12 Sights in Jena, Germany (with Map and Images)
Explore interesting sights in Jena, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 12 sights are available in Jena, Germany.List of cities in Germany Sightseeing Tours in Jena
1. Carl Zeiss Grabmal
Carl Zeiss was a German scientific instrument maker, optician and businessman. In 1846 he founded his workshop, which is still in business as Carl Zeiss AG. Zeiss gathered a group of gifted practical and theoretical opticians and glass makers to reshape most aspects of optical instrument production. His collaboration with Ernst Abbe revolutionized optical theory and practical design of microscopes. Their quest to extend these advances brought Otto Schott into the enterprises to revolutionize optical glass manufacture. The firm of Carl Zeiss grew to one of the largest and most respected optical firms in the world.
The Johannistor is the only remaining preserved city gate of the city of Jena, Thuringia, Germany. As part of the medieval city wall, it is connected to the Pulverturm via a reconstructed walkway. The outer gate remained in existence until the beginning of the nineteenth century, when it was demolished as a result of increasing traffic. Until the houses lining the south side of Johannisstrasse were demolished in 1968, the Johannistor remained the only western entrance to the old town of Jena.
The Abbeanum is a teaching and research building of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena. It was built between 1929 and 1930 in the Bauhaus style with funds from the Carl Zeiss Foundation founded by Ernst Abbe. The former Bauhaus student Professor Ernst Neufert could be won over as an architect. At that time, the building was used by the Optical Institute and the Institute of Applied Mathematics.
4. Ernst Abbe-Grabmal
Ernst Karl Abbe was a German physicist, optical scientist, entrepreneur, and social reformer. Together with Otto Schott and Carl Zeiss, he developed numerous optical instruments. He was also a co-owner of Carl Zeiss AG, a German manufacturer of scientific microscopes, astronomical telescopes, planetariums, and other advanced optical systems.
The Brotherhood Monument in Jena was completed on January 12th. It was built on June 6, 1883 to commemorate the original fraternity founded in 1815 on the historic Eichplatz before Burschenschaftseiche (1816-1968). Since 1951, the site has been located in front of the main building of the university.
6. Kath Kirche St. Johannes Baptist
The Roman Catholic parish church of St. Johannes Baptist is located in the Thuringian city of Jena. It is the parish church of the parish of St. Johannes Baptist Jena in the deanery of Weimar of the Diocese of Erfurt. It bears the patronage of St. John the Baptist.
The Evangelical Trinity Church is located in the Burgau district of the city of Jena in Thuringia. It belongs to the pastoral care district Jena-Süd of the church district Jena in the provost district Gera-Weimar of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
The Hanfried is a bronze figure on the market square in Jena in memory of Johann Friedrich I of Saxony, the founder of the city's university. The monument was unveiled on the occasion of the 300th anniversary of the university on August 18, 1858.
The Napoleon Stone is a monument to the Battle of Jena and Auerstedt and lies on the Windknollen northwest of Jena. Due to its location on this hill close to the city, the Napoleonstein is a popular destination for the Jena population.
10. Burg Greifenberg
The Hausberg near Jena is an elongated 391.7 m above sea level shell limestone mountain east of Jena in Thuringia. The mountain, on which the observation tower Fuchsturm is located, is a popular hiking destination close to the city.
The Volkspark Oberaue in Jena is the only Thuringian park with the name Volkspark. The park consists of the three adjacent areas Rasenmühleninsel, Paradies and Oberaue. Since 2002 it has been classified as a cultural monument.
12. Botanical Garden
The Botanischer Garten Jena is the second oldest botanical garden in Germany, maintained by the University of Jena and located at Fürstengraben 26, Jena, Thuringia, Germany. It is open daily; an admission fee is charged.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.