53 Sights in Erfurt, Germany (with Map and Images)
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Erfurt:Tickets and guided tours on Civitatis*
Explore interesting sights in Erfurt, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 53 sights are available in Erfurt, Germany.List of cities in Germany Sightseeing Tours in Erfurt
The Augustinian Monastery in Erfurt is a former monastery of the Augustinian hermits built from 1277, where Martin Luther lived as a monk between 1505 and 1511. After the Reformation, the monastery became the property of the Evangelical Church in 1525; In 1559 it was secularized by the city of Erfurt. In 1945, parts of the monastery were destroyed in an air raid, but were soon rebuilt to such an extent that the complex could be put to a new use, it became an official Luther memorial and parts served as a preacher school. After the fall of the Berlin Wall, around 1994, the Augustinian monastery became the seat of the Erfurt-Nordhausen provostship. The building is mainly used as a conference and meeting centre. The monastery has been extensively restored and modernized since 2000. It is a recognized cultural monument according to the Thuringian Monument Protection Act.
2. Thüringer Grenzstein-Lapidarium
The LaPidarium Willrode is a collection of historical border and district stones on the site of the Willroda forest house near the Thuringian state capital Erfurt. An exhibition of Thuringian border stones is set up on the western court side of the property. The exhibitor is the State Association of Thuringia of the DVW - Society for Geodesy, Geoinformation and Land Management (DVW). There are currently about thirteen border and district stones with well-labeled explanatory boards. The collection presents dismissals of the external borders of historical territorial areas. Initials at the head of the stones or their coat of arms indicate the respective rule. For example, "KP" stands for the Kingdom of Prussia, while "HG" indicates the Duchy (Saxony-) Gotha. Further district stones show the initials of the district or the continuous numbering.
The Erthal Obelisk is an 18-metre-high obelisk on Erfurt's Cathedral Square. It was built around 1777 on the occasion of the first visit of the Archbishop of Mainz and Erfurt city lord Friedrich Karl Joseph von Erthal, making it one of the oldest monuments in Erfurt. The construction costs were 1120 thalers, of which the citizens raised 858 in a collection. The work of an unhanded master builder is made of Wandersleber sandstone and has a square granite base with a laurel-wreathed portrait, name, coats of arms and initials, orders and decorations. In earlier times, a dedication in the stone explained that the "faithful subjects of the local city had built this monument to the best father of the country"in eternal memory".
The Predigerkirche is a Lutheran church in Erfurt, central Germany. It is a monastic church to the Dominican friary, Predigerkloster, adjacent to the church. The name of the Preachers' Church derives from the designation of the Dominicans as "Preacher Brothers". The Predigerkirche was originally built by the Dominican Order in the 13th century, when the mystic Meister Eckhart was prior here. The original building was modified in 1340–50, and the bell tower was built between 1447 and 1488. The church became Protestant after the Reformation. Around 1806, the Predigerkirche was used as a prisoner-of-war camp, which led to damage to the interior and the equipment. Repairs were made around 1826.
5. Neue Mühle
The Neue Mühle is a technical museum on the Schlösserbrücke in Erfurt, Thuringia, Germany. It is located on a tributary of the small river Gera, which operates the waterpower plant of the mill. It contains a flour mill with an undershot Zuppinger waterwheel and is the last functional mill of 60 in the city. It has borne its name as the "New Mill" since its reconstruction after the fire of 1735. Particularly interesting is the preserved material flow over all floors by means of belt bucket elevator. In addition to a grinding cycle, historical roller mills, several plansifters and a mill brake elevator can also be seen.
The Krämerbrücke is a medieval arch bridge in the city of Erfurt, in Thuringia, central Germany, which is lined with half-timbered shops and houses on both sides of a cobblestone street. It is one of the few remaining bridges in the world that have inhabited buildings. It has been continuously inhabited for over 500 years, longer than any other bridge in Europe. The stone, pedestrian bridge, which dates from 1325, is one of the oldest secular structures in Erfurt. It spans the Breitstrom, a branch of Gera River, and connects two town squares – Benediktsplatz and Wenigemarkt.
Isatis tinctoria, also called woad, dyer's woad, or glastum, is a flowering plant in the family Brassicaceae with a documented history of use as a blue dye and medicinal plant. Its genus name, Isatis, derives from the ancient Greek word for the plant, ἰσάτις. It is occasionally known as Asp of Jerusalem. Woad is also the name of a blue dye produced from the leaves of the plant. Woad is native to the steppe and desert zones of the Caucasus, Central Asia to Eastern Siberia and Western Asia but is now also found in South-Eastern and Central Europe and western North America.
