8 Sights in Güstrow, Germany (with Map and Images)
Explore interesting sights in Güstrow, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 8 sights are available in Güstrow, Germany.List of cities in Germany Sightseeing Tours in Güstrow
1. Landesdenkmal für die Befreiungskrieger
The Landesdenkmal für die Befreiungskrieger 1813–1815 (State Monument to the Liberation Warriors 1813–1815) is a monument on Franz-Parr-Platz in Güstrow, Germany. It was built between 1863 and 1865 according to a design by the architect and Schwerin court architect Hermann Willebrand. The sculptural works were created by Georg Wiese, probably according to designs by Albert Wolff. The financing was provided by an initiative of Güstrow citizens and by a collection of money among participants and members of the wars of liberation in preparation for the 50th anniversary. The foundation stone was laid on 27 March 1863 and the monument was unveiled on 12 July 1865.
Wikipedia: Landesdenkmal für die Befreiungskrieger 1813–1815 (DE)
2. Pfarrkirche St. Marien
The parish church of St. Marien is the church of the Evangelical-Lutheran parish of Güstrow. The parish belongs to the Propstei Rostock in the church district of Mecklenburg of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Northern Germany (Nordkirche). The church, a work of North German brick Gothic, is a three-aisled hall church. A special feature in Germany are the parallel longitudinal roofs above the nave. During an extensive restoration at the end of the 19th century, the appearance of the facades was standardized. Her most important work of art is a winged altar by the Brussels sculptor Jan Borman from 1522.
The Wildpark-MV is the year-round open zoo of Güstrow in Mecklenburg with predominantly native wild animals. Located in the east of the city and south of the Nebele, it is embedded in a 200-hectare parkland. It was founded in 1959 as one of the numerous small Heimattiergärten of the German Democratic Republic. After German reunification, it was considerably expanded and redesigned according to a completely new concept. For the International Horticultural Exhibition 2003 (Rostock) the wildlife park was an outdoor location.
4. Dom zu Güstrow
The Dom ("cathedral") is a Brick Gothic Lutheran church, the largest church in the German city of Güstrow. It was built as a collegiate church and has never actually been a cathedral. Initially completed in 1335, the church is the oldest extant building in Güstrow. It houses the sculpture Der Schwebende, a war memorial created by Ernst Barlach.
5. Norddeutsches Krippenmuseum
Since 2007, the North German Nativity Museum in the Holy Spirit Church in Güstrow has been showing Christmas cribs from all over the world in a permanent exhibition. The museum show is supplemented by special exhibitions, for which private individuals, for example, make their cribs available on loan.
Gustro Cathedral School, located in Cathedral Square, was a Latin school established in Gustro in 1552 by John Albrecht I (1525-1576), Duke of Mecklenburg, and later became a grammar school. Built in 1575/79, it is the oldest existing school building in Mecklenburg.
7. Mariä Himmelfahrt
The Catholic parish church Mariä Himmelfahrt is an expressionist hall church in Güstrow in the district of Rostock in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. It belongs to the parish of the Assumption of Mary in the Regional Deanery of Mecklenburg of the Archdiocese of Hamburg.
The Gertrudenkapelle in Güstrow is a listed former chapel, which received its current form through two drastic changes of use in the 20th century. Since 1953 it has served as an exhibition venue for works by Ernst Barlach and a memorial to him.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.