Book tickets, guided tours and activities in Munich.
Guided Free Walking Tours
Book free guided walking tours in Munich.
Explore interesting sights in Munich, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 100 sights are available in Munich, Germany.Sightseeing Tours in Munich
1. Old Town HallBook Ticket*
The Old Town Hall, until 1874 the domicile of the municipality, serves today as a building for representative purposes for the city council in Munich. The Old Town Hall bounds the central square Marienplatz on its east side.
2. St. LudwigBook Ticket*
The Catholic Parish and University Church St. Louis, called Ludwigskirche, in Munich is a monumental church in Neo-Romanesque style with the second-largest altar fresco of the world. The building, with its round arches called the Rundbogenstil, strongly influenced other church architecture, train stations and synagogues in both Germany and the United States.
3. Alte Utting
4. Chinesischer Turm
The Chinese Tower is a 25-metre wooden building resembling a pagoda at the Englischer Garten in Munich, Germany. The building was constructed from 1789 to 1790 and was opened to the public as an observation deck during the opening of the Englischer Garten in 1792. The tower burned down during the bombing of Munich during World War II and was reopened as a reconstruction in 1952. Today the tower is considered a landmark of the Englischer Garten.
The Bavaria is the female symbolic figure and secular patroness of Bavaria and appears as a personified allegory for the state of Bavaria in various forms and manifestations. She thus represents the secular counterpart to Mary as a religious patrona Bavariae.
The Fischbrunnen is a small fountain in the Pasing district of Munich, Germany. It was created in 1938 by the Pasing sculptor Hans Osel in connection with the relocation of the Pasing Viktualienmarkt to the courtyard of the newly built market hall.
The Frauenkirche is a church in Munich, Bavaria, Germany, that serves as the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising and seat of its Archbishop. It is a landmark and is considered a symbol of the Bavarian capital city. Although called "Münchner Dom" on its website and URL, the church is referred to as "Frauenkirche" by locals.
Utopia Halle, named after Reithalle München from 1994 to 2019, is a former indoor riding school in Munich's Schwabing-West district and has been used as a venue since the 1990s. It was chosen as the second in 1894. The Bavarian infantry regiment "Kronprinz" was built at the Oberwiesenfeld barracks and then used as a parade ground. About a century later, this neo-Romanesque building was added to the list It's recovered. Therefore, the internal work of the hall of about 1,200 square meters has been retained. Due to the open design, the interior of the hall is convertible without any supporting elements. Depending on the layout and interior design of the room, it can accommodate up to 1,500 people. The hall belongs to Bavaria and is leased to a private limited company to be used as an event hall. A few years ago, the Bavarian National Opera House also performed here. After renovation and transformation, the hall reopened on September 9th. Utopia Halle reopened in November 2019 and has since been used as a venue for concerts, parties, festivals, exhibitions, theatre, performances and reading.
9. Ehem. Zwangsarbeiterlager Neuaubing
The former Neuaubing forced labor camp was built by Deutsche Bahn in late 1942 in the Aubing district of Munich during World War II as a camp for Neuaubing forced labor at the Reichsbahn repair shop. The site at Ehrenb ü rgstra ï e 9 has been the property of the city of Munich since 2015. Some of the buildings were used by artists and craftsmen who formed the "Freie Ateliers & Werkst ä tten Ehrenb ü rgstra ï e" association. "Due to historical, urban planning and architectural reasons, the camp is the only preserved collective facility in Bavaria and is a unique witness to the national socialist forced labor system." The camp has been under collective protection since 2009, with barracks 1 to 8, two small shatterproof cells and the area's fence designated as separate monuments. The area is also registered as a ground monument. As a result, forced labor camps make up a large proportion of Obin's monuments.
The Olympic Tower in the Olympic Park, Munich has an overall height of 291 m (955 ft) and a weight of 52,500 tons. At a height of 190 m (620 ft) there is an observation platform as well as an exhibition commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the Tower. Previously in that space was a small rock and roll museum housing various memorabilia. Since its opening in 1968, the tower has registered over 43 million visitors. At a height of 182 m (597 ft) there is a revolving restaurant, which seats 230 people. A full revolution takes 53 minutes. The tower also serves as a broadcast tower, and has one Deutsche Telekom maintenance elevator with a speed of 4 m/s (13 ft/s), as well as two visitor lifts with a speed of 7 m/s (23 ft/s) which have a capacity of about 30 people per car. The travel time is about 30 seconds. The tower is open daily from 09:00 to 24:00.