The Lutherkirche, together with the Martinikirche in Ilversgehofen, belongs to the parish of Martini-Luther in the Erfurt church district of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany. It was built between the former tram depot and the former police school during the Weimar Republic in the Johannes suburb on Magdeburg Allee. The church is a rectangular building with an oval hall and an approximately 50 -meter -high west tower, its architecture shows characteristics of Expressionism and Art Deco. It is under monument protection and is a station on Lutherweg.
9. Collegium Maius
The Collegium Maius was the main building of the Old University in Erfurt, which existed from 1392 to 1816. A new building built from 1998 in the old style is located after the destruction of the old building in 1945 in the Michaelisstraße in the center of Erfurt's old town, in the so-called "Latin Quarter". The old building housed the rectorate, lecture halls and the university's Great Ballroom. In 2011, the regional church office of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany, which was formed by merger in 2009, moved into the new Collegium Maius.
The Kaisersaal is a traditional cultural and congress centre in the old town of Erfurt. The Erfurt Congress of Princes of Emperor Napoleon I and Tsar Alexander I took place here in 1808 and the Erfurt Party Congress of the SPD in 1891. On April 12, 1946, Communists and Social Democrats held a joint conference in the Kaisersaal to take the "Resolution on the Unification of the KPD and SPD to the Socialist Unity Party of Germany SED" at the local level. The Kaisersaal is located in a listed ensemble at Futterstraße 15/16.
11. Forsthaus Willrode
The Forsthaus Willroda, now called Forsthaus Willroda, listed in the list of castles and palaces in Thuringia, is a complex in the southeast of the Thuringian state capital Erfurt. It lies in the Willroda Forest between Egstedt and Schellroda in the district of Egstedt. The forester's lodge Willroda consists of several buildings, which were built as a fortified estate and later rebuilt and expanded as a hunting lodge, then served as a forester's lodge.
12. Deutsches Gartenbaumuseum
The German Horticultural Museum in Erfurt shows a permanent exhibition with a wide range of topics on around 1,500 m² of exhibition space in the historic defense barracks of the Cyriaksburg citadel. Garden and plant lovers can learn about the growth and benefits of plants, the history of horticulture and garden art. The museum is unique in its kind in Germany and Europe. It is located on the grounds of the Erfurt Horticultural Exhibition (egapark).
St Thomas' Church in the city of Erfurt in Thuringia, Germany, is a United Protestant parish church. It was built in Gothic Revival style in a park on Schillerstraße in the Löbervorstadt district in 1900–1902 to replace the Old St Thomas' Church, which had become too small. It has the second-highest steeple in the city at 72 metres (236 ft) and houses a Gothic altar retable from 1445, which is one of Erfurt's four valuable carved altars.
Wikipedia: St Thomas' Church, Erfurt (EN), Website, Architect Wikipedia, Youtube
14. Neue Synagoge
The New Synagogue is the synagogue of Erfurt, the capital of Thuringia. It is located on Juri-Gagarin-Ring and is the only (used) synagogue in Thuringia and one of only two synagogues built during GDR times. It serves as a prayer room for the approximately 850-member Jewish Community of Thuringia. Apart from it, there is the old and the small synagogue in Erfurt, both no longer used for services.
15. St. Dionysius
The Evangelical Lutheran Dionysius Church stands on the eastern part of a fortified plateau of Möbisburg, a part of Möbisburg-Rhoda, a district of the city of Erfurt, the state capital of Thuringia. The parish Erfurt-Möbisburg belongs to the parish association Erfurt-Bischleben in the church district Erfurt of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
16. Zitadelle Petersberg
Petersberg Citadel in Erfurt, central Germany, is one of the largest and best-preserved town fortresses in Europe. The citadel was built on Petersberg hill, in the north-western part of the old town centre from 1665, when Erfurt was governed by the Electorate of Mainz. It is surrounded by over two kilometres of stone walls and is 36 hectares in size.
17. Erinnerungsort Topf & Söhne
The Topf & Söhne memorial site is a place of remembrance with an exhibition and attached rooms for educational work in the former administration building of the company J. A. Topf und Söhne in Erfurt, which supplied part of the technical equipment for the Auschwitz-Birkenau extermination camp and other concentration camps.
The Roßbrücke is a street bridge in the city center of the Thuringian state capital Erfurt and is one of the oldest preserved natural stone bridges in the city. It is located on the Herrmannsplatz, spanned the walking current, a side arm of the Gera, and serves to open the development of the western city center.
