28 Sights in Göttingen, Germany (with Map and Images)
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Göttingen:Tickets and guided tours on GetYourGuide*
Explore interesting sights in Göttingen, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 28 sights are available in Göttingen, Germany.List of cities in Germany Sightseeing Tours in Göttingen
St. Martin's is a Lutheran church in Groß Ellershausen, Göttingen, Lower Saxony, Germany. It is significant as possibly retaining the oldest existing structure, its tower, in southern Lower Saxony. While the details of the origin of the church building have been lost in the mist of history, architectural analysis indicates that the Romanesque church tower was most likely built in the tenth or eleventh century. The remains of a hearth on the second floor have led to the conclusion that the tower was originally a Wohnturm of a titled family, probably the Herren von Ellershausen, which lived there at the time. The church's ship is much younger, probably having been built or re-built during the Barocque era. It was repaired in 1838..
The Eulenturm is a viewpoint in the Göttingen Forest immediately east of the built-up area of the city of Göttingen in the borough of Oststadt. It stands above the Schillerwiese on the lower slope of the Hainberg on a ridge between the valleys Molkengrund in the north and Lange Nacht in the south. The round tower built into the slope with a viewing platform made of limestone and sandstone ashlars has a height of about 4 meters at the front. The ground-level tower entrance at the front was bricked up for safety reasons. The Eulenturm was built at the end of the 19th century by the Göttinger Verschönerungs-Verein (GVV) as part of the development of the Hainberg into a recreational area in the style of a public garden.
3. Göttinger 7
The Göttingen Seven were a group of seven liberal professors at University of Göttingen. In 1837, they protested against the annullment of the constitution of the Kingdom of Hanover by its new ruler, King Ernest Augustus, and refused to swear an oath to the king. The company of seven was led by historian Friedrich Christoph Dahlmann, who himself was one of the key advocates of the previous constitution. The other six were the Germanist brothers Wilhelm and Jacob Grimm, jurist Wilhelm Eduard Albrecht, historian Georg Gottfried Gervinus, physicist Wilhelm Eduard Weber, and theologian and orientalist Heinrich Georg August Ewald.
The Vierkirchenblick in Hanover is a location in front of the Marktkirche, from which visitors can see the four church towers of the Evangelical-Lutheran main churches of the capital of Lower Saxony. The position at Hanns-Lilje-Platz on the corner of Kramerstraße and Knochenhauerstraße is marked by a stone cross in the pavement. From here, in addition to the tower of the Marktkirche, the towers of the Aegidienkirche, the Kreuzkirche and the Neustädter Kirche built in the Calenberger Neustadt can be seen. The symmetrical cross is part of a circle of differently colored cobblestones, over which the red thread leads.
5. Otto Hahn
Otto Hahn was a German chemist who was a pioneer in the fields of radioactivity and radiochemistry. He is referred to as the father of nuclear chemistry and father of nuclear fission. Hahn and Lise Meitner discovered radioactive isotopes of radium, thorium, protactinium and uranium. He also discovered the phenomena of atomic recoil and nuclear isomerism, and pioneered rubidium–strontium dating. In 1938, Hahn, Lise Meitner and Fritz Strassmann discovered nuclear fission, for which Hahn received the 1944 Nobel Prize for Chemistry. Nuclear fission was the basis for nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons.
The Zoological Museum of the University of Göttingen was part of the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, emerged from the Natural History Museum of the University of Göttingen and housed the publicly accessible part of an extensive research collection of taxidermy animals and skeletons. The museum was part of the Johann Friedrich Blumenbach Institute for Zoology and Anthropology. It was located in the former Zoological Institute of the University at Berliner Straße 28, near the Göttingen train station.
7. Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
Georg Christoph Lichtenberg was a German physicist, satirist, and Anglophile. As a scientist, he was the first to hold a professorship explicitly dedicated to experimental physics in Germany. He is remembered for his posthumously published notebooks, which he himself called sudelbücher, a description modelled on the English bookkeeping term "waste books" or "scrapbooks", and for his discovery of tree-like electrical discharge patterns now called Lichtenberg figures.
8. St. Pankratius
The Evangelical-Lutheran, listed church of St. Pankratius is in Esebeck, which together with Elliehausen forms a village of the university town of Göttingen in the district of Göttingen of Lower Saxony. The parish of Esebeck merged with the parish of Elliehausen to the St. Martini church community Elliehausen-Eesebeck. They belong to the Göttingen church district in the Sprengel Hildesheim-Göttingen of the Evangelical Lutheran State Church of Hanover.
9. St. James's Church
The Evangelical Lutheran parish church of St. Jacobi in the old town of Göttingen in Lower Saxony is a three-aisled Gothic hall church built between 1361 and 1433. The patron saint of the church is James the Elder. The tower of the church with its 72 meters height is the tallest building in Göttingen's old town. The Gothic winged altar from 1402, which is located in the choir of the church, is of supra-regional importance.
