Explore interesting sights in Freising, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 23 sights are available in Freising, Germany.Sightseeing Tours in Freising
1. Douglas DC-3
The Douglas DC-3 is a propeller-driven airliner manufactured by Douglas Aircraft Company, which had a lasting effect on the airline industry in the 1930s to 1940s and World War II. It was developed as a larger, improved 14-bed sleeper version of the Douglas DC-2. It is a low-wing metal monoplane with conventional landing gear, powered by two radial piston engines of 1,000–1,200 hp (750–890 kW). Although the DC-3s originally built for civil service had the Wright R-1820 Cyclone, later civilian DC-3s used the Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp engine. The DC-3 has a cruising speed of 207 mph (333 km/h), a capacity of 21 to 32 passengers or 6,000 lbs (2,700 kg) of cargo, and a range of 1,500 mi (2,400 km), and can operate from short runways.
2. Pallotti-Kirche St. Johannes
The Pallottine Church of St. John the Baptist is a modern church building in the northern part of Freising (Upper Bavaria). It was built between 1928 and 1930 together with an elongated missionary seminary according to plans by the Darmstadt architect Jan Hubert Pinand. With the complex, Pinand created one of the most important buildings of ecclesiastical expressionism in Old Bavaria. All sculptures and reliefs of the church are the work of the Munich sculptor Karl Baur and date from the period from 1930 to about 1955.
3. Denkmal für Freisinger Gelehrte
The Monument to Freising Scholars is a small, approximately two-metre-high memorial stone on the western Cathedral Hill in Freising (Upper Bavaria). It was built in the middle of the 19th century below the prince-bishop's residence in the form of a Gothic pinnacle. The monument commemorates the three Freising scholars Veit Arnpeck, Rupprecht von Freising and Joachim Haberstock. The creators are considered to be the Freising stonemasons Einsele, whose signum is located at the foot of the monument.
4. Filialkirche Sankt Ulrich
The Filial Church of St. Ulrich is the church of the Freising district of Hohenbachern. It belongs to the parish of St. Jakob in Vötting. According to the chronicle of Karl Meichelbeck, the first church in Hohenbachern was consecrated in 759 by Bishop Joseph of Verona. A church was also mentioned in later years. In 826 there is mention of a "basilica ad Pacharom", in 1305 of "Hohenpacharn", in 1449 of "Großpachern". From 1157 the church was subordinate to the nearby monastery of Weihenstephan.
5. Diözesanmuseum für christliche Kunst
The Diocesan Museum Freising - Dimu on the Domberg in Freising is the museum of the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising. The collection contains works from the early 5th century to contemporary modern art. After the Vatican Museums, it houses the world's second largest art collection in the Catholic Church. Individual priorities of the inventory lie in the art of Byzantium, late Gothic, baroque, the present, and evidence of piety - including an extensive crib collection.
6. Lockheed L-1049
The Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation is an American aircraft, a member of the Lockheed Constellation aircraft line. The L-1049 was Lockheed's response to the successful Douglas DC-6 airliner, first flying in 1950. The aircraft was also produced for both the United States Navy as the WV / R7V and U.S. Air Force as the C-121 for transport, electronics, and airborne early warning and control aircraft.
7. St. Michael
St. Michael is the Catholic church of the Freising district of Tüntenhausen. Since 1 October 2014, the curacy of Tüntenhausen has been part of the Neustift parish association, which includes Tüntenhausen, Haindlfing, Marzling and St. Peter and Paul in Freising-Neustift. The former pilgrimage church is a protected monument and is listed in the list of architectural monuments in Freising.
The Chapel of St. Korbinian or Asam Chapel was a chapel on the southern slope of the Weihenstephaner Berg in Freising, which stood above a spring, the Korbiniansbrünnlein. The ruins have been preserved and can be reached via the footpaths of the southern slope of Weihenstephan. For a few years now, there has also been a staircase again, from the Hofgarten down to the Korbiniansbrünnlein.
The column of Mary is a red marble column crowned by a figure of Mary in the middle of the Marienplatz, in the central place of the Old Town of Freising. The column is one of the most striking monuments in the historic old town. She was donated to Patrona Bavariae by Prince Bishop Albrecht Sigismund in 1674. The Mariensäule was probably used as a model at Marienplatz in Munich.