The Schottenkirche in the historical part of the city of Erfurt in Thuringia, Germany, is a Roman Catholic church building dating back to the 12th century. The Romanesque basilica belonged to a former Celtic monastery of St James. Today, it is a subsidiary church of the Catholic parish of St Lawrence's Church.
20. St. Benignus
The Church of St. Benignus is a Protestant village church in the vicinity of Erfurt. It is located in the district of Bischleben in the so-called Mauergäßchen, which connects the streets In der Linde and Backhausstraße. Together with Möbisburg and Rhoda, it now belongs to the Evangelical parish of Bischleben.
21. Sankt Pankratius
The village church of St. Pankratius is located in the district Hochstedt of the city of Erfurt in Thuringia. The parish belongs to the parish of Vieselbach in the Weimar church district of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany. The original church burned down in 1978 and was rebuilt in a simplified form.
22. Sankt Michael
The Evangelical-Lutheran listed Michaeliskirche is in Windischholzhausen, a district of Erfurt, the state capital of Thuringia. The parish of Erfurt-Windischholzhausen belongs to the community association Erfurt-Windischholzhausen in the church district of Erfurt of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
The Reglerkirche is a church building in the historical centre of Erfurt in Thuringia, Germany. It serves a Lutheran parish as a place of worship and is one of the larger churches in the city's old part. In times of the former German Democratic Republic, it was considered a centre of church music in Erfurt.
The Cyriakkapelle in Erfurt is a so-called diaspora chapel designed by the architect Otto Bartning. Built in 1950, it is part of the series church follow-up program of the Bartning-Notkirchen. It stands in the southwest of Erfurt in the Cyriaksiedlung and is a church of the Evangelische Predigergemeinde.
The deer garden is a partially park -like green area in the old town of Erfurt. He was the city's first public green area. Today he is a “park duo” from the historic deer garden from the 18th century and a part that followed by a part of it, which was designed on demolition site from 2007 to 2009.
26. Kirche Wallichen
The Evangelical village church Wallichen stands within a cemetery in the district of Wallichen in the city of Erfurt in Thuringia on the Way of St. James from Görlitz to Vacha. The parish belongs to the parish of Vieselbach in the Weimar church district of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
27. Sankt Bonifatius
The Roman Catholic, listed branch church of St. Bonifatius is located in the Hochheim district of Erfurt, the capital of Thuringia. It is a branch church of the parish of St. Nikolaus Erfurt-Melchendorf in the Erfurt Deanery of the Diocese of Erfurt. It bears the patronage of Saint Boniface.
28. Sankt Lorenz
St Lawrence's Church in the city of Erfurt in Thuringia, Germany, is a Roman Catholic parish church dating from around 1300. The Gothic hall church is located on the northern edge of Anger square and at the beginning of the Schlösserstraße in the centre of the historical part of Erfurt.
Wikipedia: St Lawrence's Church, Erfurt (EN), Website, Website
29. Sankt Ulrici
The listed Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Ulrici is located in Urbich, a district of the Thuringian state capital Erfurt. The parish Erfurt-Urbich belongs to the parish association Erfurt-Windischholzhausen in the church district Erfurt of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
30. Zitadelle Cyriaksburg
The Citadel Cyriaksburg is an originally urban, later Swedish, Electoral Mainz and Prussian city fortress of the 17th to 19th century. It is located on the 265 meter high Cyriaksberg, in the middle of the egapark Erfurt in the southwest of the Thuringian state capital Erfurt.
31. Sankt Viti
The Church of St. Viti am Vitusplatz 4 is one of the two Protestant village churches in the Gispersleben district of Erfurt. It stands under the patronal feast of St. Vitus and today belongs to the Evangelical Church Circle of Erfurt. The building is a historical monument.
32. Haus Vaterland
Haus Vaterland in Erfurt, the capital of Thuringia, is located at Regierungsstraße 72. Haus Vaterland, the former Weimar Geleitshaus in Erfurt, houses the European Information Centre and offices of the Thuringian State Chancellery. The building is a protected monument.
33. Sankt Martin
The Roman Catholic Church of St. Martin is located in the Dittelstedt district of Erfurt, Thuringia. It is a branch church of the parish of St. Nikolaus Erfurt-Melchendorf in the Erfurt Deanery of the Diocese of Erfurt. It bears the patronage of Saint Martin of Tours.
34. Porta Coeli Kirche
The Evangelical-Lutheran, listed village church Porta Coeli stands at Himmelpfortenweg 7 of Kühnhausen, a district of the city of Erfurt in Thuringia. The parish of Erfurt-Kühnhausen belongs to the Erfurt church district of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
The Haus zum Stockfisch is an important Renaissance town house at Johannesstraße 169 in the old town of Erfurt. It was acquired by the city at the beginning of the 20th century and has since been used as a museum, since 1974 it has been the seat of the city museum.