11. Blaue Spirale
Neuperlach is a borough in the southeast of the Bavarian capital, Munich and is part of the city district no. 16, Ramersdorf-Perlach. It was built starting in 1967 east of the former village of Perlach on the ground of the former Perlacher Haid. Neuperlach is located east of the boroughs Ramersdorf and Perlach, south of the city districts no. 14 and no. 15 (Trudering-Riem), west of the borough Waldperlach and north of Unterbiberg. The borough encompasses multiplehousing estates, including several high-rise estates, and is one of Germany's biggest satellite towns. In the center of Neuperlach, the large pep shopping mall is located, one of the most profitable shopping centers in Germany. The Hachinger Bach runs through the western part of Neuperlach from north to south. The stream also passes through the western part of the Ostpark.
12. Ehem. Hochbunker
The Blumenstraße bunker, also known as the Blumenbunker, is an above-ground air-raid shelter from the Second World War at Blumenstraße 22 in Munich, Germany. It was built in 1941 according to plans by Karl Meitinger by the municipal building department in the center of the city. The construction took place within the framework of the Führer's immediate program, in which Munich was classified as an "air raid shelter of the first order". By the end of the war, 48 bunkers of similar capacity had been built in Munich. Up to 1,200 people were to find shelter from air raids in the bunker. The inauguration was attended by the then Reich Minister for Armaments and Ammunition, Fritz Todt.
The Isarphilharmonie is a concert hall in Munich that opened in October 2021. It offers space for about 1900 people and is located on the "Gasteig HP8" site, which was named after its address Hans-Preißinger-Straße 8 in Munich-Sendling through a naming competition. It was created as an alternative accommodation for all uses of the Philharmonie in the Gasteig Cultural Centre during its renovation until 2027. Not only do the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra reside here, but the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra and many other stars and orchestras also play here. The interim branch of the Munich City Library also opened in November 2021 in Hall E at Gasteig HP8.
14. Wallfahrtskirche St. Anna
The Roman Catholic pilgrimage church of St. Anna in Munich's Harlaching district is located on a Nagelfluh plateau close to the almost 30-metre-steep slope of the eastern bank of the Isar above Hellabrunn Zoo. Today's church originated from a church building that was probably first built in the middle of the 12th century in the core of the former village, which is the origin of today's Harlaching district. The first documented mention of the patronage of St. Anne, whose feast day is celebrated annually on July 26, dates back to 1524. Remains of the original structure of the church are preserved in the choir tower.
The bombing of Munich took place mainly in the later stages of World War II. Munich was, and is, a significant German city, as much culturally as industrially. Augsburg, thirty-seven miles to the west, was a main centre of diesel engine production, and was also heavily bombed during the war. Although some considerable distance from the United Kingdom, Munich is not a difficult city to find from the air, mainly due to its size, and possibly its proximity to the Austrian Alps to the south-east as a visual reference point. Munich was protected (initially) by its distance from the United Kingdom.
The Fischerbuberl Fountain is a fountain on Wiener Platz in Munich-Haidhausen, Germany. The fountain, created in 1910 by the sculptor Ignatius Taschner, depicts a naked boy in a hat, standing on a ball, carrying a fish looking upwards in his arms. A third fish is trapped between the boy's feet. The fountain was originally erected in downtown Munich on the Viktualienmarkt next to the Freibank. For the reconstruction of the Schrannenhalle, the fountain had to give way and found a new location in the western corner of Wiener Platz. Today's fountain figure is a cast of the original made in 1934.
Theresienwiese is an open space in the Munich borough of Ludwigsvorstadt-Isarvorstadt. It serves as the official ground of the Munich Oktoberfest. A space of 420,000 square metres (4,500,000 sq ft), it is bordered in the west by the Ruhmeshalle and the Bavaria statue, symbolizing the State of Bavaria, and in the east by Esperantoplatz, a square named for the international language Esperanto. There, a memorial commemorates the victims of the 1980 Oktoberfest bombing. Bavariaring, an orbital road, provides access to visiting traffic. In the north the towers of the Paulskirche are visible.
18. Seenotrettungskreuzer Theodor Heuss
The 23.2 metre class was a series of four sea rescue cruisers of the German Maritime Search and Rescue Society (DGzRS) and one ship of the Guardia Costiera. The ships of this class were built between 1957 and 1960 by the Schweers shipyard in Bardenfleth and by Abeking & Rasmussen in Lemwerder. All ships were decommissioned in the 1980s. The lead ship is the cruiser Theodor Heuss, which is why it is also referred to as the Theodor Heuss class. It was the world's first class of modern sea rescue cruisers with a new propulsion and daughter boat concept.
19. Jewish Museum Munich
The Jewish Museum Munich, provides an overview of Munich’s Jewish history and is part of the city's new Jewish Center located at Sankt-Jakobs-Platz in Munich, Germany. It is situated between the main synagogue Ohel Jakob and the Jewish Community Center which is home to the Jewish Community of Munich and Upper Bavaria and houses a public elementary school, a kindergarten, a youth center as well as a community auditorium and a kosher restaurant. The museum was built from 2004 until its inauguration on March 22, 2007 and is run by the city of Munich.