10. Max Born
Max Born was a German physicist and mathematician who was instrumental in the development of quantum mechanics. He also made contributions to solid-state physics and optics and supervised the work of a number of notable physicists in the 1920s and 1930s. Born won the 1954 Nobel Prize in Physics for his "fundamental research in quantum mechanics, especially in the statistical interpretation of the wave function".
11. Goose Girl Well
The Gänseliesel is a fountain which was erected in 1901 in front of the mediaeval town hall of Göttingen, Germany. Although rather small in size, the fountain is the best-known landmark of the city. Today, it is an essential part of graduation celebrations, for every student who finishes a doctorate at the University of Göttingen has to climb the fountain and kiss the statue of the goose girl.
12. Bismarck Cottage
The Bismarckhäuschen in Göttingen is the last surviving tower of the outer medieval fortification ring of the city. It got its name because the later Reich Chancellor Otto von Bismarck lived here for about half a year during his studies in Göttingen. One of Göttingen's memorial plaques commemorates this time. The tower now houses a small museum in his memory.
13. Portal des ehemaligen Universitätsreitstalls
The University Riding Stable of the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen was a Baroque building complex built between 1734 and 1736 in the city centre of Göttingen and consisted of a riding hall with stables and an open-air riding arena. The building was the first completed new building for the university, founded in 1734 and ceremoniously inaugurated in 1737.
14. Königspfalz Grona
The Palatinate Grona was a royal palace in the area of today's city of Göttingen and one of the roots of today's Grone district, but is located in the neighboring part of Weststadt. It was first mentioned in 915 as Grona Castle, is the death of Emperor Heinrich II (1024) and was completely demolished by the Göttingen citizens in 1387.
15. Old Town Hall
The Old Town Hall in Göttingen was built from 1270 in several construction phases and was the seat of the council and administration of the city of Göttingen until 1978. It stands on the west side of the market square in the middle of the old town. Today it serves representative purposes, for events and exhibitions.
16. Wöhler Monument
Friedrich Wöhler FRS(For) HonFRSE was a German chemist known for his work in both organic and inorganic chemistry, being the first to isolate the chemical elements beryllium and yttrium in pure metallic form. He was the first to prepare several inorganic compounds, including silane and silicon nitride.
17. Richard Zsigmondy
Richard Adolf Zsigmondy was an Austrian-born chemist. He was known for his research in colloids, for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize in chemistry in 1925, as well as for co-inventing the slit-ultramicroscope, and different membrane filters. The crater Zsigmondy on the Moon is named in his honour.
The auditorium of Georg-Auguste University is a classical auditorium built in 1837 to celebrate the first centenary of Georg-Auguste University. It was commissioned by King William IV. Built by Neuer Markt of Great Britain and Hanover in Gottingen as a donor to the centennial celebration.
19. St. Michael's Church
St. Michael is the oldest Catholic church in Göttingen in Lower Saxony. It is located in the historic city center, is the parish church of the parish of Sankt Michael in the deanery of Göttingen of the diocese of Hildesheim and at the same time Catholic city church in Göttingen.
20. St. Nikolai
The St. Nikolai Church in the old town of Göttingen in Lower Saxony is a Gothic hall church with Romanesque origins. Since 1822 it has been owned as a university church by the Georg-August-Universität and is subordinate to the respective Dean of the Faculty of Theology.
21. St. Paul
St. Paulus is a neo-baroque Catholic parish church in Göttingen, Germany. It is located in the lower eastern quarter on Wilhelm-Weber-Straße. Its parish belongs to the Deanery of Göttingen of the Diocese of Hildesheim in Lower Saxony (Germany).
22. Schwarzer Bär
The black bear in Göttingen is a half-timbered house from the Renaissance period. The house name was first mentioned in 1592; The traditional restaurant Zum Schwarzen Bären has existed since 1637. The address in the old town is short street 12.
23. Adolf Windaus
Adolf Otto Reinhold Windaus was a German chemist who won a Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1928 for his work on sterols and their relation to vitamins. He was the doctoral advisor of Adolf Butenandt who also won a Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1939.
24. Gottfried August Bürger-Denkmal
Gottfried August Bürger was a German poet. His ballads were very popular in Germany. His most noted ballad, Lenore, found an audience beyond readers of the German language in an English and Russian adaptation and a French translation.
The Bismarck Stone in Göttingen is a Bismarck monument near the Klausberg. The memorial was built in honor of the former Reich Chancellor Otto von Bismarck and is popularly known as the elephant toilet because of its grotesque shape.
26. Saint John's Church
St. John's Church in the old town of Göttingen in Lower Saxony is a three-aisled Gothic hall church from the 14th century. With its towers visible from afar, it is one of the city's landmarks. Its patron saint is John the Baptist.
27. Bodenfelder Synagoge
The synagogue in Bodenfelde, a community in the district of Northeim in Lower Saxony, was located at Mühlenstraße 24 in Bodenfelde on a farm property and has been located at Angerstraße 14 in the city of Göttingen since 2008.
28. Kunsthaus Göttingen
The Kunsthaus Göttingen is an exhibition house for work on paper, photography and new media in the southern city center of Göttingen. The focus of the exhibition is on contemporary art with an international orientation.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.