Explore interesting sights in Essen, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 78 sights are available in Essen, Germany.Sightseeing Tours in Essen
The trombone angels or Geusen-Daniel are called the trombone angels in the diaspora of the former Duchy of Jülich on the Lower Rhine. The trombone angels on the roof riders and towers of Protestant churches in this area serve as a weather flag. The often hidden small churches also served as the houses fled from the Netherlands, which joined the hidden Protestant, as churches of God. Her name then passed to the Jülich Protestante. The Geusendaniel was probably a fashion phenomenon at the time when these churches were allowed to attach a bell-roof ladder or church tower to or on their churches and houses of prayer for the first time. Especially after World War II, the Geusenegel became a symbol of the Protestant Christians on the Lower Rhine. Examples can be found in Goch, in Geldern (Holy Spirit Church) or in the Market Church Kettwig.
The hall building is a concert hall in the Südviertel in Essen and today the seat of the Philharmonie Essen with affiliated catering and event areas. The building is located in a central downtown location on the edge of the city garden and near the Aalto Theater. Tomáš Netopil has been General Music Director of the Essen Philharmonic and thus successor to Stefan Soltesz since the 2013/2014 until 2022/2023. For him, Andrea Sanguineti took over the role of the GMD during the season. In the successor of Johannes Bultmann, Hein Mulders started the directorate at the beginning of the 2013/14 season. Marie-Babette Nierenz has been the designated director of the Philharmonie since the 2023/2024 season.
3. Eisenbahnmuseum Bochum-Dahlhausen
The Eisenbahnmuseum Bochum-Dahlhausen is a railway museum situated south of the city of Bochum in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It was founded by DGEG, the German Railway History Company in 1977 and is based in a locomotive depot that was built between 1916 and 1918 and ceased operation in 1969. Then DGEG took over the whole area of 46,000 square metres and built up the biggest railway museum in Germany. In the middle of the museum, there is an engine shed with fourteen tracks. A preserved turntable, coaling, watering, and sanding facilities are still in operation. This museum is integrated into The Industrial Heritage Trail a route of monuments from the history of the industry.
4. Denkmal F.A. Krupp
Friedrich Alfred Krupp was a German steel manufacturer and head of the company Krupp. He was the son of Alfred Krupp and inherited the family business when his father died in 1887. Whereas his father had largely supplied iron and steel, Friedrich shifted his company's production back to arms manufacturing. Friedrich greatly expanded Krupp and acquired the Germaniawerft in 1896 which gave him control of warship manufacturing in Germany. He oversaw the development of nickel steel, U-boats, the diesel engine, and much more. He died, possibly by suicide, in 1902 after being accused of homosexuality. His daughter Bertha inherited the company.
5. Zollverein Coal Mine Industrial Complex
The Zollverein Coal Mine Industrial Complex is a large former industrial site in the city of Essen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. The first coal mine on the premises was founded in 1847, and mining activities took place from 1851 until December 23, 1986. For decades, starting in the late 1950s, the two parts of the site, Zollverein Coal Mine and Zollverein Coking Plant, ranked among the largest of their kinds in Europe. Shaft 12, built in the New Objectivity style, was opened in 1932 and is considered an architectural and technical masterpiece, earning it a reputation as the "most beautiful coal mine in the world".
6. Auffliegender Schwan
In the Grugapark of the city of Essen, 44 sculptures and works of art are currently being distributed on the free terrain. They range from classical modernism to contemporary art and can be visited on guided tours, among other things. Most of the time, they are mostly permanent loans from private individuals, companies, foundations, museums or artists whose works are presented in the protected area. It is the largest sculpture park in the Ruhr area. The Grugapark collection also includes three works of art that are outside the park in the Skulpture Ensemble Moltkeplatz and come from the donation of Roger Schimanski.
7. Altenhof II
The Altenhof settlement consists of the two construction phases of the Altenhof I settlement, which was built between 1893 and 1907, and the Altenhof II settlement from 1907 to 1914. Altenhof I is located in the Essen district of Rüttenscheid, Altenhof II in Stadtwald. Both were built by Friedrich Krupp AG for their former employees. At that time it was a revolutionary social commitment that old, disability and single people were allowed to live here. Today, the still existing parts of the Altenhof settlement are a testimony of historical settlement development and thus belong to the route of industrial culture.
8. St. Ludgerus
The St. Ludgerus Church in Essen-Werden is considered one of the most important late Romanesque church buildings in the Rhineland. It was built at the beginning of the 9th century as the abbey church of the Benedictine monastery of Werden and was redesigned in the 13th century in the Rhenish transitional style. Outside the actual church building is the crypt with the shrine of St. Ludgerus. Since the abbey was abolished, St. Ludgerus' Basilica has been a Catholic parish church. Since 1993 it has held the title of Basilica minor.