20. Doppelsäule 23/70
Double column 23/70 is a stainless steel sculpture by Erich Hauser from 1970. The seven-metre-high sculpture was erected in 1984 in Munich in the Maxvorstadt district on the green strip between the Alte Pinakothek and the Neue Pinakothek. It is part of the Pinakothek Sculpture Park, which has been set up in the Kunstareal München in recent decades. Until 2013, the column was part of the Theo Wormland Collection and was on permanent loan to the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen, which received it as a gift from the Foundation in 2013.
The Catholic parish church of Maria Hilf in der Au, called Mariahilfkirche, is the main parish church of the Au. It was begun between 1831 and 1839 by Joseph Daniel Ohlmüller and completed by Georg Friedrich Ziebland. The landmark of the Au is considered an archetype of neo-Gothic church building of the 19th century. It is one of the three "neo-Gothic siblings of Munich", the Holy Cross Church and St. John the Baptist, all three of which have a similar monumental brick architectural style and are located east of the Isar.
The Passionskirche is an Evangelical Lutheran church building in Munich-Obersendling, Germany. The parish area of the church extends from the banks of the Isar in Thalkirchen in the east to the Obersendlinger Südpark in the west and from Siemens-Allee in the south to the Mittlereren Ring in the north. It was consecrated in 1933 as a so-called emergency church, received its name in 1947, was replaced by a new building in 1970 and is now one of eleven churches in the southern deanery district of the Munich deanery.
23. Hl. Kreuz
Heilig Kreuz is a church building of the Roman Catholic Church in Forstenried, a district of Munich, Germany. The church is dedicated to the Holy Cross and serves as a parish church for the parish of Heilig Kreuz in the parish of Forstenried. It houses the Forstenried Cross, a Romanesque crucifix that was said to have miraculous effects and thus made Forstenried a place of pilgrimage. The building, together with the surrounding church cemetery, is registered as a monument in the Bavarian list of monuments.
24. Alte Pinakothek
The Alte Pinakothek is an art museum of the Bavarian State Painting Collections, opened in 1836 in the Kunstareal Munich. Among other things, it exhibits paintings by painters from the Middle Ages to the middle of the 18th century and is one of the most important galleries in the world. The building was erected in 1826–1836 by Leo von Klenze as the most modern museum building of the 19th century, damaged in the Second World War and restored in 1952–1957 by Hans Döllgast in a controversial form.
A Futuro house, or Futuro Pod, is a round, prefabricated house designed by Finnish architect Matti Suuronen, of which fewer than 100 were built during the late 1960s and early 1970s. The shape, reminiscent of a flying saucer, and the structure's airplane hatch entrance has made the houses sought after by collectors. The Futuro is composed of fiberglass-reinforced polyester plastic, polyester-polyurethane, and poly(methyl methacrylate), measuring 4 metres high and 8 metres in diameter.
26. Den Opfern der Nationalsozialistischen Gewaltherrschaft
The Memorial to the Victims of Nazi Tyranny is a memorial in the old town of Munich. It was created in 1985 by the sculptor Andreas Sobeck, who comes from a winegrower, and erected in memory of the victims of the National Socialist dictatorship on the Square of the Victims of National Socialism on the corner of Brienner Straße and Maximiliansplatz. The monument was handed over as part of a commemoration ceremony on 8 November 1985 by the then Lord Mayor of Munich, Georg Kronawitter.
27. St. Johannes
The Evangelical Lutheran Parish Church of St. John was consecrated in 1916 as the fourth Evangelical Lutheran church in the inner city of Munich and as the sixth in the city, which had been enlarged up to that time. After the first three Protestant churches in the city center were named after the evangelists Matthew, Mark and Luke, it was given the name of John the Evangelist in continuation of this tradition. It is located in Haidhausen at Preysingplatz near the Gasteig.
The Evangeliumskirche is an Evangelical Lutheran sacred building in the Hasenbergl district of Munich. It was inaugurated on December 2, 1962. Since 1969, the administration of the Vice Dean's Office Munich North has also been located here. The entire complex also includes the rectory, the parish apartments and the Grüß-Gott-Haus with the youth rooms. In addition, the Gospel Church looks after the Simeon's Chapel in the nearby Augustinum residential monastery.
The Englischer Garten is a large public park in the centre of Munich, Bavaria, stretching from the city centre to the northeastern city limits. It was created in 1789 by Sir Benjamin Thompson (1753–1814), later Count Rumford, for Prince Charles Theodore, Elector of Bavaria. Thompson's successors, Reinhard von Werneck (1757–1842) and Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell (1750–1823), advisers on the project from its beginning, both extended and improved the park.
