Explore interesting sights in Görlitz, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 31 sights are available in Görlitz, Germany.Sightseeing Tours in Görlitz
1. Robert Oettel
The fountains, monuments and sculptures of the city of Görlitz are listed in the list. Görlitz is the district town of the district of Görlitz in the eastern Upper Lusatia. The list lists the publicly accessible fountain systems, monuments and sculptures in the entire urban area. Monuments and sculptures in the sense of the list are monuments in the narrower sense, i. H. Statues, still images, memorials and plaques that were built for certain persons or events as well as artistically designed figures and sculptures that are located in the publicly accessible space. The list therefore does not contain any buildings that are classified as a monument in the broader sense and their figure jewelry. Even tomb of individual personalities on Görlitz cemeteries are not listed in the list. Monuments that no longer exist are listed in a separate table. The further list of cultural monuments in Görlitz all officially classified as a cultural monument, objects worth protecting.
2. Cultural Centre Synagogue of Goerlitz
The Görlitz Synagogue in Görlitz, Germany was built between 1909 and 1911 in the Art Nouveau style and was the main place of worship for the city's Jewish community. Despite an arson attack, the synagogue was one of the few synagogues in the area to survive Kristallnacht, sustaining only minor damage. The damage could have been greater, but was lessened because the firefighters ignored the orders to let the synagogue burn. With the city's Jewish population depleted, the unused synagogue became a ruin in the following decades. In 1991, a restoration project began which was completed in December 2020. Owing to the COVID-19 pandemic, the opening ceremony was postponed until 2021. The synagogue duly opened on July 12, 2021. On September 12, 2022 a new Magen David was placed on top of the synagogue.
3. Biblisches Haus
The Biblical House is a town house in the old town of Görlitz. The house got its nickname because of its reliefs on the façade on the first and second floors. They depict scenes from the Old and New Testaments. It is located on the Neißstraße, the connection between Untermarkt and the Old Town Bridge over the Lusatian Neisse and, along with the Schönhof, is one of the most famous Renaissance buildings in the city. In its neighbouring building to the west – the baroque corner house at Neißstraße 30 – is the Görlitz Museum of Cultural History.
The Upper Market Square in Görlitz is the largest square in the historic part of the town. It was laid out in 1250 together with the Lower Market Square. Both are connected via the Bretheren Street (Brüderstraße). While the Lower Market is mostly bordered by Renaissance buildings, the Upper Market has many buildings from the Baroque and Wilhelminian periods. It is therefore the gateway to the historic part of the town. Important buildings on the market include Reichenbach Tower, Kaisertrutz and Holy Trinity Church (Dreifaltigkeitskirche).
The Church of the Holy Spirit is a church building built between 1905 and 1906 by the Old Lutheran parish in Görlitz, Upper Lusatia. Today, the congregation belongs to the church district of Lusatia in the Independent Evangelical Lutheran Church. The church is located on Sattigplatz at the junction of Zittauer Straße / An der Jakobuskirche. It is the parish church of the Old Lutheran parish of Görlitz and is a listed building. The parish office is located in the house Carl-von-Ossietzky-Straße 31.
6. Senckenberg Museum of Natural History Goerlitz
The Museum of Natural History in Görlitz, Germany is a natural history museum with focus on zoology, botany and geology. Since 2009, the museum has been part of the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung with headquarters in Frankfurt/Main. The main field of research is soil biology. In the years 2006 to 2017 the number of visitors was between 25,000 and 34,000, in the year of the 3rd Saxon State Exhibition 2011 it was even 47,000.
The rectangular Wilhelmsplatz in the southern city centre is the largest town square in Görlitz with an east-west extension of over 200 m and a north-south spread of around 100 m. The middle of the square is a large lawn framed by flower beds as planting bands. A row of hedges and trees separates the leafy square from the busy Jakobstraße in the west. Wilhelmsplatz is located between the city centre and Görlitz train station.
St. Anne's Chapel on Görlitz's Marienplatz was built between 1508 and 1511 by the council architect Albrecht Stieglitzer as a memorial chapel for the Görlitz merchant Hans Frenzel the Rich (1463–1526). It was dedicated to St. Anne, the patron saint of Frenceslas. Later it was used as an orphanage and penitentiary church. Today, the former chapel is used as a gymnasium and auditorium for the adjacent St. Anne's School.
9. Frauenturm (Dicker Turm)
The Thick Tower erected in 1250 is part of the historic fortification of Görlitz. The 46-metre (151 ft) tall tower is the most massive tower in the city. Its walls in the lower part reach a thickness of 5.34 metres (17.5 ft), thus the name of a thick tower. Apart from it, the Nikolai Tower and the Reichenbach Tower are still preserved. In total, Görlitz had four large watchtowers and defense towers.
The town hall of the city of Görlitz has been a place of municipal administration, power and jurisdiction since about 1350; in 1369 it is documented for the first time as a town hall by a document of the Görlitz Council. Its magnificent interior dates back to the Renaissance period. It consists of several contiguous buildings at Untermarkt 6–8 and is now the seat of several offices.