9. Insel Werden 1984 - Heute
Maria Nordman is a German-American sculptor and conceptual artist. She is known for creating the contexts of FILM ROOMS starting in 1967: FILM ROOM EAT 1967-PRESENT and FILM ROOM EXHALE 1967- PRESENT. These two works are the fulcrum of other works that follow, of other works that follow, enabling new considerations of rooms as sculpture. Her works in film, still photography, and sculpture variously connect to writing, musical projects, architecture, public space, and performance.
The Essen Cathedral Treasury is one of the most significant collections of religious artworks in Germany. A great number of items of treasure are accessible to the public in the treasury chamber of Essen Minster. The cathedral chapter manages the treasury chamber, not as a museum as in some places, but as the place in which liturgical implements and objects are kept, which continued to be used to this day in the service of God, so far as their conservation requirements allow.
11. Ehemaliges Verwaltungsgebäude Zeche Graf Beust
The Graf Beust colliery was a coal mine in the eastern quarter of the city of Essen. It was named after the Rhenish mining captain Ernst August Graf von Beust. The Graf Beust colliery was one of the founding members of the Rhenish-Westphalian Coal Syndicate (RWKS). In the second half of the 19th century, it was one of the most important mines in the western part of the Ruhr area, which belonged to the Prussian Rhine Province, and was one of the first marl mines in this area.
12. Friedenskirche Steele
The Protestant Church of Peace in the eastern part of Essen is a neo-Gothic, three-nave church building, which has been under monument protection since 1989. The church was built in 1872 according to plans by the architect Julius Flügge, which had become too small, on the same ground as the successor of a predecessor church, and is today a church of the Evangelical Church of Königssteele, which belongs to the church of the Evangelical Church in the Rhineland.
The Viktoria-Gymnasium is a general secondary school near the city center of Essen in the district of Südostviertel. The school building on Kurfürstenplatz, which was inaugurated in 1914, and the director's residence are now on the list of monuments of the city of Essen. At the end of the 2019/20 school year, the Viktoria-Gymnasium was merged into the Burggymnasium Essen. The approximately 350 pupils are taught by around 35 teachers.
The Aalto Theatre (Aalto-Theater) is a performing arts venue in Essen, Germany, and is home to the city's opera company Aalto-Musiktheater and the ballet company Aalto Ballett. The Essener Philharmoniker serve as the venue's orchestra. The theatre opened on 25 September 1988 with Richard Wagner's opera Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg and is mainly used for opera and ballet, but also for concerts and galas.
The Halbachhammer in the Essen district of Fulerum is the recreated remnant of the medieval Fickynhütte from Weidenau an der Sieg. Gustav Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach had it moved to the Nightingale Valley within sight of the Margarethenhöhe and donated it to the city. Today, the Halbachhammer is a technical and economic monument, a branch of the Ruhr Museum and part of the Route of Industrial Heritage.
St. John's Church is a Protestant church in the Bergerhausen district of Essen, Germany, which belongs to the Evangelical Parish of Bergerhausen in the Essen church district of the Evangelical Church in the Rhineland. It was inaugurated in 1985 and replaces the older St. John's Church, which had been built from 1954 to 1955. The free-standing church tower of the first church building is still preserved.
17. Villa Hügel
The Villa Hügel is a 19th-century mansion in Bredeney, now part of Essen, Germany. It was built by the industrialist Alfred Krupp in 1870–1873 as his main residence and was the home of the Krupp family until after World War II. More recently, the Villa Hügel has housed the offices of the Kulturstiftung Ruhr, an art gallery, the historical archive of the Krupp family and company, and a concert venue.
18. Salomon Ludwig Steinheim-Institut für deutsch-jüdische Geschichte an der Universität Duisburg-Essen
The Old Synagogue in Essen is one of the largest, best preserved and architecturally most impressive testimonies to Jewish culture in pre-war Germany. Built in the centre of the city, the Byzantine style former Synagogue was originally consecrated as the Neue Synagoge in 1913; it now houses an institution dedicated to documenting and promoting the history of the city's former Jewish community.
19. St. Mariä Geburt
Sankt Mariä Birth is a Roman Catholic church building in the district of Copferdreh in Essen, Germany. It was built in the style of Neo-Gothic from 1876 to 1879 from light brown Ruhrsandstein. The reason for the construction of the church was the greatly increased number of faithful in Dilldorf. The house of God is on Dilldorfer Straße and is consecrated to Mary the mother of Jesus.