30. Otto Fürst von Bismarck
The Bismarck Monument is a monumental statue in Munich, Germany, erected in memory of the former German Chancellor Prince Otto von Bismarck. It was created in 1931 by the Munich sculptor Fritz Behn. The statue depicts the statesman in a larger-than-life depiction. In his right hand he holds a sword pointed towards the ground. Behn modeled the design in the contemporary monumental style. It was executed in Rochlitz porphyry by the master stonemason Rödl.
31. BMW Welt
The BMW Welt is a combined exhibition, delivery, adventure museum, and event venue located in Munich's district Am Riesenfeld, next to the Olympic Park, in the immediate vicinity of the BMW Headquarters and factory. It was built from August 2003 to summer 2007. A solar system with 800 kW of power is installed on the roof of the main building. The opening took place on 17 October 2007. The BMW Welt is the most visited tourist attraction in Bavaria.
32. Memorial dedicated to the 1972 Olympic Tragedy
The Memorial to the Victims of the 1972 Olympic Assassination is a sculpture by the German sculptor Fritz Koenig (1924–2017) and bears the title Wailing Beam. It was erected on 27 September 1995 in the Olympic Park in Munich and is located on the connecting path from the Olympic Stadium to the former Olympic Village, exactly where a girder cable of the tent roof construction is anchored. It commemorates the victims of the Munich Olympic attack.
33. Deutsches Theatermuseum
The Deutsche Theatermuseum in Munich is a museum focused on history of the theater, and primarily devoted to the German-speaking theater history. It has its headquarters in the Churfürstlichen Gallerie, built in 1780–1781 by Carl Albert von Lespilliez, and located in the Galeriestraße 4a at Hofgarten. Director of the Museum is currently the theater, art and literary scholar Claudia Blank. She is also director of the photography collection.
34. Große Biga
Große Biga is a monumental bronze sculpture by Fritz Koenig. The artwork dates from 2000 and was installed in Munich in front of the Alte Pinakothek in the Maxvorstadt district, in the Kunstareal München. A biga is a two-wheeled chariot that was used in ancient Rome for exhibition fights and chariot races. The sculpture stylized depicts an ancient Roman chariot, with horses and man. Chariots, horses and people merge into a single unit.
35. BMW Headquarters
The BMW Headquarters, also known as the BMW Tower, is a high-rise building located in the Am Riesenfeld area of Munich, Germany. The building has served as the global corporate headquarters of German automaker BMW since 1973. It was declared a protected historic building in 1999, and it is often cited as one of the most notable examples of modern architecture in Munich. Extensive renovations commenced in 2004 and were completed in 2006.
The Trinity Church is a religious building in Munich, southern Germany. It is a votive church and was designed in Bavarian Baroque style according to plans from Giovanni Antonio Viscardi from 1711 to 1718. It is a monastery church of the Carmelites and a church of the Metropolitan parish of Our Blessed Lady. During the Second World War this was the only church in the center of Munich, which had been spared from destruction by bombs.
37. Richard Wagner
The Richard Wagner Monument is a monumental memorial to the composer Richard Wagner, created by the sculptor Heinrich Waderé. It is located in a green area on Prinzregentenplatz in Munich's Bogenhausen district between the Prinzregententheater and the Prinzregentenstadion. After a selection of different designs, the one that shows Richard Wagner in a pose similar to that of Goethe in his portrait Goethe in the Campagna was chosen.
38. Haus zur Hundskugel
The Haus zur Hundskugel is an old Munich town house. It is located in Munich's old town in the Hackenviertel at Hackenstraße 10. The four-storey building was built in 1741 as a result of a reconstruction, presumably by Johann Michael Fischer. The sculptors Johann Baptist Straub and Roman Anton Boos, among others, lived here. The building is registered as a monument in the list of monuments of the Free State of Bavaria.
39. St. Maria Thalkirchen
The Catholic parish and pilgrimage church of St. Maria in Munich-Thalkirchen is one of the pilgrimage churches in the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising. St. Maria Thalkirchen is located in the old village centre of Thalkirchen on a small hill above the former flood bed of the Isar. It was the mother church and one of the three churches of the old parish of Sendling and has been a separate parish again since 1903.
40. Berliner Bär
The Berlin Bear is a bronze monument in the median strip of the A 9 motorway. It was built in 1962 as part of the Berlin milestones in the city of Munich north of the Munich-Freimann motorway entrance at the level of today's München-Fröttmaning-Süd junction and shows the depiction of the Berlin heraldic animal by the sculptor Renée Sintenis on a stone pedestal. Among them is the inscription MUNICH BERLIN.