36. Sankt Josef
The Roman Catholic parish church of St. Josef is located in the Ilversgehofen district of Erfurt, Thuringia. It is the parish church of the parish of St. Josef Erfurt in the Erfurt Deanery of the Diocese of Erfurt. It bears the patronage of Saint Joseph of Nazareth.
37. Sankt Severinus
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Severinus is located in Mittelhausen, a district of the city of Erfurt in Thuringia. Mittelhausen belongs to the parish of Riethnordhausen in the Apolda-Buttstädt church district of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
38. Klostergut Alach
The Alach monastery estate was a monastery estate in Alach near Erfurt, which was first mentioned in 1104, which belonged to the Peterskloster Erfurt until 1803. The man's house obtained is shown as a cultural monument, is empty and is acutely threatened by decay.
39. Christuskirche (SELK)
The Evangelical Lutheran Christuskirche is a church in the Brühlervorstadt of Erfurt, Germany. It serves the Erfurt congregation of the Independent Evangelical Lutheran Church (SELK) as a place of worship and belongs to the church district of Saxony-Thuringia.
40. ehem. Kartäuserkloster
Erfurt Charterhouse is a former charterhouse, or Carthusian monastery, in Erfurt, Thuringia, Germany. It was founded in the 1370s: building works began in 1372 and the monastery was accepted into the Carthusian Order in 1374. Work started on the church in 1375.
41. St. Simon und Judas
The Evangelical village church of St. Simon and Judas is located in the district Rohda of the Thuringian state capital Erfurt. The community belongs to the parish association Klettbach in the church district Weimar of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
42. St. Dionysius
St. Dionysius Church (German: St.-Dionysius-Kirche) is the Evangelical Lutheran church in Salomonsborn, Erfurt, Thuringia, Germany. It belongs to the parish of Marbach-Salomonsborn in the Erfurt church district of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
43. St. Cyriakus
The Evangelical village church of St. Cyriakus is located in the district of Azmannsdorf in the city of Erfurt in Thuringia. The parish belongs to the parish of Vieselbach in the Weimar church district of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
44. Sankt Crucis
The Neuwerkskirche at the edge of the historical part of the city of Erfurt in Thuringia, Germany, is a Roman Catholic church building dating from the 15th century. Today, it is a branch church of the Catholic parish of St Lawrence's Church.
45. Kurmainzische Statthalterei
The Electoral Mainz Lieutenancy is a baroque, three-storey four-winged complex around an inner courtyard from the 16th to 18th centuries. It is located on the corner of Regierungs- and Meister-Eckehart-Straße in the center of Erfurt.
St Michael's Church in the historical centre of the city of Erfurt in Thuringia, Germany, is a Gothic church building. It belongs to the Evangelische Stadtmission Erfurt and is the university church of the University of Erfurt.
47. St. Gotthardt
The Church of St. Gotthardt is a village church built in 1211 in the Erfurt district of Marbach. It belongs to the parish of Marbach-Salomonsborn in the Evangelical Church District of Erfurt. The building is a listed building.
48. Gustav Adolf Kirche
The Gustav-Adolf-Kirche is a Protestant parish church in the Herrenberg district of Erfurt, Germany. It belongs to the parish of Erfurt-Südost in the Erfurt church district of the Evangelical Church in Central Germany.
49. Sankt Martini
St Martin's Church in the west of the historical centre of the city of Erfurt in Thuringia, Germany, is a Roman Catholic church building. Today, it is a subsidiary church of the Catholic parish of St Lawrence's.
50. St. Ulrich
The Evangelical Church of St. Ulrich is a listed church building in Alach, a district of Erfurt in Thuringia. The community belongs to the church district of Erfurt in the Evangelical Church of Central Germany.
51. Forum Konkrete Kunst
St. Peter's Church is originally a three-aisled Romanesque pillar basilica and was the abbey church of a Benedictine abbey. It is located on the Petersberg in the center of the Thuringian state capital Erfurt.
52. Kaufmannskirche - Sankt Gregorii
The Kaufmannskirche is a church building in the historical centre of the city of Erfurt in Thuringia, Germany. It is located at the north end of Erfurt's Anger square and has been Lutheran since 1521.
The Pförtchenbrücke is a road bridge that spans the flood ditch of the Gera in Erfurt. The building, which has been a listed building since 1981, is described as the most beautiful bridge in Erfurt.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.