44 Sights in Heidelberg, Germany (with Map and Images)
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Heidelberg:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Here you can book free guided walking tours in Heidelberg:Guided Free Walking Tours on Freetour*
Explore interesting sights in Heidelberg, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 44 sights are available in Heidelberg, Germany.List of cities in GermanySightseeing Tours in Heidelberg
1. HeiligenbergBook Ticket*
The Heiligenberg is a large wooded hill overlooking the town of Heidelberg in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It rises to around 440 metres NHN. It has been the site of many historic and pre-historic constructions, including a Celtic hilltop fortification, a Roman sacred precinct, several medieval monasteries, modern lookout towers and the Heidelberg Thingstätte, built by the Nazis in the 1930s.
2. MarstallBook Ticket*
The Heidelberg Marstall, built from Neckar valleys sandstone, is one of the oldest surviving buildings from the early modern period in Heidelberg. The building now called Marstall was originally called Zeughaus, while the Marstall was located south of a building that has since been destroyed.
3. Church of the Holy SpiritBook Ticket*
The Church of the Holy Spirit is the largest church in Heidelberg, Germany. The church, located in the marketplace in the old town center, was constructed between 1398 and 1515 in the Romanesque and Gothic styles. It receives 1–3 million guests annually, making it among the most visited churches in Germany.
Jehovah's Witnesses is a millenarian restorationist Christian denomination with nontrinitarian beliefs distinct from mainstream Christianity. The group reports a worldwide membership of approximately 8.5 million adherents involved in evangelism and an annual Memorial attendance of over 19.7 million. Jehovah's Witnesses are directed by the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, a group of elders in Warwick, New York, United States, which establishes all doctrines based on its interpretations of the Bible. They believe that the destruction of the present world system at Armageddon is imminent, and that the establishment of God's kingdom over the earth is the only solution for all problems faced by humanity.
The Gaisbergturm in Heidelberg is an architectural monument that stands at the transition of the small plateau of the 375.6 m above sea level Gaisberg to the northwest slope. Designed by the architect Fritz Seitz, it was built in 1876 by the Heidelberger Schlossverein. The tower, which is over 13 m high, can be climbed via 85 differently shaped steps on an external spiral staircase. The lighthouse of Alexandria probably served as a model. In addition, the shape resembles some oriental spiral minarets. The masonry of the tower consists of red sandstone ashlars and has been piled up without mortar or other binders.
The Jesuit Church is the largest and most important church in Heidelberg next to the Heiliggeistkirche and forms the architectural focus of the former Jesuit district in the old town in the immediate vicinity of the university square. Today it is the main church of the Roman Catholic Holy Spirit community in the old town of Heidelberg. The church was built in a baroque style from 1712 to 1759, the new baroque tower was only added from 1868 to 1872. The church, which is not used as usual, but is aligned to the south, is a "remarkable and unusual building".
Lochheim is an abandoned village in the Rhein-Neckar-Kreis in the district of Karlsruhe in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It lies south of the Leimbach and the Landgraben and north of the large sand dune fields on a flat, looped sand ridge on the southern edge of the Neckar alluvial cone in the Neckar-Rhine plain. The large sand dune fields south of the deserted Lochheim are located in the forest area called Pflege Schönau – in which the nature reserve "Sandhausener Düne, Pflege Schönau-Galgenbuckel" is also located – in the Hardt plains.
The castle goes back to a smaller late medieval aristocratic residence in Handschuhsheim. The listed building has been rebuilt many times and has an eventful ownership history. The oldest component is the striking stair tower from the early 17th century. The building has been owned by the city of Heidelberg since the First World War and today serves cultural purposes. The new building on the site of the former orangery of the castle was named after the painter Carl Rottmann, born in Handschuhsheim, whose grandfather once owned the property.
The Heidenloch is a 55 metre deep historic shaft with a diameter of between three and four metres on the Heidelberg Heiligenberg. It is located a few meters west of the observation tower on the road to the Heiligenberg. The shaft has been a frequently described attraction since the early modern period. For a long time it was walled over by a vault and barred. In 1936, the shaft was opened and thoroughly researched for the first time by employees of the Kurpfälzisches Museum. In 1987, a refuge was built over the excavated shaft.
The Hortus Palatinus, or Garden of the Palatinate, was a Baroque garden attached to Heidelberg Castle, Germany. The garden was commissioned by Frederick V, Elector Palatine in 1614 for his new wife, Elizabeth Stuart, and became famous across Europe during the 17th century for the landscaping and horticultural techniques involved in its design. At the time it was known as the 'Eighth Wonder of the World', and has since been termed 'Germany's greatest Renaissance garden.'
11. Carl Bosch Museum
The Carl Bosch Museum Heidelberg is a museum of technology on more than 300 m² and two outdoor areas showing the life and work of Heidelberg Nobel Prize winner Carl Bosch (1874–1940) and was founded in 1998. Located in Schloss-Wolfsbrunnenweg, the building in which the museum is located once served as an apartment for Bosch's chauffeurs and as a garage for Bosch's automobiles. Carl Bosch's residence was the Villa Bosch a few hundred meters from the garage house.