41. St. Willibald
The Catholic parish and monastery church of the Salvatorian St. Willibald is a modern church building in Munich. The parish area in the districts of Pasing and Laim is bounded in the north by the tracks of the Munich–Augsburg railway, in the west by the street "Am Knie", the Fischer-von-Erlach-Straße and the Willibaldstraße, in the south by the Camerloher Straße and in the east by the Agricolastraße.
The Magdalenenklause is a habitable artificial ruin in a secluded part of the forest north of the Boskette near the castle in the Nymphenburg Palace Park in Munich. It was built from 1725 by Joseph Effner on behalf of Max Emanuel. The building, which stands in the tradition of memento mori, is considered one of the first ruined architectures of European garden art. The interiors are designed as grottoes.
43. St. Heinrich
The Catholic parish church of St. Heinrich in Weilheimer Straße in Munich's Sendling-Westpark district was built in 1934/35 according to the plans of Hans Döllgast. It was consecrated on 14 July 1935, the name day of the church's patron saint Heinrich II, by Cardinal Faulhaber. After severe damage during the Second World War (1943), the church was repaired by the same architect from 1949 to 1951.
44. St. Sylvester
St. Sylvester is a Catholic church and parish in Schwabing, now part of Munich, in the German state (Bundesland) of Bavaria. It began with a village church in the 14th century, first documented in 1315, and dedicated to John the Baptist. A Gothic church was remodelled in Baroque style in the 17th century, and received furnishings such as sculpture attributed to Ignaz Günther or his school.
45. Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell
Friedrich Ludwig Skell, a knight of Skell since 1808, was made a nobleman at the age of 58. He is a German landscape architect, the founder of the "classical stage" of German and British landscape architecture, and an urban planner in Munich. Friedrich Ludwig Skyr, a Knight of Skyr from 1808, was made a nobleman at the age of 58. He belongs to Skell's family of gardeners and painters.
The Maximilianeum, a palatial building in Munich, was built as the home of a gifted students' foundation but since 1949 has housed the Bavarian State Parliament. It sits grandly and as a focal point on the bank of the Isar River above Maximilian Bridge at the eastern end of Maximilianstrasse, a royal avenue dotted with Neo-Gothic palaces influenced by the English Perpendicular style.
47. Truppendienstgericht und Bundeswehr Dienstleistungszentrum
The Truppendienstgericht Süd, based in Munich, is a federal court (Germany) within the portfolio of the Federal Ministry of Defence (BMVg). As a military service court, the Military Service Court is responsible for disciplinary proceedings against soldiers under the Military Disciplinary Code (WDO) and for decisions on military complaints under the Military Complaints Code (WBO).
48. St. Franziskus
The parish church of St. Francis in Munich-Untergiesing is a Catholic church building dedicated to St. Francis. The church is built in the neo-baroque style and has two church towers and a gable façade in the east. It is located on the corner of Hans-Mielichstraße and Konradinstraße and, together with the nearby Hans-Mielich-Platz, forms the centre of the Untergiesing district.
49. Städtisches Hochhaus
The Old Technical Town Hall, is a communal service building of the city administration Munich and today headquarters of the section for the planning and building regulations of the state capital Munich. It is the oldest high-rise building in Munich and is still referred to as "Das Hochhaus" by old-established Munichers, although there are now more and higher high-rise buildings.
50. apokalyptische Tiere
The Nordfriedhof, with 34,000 burial plots, is one of the largest cemeteries in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. It is situated in the suburb of Schwabing-Freimann. It was established by the former community of Schwabing in 1884. It is not to be confused with the Alter Nordfriedhof in Munich, which was set up only a short time previously within the then territory of the city of Munich.
51. BMW Museum
The BMW Museum is the corporate museum of BMW history and was established in 1973, shortly after the 1972 Summer Olympics opened. From 2004 to 2008, it was renovated in connection with the construction of the BMW Welt, directly opposite. The museum reopened on 21 June 2008. At the moment the exhibition space is 5,000 square meters for the presentation of about 120 exhibits.
52. Hall of Fame
The Ruhmeshalle is a Doric colonnade with a main range and two wings, designed by Leo von Klenze for Ludwig I of Bavaria. Built in 1853, it is situated on an ancient ledge above the Theresienwiese in Munich and was built as part of a complex which also includes the Bavariapark and the Bavaria statue. It is built of Kelheim limestone and is 68 metres long and 32 metres deep.
53. Sankt Michael
The Church of St. Michael the Archangel is a place of worship of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad in Munich, Germany. It belongs to the Russian Orthodox Diocese of the Orthodox Bishop of Berlin and Germany and is dedicated to the Synaxis of the Archangel Michael and the other disembodied powers. The building is registered as a monument in the Bavarian list of monuments.
