Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Lutherstadt Wittenberg:Tickets and guided tours on GetYourGuide*
Explore interesting sights in Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 8 sights are available in Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Germany.List of cities in Germany Sightseeing Tours in Lutherstadt Wittenberg
All Saints' Church, commonly referred to as Schlosskirche to distinguish it from the Stadtkirche of St. Mary's – and sometimes known as the Reformation Memorial Church – is a Lutheran church in Wittenberg, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. It is the site where, according to Philip Melanchthon, the Ninety-five Theses were posted by Martin Luther in 1517, the act that has been called the start of the Protestant Reformation. From 1883 onwards, the church was restored as a memorial site and re-inaugurated on 31 October 1892, 375 years after Luther's posting. Because of its religious significance and testimony to the lasting global effects of the Reformation, the church was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1996 along with other sites in Wittenberg and Eisleben associated with Martin Luther and Philip Melanchthon.
2. Stadtkirche St. Marien
The Stadt- und Pfarrkirche St. Marien zu Wittenberg is the civic church of the German town of Lutherstadt Wittenberg. The reformers Martin Luther and Johannes Bugenhagen preached there and the building also saw the first celebration of the mass in German rather than Latin and the first ever distribution of the bread and wine to the congregation – it is thus considered the mother-church of the Protestant Reformation. In 1996, it was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List along with Castle Church of All Saints (Schlosskirche), the Lutherhaus, the Melanchthonhaus, and Martin's Luther's birth house and death house in Eisleben, because of its religious significance and testimony to the lasting, global influence of Protestantism.
The Melanchthonhaus is a writer's house museum in the German town of Lutherstadt Wittenberg. It is a Renaissance building with late Gothic arched windows and the broad-tiered gables. It includes the study of the influential Protestant Reformer Philipp Melanchthon, who lived there with his family. In 1954 the house became a museum on Melanchthon's life and work displaying paintings, prints and manuscripts by him and his contemporaries. In 1996, the building became a UNESCO World Heritage Site along with sites associated with Melanchthon's contemporary Martin Luther in Witternberg and Eisleben because of their religious significance and the lasting, global influence of Protestantism.
The so-called Cranach-Höfe are located in Wittenberg. In 1505, Elector Frederick the Wise appointed the painter Lucas from Kronach in Franconia to his Wittenberg court. Cranach lived in Wittenberg for 40 years, where he left a lasting mark as one of the most versatile personalities of the Reformation period. For example, there are two of his residences in the city, in which his workshops and workplaces were located. In these architecturally interesting monuments of the Renaissance, the history of one of Wittenberg's most famous citizens is combined with the architectural history of two houses.
5. Schloss Wittenberg
Wittenberg Castle is the former residence of the Saxon electors. It was completely rebuilt from 1489 and was one of the most magnificent fortified castles of the early Renaissance in Germany when it was completed in 1525. After fires in 1760 and 1814 and the loss of importance of Wittenberg due to the Schmalkaldic War and the Congress of Vienna, little remains of the former splendour of the building.
The Lutherhaus is a writer's house museum in Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Germany. Originally built in 1504 as part of the University of Wittenberg, the building was the home of Martin Luther for most of his adult life and a significant location in the history of the Protestant Reformation. Luther was living here when he wrote his 95 Theses.
7. Altes Rathaus
The Old Town Hall of Lutherstadt Wittenberg is located in the center of the old town on the market square. It is one of the most important buildings of the Saxon Renaissance and was the seat of the Wittenberg city administration from the 16th century to 2000.
8. Unbefleckte Empfängnis
The Immaculate Conception Church is a Roman Catholic church in Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Germany. It is the parish church of the parish "St. Marien, Wittenberg", to which since 2010 also several communities in the area belong.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.