17 Sights in Paderborn, Germany (with Map and Images)
Explore interesting sights in Paderborn, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 17 sights are available in Paderborn, Germany.List of cities in GermanySightseeing Tours in Paderborn
1. Museum in der Kaiserpfalz
The LWL-Museum in the Kaiserpfalz is located in the East Westphalian city of Paderborn in North Rhine-Westphalia in the immediate vicinity of the cathedral. It presents finds from Carolingian, Ottonian and Saxon times. It is located on the spot where the foundation walls of the Palatinate Paderborn from the 8th century and a later complex from the time of Henry II were found during construction work in 1964. They are part of today's building fabric and can still be understood very well in the masonry of the museum. In 1964, Charlemagne's imperial palace was also found right next to today's museum. The outline of this complex can only be recognized today by the reconstructed foundation walls. The Landesmuseum is supported by the Landschaftsverband Westfalen-Lippe. The building belongs to the Metropolitan Chapter and is rented rent-free to the sponsor of the museum.
The historic town hall of Paderborn is next to the High Cathedral one of the landmarks of the city of Paderborn. It was built between 1613 and 1620 by Hermann Baumhauer as an outstanding example of the Weser Renaissance at the appeal of Prince-Bishop Dietrich von Fürstenberg on behalf of the city council, incorporating a predecessor building from 1473. The building shows the principles of the Renaissance in Germany particularly succinctly: clear disposition of the components, emphasis on the surface, linear, sharply incised windows, which act as individual elements and are not included in a large overall movement as later in the Baroque. In the design of the ground floor arcades, even the Italian models from Florence are clearly visible.
3. Station 34 Schwaney, Brocksberg
The Prussian Semaphore System was a telegraphic communications system used between Berlin and the Rhine Province from 1832 to 1849. It could transmit administrative and military messages by optical signal over a distance of nearly 550 kilometres (340 mi). The telegraph line comprised 62 stations each furnished with a signal mast with six cable-operated arms. The stations were equipped with telescopes that operators used to copy coded messages and forward them to the next station. Three dispatch departments located in Berlin, Cologne and Koblenz handled the coding and decoding of official telegrams. Although electric telegraphy made the system obsolete for military use, simplified semaphores were still used for railway signals.
4. Gymnasium Theodorianum
The Gymnasium Theodorianum is a grammar school situated in the historic centre of Paderborn, Germany. Succeeding in the tradition of the cathedral school founded in 799, it is among the ten oldest schools in the world. It continues in the ideals of Renaissance humanism, with Latin taught as the primary foreign language and Ancient Greek offered as an additional subject. The school has produced several leading German political, scientific, religious and military figures. It is known locally simply as the “Theo”.
The former Jesuit and university church, Sankt Franz Xaver, also called "Marktkirche", is located in the city center of Paderborn, near the Rathausplatz and right next to the Gymnasium Theodorianum, which uses the church on Thursdays for Catholic school services. In addition, the Marktkirche is next to the Gaukirche zum heiligen Ulrich and the Busdorfkirche "Sankt Petrus und Andreas" parish church of the Paderborn inner city parish "Sankt Liborius", founded in 1998.
Wikipedia: Marktkirche (Paderborn) (DE), Website, Architect Wikipedia
The Franciscan Monastery Paderborn is a Franciscan monastery founded in 1658 in the Westernstraße in Paderborn in North Rhine-Westphalia. Until the merger of the German Franciscan Provinces into the German Franciscan Province of St. Elizabeth in 2010, it belonged to the Saxon Franciscan Province of the Holy Cross. Previously, from 1232 to the 16th century, there was already a monastery of the same order on the Kamp, which perished as a result of the Reformation.
7. Jüdischer Friedhof
The Jewish Cemetery Paderborn is located in the city of Paderborn in the district of Paderborn in North Rhine-Westphalia. As a Jewish cemetery, it is an architectural monument and has been registered in the list of monuments since 29 November 1983 under monument number 20. At the cemetery Warburger Straße 110, which was occupied from around 1887 to 1938 and has been occupied again since 1945 until today, more than 150 gravestones have been preserved.
The Abdinghofkloster Sankt Peter und Paul is a former Benedictine abbey in Paderborn, consisting of its foundation by Bishop Meinwerk von Paderborn, born in Renkum, the Netherlands, in 1015 until its secularization on 25 March 1803. However, new archaeological findings suggest that the Abdinghof monastery was not built until the late 11th century. If this is true, Bishop Meinwerk cannot have laid the foundation stone of the monastery.
9. St. Michael
The Michaelskloster is a monastery in Paderborn in North Rhine-Westphalia. The monastery church is under monument protection. In 2012, the Order of the Augustinian choir women handed the St. Michael high school and the St. Michael secondary school to the sponsorship of the Archdiocese of Paderborn. The preserved facade of the monastery church is considered an important testimony of the Flemish baroque.
The Busdorfkirche is a church in Paderborn, Germany, which was built on the model of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. Busdorf Abbey (German: Stift Busdorf) was a collegiate foundation founded in Paderborn in 1036. The monastery and church were originally located outside the city, but were included in the 11th/12th century in the course of the expansion of the city.
11. Gaukirche Sankt Ulrich
The Gaukirche, also Gokirche, Gokerken or lat. ecclesia rurens, Pfarrkirche St. Ulrich, is a Roman Catholic church in Paderborn, built around 1170/80 and owned by the state of North Rhine-Westphalia. The church is located on the market or cathedral square of the episcopal city opposite the High Cathedral of Paderborn.
12. Hoher Dom St. Maria, St. Liborius & St. Kilian
Paderborn Cathedral is the cathedral of the Catholic Archdiocese of Paderborn. It is located in the city centre of Paderborn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. The cathedral is dedicated to Saint Mary, Saint Kilian and Saint Liborius. The official German name is Hoher Dom Ss. Maria, Liborius und Kilian.
The Liborianum is an educational institution in Paderborn and has gone through an eventful history. It served different purposes over the centuries; for over 200 years it was a Capuchin monastery. It takes its name from Saint Liborius, the patron saint of the Archdiocese of Paderborn.
14. Adam- und Eva-Haus
The Adam and Eve House, Hathumarstraße 7, is one of the oldest and most richly decorated half-timbered houses in Paderborn. It is also considered the oldest preserved town house in Paderstadt and housed Paderborn's "Museum für Stadtgeschichte" from 1977 to March 2015.
The Herz-Jesu-Kirche in Paderborn is a neo-Gothic Roman Catholic church in the North Rhine-Westphalian city of Paderborn, which was built in 1897/1898. It is registered under No. 6 in the list of architectural monuments of Paderborn.
Wikipedia: Herz-Jesu-Kirche (Paderborn) (DE), Website, Architect Wikipedia
The Alexius Chapel in Paderborn is a Baroque brick building based on the Flemish model. It is located in Paderborn's city centre at the Abdinghof and thus in the immediate vicinity of both the Abdinghof Church and the cathedral.
17. Sankt Joseph
St. Joseph is a Catholic parish church in the Paderborn district of Schloss Neuhaus-Mastbruch. Church and community belong to the parish of St. Martin of Tours in the Deanery of Paderborn of the Archdiocese of Paderborn.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.