54. St. Karl Borromäus
St. Charles Borromeo is a church building of the Roman Catholic Church in Munich, Germany. The church is dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo and serves as a parish church for the parish of Charles Borromeo in the parish of Forstenried. The building complex consisting of church, rectory and community center is registered as a monument in the Bavarian list of monuments.
The Theresia-Gerhardinger-Gymnasium am Anger is a girls' school at Blumenstraße 26 in the Angerviertel in Munich under the auspices of the Sisters of Notre Dame. It is a state-approved school with linguistic, musical and economic branches. The building also houses a primary school for girls, a kindergarten and a student dormitory for the School Sisters of the Poor.
56. Münchner Volkstheater
Münchner Volkstheater, or Munich People’s Theater, is a company based in the Bavarian capital and operated by the cultural office of the city government. Its original performing home opened in 1903. This was rebuilt in 1955, in 1983 and finally in 2021. It now can hold over 800 spectators. Since 2002, Christian Stückl has served as the company’s Intendant.
The Christuskirche at Dom-Pedro-Platz 4 in Munich is the church building of a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bavaria. With almost 9,000 members, the congregation is the largest Protestant parish in Munich and, together with St. Stephen's Church and numerous diaconal institutions, shapes Protestant life in the Neuhausen-Nymphenburg district.
The Kriechbaumhof in Munich-Haidhausen is a building built in the 17th century in the style of an alpine farm at Preysingstraße 71. Due to dilapidation, the farm had to make way for its historic location on Wolfgangstraße in 1976. The building was demolished and the individual parts were put into storage. In 1985 it was rebuilt with many original components.
59. Heilige Familie
The Catholic parish church of the Holy Family in Munich-Harlaching is the first modern church building in Munich. Richard Steidle was its architect. Consecrated in 1931 by Cardinal Michael von Faulhaber, the church was hit by an incendiary bomb on November 22, 1944. After reconstruction, the church was reopened in 1949 by Auxiliary Bishop Johannes Neuhäusler.
The blacksmith of Kochel is a legendary figure from Bavarian history, who is regarded as a folk hero, especially in Upper Bavaria. According to legend, he was a soldier in the Great Turkish War. Armed only with a pole, he is said to have rammed into the city gate of Belgrade. A reward offered by the Elector for his heroic deeds was rejected by the blacksmith.
61. Münchner Kammerspiele | Therese-Giehse-Halle
The Munich Kammerspiele is a state-funded German-language theater company based at the Schauspielhaus on Maximilianstrasse in the Bavarian capital. The company currently has three venues: the main stage of the theatre with two small stages, the workroom on Hildegardstrasse, and the Therese-Giehse-Halle in the rehearsal building on Falckenbergstrasse.
62. Alter Friedhof
The Old Cemetery in the Pasing district of the Bavarian capital Munich was laid out in the Middle Ages. The cemetery, in the former center of Pasing near the old Catholic parish church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, with the address Am Klostergarten 9 is a protected monument. Parts of the cemetery wall and some grave crosses have been preserved.
The Richard Strauss Fountain is located in Munich's pedestrian zone in front of the Old Academy. It forms a flowing end on the western side of the square-like area between the Old Academy and St. Michael's Church. Opposite, on the south side, stood the birthplace of Richard Strauss; since autumn 2013, the Josef Pschorr House has been located there.
There are more than 1000 bridges in the Bavarian capital Munich. Particularly well-known and characteristic of the cityscape are the bridges over the Isar and over the wide railway line of Munich Central Station. Others, on the other hand, are hardly recognizable in the streetscape, as they lead over now arched or disused and filled city streams.
Tantris is a restaurant in Munich, Germany. Opened in 1971, it is regarded as one of the best restaurants in Germany. It was voted 44th best in the world in the Restaurant (magazine) Top 50 2009. Chefs have included Eckart Witzigmann and Heinz Winkler. From 1991 till 2020, the chef has been Hans Haas. Since then Benjamin Chmura leads the kitchen.
66. Walking Man
Walking Man is a 1995 sculpture by Jonathan Borofsky, standing 17 metres (56 ft) tall and weighing 16 tonnes (35,000 lb). It is located on the Leopoldstraße in Munich, next to the Munich Re business premises. It was presented to the public on 21 September 1995 by then-head of Re, Hans-Jürgen Schinzler, and then-mayor of Munich, Christian Ude.
67. Kirche St. Ursula
The Catholic parish church of St. Ursula is the second parish church of the Munich district of Schwabing, in the district of Schwabing-Freimann. At the same time, St. Ursula is the first sacred building in Munich to turn away from medieval architectural models and thus take on a bridging function between historicism and Art Nouveau/Modernism.
The Emmaus Church is an Evangelical Lutheran church building in the Harlaching district of Munich, Germany. It is named after the biblical place of Emmaus. The church was built in 1964 by the architect Franz Lichtblau and painted in 1970 by Hubert Distler. The picture of the Last Supper in the rose window above the altar is by Rudolf Büder.