The Vryburg is a medieval ring wall system that is significant for the early medieval settlement in the Ruhr Valley. The current desert of the facility is located in the eastern Essen district of Horst on a hill north of the Ruhr in the immediate vicinity of the Horst house. It may have been the forerunner building of this manor. However, the assumption has not yet been proven.
The Schurenbachhalde is an approximately 50-metre-high tailings heap of coal mining in the Altenessen district of Essen, Germany. The slag heap is named after the "Schurenbach" body of water, which was buried under it from the 1970s onwards, and is located directly on the Rhine-Herne Canal, between Emscherstraße and Nordsternstraße and near the Nordsternpark Gelsenkirchen.
22. Stratmanns Theater
The America Haus Ruhr, called the Europahaus since 1994, has been a building in the city center of Essen since 1991. It was built in the early 1950s as an American house and the first main base of their information network in selected major cities. After the house later served 15 years as the seat of the mayor, the STRATMANNS theater cabaret has been located since 1994.
23. St. Kamillus
The St. Kamillus church built by Camillians was built from 1900 to 1901 and is in the Heidhausen district of Essen. She borders directly on the Kamillushaus, an addiction clinic. Originally a monastery church, it served as the parish church of St. Kamillus as the parish church until 2008 and has since been the parish church of the Propstiepfarrei St. Ludgerus.
24. St. Barbara (Byfang)
St. Barbara's Church is a Roman Catholic church building in the Byfang district of Essen, Germany. The church, named after St. Barbara of Nicomedia, patron saint of miners, belongs to the parish of St. Josef Essen Ruhr Peninsula in the Essen city deanery of the diocese of Essen. The church stands in a slightly elevated position on the Nöckersberger Sattel.
25. St. Johann Baptist (Essen)
The Catholic parish church of St. Johann Baptist is a Gothic hall church in Essen, dedicated to John the Baptist, which stands on Kettwiger Straße, the main street of Essen, in front of Essen Minster, to which it is connected. On account of its position and the fact that its spire towers over the Minster, visitors often mistake it for part of the Minster.
The Zionskirche is a Protestant church in the Essen district of Horst at Dahlhauser Straße 161. It was built from 1957 to 1958 in the style of post-war modernity and today belongs to the parish of the Freisenbruch-Horst-Eiberg in the Essen church district of the Evangelical Church in the Rhineland. On November 21, 2019, she was under monument protection.
27. Grabmal Brünglinghaus
The old Huttrop cemetery was created in 1878 as the municipal cemetery in today's Essen district of Huttrop. At that time, Huttrop was part of the Stoppenberg mayor, with Huttrop being incorporated into the city of Essen in 1908. In 1991, a park was created from the burial site, in which several tombs have been preserved, which are largely listed today.
28. Villa Vogelsang
Villa Vogelsang is a villa on the Ruhr heights in the Horst district of Essen on Antonienallee. The name goes back to one of the former owners, the entrepreneur Wilhelm Vogelsang. On the park -like property there is also a former coache in the immediate vicinity of the villa. Villa and coache are listed and are part of the route of industrial culture.
29. Schloss Borbeck
Borbeck Castle is a baroque water lock in the Borbeck district of Essen. Since the 14th century it has been the preferred residence of the Essen prince -thousands of Essen and received its current external form in the 18th century. Since the 1980s it has been used as an event location for further training opportunities and cultural events.
Tux is a penguin character and the official brand character of the Linux kernel. Originally created as an entry to a Linux logo competition, Tux is the most commonly used icon for Linux, although different Linux distributions depict Tux in various styles. The character is used in many other Linux programs and as a general symbol of Linux.
The Essen market church, until the end of the 19th century, is located in the city center of Essen on the market, the original Essen market square, which was once an economic, political and religious center of the city. The Romanesque, part -time reconstruction of late Gothic indoor church, was the first Protestant church of Essen.
32. Christuskirche Kupferdreh
The Christuskirche in Kupferdreh is a Protestant church in the Kupferdreh district of Essen, Germany. It was built in brick masonry in 1877–1879 and 1893–1894 and has been a listed building since 1989. It belongs to the Evangelical Parish of Kupferdreh in the Essen church district of the Evangelical Church in the Rhineland.
33. Gnadenkirche Dellwig
The Evangelical Church of Grace in Essen-Dellwig belongs to the parish of Dellwig-Frintrop-Gerschede in the church district of Essen of the Evangelical Church in the Rhineland. It was inaugurated in 1894, enlarged in 1929 and rebuilt after damage during the Second World War. The church has been a listed building since 1994.
