Here you can find interesting sights in Magdeburg, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 24 sights are available in Magdeburg, Germany.Back to the list of cities in Germany
1. Magdeburger Halbkugeln
The Magdeburg hemispheres are a pair of large copper hemispheres, with mating rims. They were used to demonstrate the power of atmospheric pressure. When the rims were sealed with grease and the air was pumped out, the sphere contained a vacuum and could not be pulled apart by teams of horses in a famous first public demonstration in 1654. The Magdeburg hemispheres were invented by German scientist and mayor of Magdeburg, Otto von Guericke, to demonstrate the air pump that he had invented, and the concept of atmospheric pressure. The first artificial vacuum had been produced a few years earlier by Evangelista Torricelli, and had inspired Guericke to design the world's first vacuum pump, which consisted of a piston and cylinder with one-way flap valves. The hemispheres became popular in physics lectures as an illustration of the strength of air pressure, and are still used in education. The original hemispheres are on display in the Deutsches Museum in Munich.
2. Telegrafenstation 13 Biederitz Telegraphenberg
The Prussian Semaphore System was a telegraphic communications system used between Berlin and the Rhine Province from 1832 to 1849. It could transmit administrative and military messages by optical signal over a distance of nearly 550 kilometres (340 mi). The telegraph line comprised 62 stations each furnished with a signal mast with six cable-operated arms. The stations were equipped with telescopes that operators used to copy coded messages and forward them to the next station. Three dispatch departments located in Berlin, Cologne and Koblenz handled the coding and decoding of official telegrams. Although electric telegraphy made the system obsolete for military use, simplified semaphores were still used for railway signals.
3. Magdeburger Dom
Magdeburg Cathedral, officially called the Cathedral of Saints Maurice and Catherine, is a Protestant cathedral in Germany and the oldest Gothic cathedral in the country. It is the proto-cathedral of the former Prince-Archbishopric of Magdeburg. Today it is the principal church of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany. One of its steeples is 99.25 m tall, and the other is 100.98 m, making it one of the tallest cathedrals in eastern Germany. The cathedral is likewise the landmark of Magdeburg, the capital city of the Bundesland of Saxony-Anhalt, and is also home to the grave of Emperor Otto I the Great.
4. Glockenturm Sankt Stephanus
The Sankt-Stephanus Church is an Evangelical Church in the Westerhüsen district of Magdeburg with a building and community history that goes back to the time of Romanesque. After destruction in the Second World War, only the church tower is essentially preserved today. However, it continues to serve the Sankt Stephanus parish as a summer church, which uses the parish hall on the site in an unfavorable weather. The parish belongs to the parish of Magdeburg-Südost of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
5. Magdeburger Reiter
The Magdeburg rider is a equestrian stand that was made around 1240 in the younger Magdeburg workshop. It is an early life -size round -plastic equestrian statue of the medieval sculpture and is one of the strict works in European art history. Two virgins complement him to a group of figures. The three statues consist of several blocks of a fine -grained sandstone. There is a copy on the old market, the original can be seen in the Kaiser Otto Hall in the Magdeburg Cultural History Museum.
Jahrtausendturm is, at 60 metres (200 ft), one of the highest wooden towers in the world. It was established on the occasion of the Bundesgartenschau 1999 in the Magdeburger Elbauenpark in Magdeburg, Germany. The tower houses an exhibition on the development of sciences, which is supported by many descriptive experiments with which the visitor can interact. One notable example is a powerful telescope through which visitors can observe the distant clock-face on the Magdeburger cathedral.
Wallonerkirche (St. Augustine's Church) is a Protestant church in the Altstadt district of Magdeburg, Germany. The church and affiliated community center are used by the Evangelical Lutheran Old Town community and the Evangelical Reformed Magdeburg community. Church premises have also been used by the Protestant student community since 2004. In addition to the Cathedral, St. Sebastian's and St. Peter's, Walloon Church is the only surviving historic church in Magdeburg's Old City.
8. Sankt Marien
The Church of St. Marien is the Roman Catholic Church in Sudenburg, a district of Magdeburg, the state capital of Saxony-Anhalt. It belongs to the parish of St. Maria, which has her seat at the Church of the Christians in the Magdeburg district of Ottersleben, and the Deanery of Magdeburg in the diocese of Magdeburg. The church on Rottersdorfer Straße named after St. Mary is a listed building and is one of the cultural monuments in Sudenburg.