After Gotha in 1878 and at the same time as Hamburg, Heidelberg also received a crematorium in the Heidelberg Bergfriedhof in 1891. However, it was planned from the outset not only for the needs of Heidelberg, but for the whole of southwest Germany. The establishment of a crematorium was accompanied by strong religious-ecclesiastical concerns, so that characteristically an ancient form of construction was used here, at the time of which cremation was common.
13. Helmstätter Herrenhaus
The Helmstätter Herrenhaus is a historic building in Heidelberg-Handschuhsheim, Germany. The listed building, which is now used as a restaurant, goes back to the village's baronial estate, whose property was linked to the neighbouring Tiefburg. After the destruction of the wars of the 17th century, the Lords of Helmstatt gave up the castle as a residence and instead built the manor house around 1700 on the site of an abandoned estate.
14. Alte Brücke
The Karl Theodor Bridge, commonly known as the Old Bridge, is an arch bridge in Heidelberg that crosses the Neckar river. It connects the Old City with the eastern part of the Neuenheim district of the city on the opposite bank. The current bridge, made of Neckar sandstone and the ninth built on the site, was constructed in 1788 by Elector Charles Theodore, and is one of the best-known landmarks and tourist destinations in Heidelberg.
The Church of the Redeemer is a church in Heidelberg's old town, which was built in 1723/24 as a monastery church of the "White Nuns" (Dominican nuns). After the abolition of the monastery, it was used for various purposes and is now the parish church of the Old Catholic community. Apart from the Jesuit Church, it is the only surviving of the originally numerous monastery churches in Heidelberg's old town.
16. Obere Burg
The Obere Burg, also known as Alte Burg, Altes Schloss, Burg zu Berge, is an abandoned hilltop castle on the Kleiner Gaisberg above Heidelberg Castle in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Like Heidelberg Castle, the complex already existed in the High Middle Ages, but was destroyed in 1537 by lightning and explosion of powder supplies. The site of the castle is now essentially covered with the whey cure.
17. Heidelberger Brückenaffe
The Heidelberg Bridge Monkey dates back to the 15th century. It was a stone statue sitting in the tower of the Old Bridge, which was located opposite Heidelberg’s Old Town. The purpose of the tower was to instill fear and respect in anyone arriving in the town, while the monkey represented mockery. The statue was destroyed with the tower during the Nine Years' War.
Located south of Heidelberg, the chapel is a protected former church building. It is located at the corner of R ö merstraße and Rheinstraße, in a former U.S. Army residential area known as Mark Twain Village. Built in 1951 and designed by Mannheim architect Emil Serini, it is a non-denominational church for use by members of the U.S. Armed Forces.
Gaisberg (Heidelberg) is a mountain of Baden-Württemberg, Germany. In the 17th century, Matthäus Merian (1593–1650) depicted the Gaisberg as almost completely treeless. Today it is mostly covered in dense deciduous forest and rises above the western part of Heidelberg's old town and the adjoining western town on the edge of the Upper Rhine plain.
The Ehrenfriedhof Heidelberg is located above the Südstadt of Heidelberg at an altitude of about 295 meters on the so-called ant hump above the Heidelberg mountain cemetery. The complex was laid out from 1933 to 1935 as a military cemetery to accommodate more than 500 reburied fallen of the First World War and has an area of over 17 ha.
21. St. Johannes
St. Johannes is the Roman Catholic parish church in the Heidelberg district of Rohrbach. It was built between 1963 and 1965 and consecrated to the Apostle and Evangelist John. The parish of St. Johannes today forms with the parishes of St. Paul (Boxberg-Emmertsgrund) and St. Peter (Kirchheim) the pastoral care unit Heidelberg-Süd.
22. Botanischer Garten
The Botanischer Garten der Universität Heidelberg, also known as the Botanischer Garten Heidelberg, is a botanical garden maintained by the University of Heidelberg. It is located at Im Neuenheimer Feld 340, New Campus, Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany; portions are open to the public daily except Saturday without charge.
Wikipedia: Botanical Garden of the University of Heidelberg (EN), Url Official
The Heidelberg Thingstätte is an open-air theatre on the Heiligenberg in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It was built during the Third Reich for performances and events as part of the Thingspiel movement. Until 2018, it was primarily used for unofficial Walpurgis Night celebrations. It is a protected cultural monument.
24. St. Michaelskloster
The Monastery of St. Michael German: Michaelskloster, on the Heiligenberg in Heidelberg, was a branch of the nearby Lorsch Abbey. The ruined complex that can be seen today was built beginning in 1023. The monastery was occupied successively by several religious orders before it was abandoned in the 16th century.
The Heiligenberg Tower in Heidelberg is a 16.5 m high lookout tower, which on the right Neckar side opposite the old town of Heidelberg on the edge of the former Stephans monastery on the 375.5 m above sea level. NHN Hohen Michelsberg, a pre -summit of the 439.9 m above sea level. Nhn Hohen Heiligenberg is.
