Explore interesting sights in Grimma, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 8 sights are available in Grimma, Germany.
1. Schloss Mutzschen
Mutzschen Castle is located on the edge of the city centre of Mutzschen, east of Grimma, in the district of Leipzig, Saxony, on a spore above the Mutzschen Water. Already in the early Bronze Age, a fortification plant of Lusatian Culture rose here, as a branch of Aunjetitz culture. Proved one was in 9th century, dated Wendische Castle complex and after the eastern settlement in the second half of the town 10th century an early castle. From the medieval castle, no remains of the building have been preserved above ground. The baroque castle, a two-storey construction with a gifted risalite, is visible today, includes the gate guardian house, an octagonal flanking tower, the castle bridge, the upstream remains of the knight's estate on the premises of the forecastle, the terrace gardens, an extensive, natural park and a stowed castle pond with a castle mill, the castle houses with the salt shank and the houses under the castle.
2. Kloster Nimbschen
Nimbschen Abbey (Marienthron) is a former Cistercian abbey located immediately south of Grimma in the Saxon district of Leipzig an der Mulde. It existed between 1243 and 1536/42 and, after its dissolution between 1550 and 1948, belonged to the Prince's School in Grimma and the Gymnasium St. Augustin in Grimma. In 1810, the material from the monastery, which had fallen into disrepair after its dissolution, was used to create the new monastery estate, which is now used as a hotel. In addition to the monastery, the settlement of Nimbschen was built on the neighbouring Klosterholz.
The Pöppelmannbridge spans the river trough in Grimma. The bridge is named by its original planner, the well-known baroque architect Matthew Daniel Pöppelmann, and serves pedestrian and cycling traffic. The monument-protected building dating back to 1719 had originally six basket arches, of which four arches have been preserved since the August high water 2002. The middle bridge section with two collapsed bridge arches and the destroyed main opening has been composed of a steel pipe explosive bridge since 2012.
The Frauenkirche zu Grimma is a church building of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Saxony in Grimma in the district of Leipzig in the Free State of Saxony. With its two towers, each 46 metres high, the sacred building plays a significant role in shaping the townscape of Grimma. The church has its origins in a small market church of Our Lady of St. Mary, built after 1170, near the old market, today Baderplan.
5. Klosterkirche St. Augustin
The monastery church of St. Augustin zu Grimma is a sacred building built around 1435 as a hall church, whose predecessor was built around 1300. With a wall thickness of almost one and a half meters, the structure has a length of more than 54 meters, an average width of over 12 meters and a height of 19 meters. Martin Luther once called it a "chestbreaker".
6. Bismarckturm (Grimma)
The Bismarck Tower near Grimma in the Saxon district of Leipzig is a Bismarck monument erected in honor of the former German Chancellor Prince Otto von Bismarck. It is located in the Jutta-Park landscape park at an altitude of about 169 m on the western flank of the 181 m high Galgenberg near the district of Kaditzsch, south-east of Grimma.
The St. Georgen chapel in Grimma is an early Gothic medieval chapel on Via Regia. The towerless hall building made of Bruchstein is located at Leisniger Straße 54 in the Grimma district of Neuneunitz.
8. Menhir Thümmlitzwald 1
The Menhire in the Thümmlitzwald are two prehistoric Menhire in the Thümmlitzwald near Grimma in the Leipzig district. Menhir II is the highest Menhir Saxony and one of the highest in Germany at 5 m.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.