas Church, designed by Dutch architect Jean de Bodt in 1701 as the entrance to Potsdam City Palace. Unveiled King Frederick I in Prussia. From then on, the construction of Fortunaportal was considered the beginning of Potsdam's classical architecture.
The Evangelical Pentecostal Church in the Potsdam district of Nauener Vorstadt is located in the Große Weinmeisterstraße. It developed from a Pentecost chapel consecrated in 1894. In addition to the church, the New Pentecostal House, the parish rectory and the widow's house are housed on the Pentecost grounds.
37. Schloss Charlottenhof
Charlottenhof Palace or Charlottenhof Manor is a former royal palace located southwest of Sanssouci Palace in Sanssouci Park at Potsdam, Germany. It is best known as the summer residence of Crown Prince Frederick William. Today it is maintained by the Prussian Palaces and Gardens Foundation Berlin-Brandenburg.
38. Residenz des Botschafters von Ecuador
The Landhaus Prölls is located in the Potsdam district of Berliner Vorstadt at Seestraße 41/42, was built in 1926 and is located on the eastern shore of the Holy Lake. The building is listed as a monument with remains of the enclosure and has served as the residence of the ambassador of Ecuador since 2001.
The Knobelsdorffhaus is a town house at Alter Markt 9, formerly Brauerstraße 10, in the immediate vicinity of the Old Town Hall on the east side of the Alter Markt in Potsdam. Together with the Old Town Hall and the glass passage, it forms the Potsdam Museum instead of the destroyed Windelbandsches Haus.
40. St. Peter und Paul
Ss. Peter and Paul Church on Nikolskoë is a Protestant church in the Volkspark Glienecke in Berlin, Germany. It is currently administered by the Evangelical Church of Berlin-Brandenburg-Silesian Upper Lusatia. The church is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin.
41. Villa Quandt
Villa Quandt is a villa on the Pfingstberg in Potsdam, Germany. It is named after Ulrike Augusta von Quandt, the widow of the War Council, houses the Theodor Fontane Archive and the Brandenburg Literature Office, and is part of the administrative holdings of the Prussian Palaces and Gardens Foundation.
42. Bornstedter Friedhof
The Bornstedt cemetery is located directly opposite the Krongut Bornstedt in the immediate vicinity of the Potsdam Orangery. Not only inhabitants of Bornstedt are buried on it, but also numerous personalities. Theodor Fontane already reported: What dies in Sanssouci will also be buried in Bornstedt.
The Wildpark Potsdam is a forest area adjacent to the western outskirts of Potsdam, which extends through the Pirschheide to the Templiner See. The approximately 875-hectare forest is one of the oldest and most outstanding examples of the combination of courtly tradition and landscape gardening.
The Potsdam City Palace is a building in Potsdam, Germany, located on the Old Market Square, next to the St. Nicholas' Church (Nikolaikirche). It was the second official residence of the margraves and electors of Brandenburg, later kings in Prussia, kings of Prussia and German emperors.
45. Krongut Bornstedt
The Bornstedt Crown Estate is a former royal estate and, today, a tourist attraction in the Potsdam borough of Bornstedt. It belongs to the ensemble of palaces and gardens of Sanssouci Park, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site along with other parks and palaces in the area.
The Kaiserin-Augusta-Stift at Potsdam's New Garden is a castle-like building complex, which was built from 1900 to 1902 under the direction of the architect Lothar Krüger in neo-Romanesque style, originally as a home for war orphaned girls by the Empress Augusta Foundation.
47. Erlöserkirche Potsdam
The Evangelical Church of the Redeemer is located in the Potsdam district of Brandenburger Vorstadt at the intersection of Nansenstraße and Meistersingerstraße. The slender tower with its 74 meters height is a landmark of the Brandenburg suburb and visible from afar.
48. Meierei und Pumpwerk
The Dairy in the New Garden was built to plans by the master builder, Carl Gotthard Langhans, on the shore of the Jungfernsee lake at the northernmost tip of the New Garden in Potsdam, Germany. Construction was carried out from 1790 to 1792 by Andreas Ludwig Krüger.
49. Biosphäre Potsdam
The Biosphäre Potsdam is an indoor tropical botanical garden located in the Volkspark Potsdam, a park between the Sanssouci Park and the Neuer Garten Potsdam at Georg-Hermann-Allee 99, Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany. It is open daily; an admission fee is charged.
The Bittschriftenlinde stood in Potsdam in Humboldtstraße, at the southern corner of the City Palace. It was the most famous tree in the city. In the place of the original tree stands today a second lime tree, which is also called Bittschriftenlinde.
51. Der Jahrhundertschritt
The Step of the Century is a bronze sculpture created by Wolfgang Mattheuer in 1984. It is considered one of the most important works of art of the GDR at the time of the division of Germany and is a parable of the inner turmoil of the 20th century.
Potsdam Park Sanssouci is a German railway station located in Potsdam, the capital city of Brandenburg, on the Berlin–Magdeburg railway. Named Potsdam Wildpark until 1999, it serves the Sanssouci Park and is famous for the Kaiserbahnhof building.
The Werner-Alfred-Bad is a former swimming pool in Potsdam in Jägervorstadt. It was named after the German flight pioneer Werner Alfred Pietschker. The facility at Hegelallee 23 has been a health center since a total renovation in 2009.
The Friedrichskirche is located on the Weberplatz of Babelsberg, a district of the capital Potsdam of Brandenburg. The parish belongs to the church district Potsdam of the Evangelical Church Berlin-Brandenburg-Silesian Upper Lusatia.
55. Neuer Garten
Neue Garten is a 102.5-hectare park located north of Potsdam, adjacent to Holy Lake and Jungfernsee Lake. Friedrich William II. Beginning in 1787, a new garden was built in this area to distinguish it from the Baroque Sansusi Park.
56. Sankt Antonius Kirche
The Roman Catholic Church of St. Antonius in the Babelsberg district of Potsdam is located between Plantagenstraße and Turnstraße. The church building, consecrated in 1934, is the parish church of the Babelsberg parish.
57. Alte Wache
The Alte Wache is an early classicist building in Potsdam on the corner of Lindenstraße and Charlottenstraße. It was commissioned by King Frederick William II in 1795–97 according to plans by Andreas Ludwig Krüger.
The Obelisk entrance constitutes the eastern limit of Sanssouci Park in Potsdam, Germany. Following plans by Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff, Frederick the Great ordered in 1747 that this exit from the park be built.
59. Jüdischer Friedhof
The Jewish cemetery on the Pfingstberg in Potsdam, the capital of the state of Brandenburg (Germany), was established in 1743. It is located at Puschkinallee 18, near the Belvedere and is a protected monument.
60. Potsdamer Glockenspiel
The Potsdam carillon on the plantation in Potsdam, is the replica of the historic carillon of the Garrison Church about 200 meters north of the original location. It has been a listed building since July 2021.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.