St. Stephen's Monastery on the 375.5 m above sea level Michelsberg in Heidelberg is a monastery founded in the 11th century next to St. Michael's Monastery as a second branch of Lorsch Abbey, of which only remains of foundations are preserved today. The Michelsberg is located south of the Heiligenberg.
27. Institut für Übersetzen und Dolmetschen
The Haus zum Riesen is a modern city palace built in 1707/1708 in Heidelberg's old town. The building is named after a statue decorating the building. It has been used by the Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg since the middle of the 19th century, and several important scientists have worked in it.
28. St. Vitus
St. Vitus is the Catholic parish church in Heidelberg-Handschuhsheim. It is the oldest church in Heidelberg and one of the oldest churches in the region, whose use is continuously verifiable. It is named after Saint Vitus (St. Vitus), an early Christian martyr and one of the Fourteen Helpers.
29. Stauwehr Wieblingen
The Wieblingen weir is a weir on the Neckar near Heidelberg. It is part of the Schwabenheim lift, as is the Schwabenheim lock at the lower end of the Wieblingen side channel as well as the power plants Schwabenheim and Wieblingen. It was built from 1922 to 1925 and is a listed building.
30. Studentenmuseum mit Karzer
The last student prison in the history of Heidelberg was located at Augustinergasse 24 and served as a prison for students of the Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg. Today it is affiliated to the Old University of Heidelberg as part of the Museum of History of the University.
The Church of Hoffungs in Heidelberg is a church of Baptists and was built in 1963. It has had its name since 1988. The community was initially looked after from Mannheim and became self -employed in 1968. The branches also include the branches in Allerühl, Wall and Moosbrunn.
The water tower at Eppelheimer Straße 46 ensured the water supply of the former locomotive depot in Heidelberg and the steam locomotives operating until the 70s. The building is one of the few preserved monuments of the industrial heritage of Heidelberg's Bahnstadt.
The Providence Church is a Protestant church on the main street in the old town of Heidelberg. Until the Church Union of 1821, it was the church of the Lutheran congregation, while the Reformed congregation gathered in the Church of the Holy Spirit.
34. Deutsches Apotheken-Museum
The Deutsches Apotheken-Museum in Heidelberg is a German museum on the history of pharmacy. It has extensive collections whose exhibits cover the entire German-speaking world from antiquity to the 21st century. It is located in Heidelberg Castle.
35. Sammlung Prinzhorn
The Prinzhorn Collection is a German collection of art made by mental health patients, housed at the Heidelberg University Hospital. The collection comprises over 20,000 works, including works by Emma Hauck, Agnes Richter and August Natterer.
The Museum of Evo and E. von Portheim Foundation in Heidelberg houses collections on religion, art and everyday life from the regions of Asia, Africa and Oceania. Art and culture of these regions are presented in changing special exhibitions.
37. Kongresshaus Stadthalle Heidelberg
The Stadthalle Heidelberg is a congress and cultural center located in the old town of Heidelberg on the banks of the Neckar. It was built according to the plans of the architects Jakob Henkenhaf and Friedrich Ebert in the years 1901 to 1903.
38. Rohrbacher Schlößchen
Rohrbach Castle, popularly known as Rohrbacher Schlösschen or Altes Schlösschen, is located in the middle of Heidelberg's Rohrbach district. It is located there in a park on the grounds of the Thoraxklinik Heidelberg on today's Parkstraße.
39. Sankt Paul
The Church of St. Paul in the Heidelberg district of Boxberg was built from 1970 to 1972 as a Roman Catholic parish church for the two southern mining districts of Heidelberg, Boxberg and Emmertsgrund. The church is a listed building.
40. St. Bartholomäus
The new St. Bartholomew's Church is the Catholic parish church in the Heidelberg district of Wieblingen. It was built between 1955 and 1956 because the old St. Bartholomew's Church had become too small. It is a listed building.
Wikipedia: Pfarrkirche St. Bartholomäus (Heidelberg-Wieblingen) (DE)
The Friedenskirche is a Protestant church in the Heidelberg district of Handschuhsheim, which was built in the years 1908 to 1910 according to plans by Hermann Behaghel and is considered one of the highlights of his work.
42. Villa Bosch
The Villa Bosch is a reused former bourgeois house in Heidelberg, Schloß-Wolfsbrunnenweg 33, which has been a listed building for a long time and was also entered in the list of particularly protective monuments in 1997.
St. Peter's Church is the oldest church in Heidelberg's old town. Since the late Middle Ages, it has often served as the university chapel of the University of Heidelberg. It has been a university church since 1896.
44. St. Albert
St. Albert is the Catholic parish church in the Bergheim district of Heidelberg, Germany. It was built between 1933 and 1935 according to plans by Franz Sales Kuhn and is dedicated to St. Albertus Magnus.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.