Krupp-Park is a park under construction in the western quarter of the city of Essen, Germany. It was created as part of the Krupp-Gürtel urban development project and is located here in a north-south extension parallel west of the Berthold-Beitz-Boulevard. In the southern part of the park there is a sports facility.
35. Burgruine Vittinghoff
Haus Vittinghoff is a defunct moth on Vittinghoffstraße in Essen's Stadtwald district. It is the ancestral seat of the noble Vietinghoff family, which in its Westphalian line bore the title Freiherr von Vittinghoff called Schell zu Schellenberg, but in the Baltic line calls itself Freiherr von Vietinghoff-Scheel.
The Friedenskirche is located on Bernestraße near the Old Synagogue and the Town Hall in the city center of Essen. The Old Catholic church, which is a listed building, was built between 1914 and 1916. Its creation in the midst of the horrors of the First World War makes the naming easy to understand.
37. Evangelische Kirche Katernberg
The Evangelical Church Katernberg is a church building in the northern district of Katernberg in Essen, Germany. The largest Protestant church in Essen, which belongs to the Evangelical parish of Katernberg in the Essen church district of the Evangelical Church in the Rhineland, is a listed building.
Altendorf is a northwestern borough of the city of Essen, Germany. It was incorporated into the city on 1 August 1901. Previously, it had been part of the Bürgermeisterei Altendorf, which existed since 1874. Altendorf consisted of two parts, Oberdorf and Unterdorf. Around 23.000 people live here.
39. Pestalozzidorf Im Grund
The Pestalozzidorf “Basically” is a residential settlement for young people, built in the Katernberg district of Essen in accordance with the principles of pedagogue Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi – adapted to the needs of mining. It is located between the Colony Zollverein III and Dortmannhof.
The Alteburg is the largest and oldest castle complex in Essen, a Carolingian ring wall south of Essen-Werden on the left bank of the Ruhr in North Rhine-Westphalia. A few hundred metres further north, on the Pastoratsberg, there was a similar complex in the 9th to 11th centuries, the Herrenburg.
41. Wasserturm am Steeler Berg
The water tower on Steeler Berg is located on Diether-Krebs-Platz in the southeastern quarter of the city of Essen. In 1985 it was included in the list of monuments of the city of Essen. It still has its function as a water tower today. In addition, it is now the seat of the Essen food bank.
42. Museum Folkwang, Altbau
Museum Folkwang is a major collection of 19th- and 20th-century art in Essen, Germany. The museum was established in 1922 by merging the Essener Kunstmuseum, which was founded in 1906, and the private Folkwang Museum of the collector and patron Karl Ernst Osthaus in Hagen, founded in 1902.
43. Marktkirche Kettwig
The Evangelical Market Church is a listed church building in Kettwig, a district of Essen, Germany. The name Kirche am Markt has prevailed because it allows a precise geographical classification in Kettwig and at the same time excludes confusion with the market church in Essen-Stadtmitte.
44. Domkirche Ss. Cosmas und Damian
Essen Minster, since 1958 also Essen Cathedral is the seat of the Roman Catholic Bishop of Essen, the "Diocese of the Ruhr", founded in 1958. The church, dedicated to Saints Cosmas and Damian and the Blessed Virgin Mary, stands on the Burgplatz in the centre of the city of Essen, Germany.
The Glückaufhaus is an office building built in 1922/1923 in Essen's southern quarter at Friedrichstraße 1, whose façade has been a listed building since 1988. It was built according to the plans of the architect and head of the municipal building department Ernst Bode (1878–1944).
46. Reiterdenkmal, Kaiser Wilhelm I.
The Kaiser Wilhelm monument in the city center of Essen is a equestrian stand that Kaiser Wilhelm I represents. As one of numerous Kaiser Wilhelm monuments built during the German Empire, this Wilhelm I also glorifies as its founder and as the winner over the second empire (France).
In the 1950s, the Dubois Arena was a boxing arena in the Borbeck district of Essen, Germany. It is now used for open-air cultural events. The arena bears the name of the founder and first president of the Federation of German Professional Boxers (BDB), Ernst Dubois (1900–1957).
48. Mar Addai und Mar Mari
The church of St. Albertus Magnus in the Essen district of Katernberg was built from 1983 to 1986 as a Roman Catholic (Latin) church and abandoned in 2008. In 2009–2020 it served as the church of Mar Addai and Mar Mari of the Chaldean Catholic local community of the same name.
The Gervinuspark park is located in today's Frohnhausen district of Essen. Until 1959, this area of Essen was Westfriedhof. The tomb of the first and only mayor of the Altendorf Mayor, the then largest rural community of Prussia, Wilhelm Kerckhoff, is still available today.