11. Girl with the Shell
The Muschelminna, also known as the TOberentzbrunnen, according to its architect Robert Toberentz, is a fountain built in 1887 on the postplace in the city of Görlitz. The name emerged from the vernacular, which described the bronze statue standing on the marble base. The statue was melted down during the Second World War. A reproduction on the fountain has been faithful since 1994.
12. Stadthalle Görlitz
The Stadthalle is a concert hall in Görlitz, Germany. From its opening in 1910 until its closure in 2005, the building has been used for numerous different cultural events, including concerts, sporting events and trade fairs. A planned renovation was abandoned in 2012. The Förderverein Stadthalle Görlitz e.V. is committed to the preservation of the cultural monument.
The Church of Hoffungen is an Protestant church building in Görlitz-Königshaufen. It was rebuilt in 1998 as a reconstruction of the village church of German-ossig with the original ceiling paintings and the baroque interior. The parish belongs to the Silesian district of Silesian Upper Lusatia of the Evangelical Church in Berlin-Brandenburg-Silesian Upper Lusatia.
The Joliot-Curie Gymnasium is a general secondary school leading to higher education. The school, which emerged from the Luisenschule, is located on the north side of Wilhelmsplatz in the East Saxon town of Görlitz. It is one of two grammar schools in the city and is run by them. The Gymnasium offers the natural and social science profiles.
The Hallenhaus Untermarkt 5 is a protected cultural monument located opposite the town hall on the Untermarkt in Görlitz. Built in the 15th century, the Frenzelhof is one of the oldest hall houses in Görlitz. For the construction phase around 1500, there are a number of historical references that are associated with the name Hans Frenzel.
The Brüderstraße in Görlitz is part of the historic city centre and has numerous buildings from the Renaissance. It connects the Görlitz Obermarkt with the Untermarkt and is part of the Via regia. It is named after the Franciscan friars, to whose former monastery on the Obermarkt the Brüdergasse led.
The Trinity Church is a Protestant church in Görlitz, Germany. It was built between 1234 and 1245 as the monastery church of the Franciscan monastery on today's Obermarkt. In 1564 the monastery was converted into a grammar school, the church served as a school church and since 1712 as a parochial church.
18. Church of Our Lady
The Frauenkirche is a three -aisled hall church in the late Gothic style. The church was once at the gates of the city of Görlitz. However, it is now in the middle of the center and shapes the image of the city center. In autumn 1989 she was the starting point of the prayers of peace in the city.
19. Kathedrale St. Jakobus
The cathedral of St. Jakobus in Görlitz, Germany, is the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Görlitz, dedicated to St. James. It was built in neo-Gothic style and consecrated in 1900 as a parish church. It became a cathedral in 1994, due to the reorganisation of East German dioceses.
The Obermühle was one of the three large grain mills of the city of Görlitz on the Lausitzer Neisse. The mill was discontinued in 1994, but parts of the buildings are still used as a restaurant and pension. In the Obermühle there is the easternmost beer brewery in Germany.
21. Schlesisches Museum
The Silesian Museum in Görlitz was opened on 13 May 2006 in an architecturally newly composed complex that combines four historic buildings: the Schönhof, the Mittelhaus, the building at the fish market, both of which date back to 1832, and the Hallenhaus at Untermarkt 4.
The Kreuzkirche is an evangelical church building from the beginning of the 20th century on the edge of the Görlitz Südstadt between the Arndt and Reuterstrasse. The architect of the modern church building built between 1913 and 1919 was the Dresden Rudolf Bitzan.
23. Ameißsches Haus
The baroque house at Neißstraße 30 is an important commercial and residential building of the Baroque period in Görlitz, which has been used as part of the city's Cultural History Museum since 1951. It is located in the middle of the old town at Neißstraße 30.
24. Brauner Hirsch
The Brauner Hirsch is a baroque town house in the town of Görlitz in Upper Lusatia. The corner house is located on the eastern side of the Untermarkt and on Neißstraße, which continues in the direction of the Old Town Bridge over the Lusatian Neisse.
25. Bahnhof Görlitz
Görlitz station is the central station of the city of Görlitz in the German state of Saxony. Of the original twelve station tracks only six are still in operation. Görlitz is also served by stations in Rauschwalde, Weinhübel and Hagenwerder.
28. Reichenbach Tower
The Reichenbach Tower probably built in the 13th century and first mentioned in 1376 is the western part of the historic fortification of Görlitz. With a height of 51m it is the tallest of the three fortified towers in Görlitz..
The Bridal meadow square is the central square in the western city centre of Görlitz in Saxony. The circular square with a lawn rondell in the middle was built in 1899 as Germany's first roundabout; six streets exit radially.
30. Görlitzer Warenhaus
The Görlitz department store, also known as Zum Strauss and Görlitz department store, is a listed building in Görlitz, Germany, which was built in the style of historicism and decorated with elements of Art Nouveau.
The Christuskirche is a Protestant church building in the Görlitz district of Rauschwalde. The church was built at the end of the 1930s and is located to the southwest, slightly set back on Diesterwegplatz.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.