The Sichtungsgarten Weihenstephan is a 7 ha garden maintained by the Fachhochschule Weihenstephan. It is located at Am Staudengarten 9, Weihenstephan, Freising, Bavaria, Germany, and is open daily from April to October. Admission is free. Along with several other gardens located at Weihenstephan, the Sichtungsgarten is part of the Weihenstephaner Gärten.
The Königsstein is a stone pillar about four meters high on the banks of the Moosach in Freising. The monument was created by the sculptor Josef Kirchmayr and erected on the occasion of the celebrations of the 25th reign of the Bavarian King Maximilian Joseph on 16 February 1824. Until 1853 it was located near the Hospital of the Holy Spirit.
12. Korbinian- und Nonnosushof
The Collegiate Pen St. Andreas was a collegiate pen on the Domberg in Freising (Domannex pen). The buildings of the congregation were located on the western part of the Domberg, west of the Prince-Bishopric residence. The church was the second largest church in Freising after the cathedral; eight parishes with 30 branches belonged to the pen.
The Andreasbrunnen is a fountain on the western Domberg in Freising (Upper Bavaria). It was built in 1697 under Prince -Bishop Johann Franz Eckher von Kapfing and Liechteneck in front of the Andreaskirche in the style of the Baroque. The apostle sculpture comes from the workshop of the Munich sculptor Franz Ablährner.
The earth's sign at Munich Airport is an earth sculpture by the painter Wilhelm Holderied and the sculptor Karl Schlamminger. The work of art is also called an island for the time. According to Holderieds, it should be a symbol for the time sequences determined by the "primal force of the earth".
15. Freisinger Dom
Freising Cathedral, also called Saint Mary and Corbinian Cathedral, is a romanesque basilica in Freising, Bavaria. It is the co-cathedral of the Catholic Archdiocese of Munich and Freising. Freising Cathedral is also known for being the place where Pope Benedict XVI was ordained a priest.
16. ehem. Korbinianskapelle
Weihenstephan Abbey was a Benedictine monastery in Weihenstephan, now part of the district of Freising, in Bavaria, Germany. Brauerei Weihenstephan, located at the monastery site since at least 1040, is said to be the world's oldest continuously operating brewery.
17. St. Benedikt
The Church of Benediktus is a Catholic church in the Domberg in Freising. The church is located east of the cathedral and is accessible through the cloister of the back part of the Benediktus Church. The church is separated from the cloister only by iron gratings.
18. Moor Fountain
The Mohrenbrunnen is a fountain in Freising, Upper Bavaria, Germany. It was created around 1700 by the Munich sculptor Franz Ableithner in the Baroque style. It was commissioned by the Prince-Bishop of Freising, Johann Franz Eckher von Kapfing und Liechteneck.
19. St. Peter und Paul
The Filial Church of St. Peter and Paul is the Roman Catholic village church of Achering, a district of the large district town of Freising in Upper Bavaria. It is also a protected monument and is registered in the list of architectural monuments in Freising.
The Marstall on the Domberg in Freising was built as a court stable for the Prince-Bishops of the High People of Freising. Today, the building houses full-day care of the neighbouring Catholic High School, the Catholic Church's Eastern Europe relief agency.
21. Sankt Valentin
The St. Valentin branch church is the Catholic Church of Altenhausen near Freising. It is consecrated to the Holy Valentin of Rätien. It was rebuilt in 1717, the tower is Gothic. The church has been part of the parish of Marzling since 1954.
22. Denkmal für Otto von Freising
The monument to Otto von Freising is a stone sculpture on the cathedral hill of Freising (Upper Bavaria). It commemorates the 22nd Bishop of Freising (1138–1158), who is considered one of the most important historians of the Middle Ages.
23. Cross on Domberg
The Crucifix on the Cathedral Hill is a Latin wooden cross about four meters high on the Cathedral Hill in Freising (Upper Bavaria). It was built in 1867 in front of the entrance to the cathedral courtyard.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.