Otto von Guericke was a German scientist, inventor, and politician. His pioneering scientific work, the development of experimental methods and repeatable demonstrations on the physics of the vacuum, atmospheric pressure, electrostatic repulsion, his advocacy for the reality of "action at a distance" and of "absolute space" were noteworthy contributions for the advancement of the Scientific Revolution.
10. Festung Mark
The Mark Fortress, formerly referred to as barracks Mark, is a former “defensive barracks” of the Magdeburg fortress. Today it is used as the center for cultural events in Magdeburg. The building is now a listed building. Due to the few preserved defense barracks in Germany, the Mark Fortress is of national importance for the history of military construction in the 19th century.
11. Kettenschleppdampfer Gustav Zeuner
The chain steamer Gustav Zeuner was built in 1894 as the first second generation chain towing steamer in the Übigau shipyard near Dresden. The ship is the only almost completely preserved relic of chain shipping on the Elbe. The ship was on the Elbe from 1895 to 1931 and is now a museum ship in the Magdeburg trade port. It is named after the German engineer Gustav Zeuner.
St. Joseph's Church is a Catholic church in the Neu Olvenstedt district of Magdeburg, Germany. It is part of the parish of St. John Bosco, located at the Church of St. Agnes in the parish of Magdeburg. The church is dedicated to St. Joseph, who has been known by the Catholic Church as Joseph of the Workers since 1955, and celebrates his holiday on May 1. May be honored.
The Albinmüller tower is a lookout tower in the Rotehorn Park in Magdeburg and is one of the city's landmarks. The observation tower shapes the Magdeburg city silhouette and is located near the Elbe on the Elbinsel Werder next to the Magdeburg town hall. With its elegance and functionality, the tower is an important example of the new building of the 1920s.
14. Käthe Kollwitz
The Käthe-Kollwitz Monument is a bronze sculpture created by sculptor Gustav Seitz between 1956 and 1958. It was built in 1961 in Kollwitzplatz, in Berlin's Prenzrauerberg district, in memory of the artist Käthe Kollwitz, who lived at the site from 1891 until her house was destroyed in a bomb war in 1943. (Location coordinates).
15. Sankt Andreas
St Andrew's Church is a Roman Catholic church located in Krakau District of Magdeburg. The church, designated as Architectural Monument No. 094 824 83, is located at Bassermannstraße, the site of the Parish of St. Augustine in the Parish of Magdeburg.
17. Sankt Norbert
The Sankt-Norbert Church is the Catholic Church in the Magdeburg district of Buckau in Karl-Schmidt-Straße No. 5. The church named after St. Norbert von Xanten belongs to the cathedral parish of St. Sebastian of the diocese of Magdeburg.
18. Lokschuppen Alte Neustadt
The locomotive shed Alte Neustadt in Magdeburg is a listed historic locomotive shed that is located in the Alte Neustadt district on the property of Hafenstraße 9a. It is one of the oldest preserved rectangular locomotives in Germany.
The Rotehornpark, also known as Stadtpark Rotehorn, is the largest city park in the city of Magdeburg with an area of 200 hectares. The park is located on an island on the Elbe and belongs to the Garden Dreams Network Saxony-Anhalt.
20. Sankt Mechthild
St. Mechthild, named after the blessed Mechthild of Magdeburg, is a Roman Catholic church in the Neustädter Feld district of Magdeburg. It is part of the Parish of St. John Bosco, located at St. Agnes in the Parish of Magdeburg.
The fairytale fountain on Neustädter Platz was built in a central location in the Neustädter See residential area in Magdeburg as a fountain after the design by Annedore and Wolfgang Policek and inaugurated on May 23, 1982.
22. villa p. - Figurenspielsammlung Mitteldeutschland
The villa p. is a listed Wilhelminian half -timbered villa in the Magdeburg district of Buckau, which houses the figure game collection of the puppet theater Magdeburg. It is located at Porsestrasse 13 in 39104 Magdeburg.
23. Sankt Agnes
24. Sankt Sebastian
The St. Sebastian Church in the Magdeburg district of Lemsdorf is the parish church of the local Protestant parish. It is not to be confused with the Catholic cathedral of the same name in Magdeburg city centre.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.