69. Amphitheater im Englischen Garten
The Amphitheater in the English Garden is an open-air stage in the Siebenbuchenwiese in the English Garden in Munich, Germany. Built in 1984 by Blütenring e. V. under the then president Pankraz Freiherr von Freyberg, it was opened on 13 July 1985 with a performance of the satire "Lohengrin" after Nestroy by the members of the association.
70. Historisches Kolleg
The Kaulbach Villa in Munich was built as a representative residence of the painter Friedrich August von Kaulbach in the neo-Renaissance style. The building designed by Gabriel von Seidl at Kaulbachstraße 15 in the Maxvorstadt district is listed as a monument in the Bavarian list of monuments and is now the seat of the Historisches Kolleg.
71. St. Benno Kirche
St. Benno is located in Maxvorstadt, Munich, Bavaria, Germany. The large church with two spires was built from 1888 to 1895 under design by Leonhard Romeis in the Romanesque Revival style. The St. Benno Church is one of the most convincing neo-Romanesque sacred buildings of the 19th century, next to the parish church of St. Anna in Lehel.
Gut Warnberg is a former estate in Munich-Solln, which today houses the Marienanstalt Warnberg monastery, a private secondary school and a riding stable. On the site there are remains of a medieval tower hill, which is the highest point in Munich at 580.50 m above sea level. The property is also the southernmost built-up point of the city.
73. Buscando la Luz
Buscando la Luz II is a monumental sculpture by Eduardo Chillida. The ironwork, consisting of three funnels, was made in 1997 and is considered the last large-scale sculpture by the Basque sculptor; it was erected in 2002 on the occasion of the opening of the Pinakothek der Moderne in the Kunstareal in Munich in the Maxvorstadt district.
The Ruffinihaus is a group of three houses on the Rindermarkt in the Old Town of Munich, Bavaria. It was built by Gabriel von Seidl from 1903 to 1905 and is named after the Ruffiniturm, which in turn was named after Johann Baptista Ruffini. The Ruffiniturm formed the original Sendlinger Tor and thus was part of Munich's first city wall.
The Siemens skyscraper at Baierbrunner Straße 54 in Munich is a well-known Munich building and landmark of the Siemens site in Obersendling. The building was built between 1961 and 1963 according to the plans of the architect Hans Maurer. With 23 floors and a height of 75 m, it was the tallest office tower in the city upon completion.
The Epiphany Church is a Protestant church at St.-Johann-Straße 26 in the Allach district of Munich, Germany. It belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran parish of Epiphany Church in the deanery of Munich in the church district of Munich and Upper Bavaria of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bavaria. The building is a listed building.
The Augustinian Church, also called the Augustinian Abbey (Augustinerkloster) or Abbey Church of St John the Baptist and John the Evangelist is a former church in Munich, Germany. Constructed during the 13th century and expanded during the next two centuries, it was the Abbey Church of the Augustinian hermits in the city.
The Sonnwendjochstraße bunker is a free-standing high-rise bunker built by Karl Meitinger, which was built in 1941 according to plans by the municipal building authority as air-raid shelter No. 7 in the Munich district of Berg am Laim. The building belongs to the City of Munich and has been a listed building since 1994.
79. Männerkloster des Heiligen Hiob von Pocaev
The Monastery of Saint Job of Pochayev or Obermenzing Monastery is a male monastery belonging to the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROKA) in the Obermenzing district of Munich, Germany. It is also the residence of Metropolitan Mark, who heads the Russian Orthodox Diocese of the Orthodox Bishop of Berlin and Germany.
Munich-Riem Airport was the international airport of Munich, the capital city of Bavaria and third-largest city of Germany. It was closed down on 16 May 1992, the day before the new Munich Airport commenced operations. It was located near the old village of Riem in the borough of Trudering-Riem in the east of Munich.
In graffiti jargon, Hall of Fame refers to places or wall surfaces where experienced writers in particular meet and high-quality and sophisticated graffiti is painted. In many cases, the areas are approved for painting by the respective owner. However, there are also Halls of Fame that have been created illegally.
82. Consulate general of Hungary, Munich
Hungary's Consulate General in Munich is one of Hungary's old consulates: it opened in 1922 in the capital of Bavaria. The building at Mauerkircherstrasse 1A was purchased in 2017 by the Hungarian state, formerly Vollmannstr. 2nd was the representation. The consul general since 2015 has been Gábor Tordai-Lejkó.
83. Alte St. Johann Baptist
The old Sollner Church of St. John the Baptist is the former Catholic church of Solln, which is now a district of Munich. It is one of the oldest church buildings in Munich and the surrounding area. From 1905, the newly built church of the same name St. Johann Baptist on Fellererplatz took over its function.