The Walter-Hohmann starry in the Essen district of Schuir is a Volkssternwarte operated by a non-profit association that also participates in planetoid research. It was named to commemorate the space pioneer Walter Hohmann. The observatory is at 120 m above sea level. Nn.
The Ruhrkampferämmal is a monument in the Essen district of Horst in 1934 in the time of National Socialism. It is located in a forest directly above the north bank of the Ruhr about 100 meters southeast of Haus Horst. In 1985 it was rededicated to a memorial.
52. Schloß Schellenberg
Schellenberg Castle is a well preserved castle on a wooded hill of the Ruhrhöhn in the Rellinghausen district of Essen, North Rhine-Westphalia. It was the property of the Freiherren von Vittinghoff, called Schell zu Schellenberg, and was domiciled until 1909.
53. Christuskirche Altendorf
The Christuskirche in Essen belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran parish of Essen-Altendorf in the church district of Essen of the Evangelical Church in the Rhineland and is located in the Essen district of Altendorf in the west of the city on Kopernikusstraße.
54. Ruhr Museum
55. Trip Inn
The Church of the Cross in Essen city is an Protestant church built in 1894 and 1896 according to the plans of the architect August Orth. After severe damage during World War II, it was rebuilt until 1953 and is now under monument protection.
58. Krupp Stammhaus
The Krupp parent company was initially a sloped half -timbered building built as a supervisor in 1818/1819, and later residence of the Essen industrial family Krupp. After war destruction, it was reconstructed true to the original in 1961.
59. Stadtgarten Essen
The Stadtgarten Essen is Essen's oldest publicly accessible green area. It is located south of Essen Central Station in the Südviertel district, between the Aalto Theater, the Philharmonie and the neighbouring Rüttenscheid district.
61. Burg Luttelnau (Kattenturm)
62. Haus Horst
The Krupp steelworks, or Krupp foundry, or Krupp cast steel factory in Essen is a historic industrial site of the Ruhr area of North Rhine-Westphalia in western Germany that was known as the "weapons forge of the German Reich".
67. Steeler Wasserturm
The Essen-Steele water tower at Laurentiusweg 83 in Essen's Steele district was built in 1898 on the highest geographical point in Steele and drew its water from the Steeler waterworks on Westfalenstraße directly on the Ruhr.
68. Ehemaliges Press- und Hammerwerk Ost
The Press- und Hammerwerk Ost was part of the Krupp cast steel factory. Since 1992, the now redesigned, listed workshop in the western quarter of the city of Essen has served as a multi-storey car park for a furniture store.
69. Amtsgericht Steele
The Essen-Steele district court, based in the Steele district of Essen, is responsible for the districts of Burgaltendorf, Byfang, Freisenbruch, Horst, Kray, Kupferdreh, Leithe, Steele, Seberuhr-Findle and Sühr-Holthausen.
70. Gruft Vietinghoff-Schell
Vietinghoff is the name of a Westphalian noble family of the County of Mark with a defunct ancestral house of Vittinghoff Castle near Essen-Rellinghausen, which also branched out into the Baltic States in the Middle Ages.
71. Jugendhalle Schonnebeck
The Schonnebeck Youth Hall is a gym and festival hall in Essen's Schonnebeck district, which was first used as exhibition buildings in Cologne in 1914, and was then reused in Essen and is now under monument protection.
72. Evangelische Kirche Heckstraße
The Korte cliff is a viewpoint on Lake Baldeney. It is located in the Schellenberger Wald near the Heisingen district of Essen. It is named after the Essen Horticultural Director Rudolf Korte (1878–1950).
74. Klusenkapelle St. Aegidius
The St. Agidius Klouse chapel is a small church building in the Bredeney district of Essen. The namesake of the chapel is Aegidius. The Kotten Klusemann and other buildings belong to the building ensemble.
75. Die unendliche Geschichte
The Neverending Story is a fantasy novel by German writer Michael Ende, published in 1979. The first English translation, by Ralph Manheim, was published in 1983. It was later adapted into a film series.
76. Gerhard Meyer-Schwickerath
Gerhard Rudolph Edmund Meyer-Schwickerath was a German ophthalmologist, university lecturer and researcher. He is known as the father of light coagulation which was the predecessor to many eye surgeries.
77. Heilig Geist
The Roman Catholic Holy Spirit Church in the Essen district of Katernberg is a branch church of the parish of St. Nikolaus. It was consecrated in 1957 and has been a listed building since February 2019.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.