84. Willi Graf
Wilhelm Graf was a German member of the White Rose resistance group in Nazi Germany. The Catholic Church in Germany included Graf in their list of martyrs of the 20th century. In 2017, his cause for beatification was opened. He was given the title Servant of God, the first step toward possible sainthood.
85. Alter nördlicher Friedhof
The Alter Nordfriedhof is a former cemetery located in the Arcisstrasse in Maxvorstadt, Munich, Bavaria, Germany. It is not to be confused with the Nordfriedhof in Munich, which was set up only a short time later in Schwabing. Construction began in 1866 to designs by the city architect Arnold Zenetti.
86. Maria Schutz
The parish church of Maria Schutz is a Catholic parish church in the Pasing district of Munich, Germany. It belongs to the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising, its patronage is on May 1, the day of Mary, the patron saint of Bavaria. The associated festival is celebrated on the first Sunday in May.
87. Gedenkgrab für die Opfer der Mordweihnacht 1705
Sendling's Christmas (night) of murder was a massacre in 1705 in Sendling, then 2 km south west of Munich. An army of peasants, protesting the Austrian regime during the Bavarian People's Uprising, had marched on Munich, but was betrayed from within and massacred. Some 1,100 peasants were killed.
88. Present Continuous
Present Continuous is a monumental sculpture by the Dutch sculptor Henk Visch, which was erected in May 2011 between the entrance of the new building of the University of Television and Film and the entrance of the State Museum of Egyptian Art in Munich on a green strip along Gabelsbergerstraße.
The Bürgersaal is a historical building in Munich, Germany. Also known as Bürgersaalkirche since the consecration of the altar on May 13, 1778, it is the prayer and meeting room of the Marian Men Congregation "Annunciation". It was built in 1709/1710 under design by Giovanni Antonio Viscardi.
90. Am Krempelhuberplatz
Am Krempelhuberplatz is an approximately 1.5 hectare park in Munich's Lerchenau district. It is located south of the Krempelhuberplatz, named after August von Krempelhuber and inaugurated in 1958. On the eastern edge of the park there is a children's playground with a climbing tower and slide.
91. Heilig Kreuz
The Catholic parish church of the Holy Cross, consecrated in 1886, is the last completely preserved neo-Gothic church in Munich. At the same time, it is the older of the parish churches of Giesing. After war damage in 1944, various renovation measures were carried out in the post-war period.
The Maximiliansanlagen are parks and gardens in the Munich districts of Bogenhausen and Haidhausen between the Ludwigsbrücke and the Max-Joseph-Brücke. The central point is the 38-metre-high Angel of Peace. The eastern boundary of the complexes is largely formed by Maria-Theresia-Straße.
93. St. Maximilian
St. Maximilian is a Roman Catholic parish church of the Isar suburb in Munich, southern Germany. It was built from 1892 to 1908 under design by Heinrich von Schmidt in the Romanesque Revival style. St. Maximilian is located on the banks of the Isar, facing the tower of the Deutsches Museum.
94. St. Sebastian
The Catholic parish of St. Sebastian belongs to the deanery of the city center and is located in the Munich district of Schwabing-West. Since 2014, it has been the seat of the parish association "Am Luitpoldpark", which was founded together with its sister parish Maria vom Guten Rat.
The Church of the Revelation is an Evangelical Lutheran church in Munich-Berg am Laim, Germany. The parish was founded in 1929, one year after the consecration of the current rectory as a community center with a worship hall. The consecration of the present church took place in 1962.
The Catholic parish church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Munich-Neuhausen was built between 1997 and 2000 according to the plans of the Munich architectural firm Allmann Sattler Wappner. The modern building soon became one of the most frequently visited churches in Munich.
97. St. Georg
The Catholic branch church of St. George is the former village church of Bogenhausen and was its spiritual center until the construction of the Church of Holy Blood. Today it is best known for its Bogenhausen cemetery, where many celebrities found their final resting place.
98. St. Johann Baptist
The parish church of St. John the Baptist is a Roman Catholic church in the Munich district of Haidhausen. It was designed by Matthias Berger on Locust Place in the Gothic Revival style. The west tower is 97 meters high, making it the third highest church in Munich.
99. Glaspalast Brunnen
The Glass Palace Fountain in Munich-Haidhausen on Weißenburger Platz was designed in 1853 by August von Voit in the style of King Maximilian II (Maximilian style). The sculptural work was carried out by Anselm Sickinger, the stonemasonry by Nikolaus Höllriegel.
The Bethanienkirche is an Evangelical Lutheran church in Munich-Feldmoching. The name derives from the biblical place of Bethany. It was inaugurated on July 12, 1964. The church consecration festival takes place annually on the second Sunday in July.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.